In Honored Glory!
World War II Honor Roll

Francis J. Knox

Technical Sergeant, 
U.S. Army Air Forces


98th Bomber Squadron,
11th Bomber Group, Heavy

Entered the Service from: New Jersey
Died: July 2, 1944 
Missing in Action or Buried at Sea
Tablets of the Missing at Honolulu Memorial
Honolulu, Hawaii
Awards: Distinguished Flying Cross, 
Air Medal with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters, Purple Heart

98th Bomber Squadron 11th Bomb Group, Heavy

TECHNICAL SERGEANT FRANCIS J. KNOX was born in Camden NJ in 1923 to John R and Helen Knox. In 1930 the family lived at 1019 Segal Street. The family, which eventually included 15 children, by then included John F., Mable C., Francis J., Matthew A., James, and Edith. John R. Knox supported his family by working as a painter in one of Camden's many shipyards. His uncle, Archie Knox, was well-known in North Camden as a prizefighter in the late 1920s.

By the time of World War II, the family had moved to 59 York Street in Camden, in the North Camden section. Francis J. Knox went to high school for one year, then worked for the John R. Evans & Company before entering the Army in November of 1942. Three other John R. Evans employees, Norbert C. Rowan, Morris Wilson Rickenbach Jr., and Raymond Price, also gave their lives for America during World War II. 

He qualified for flight duty, and served as a gunner on a B-24 bomber. Francis Knox was highly decorated by the time he was lost, on July 2, 1944 during a mission from the 98th Bomber Squadron's base on Kwajalein against Japanese installations on Eniwetok Island. Besides Technical Sergeant Knox, the crew consisted of the following men:

1st Lieutenant Andrew J. Sheerin
2nd Lieutenant LaVerne Nusbaum
2nd Lieutenant Fred T. Schafer
2nd Lieutenant Wells A. Brayton
Technical Sgt. Francis J. Knox
Staff Sgt. Robert A. Mote
Technical Sgt. Jesse W. Conduff
Staff Sgt. Job P.M. Austin
Staff Sgt. James R. Schneider
Staff Sgt. Charles A. Palmacci
Staff Sgt. Benjamin F. Topelnicki

Francis Knox was reported as missing on July 2, 1944. This was reported in the Camden Courier-Post on August 17, 1944. His aircraft was never recovered, and he was declared dead by the Army on February 13, 1946. He was survived by his parents and siblings. His brother John was serving in the Army, and his brother Matthew was in the Navy at the time of his death.

Sister Edith Knox later married Robert Hawkins. Their son, Francis Hawkins, was named in Technical Sergeant Knox's memory.