B. GORDON JR. was appointed to the Camden Fire Department to replace
Frank S. Jones, who had had been removed from service as the
driver of the Hook
& Ladder Company, known today as Ladder
Company 1, on June 9, 1871.
the Census was taken in 1860 William B. Gordon, his wife Mary
and baby William were boarding with Mary's mother, Anna Maria Schwaab and
family in Camden's South Ward. Also living there was Mrs.
Schwaab's son William
H. Schwaab. Both William B. Gordon and William
H. Schwaab would serve as members of the Camden Fire
Department after the Civil War, as would another brother-in-law,
John J. Olden, who was
married to Elizabeth Schwaab. Another of the Schwaab clan (the
family also used the spelling Swope), C. Edward Swope, was a
member of the Fire Department in the 1880s.
B. Gordon was a bookbinder by trade, and may have worked for
Robert S. Bender. He lived at 347 Cherry
Street during his time in service with the Camden Fire
B. Gordon was dismissed from his position on January 14, 1872.
He was replaced by Charles
Elfreth, brother of future Chief of
Department Samuel S.
Elfreth. William B. Gordon Jr. was re-appointed on April 8,
1873 as a Stoker. He was then living at 435 Spruce
was still at 435 Spruce
Street when he resigned his position on
October 7, 1874. William B. Gordon returned to service in April
of 1877. He was then residing at 333 Cherry
Street. He was again
removed from service on July 2, 1878. The 1880 Census shows
William B. Gordon and family at 319 Cherry
Street. He appears in the 1883-1884 City Directory at 335 Spruce
Street, but does not show up in any City Directories
afterwards, nor does he appear in the 1890 Veteran's Census or
the 1900 Federal Census.
Philadelphia Inquirer *
January 6, 1903
TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE