B. JANICE was born in Camden, New Jersey in 1930 to Harry R. Janice
and his wife, the former Irene Jane Sullivan. He was the sixth of
nine children, coming after Harry Jr., Mary, Bertha, Irene, and
Catherine, and before George, Evelyn, and John. Sadly, both Mary
and John died in their first year. The family was living at 237 Byron
Street in the Poet's
Row section of North
Camden when the Census was taken in April of 1930. Next door
at 235 Byron
Street lived the Brendlinger family, both Richard Janice and Ed
Brendlinger, who was two years older than young Richard, would
go on to long careers as members of the Camden Fire
Janice's father Harry R. Janice Sr. worked
at the Kind &
Knox gelatin factory at North
5th and Erie
Streets in North
Camden. By 1942 the Janice family was living at 320 Bailey
Street. Harry Janice Sr. had been promoted to foreman at Kind
& Knox by 1947. Older brother Harry R. Janice Jr. later went
into politics and served as a member of the Camden Board of
Education in the 1950s. Harry Janice Sr. passed away in 1957. The
family moved from Bailey
Street in the 1960s.
Janice enlisted in the United States Navy and served for four
years, mostly aboard the USS Waccamaw AO-109. The Waccamaw was a replenishment oiler in the United States Navy. She was named after Waccamaw River. The original capacity was 146,000 barrels (23,200
m3). Waccamaw was laid down on 28 April 1945 by the Sun Shipbuilding and Drydock
Company in Chester, Pennsylvania and launched on 30 March 30,
1946. It was the last of five oilers in the Mispillion class.
In September 1948,
Waccamaw was assigned to duty with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean and, in the spring of 1949, was transferred to the 2nd Fleet for exercises in the Caribbean. A second tour of the Mediterranean followed in the early part of 1950 and a third in 1951, the latter extending to nine months.
After a shipyard overhaul at Boston, Massachusetts, in 1952, Waccamaw participated in the development of the Thompson-Arwood method of fueling destroyers at sea in heavy weather. In 1953, the ship made her first midshipman cruise, which included a visit to Edinburgh, Scotland. During the summer of 1954, Waccamaw was again in the Mediterranean for her fourth tour with the 6th Fleet. This was followed by logistic services in the western Atlantic and Caribbean. On a second midshipman cruise in 1955, she visited Copenhagen, Denmark and Edinburgh, Scotland. In the fall of 1955, the ship entered the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard for overhaul and proceeded to the Caribbean for training the following spring.
completed his military service, Richard B. Janice returned to
Camden. He was appointed
to the Camden Fire Department on November 16, 1956. New Jersey Bell
Telephone Directories from 1959 through 1970 show him living at
32nd Street in East
Camden. By 1977 he had moved to 214 North
37th Street where he is listed through 1992. He later moved to
Haddon Heights, New Jersey
the early 1990s Richard Janice served at Engine Company 7 in the second
platoon, with Captain Vincent Ardire and fire fighters, David Hicks,
George Wilson, and Frank McGuckin.
Janice served the City of Camden for over 40 years. He retired on June
Janice resided in Atlantic City in his later years. He passed away
on September 11, 2012, survived by six children, thirteen
great-grandchildren and four of his siblings.