drowned when his boat capsized in the Delaware River off Gloucester on
August 6, 1893.
1900 Census shows William and Sarah Shaw at 311 Division
Street with children May,
P., 17; and William H. Jr., 14. John
P. Shaw first appears in Camden City Directories at 311 Division
Street in 1902. He worked as
a blacksmith and horseshoer until May of 1916, when he was appointed to
the Camden Fire Department
April 20, 1904 John
P. Shaw married Mary E. Johnson at Union
Methodist Episcopal Church. On November 17, 1904 a son, Albert
Jarvis Shaw, was born. The Shaws are listed at 316 Division
Street in the 1905 and 1906 Directories, then moved to 816 Line
Street for 1907 and 1908. John P. Shaw had a blacksmith business at Ferry
Avenue and the White Horse Pike in these years. The 1909 Directory
shows the Shaws at 241 Spruce
Street. The 1910 Census and 1911 City Directory lists the Shaws at
Street. In 1913 John P. and Mary E. Shaw are listed at 331 Liberty
Street. From 1914 to 1916 the family was at 1210 South
P. Shaw's father, who resided at 286 Mt.
Vernon Street, died in 1916. John
P. Shaw and family moved to 286 Mt.
Vernon Street to be with his mother. On May 18, 1916 John
P. Shaw was appointed to the Fire Department to replace William
E. Laird, who had been injured at a fire in Collingswood, New Jersey
and forced to retire. John P. Shaw served with Engine
Company 7 on Kaighn
family stayed at 286 Mt.
Vernon Street for a year or so. By September of 1918 they had moved
to 322 Sycamore
Street. Another son, John P. Shaw Jr.,
was born on February 1, 1918 and baptized at Kaighn
Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church on June 8, 1919.
P. Shaw left the Fire Department in 1920. He worked as a
blacksmith for a time at South Front Street and Kaighn
Avenue. Late in 1922 or early in 1923 he moved to Haddon Heights,
New Jersey where he became a police officer. He served for 23 years
with the Haddon Heights Police Department.
P. Shaw's son, Second
Lieutenant John P. Shaw Jr., was killed in France when the plane he
was co-pilot of collided with an RAF plane on July 18, 1944.
retired in 1946. He passed away at his home, 1937 Sycamore Street in
Haddon heights, on January 4, 1947.
He had been a member of Ionic
Lodge No. 94, Free and Accepted Masons.