PRIVATE JOHN CUNNINGHAM was born December 10, 1890 in Gloucester City NJ, the son of George and Elizabeth Cunningham. His father worked on the ferries that crossed the Delaware between New Jersey and Philadelphia at Kaighn Avenue, first as a fireman and later as a watchman. The family lived at 432 Cumberland Street at the time of the 1900 Census, and had moved to 1221 South 2nd Street, just off of Kaighn Avenue, by 1910. The family had moved to 1748 Fillmore Street by 1914.
When he registered for the draft on June 5, 1917 John Cunningham was working as a carpenter at the McAndrews & Forbes licorice factory on Jefferson Street in Camden, New Jersey. He was living with his parents at 1748 Fillmore Street, a short walk from his job. Single at the time, he noted on his draft card that he had a "bad right arm".
Before going overseas, John Cunningham married, and lived with his wife Olive M. Cunningham near the home of his parents on Fillmore Street. He was serving in France as a member of the 303rd Ammunition Train, 78th Infantry Division, when he was crushed to death between two motor trucks on January 28, 1918. He was buried at Semur, France with full military honors, then re-interred at the St. Mihiel American Cemetery, Thiaucourt, France.
John Cunningham was survived by his parents, his wife, and a daughter that was born shortly after he died, named Olive, after her mother. Also surviving were brothers, James and William, a sister, Elizabeth, and a step-sister, Martha Whilden. The Cunningham family was still at 1748 Fillmore Street into the 1930s.
RETURN TO CAMDEN COUNTY WAR DEAD INDEX
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE