THOMAS J. CARROLL was born in Colorado, Pennsylvania on December 10, 1891. When he registered for the draft in June of 1917 he was living at 738 Pearl Street in North Camden. He was then working as a driver for the Victor Talking Machine Company. In July of 1917 Thomas Carroll joined the United States Army and rose to the rank of corporal before the end of hostilities.
After returning to Camden Thomas Carroll found work as a railroad brakeman. He was living with his wife Susanna at 432 North 7th Street in North Camden. She worked as an operator in a dress factory, but would soon leave employ to start a family. He was serving with the Camden Police Department by April of 1925. On April 9, 1925, while in the company of Officer Charles Naylor, Officer Carroll was injured while investigating the underground rooms of "voodoo doctor" E.H.H. Hyghcock.
By 1930 Thomas Carroll and his wife Susanna had bought a home at 15 South 38th Street in East Camden, where the lived with their two sons, Thomas and Richard. Thomas J. Carroll was still serving with the Camden Police Department.
The Carrolls appear to have move from Camden by 1947. Thomas J. Carroll died in September 9, 1958 and was buried at Beverly National Cemetery in Beverly NJ. His wife Susanna died in February of 1985 and was buried by his side.
|Camden Courier-Post - September 17, 1928|
RESCUES BOY, 7, DROWNING IN RIVER
Dives Fully Clothed Into Stream, Swims Ashore With Child
Camden Courier-Post - August 4, 1936
Ralph Cline - Thomas Carroll - Howell Street - Lewis Liberman
August 4, 1936
|CAMDEN COURIER-POST - FEBRUARY 14, 1938|
20 Firemen and Police Save Two Boys Marooned in River
Two small boys, brothers, were rescued after being marooned three hours in a rowboat on a mud flat in the Delaware east of Cooper river.
The rescue was effected by Camden police and firemen after the boys had frantically yelled for aid. Despite their long exposure, the boys were discovered to be in good physical condition when police took them to Cooper Hospital at sundown Saturday.
John Castor, Jr., 11, of 511 North Eighth street, and Thomas Castor, 8, of 1228 North Nineteenth street, ventured out into the Delaware river in a boat they found moored off Ninth street. The mother of the boys is dead and John lives with his father at the North Eighth street address and the other boy with his grandmother, Mrs. Teresa Mather, at the North Nineteenth street address.
The boys said they started to return to shore about 2.30 p. m. and did not notice the tide had gone out while they were in the boat. The boat stuck on a mud flat north of State street on the shore of the old airport. The boys were unable to budge the craft and called continuously for "help!"
About 5 p. m., they attracted the attention of Harrison McNeir, 14, of 822 Birch, who happened to be walking along an embankment. Young McNeir ran to State street and told Patrolman Thomas Carroll and Clarence Barnes, who were in a radio car, about the plight of the boys.
They sent an alarm to police headquarters. Police were unable to reach the boys and summoned the emergency crew of the Camden Fire Department. The firemen, using a rowboat, also were unable to reach the flat.
Finally, a long rope was tied to the waist of Fireman
William Deitz and
he waded out in hip boots to the marooned boat. He tied one end of the rope to the rowboat containing the boys and waded ashore. About 20
firemen and police grabbed the other end of the line and pulled the
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE