61st Station Hospital
United States Army

The 61st Station Hospital
U.S. Army Medical Unit recruited and shipped overseas intact from Cooper Hospital


The 61st Station Hospital

The 61st Station Hospital was recruited intact from Cooper Hospital. The idea was born in the hospital's staff room shortly after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. The result was the 61st Station Hospital, first civilian hospital group to be accepted by the War Department in World War II as a station hospital.

Before the next three years had passed the 61st treated an aided in the evacuation of more than 20,000 men wounded in combat in North Africa, Sicily and Italy.

As stated above, the 61st Station Hospital was the first in military history to be formed from a community hospital and one of the few, if any, to stay together as a unit throughout World War II . Organized by Dr. George B. German, Cooper Hospital's chief obstetrician, the 61st served in the Mediterranean Theater from 1942 to 1945. Their first 10 month assignment was in a former French Foreign Legion outpost in El Guerrah, Algeria, after which they moved on to Foggia, Italy, where they remained for the duration of the war. Today, there is a plaque inside the main entrance to the hospital honoring the men and women of the 61st Station Hospital. 

The unit arrived in Algeria on Christmas Day, December 25, 1942, a scant seven weeks after the American landings in North Africa.

After moving to Italy, the 61st Station Hospital came under fire on occasion, but fiorthuately, suffered no casualties. However, one nurse, Second Lieutenant Mildred Shimp, serial # N-744893, was killed in a jeep accident while serving with the 61st in Italy.

Red Cross volunteer workers were assigned to the 61st Station Hospital during its stay in Italy. One such volunteer, working under an assumed name, was the British-born actress Madeleine Carroll, star of Alfred Hitchcock's The 39 Steps, Secret Agent, and forty other movies. In 1938 she was the highest paid actress in Hollywood, with a reported salary of $250,000. Madeleine Carroll gave up her film career after her sister Marguerite was killed in a London bombing raid, working in military hospitals as a Red Cross nurse. She was given the Legion d'Honneur for bravery in France.  

On November 1, 1945 the 500 bed 61st Station Hospital was moved from Foggia to Leghorn, Italy as the United States' military presence in Europe was contracting. The unit was disbanded November 15, 1947. 

Besides Second Lieutenant Shimp, another of its nurses was killed in overseas due to accident. Five enlisted men assigned to the unit were killed during a mass air raid in Italy. Two other enlisted men died of non-combat related reasons while overseas. Nine members of the unit were awarded the Bronze Star. The unit received the War Department Meritorious Service Plaque and Certificate of Merit; the Presidential Unit Citation and three battle stars.  

61st Station Hospital Personnel Buried in American Cemeteries Overseas

  Name Rank Ser No State Date of Death Plot Row/
KLIMCHOCK, JOSEPH PFC 32257846 NJ 2-Dec-43 0 Tablets of the
American Cemetery
Nettuno, Italy
MCCUE, WILLIAM T. TEC4 12073797 NJ 2-Dec-43 0 Tablets of the
American Cemetery
Florence, Italy
VILLERS, CHARLES E. SGT 15073405 WV 15-Sep-44 E 13/21 Sicily-Rome
American Cemetery
Nettuno, Italy
WHITTLEY, LEE E. PFC 38229094 TX 17-Oct-45 H 13/6 Sicily-Rome
American Cemetery
Nettuno, Italy

In the early 40's Cooper Hospital had a nursing school. My oldest sister Harriet E. Gellenthin trained there and remained there on the nursing staff. She and other nurses there joined the Red Cross but remained under the employment. Shortly after that the 61sy Army Station Hospital was formed with Dr. German as commanding officer and made up I believe totally of Cooper Hospital doctors and nurses. 

After a brief indoctrination  at Fort Hancock the unit was deployed to Oran, Africa by ship. In essence they followed U.S. Army drive across North Africa operating much like the MASH units we're familiar these days. Upon leaving Africa they were transported by ship to the harbor of Bari, Italy. On the day of arrival the hospital personnel disembarked. To my knowledge the Bari disaster occurred that night or shortly thereafter.            

George (Bud) A. Gellenthin Jr.
Lieutenant, USN (Retired)
January 2008

Second Lieutenant Harriet Gellenthin
packing in preparation for going overseas

One way to get a gauge of sorts as to the activities of the 61st Station Hospital during its time in Foggia is to read excerpts from the War Diary of the 1st Emergency Rescue Squadron, a unit charged with rescuing Army Air Force personnel who had been downed in the Adriatic and Mediterranean seas.  Many of the sea rescuaes made by this unut were taken to the 61st Station Hospital. 




1-31 JULY 1944


1 July 1944:


            Captain Ruckman and Lieutenant Millard flew to Naples in the L-5. The Lieutenant will catch a 1430 boat for Capri, where he will stay for a weeks rest.


            Joscha Heifetz, international1y renowned concert violinist played on two successive days (30 June & 1 July) at the Fagella Opera House, Foggia to an appreciative soldier audience; spellbinding them by the magic of his Stradivarius. The artist, on tour of foreign Army camps, is one of the few musicians who has not yet prostituted his profession by blending classics with jazz.


            No patrols, missions or rescues today.


2 July 1944:


                  Lieutenant Eisrman and crew were on patrol from 11:20 until 12:10 when given a fix at 420 38'N 160 48’E. After searching for six hours, and finding nothing, they returned to base at 1800. 

            At Grottaglie, Captain Gray, Lieutenant Walker and crew were on patrol for three hours.  

            At Ajaccio, Corsica, Lieutenant Jarman and crew were on a search for 3:25 hours but only debris was sighted in the search area.

                   Lieutenant Milburn and crew, with Captain Ruckman piloting, added another nine survivors to the Squadrons growing total of 52, making it now 61.  The ten (1 dead) crew of an “Azon”, one of five B-17’s with secret radio installations, was rescued in its entirety; on flight “B” fourteenth consecutive mission since change of station to Foggia Main--9 May 1944.

             The survivors, nine in al1, are from the 301st Bomb Group, 419 Bomb Squadron located at "Long Skirt Tower", Foggia, Italy.

             Take-off for the group of five "Fortresses" was scheduled for 0700 and climaxed at 0735.  The target was a railroad bridge near Szolnok, Hungary. The unlucky B-17 No 232103, salvoed its bomb load in a light, inaccurate burst of flak after circling over the target for the third time.

 None of the planes were shot down. At 1115 on the return flight and when about twenty miles from the Yugoslavian, coast, a heavy barrage of shell fire was sent up to a height of twenty thousand feet and flak, as thick as hail rained in all directions. The port wing and fuselage were perforated, seriously wounding the port waist gunner whose legs were riddled by flying fragments. , While over the Adriatic Sea, the top of No 1 engine, began to smoke and the t1p or the wing glowed red with flames. The pilot called "Big Fence” and the radio operator sent out the approximate ditching position (42o50’N-16o50’E).  Their own planes, in the company with two P-38's, circled expectantly. The ditching, at 1305, occurred about ten miles off the southwestern coast of Yugoslavia.  The B-17 set down on the hard surface of the water with moderate impact, and remained afloat 1 minute and 30 seconds; during which brief interim the occupants escaped with difficulty through the top hatch of the radio compartment; greatly impeded by the gun which cou1d not readily be dismounted.  The dinghy’s which should have sprung automatically inflated, out of the wing stowage, were at last manually released by the frenzied men. The raft in the port wing sank and was, lost; that on the starboard side floated upside down and had to be pneumatically distended with a hand pump while the crew bobbed up and down, like corks, in their life vests. The engineer stunned by a blow on the head could not pull the release cord on his Mae West and drowned before help could reach him.  The dinghy was at last righted and although constructed to accommodate five; all nine climbed aboard. The drowned man was dragged aboard and repeated futile attempts at resuscitation were made. Beyond all hope, the engineer was secured to the dinghy by a length of rope.  There was no panic or hysteria, even when inf1ation of the stubborn capsized life raft seemed impossible.  Emergency kits and additional vests were dropped by the bombers overhead.  One P-38 donated a wing tank. The fliers were in the dinghy a total of two hours and twenty minutes before being rescued by Captain Ruckman, Lieutenant Milburn and crew in PBY No 958, which took-off from Foggia Main and 1anded on a choppy sea at 1515.  Deserved credit is given to Lieutenant Haynie who, with almost uncanny precision, navigated the Catalina to the exact position which was 42O 3l’N-17O 4l’E. Before landing, six hundred ga1lons of gaso1ine was jettisoned from the port wing tank to lighten the load and thereby facilitate landing and take-off operations. The "Cat" taxied up to the dinghy--a rope was thrown and caught and the raft was hove to.  Corporal Giza, Surgical technician entered the dinghy and applied a splint to the waist gunner’s fractured leg.  The raft was steadied by Staff Sergeant Cox, Engineer, and Sergeant Hendrix, Radio Operator. Landing at home base was accomp1ished at 1755.  The survivors, and the dead engineer, were conveyed by ambulance to the 61st Station Hospital.


1. Pilot                         2nd Lt Olavarri, Phillip                        0-747474

2. Co-Pilot                     2nd Lt Thompson, Vernon D.               0-765355        

3. Navigator                   2nd Lt Haldeman, Jack                         0-696089 

4. Bombardier                2nd Lt Gale Jr, Benjamin E.                  0-747952 

5. Radio Oper                T/Sgt Calvert, Arthur                   15329821

6. Port W. Gunner S/Sgt Sawyer, Eugene W                   11043413  

7. Ball T Gunner              S/Sgt Walker Paul G.                           2044lE<O3               

8. Tail Gunner                S/Sgt Floyd, William B.               39659516

9. Starboard W. G.         S/Sgt Benninger, Norbal              35398516 


 1. Engineer                    T/Sgt Houston, James L.                 17070962                  


Pilot                              Capt Ruckman, Thomas M.             0-424164  

Co-Pilot                         2nd Lt Mi1burn, Walter B.         0-739828

Navigator                       1st Lt Haynie, Otho J.             0-725869

Crew Chief                     S/Sgt Cox, Allen B.                 38194913  

Engineer                       Sgt Lasater, Paul A.                         17122437

Radio Operator             Cpl Bols, Haro1d A.                         35625492 

Radar Operator             Sgt Hendrix Louis L.                         37224826 

Surgical Technician             Sgt Giza Stanley F.                         3660281   

3 July 1944:

                   Precisely four months to the day, we left Hampton Roads Virginia, U. S. A., and embarked on the first leg of our journey overseas. We since graduated from the novice category into that of the veteran upperclassman.   

            At Ajaccio, Captain Walton, Lieutenant Nonnenmacher and crew were called on a search ten miles from home base.  At 1110 they had sighted their objective and were 1anded at sea. Taxiing up to a Walrus they sighted a dinghy with a body aboard.  Apparently the body of one of the occupants of the L-5 reported in distress.  The French Pilot of the Walrus was taken aboard the Catalina and an HSL was called to pick up the body. The Catalina returned to base at 12:50 hours.  Returning to base it was discovered that the body which they had seen was that of 2nd Lieutenant Carl R. Mingle, of flight "C", this organization. Private First Class Daniel J. Rickwald, Headquarters Flight, who was in the L-5 with Lieutenant Mingle apparently, was lost with the plane when it collided with the Walrus. 

           Lieutenant Mork, Lieutenant Milburn and their respective crews went on two operational missions at 1340. Respective five hour searches revealed nothing more exciting than empty floating life vests and a dinghy.

 4 July 1944:

             What a dull Fourth!  What a long span of years, frequently punctuated by bloody wars, extending from l776 to 1944.

             Patrol by Lieutenant Mork and crew of Flight “B”, netted nothing; as was the case with Captain Gray, Lieutenant Walker and crew out on patrol for 3:55 hours from Grottaglie Field. Captain Gray, Lieutenant Burns and crew of Flight “A” were out at 18:55 hours on a fix at 4lO 45’N-180 00’E, for 1:25 hours but nothing of consequence could be found.

 5 July 1944:

             No operational flights for Flight “A” or “B”.

                   Lieutenant Bleier and crew were out from Ajaccio, Corsica at 13:20 hours. They returned at 16:45 hours reporting a “belly tank" (Extra tank carried by Fighter aircraft for long range activity) at 42O 28'N-08O 33'E.

 6 July 1944:

                   Lieutenant Milburn and crew, on patrol in the Ad1riatic Sea, Foggia Main, for 3:15 hours, sighted nothing.

                   Lieutenant Jarman and crew in search from Ajaccio, returned at l6:00 hours without results.

 7 July 1944.

             No patrols, missions or rescues, only the usual “run of the mill” happenings today, for Flights “A” and “B”.

                   Lieutenant Bleier and crew on search &t 42O37N-08014’E and returned at 1025 hours but made no sighting.

 8 July l944:

             Word was received today that in accordance with Paragraph, 12, Special Order 176, dated 27 June 1944, Lieutenant James B Stanisfer Jr., 0-570388 and Lieutenant Rudolph D Buchholz 0-567500 were promoted to 1st Lieutenants.  Lt Stanisfer is engineering Office for Flight “B” at Ajaccio, Corsica.

             Second Lieutenant Victor P. Orella Jr., 0-447228, Supply and Mess Office for Flight “B” was promoted to 1st Lieutenant in accordance with paragraph 12, Special Order 186, dated 7 July 1944.  These men were the first Officers to receive promotions in the Squadron.

                    Lieutenant Eisman and crew added another survivor to the Squadron’s total which is now 62.      A remarkable if not miraculous escape from death was actualized over the Adriatic Sea at 08:30 hours today.  The Fifteenth Air Force, participating in one of its frequent mass raids sent seven hundred and fifty mixed “heavies”, (Liberators and Fortresses) with abundant Fighter escort to bomb targets in the Vienna Sector.  The objective assigned to the 376th Bomb Group, having a combined strength of sixty eight B-24’s and led by Colonel Graff, was that of a railroad terminal lying thirty miles West of Vienna, Austria. 

             Take-off for this particular group was at 0645 hours from San Pancrazio, Italy. The “hapless” B-24G No 78, was the fourth p1ane to enter formation. Enroute to the target and while flying at an altitude of 14,000 feet, Second Lieutenant Emil G. Brecel, Bombardier and acting waist gunner heard, as did the other, the spine chilling ring of the emergency bell. Snapping on their chutes the crew, expectant and with bated breath, awaited the signal to jump. However, the Pilot speaking over the interphones, told the men he was only testing and not to worry.  About thirty minutes later the Engineer informed the crew of his intention to transfer fuel from one tank to another and specifically warned them against smoking.  Hardly had he finished then the Bomber was rocked by a mighty explosion. The Radio Operator with whom the Bombardier was conversing disappeared as if into, thin air, and the snug-fitting helmet and oxygen mask worn by Lieutenant Brecel was snatched from his head. The plane was spinning and tossing. The Bail Turret Gunner with a huge lump on his forehead was ghostly white; the Bombardier tried to free him but failed. A series of explosions, from the starboard wing tanks, hurled him from one side of the plane to the other like a solitary cracker in a revolving barrel. At this juncture the bombs, with instantaneous fuses let go with a deafening boom.  There was a gaping hole where the tail had been and the tail gunner was missing. The nose and starboard wing had been blown off.  The "Liberator" with its one remaining occupant clinging in terror to the port waist window and admittedly praying as he never prayed be fore, whirled crazily through space. "I do not know how it happened; I only recall that I jumped out tugged frantically at the rip cord. The “chute” opened, with a jerk, about eight hundred feet above the sea. I struck the water and immediately sank--tangled in the shroud cords of the parachute. I pulled on the release cord but my “Mae West” would only partially inflate. I was becoming over powered by a feeling of helplessness and utter futility. I was getting weak--couldn't stay up much longer.  Suddenly I noticed a big yellow oxygen drum floating by; summoning my reserve strength I swam for the tank and hugged it with all that was in me.  I held tight for what seemed an eternity; I felt myself slipping: then a Catalina' came."

                  Lieutenant Eisman and, crew received the call and took-off from the base at 0905 hours. Thirty minutes later they were at the search area. (42o 20N-16o 28E) A lone survivor clinging feebly to a metallic tank was seen in the midst of scattered wreckage. Partially opened parachutes, that looked for all like giant water lilies -- flight jackets with sleeves and collars burned away, charred "Mae West’s” and boxes, a series of yellow oxygen bottle's, dismembered parts of human bodies, floated by as they taxied through the debris.  The survivor who went into delayed shook and was promptly and efficiently treated by Sergeant Paulo, was the only one rescued. A B-2 and another "Cat" from Flight "B" circling overhead searched for other possible survivors but none were discovered.  PBY No 959 returned to base at 1115.  The patient was taken, to the 61st Station Hospital in a waiting ambulance. The "lucky" sole survivor, uninjured except for lacerations over the left eye, was Second Lieutenant Emil G. Brecel, 0-741453, who was from the 5I4th Bomb squadron, 376th Bomb Group. The Lieutenant is 24 years old, married and lives at 276 Addison Avenue, Elmhurst, Illinois.  It was his fourteenth mission.


Pilot                              2nd Lt Eisman, Charles, F                     0-739747

Co-Pilot                         2nd Lt Jackson, Ben                            0-739792

Navigator                       2nd Lt Witt, James H.                         0-676196

Crew Chief                     T/Sgt White, Gaither E                                  32470969

Engineer                       Cpl Utley, Billy H.                            13106332

Radio Oper                    Pfc Wortz, Gordon H.                                 16070376

Radar Oper                    Sgt O'Brien, John J.                                     31179479

Surgical Tech                Sgt Paulo, Edward S                                  35287896

             At Grottaglie Field, Italy, Captain Gray, Lieutenant Walker and crew were on patrol for four hours.

 9 July 1944:

                   Lieutenant Jackson on temporary duty with Flight “B” was ordered on a search, in the L-5, for a B-17 which yesterday had the tail "chewed off" by another “Fortress” while flying in formation and was thought to have crashed on a mountain summit not far from Foggia Main.  Upon return he reported that no one had escaped alive. The luckless B-17 can only be reached by mule-pack train.

                    Lieutenant Milburn and crew were on patrol for three and one-half hours.  Late the same crew, on stand-by, was summoned by a whistle.  The British Controller had given a "fix” on a P-38 which was reported to have ditched in the Adriatic, about three miles off the Italian coast, south of the seaport of Termoli.  Upon arrival at the position indicated: 4lo58’N-l5o05’E: an oil slick and floating debris was sighted. A short interval of, taxiing brought the PBY within easy reach of three men-two white and one colored without visible means of buoyancy (life vests or rafts) and each as naked as the colloquial "jay-bird", who, exhausted from their two mile swim out to the vicinity of the wreckage, were glad to Stop treading water and lie down on the bunks of the PBY; which taxied its passengers close to shore, where they were told, that from there in they were on their own.

             The distance yet to be traversed was comparatively short in the light of the marathon endurance record they had just set. What they could have done to aid the unfortunate Fighter pilot, were he alive, is yet a mystery.  Questioning disclosed the reason for the long swim and the names of the would-be lifesavers. Two P-51's and a P-38 were enjoying a common Sunday afternoon diversion that of "dog fighting." or sham aerial combat. For some reason, yet undetermined, the P-38 went into a spin and failed to recover. The three men already alluded to as long *distance swimmers': 1st Lieutenant George J. Nash, and Robert Deckman of the 52nd lighter Group and Sergeant Waddy Conway (Colored) 322nd Fighter Group, seeing the disaster from shore, stripped to the skin and plunged to the rescue.

             When the war has ended there is yet a service we can render or should we supplant the life guard in his lawful undertakings?

              Lieutenant Jarman and crew taking, off from Ajaccio at 2035 hours sighted two men on Vacca Rock at 380561N-08027'E. Because of the heavy swells and high wind emergency rations were dropped from the PBY, which returned the base because of darkness at 21:50 hours.

                 Lieutenants Walker and Cleveland flew in an L-5 “Our Baby", from flight "A" to flight "B".  Lieutenant Colonel Pardue, Captain Ruckman and Sergeant Giza are spending a week of rest on Capri.  Lieutenant Eisman and Witt are visiting in Naples.

             Lieutenant Nonnemacher and crew of Flight “C” in Ajaccio were out on patrol for 3:05 hours.

                   Lieutenant Jarman and crew were out for 2:50 hours with orders to check on the rescue of the two men from Vacca Rock. Nothing was sighted. The two men, sighted the previous day, had been rescued by a Navy barge,

            No missions for Flights "A" and "B" today.

11 July 1944:

            The wind blows incessantly; whipping up baby twisters that chase sand banks, as thick as fog, over the “Foggia Flats".  Pneumonia from dust inhalation, a very real possibility, may become an actuality.  Call it pneumoconiosis--if you will, but by any name, it’s still rough on the breathing apparatus.

            No missions for Flights "A" and "B”.                  

                  Lieutenant Jarman and crew out on a search from Ajaccio were led to a man in a dinghy, a Spitfire Pilot who had bailed out at 430 31'N-100 01E by another Spitfire. The sea was, very rough with heavy swells and a landing was unadvisable. They circled the man in the dinghy until relieved by Lieutenant Nonnenmacher and crew. Warwicks which participated in the mission dropped “Lindholm” gear and two airborne life boats which ail landed downwind of the survivor. He made no attempt to paddle to equipment for fear of upsetting in the rough sea and because of his weakened condition. The total flying time for the two Catalinas on this mission was 16 hours and 20 minutes.  The survivor was finally rescued by a High Speed Launch.

12 July 1944

                      Although Flight "B"'s camp is seething in an ocean of sticky, dark brown gumbo; they are glad it poured rain yesterday--anything to be relieved of the dust respirators and to get a breath or fresh air. The “dust bowl” is inactive at least for a while.

             Three planes from Flight “C” were out on varied searches with a total of 13:35 flying hours but no, survivors were located.  Lieutenant Jarman and crew located an oil slick and debris at 42o19’N-09055’E.

 13 July l944

                  Lieutenant Mork and crew left on a mission shortly after twelve noon accompanied by three P-38s.  They searched the north-east Adriatic, dangerous territory, within a few miles of Pola, Italy. All that was seen of the ditched Bomber, possibly a B-24, was an expansive oil slick. The search was otherwise without results.   Taking off from Ajaccio at 0545 hours, with a Fighter cover of three "Spits" a PBY from flight “C”, piloted by Lieutenant Jarman proceeded to the given “fix” at 43047'N-09009’E. Arriving at the position at 0653 hours they sighted the survivors, dropped flares and, contacted sector for permissi9n to land, as an HSL was 35 to 40 miles away.  Permission granted, the PBY landed at 0705 hours and found (5) five survivors clinging to an overturned dinghy.  All survivors were in excellent condition and were able to climb aboard the rescue plane with only slight assistance from the crew.  After their wet clothing was removed the PBY made a smooth take-off from the comparatively calm sea.

             It was learned that they were survivors of a B-25 that had ditched.  Two other members of the crew T/Sgt Harold S. Winjum, Radio operator and S/Sgt V. E. Mac Ritchie, Tail gunner, are known to have gone down with their plane.

             The following survivors were assigned to the 489th Bomb Squadron, 340th Bomb Group.

 Pilot                              1st Lt Mitchell  John L.                         0-796854

Co-Pilot                         2nd Lt. Walker, Anson J.          0-828747

Navigator                       2nd Lt O'Connell, William             0-700042

Bombardier                    1st Lt Hol1ingsworth WM      0-724240

Turret Gunner                S/Sgt Hertel, Robert L.                         19050373


 Pilot                              2nd Lt Jarman, T. C.

Co-Pilot                         Capt, Wells, Robert M.

Navigator                       1st Lt, Wel1ing WIlliam B.

Flight Surgeon               Smith, Nelline C.

Engineer                       T/Sgt Trinca, F. J

Engineer                       S/Sgt English, Daniel A.

Radar Operator             Sgt Dill, Charles

Radio Operator             CpL Holzer. Loren R.

             Taking off at 1325 hours from Ajaccio Corsica in another PBY Lieutenant Bleier and crew, with fighter escort, preceded to the "fix" position. After a search, lasting forty-five minutes they located an oil slick at 1407 hours.  A few minutes later a man, in a dinghy, was sighted at 43o04’N-08038’E. A British Walrus was in the area and had dropped smoke flares but could not land because of the heavy swells and strong wind. The "Cat" made a successful landing at 1410 hours and taxied to the lone survivor: Adjutant Paul M. Veyrones, of the 327th “Spitfire" Squadron.  After the survivor was helped aboard the PBY made a successful take-off despite heavy swells and returned to Aspretto Base, landing at 1515 hours.

                 Two other planes of Flight “C” were out on searches from Ajaccio but without results.

 14 July 1944:

                   Lieutenant Milburn and crew in, out on patrol from Foggia Main today from 1130 to 1630 brought in no ditching casualties.

             Captain Gray, flight Commander for “A” Flight is convalescing from an emergency appendectomy performed on July 9th at a Station Hospital near Manduria, Italy.

                     Lieutenant Colonel Pardue and Captain Ruckman met in Naples on their return from Capri, by Captain Wells and Captain Dwyer, flew in the B-25 to Foggia Main.  Lieutenants Turnbull and Lyle, from Flight “A” flew to Foggia Main in "Our Baby" an L-5.

             Flight "C", Lieutenant Bleier and crew were out on a search from Ajaccio, Corsica to 43o58’N-09O12'E but without sightings.

                   Lieutenant Walker and crew were on patrol in the Adriatic Sea for 4:S0 flying hours.

 15 July l944:

            Flight “B” added another six survivors, bringing, the accumulated sum up to 74. The honors went to Lieutenant Mork and crew.

                    “Liberator" No 522, a B-24J, with a mixed nine man crew--two of the regulars had the week before, been “lost” over Budapest and an equivalent number had recently been hospitalized because of injuries, took-off from a base near Cerignola, Italy at 0700 hours on 15 July 1944.  The target for the day was Ploesti; the oft-pounded heart of Romania Oil production and the arterial supply of Nazi fuel--so vital to the perpetuation of this a global war. The liberator, one in a formation of forty planes, was the seventh bomber in "Box-B2".

            Starting with full wings and Tokio (auxiliary tanks) 2,700 gallons and using approximately three hundred gallons hourly to remain in formation the bomber flew to the target at an altitude of 16,000, laid it's “eggs” on the objective from 21,000 feet and on the way back held an altitude of 18,000--until it happened.

             At 1045 hours dense, black clouds of billowing smoke indicative of direct hits on refineries and oil fields arose to a height of, 15,000 feet. Flak over the target area was tight and inaccurate--a "Milk Run" as the boys call it but their return flight held all of Pandora's box of surprises. '"Ack-ack" as deadly as the cobra's strike, poured its explosive venom into the formation.   A bomber on the port side, with a wing, blown off, veered in flames and spun to its, end--another and still yet another followed the self-same path of destruction. It is not know; but No 522 may hate been hit.  To have escaped, unscratched, from an inferno of screaming, fragmenting shells, seems inconceivable. The engineer, who all the way had been transferring fuel, tried repeatedly to empty the reserve tanks--but failed because of a stoppage in the feed lines.  Props three and four were feathered and engine one and two, with less 50 gallons of gas in the main tanks were sputtering.  They were now over water and ditching was imminent.  Everything loose or that could be dismounted was immediately jettisoned, but to their consternation the camera hatch could not be closed. Hurriedly they assumed the predetermined ditching positions, heard the long funeral peal of the emergency bell and with hearts in their throats waited - perhaps they offered up a prayer--the last for three men. The Pilot with full 400 flaps, held the glide for almost sixty minutes then stalling out at 100 miles per hour the bomber crashed into the sea. The tail at once broke into pieces, and sank carrying three, of the crew to their graves. The forward part of the fuselage, buoyant because of the empty tanks, remained afloat for fifty five minutes. The dinghy, in response to the engineers tug, on the release levers, sprang inflated out of the wing storages.  All on the flight deck scrambled to safety, filling their Mae Wests before they felt the cold water rise over them. Soon all including the injured none gunner with a scalp laceration, and the tail gunner with a broken leg, were in the rafts. Within a space of twenty minutes, two B-24's began to circle overhead. One, because of low fuel supply abandoned its station but the other, by flying, continued to mark the spot of disaster. The ditching was reported to have occurred at 1305 hours.

             PBY No 957, piloted by Lieutenant Mork, on patrol since ll30 and later assigned to the mission landed at sea one hour and thirty minutes after the ditching; picked up the six survivors and returned at 1630 hours to Foggia Main, where two waiting ambulances transported the patients to the hospital.


 Pilot                              1st Lt H. B. Williams               0-755484

Co-Pilot                         F/O Grady J. Bakus              T-2772 

Bombardier                    2nd Lt William D. Zeil                           0-7l7012

Engineer                             Sgt William H Penley                  34599729

Nose Gunner                 Sgt Thomas C. Davis                35425854

Tail Gunner                    Sgt C. L. Norton                                   16061298


 Pilot                              2nd Lt John H. Mork                 0-739983

Co-Pilot                         F/O Joseph D. Murphy             T/61216

Navigator                       1st Lt Otho J. Haynie               0-725869

Crew Chief                     T/Sgt Louis Birard                   33160l37

Engineer                       Sgt Dan C. Brown                       39683082

Radio Oper                    S/SGT Kenneth E Pettle                l805226l

Radar Oper                    Sgt Elmer C. Rhodes             33212363

Flt Surgeon                   Capt Pau1 E. Craig                0-493698

                  Lieutenant Eisman and crew score a near miss rescue but were credited with an “assist”.  They arrived on the scene ten minutes too 1ate.  A fleet of Italian fishing boats had already made the pickup.  They did however radio the position to a crash boat which lost no time in getting underway. The harmonious interaction of a1l modes of air and service craft are showing increasing1y laudable results in saving lives of fliers downed at sea.

             The total strength of the Squadron at of this time is 45 Officers and 158 enlisted men.

 16 July 1944:

                  Lieutenant Bleier and crew, from, Flight “C” at Ajaccio, with a Fighter escort of four “Spits” took-off at 0615 hours and proceeded to the, given “fix” of 42o47’N070’E. After searching the immediate area for forty minutes a lone survivor was located in a one-man dinghy at 42045’N-07000’E. A landing was accomplished in the choppy sea and the survivor taken aboard.  Sergeant G.K Rug, 420885, RAAF Pilot from the 153rd "Beaufighter” Squadron at Alghero, the survivor, stated that he bailed out of his disabled plane from an altitude of 10,000 feet and that one of his crewmembers also bailed out about one and one-half minutes before he did.  As sergeant Rug was uninjured the PBY was again airborne and the search continued.  After the area had been thoroughly covered, with the aid of HSL #99, a Warwick and a Wellington without results, the “Cat” returned to Aspretto Base landing at 1200 hours.  This rescue brings the total survivors for the Squadron up to 75.


 Pilot                                          2nd Lt Bleier, E.

Co-Pilot                                     2nd Lt Murray, T. F.

Navigator                                   2nd Lt Lonsdale, J.

Crew Chief                                 S/Sgt Dillard, J.

Engineer                                   Sgt Whittamore, C. T.

Radar Operator             Sgt Mc Donald, W.

Radio Operator                         Sgt Feinsinger, J.

Surgical Technician                     Sgt Wargo, John

             Captain Walton, Lieutenant Nonnenmacher and crew were on search at 390l7'N-03039'E for seven hours but without results.

                  Lieutenant Mork and crew of Flight “B” were on patrol over the Adriatic Sea.

 17 July 1944:

             The transportation problems are well on its way to solution.  Flight “B” now has two weapons carriers and a truck.  We hope the party or parties who last Monday, 10 July 1944, purloined, requisitioned, appropriated or other wise unlawfully acquired their jeep--which was parked near the entrance of the Twelfth Air Force Officer’s Club, is apprehended or is bucked out of the contraption by the trick shimmy in the steering apparatus.

             No missions, patrols or rescues.

  18 July 1944:

                   Lieutenant Searfoss, our Adjutant, has been discharged from the 40th Station Hospital in Ajaccio, and is showing marked improvement; although still obligated to hobble about on crutches.

                   Excitement, drama and daring were featured in today’s rescue, the total now being 76. Lieutenant Milburn and crew took-off on a mission from Foggia Main at 1605 hours.  They were shortly joined by their Fighter escort, six "Spitfires" and proceeded to the "fix" given, that of 42054’N-17O21’E. The dinghy was sighted in enemy waters about 1300 yards off the Yugoslavian coast and less than a mile from Mijetski Channe1, being guarded from enemy capture' by two "Spits" flown by buddies of the chap in the dinghy. PBY No 958 circled to land--tension was electric.  Shore batteries rumbled; deadly ack-ack spewed lead; jets of water from splashing shells, trailed the Catalina, in its mad race to the dinghy.  That one was close—more uncomfortably close--less than 40 feet. A hit would mean a baptism of fire and possibly the end.  They must hurry; time was precious, not a second to lose. One engine was cut, the other idled. The “Cat” was riding the swells.  Spurts of water were nearer now, hemming them in, the “Jerries” had found their range.  Strong arms helped the survivor aboard. The engines thundered--spray showered the blister hatch.  The Catalina straining mightily lifted, cross-wind from the sea, and like a living thing fleeing from its captor, climbed to the safety at a sunset sky and headed home.  The five minutes consumed in the landing and take-off seemed like an eternity.  Old “958” landed on Fogga Main at 1820 hours and the plucky but uninjured survivor; Flight Lieutenant Walker of the 6th "Hurricane" Fighter squadron, RAF, who halis from Yorkshire, Eng1and, was conveyed by ambulance to the 61st Station Hospital.

                           PBY CREW

 Pilot                              2nd Lt Walter B. Milburn             0-739826

Co-Pilot                         2nd Lt Murrel Busby                             O-750334

Navigator                       1st Lt Otho J. Haynie                           0-725869

Crew Chief                     T/Sgt Allen B. Cox                              38194913

Engineer                       S/Sgt Wesley Claxton                                     38116782

Radio Oper                    Cpl Harold A. Bols                           35675492

Radar Oper                    Sgt Louis L. Hendrix                                     37224826

Surgical Tech                Sgt Stanley F. Giza                                     36602581

 19 July 1944:

                  Lieutenant Milburn and Lieutenant Eisman with their respective crews were out, on patrol but their efforts netted nothing.

                  Lieutenant Turnbull and crew, of flight “A”, were on patrol over the Adriatic for three hours.

 20 July 1944:

                  Lieutenants Eisman and Milburn with their crews were assigned separate missions.  Lieutenant Eisman and crew, after circling for hours returned to the base when their Fighter escort failed to appear. Lieutenant Milburn and crew after some delay were favored by Fighter escort; but the assignment was unproductive.

             At 1330 hours, a B-25 with the port engine feathered crash-landed on Foggia Main. Such occurrences here are numerous and usually attract little attention--but when it was discovered that two of flight "B"'s men were aboard this incident became one of paramount concern.  Pfc Wherlin and Pfc Pistolozzi, having "hitch-hiked," an aerial ride from Naples, were aboard. It was Pfc Wherlin's good luck to escape with only minor abrasions—although he was obviously badly shaken.  Examination at the hospital revealed no other injuries.  Pfc Pistolozzi, however was admitted to the 61st Station Hospital, after first having been "cut-out" of the wreckage.  He sustained a severe, compounded dislocation of his right ankle and a deep laceration of his right hand.

                  Questioning elicited that, shortly after take-off from Capadichino Field near Naples, the port engine began to sputter and the Pilot promptly feathered the prop.  Everyone was tense--parachutes were harnessed and in readiness. It was cold, over the mountain but every forehead was beaded with perspiration. The handicapped B-25 lowered, for a landing on the east-west runway but was greeted from the tower, by a red flare.  Simultaneously a “Beaufighter” was making a landing on the north-south mat.  The B-25 tried to pull, up but the remaining engine stalled, slid to the left, struck a wing and the medium bomber piled up in a mass of twisted wreckage on the north-south approach at the extreme end of the field.

                  Lieutenant Witt, Mavigator, Flight “B”, was admitted to the hospital in, Foggia, late this evening. 

 21 July 1944:

             B-24H No 250315 manned by a veteran crew took-off from San Giovanni Field at 0725 hours on 21 July 1944.  The target for the day was Brux, Germany.  Flying in formation with 500 other “heavies" mostly Liberators, it reached the objective at 1207 hours, dropped its, bomb load on the target with the precision of, long practice and headed back, in a fog of flak.  Number 4 engine which had been hit and half of the prop shot away was immediately feathered.  The pilot trimmed the plane and continued, not without a twinge of trepidation, on the return course.  He had experienced three engine flights before but this time he to1d himself he might not be so fortunate; a man’s luck is bound to run out sooner or later.  While over Klagenfurt No 2 engine sputtered and quit.  It was then he realized it was not a state of nervous excitement but a ghastly premonition!  He feathered the prop of No 2.  If another engine should stop it would be impossible to fly.  Tension was mounting. The oil pressure in No 3 was failing fast. In agitation he cut the supply of fuel and the giant prop became stationary.  Three of the engines had stopped--and No 4 heating rapidly!  The radio operator sent out frantic “Maydays”.(Calls of distress) They were over water and loosing altitude, hundreds of feet per second.  Downward it weaved striking the water, at l510 hours, with a bone-breaking impact. The fuselage cracked and broke, off just behind the wings and the tail seemed to pulverize before their startled eyes.  The plexiglass in the Pilot’s compartment shattered.  Each man for himself, they were frenzily engaged in a scramble to free themselves from the sinking prison, which remained afloat for about five minutes.  The dinghy’s did, not spring automatically inflated out of the wings; and had to be literally dug out by the engineer. The bail turret gunner weighted down by his ponderous flying suit was too far from the dinghy and sank to his death, in a “Mae West" which stubbornly refused to inflate, before help could reach him.  Others of the crew whose life vests did not distend were in close proximity to the raft and reached their safety by swimming.

             One of the dinghies had to be inflated manually much in the manner of pumping up a bicycle tire.  Finally the two rubberized rafts containing the survivors were 1ashed together with a rope and paddled by the occupants to Dugi Otok a sea-locked island not far distant.  On the beach while starting a fire by which their clothing was dried they were companioned by a gruesome human skeleton, with decaying flesh still clinging to its stinking bones.   An hour passed, they heaped more wood on the fire, for warmth and what they hoped would serve as a signal.  A "Catalina” circled overhead, flares were sent up hastily.

                  Lieutenant Mork and crew, on patrol over the Adriatic, were assigned by the Controller to a mission with a "fix” of 43O49’N-15000’E at 1515 hours. Under cover of six P-5l's, one hour and ten minutes elapse from time of call-reception until the survivors were located on the island.  The sea, with ten to twelve foot swells, was rough. A thirty mile wind was blowing. Visibility, because of haze, was poor (about 5 miles). One of the P-51's was instructed to investigate a fire on the nearby land. Upon return he reported that those for whom we had been searching were stranded on Dugi-Otok.  The "Catalina” set down and rolling and pitching taxied between huge boulders as close to shore as possible. The men on the beach boarded the dinghies and overjoyed, rowed out to the "Cat" which hove an anchor.  Because of the injuries of one of the survivors it took about fifteen minutes to lift him through the blister into the plane. The "Catalina" battled the sea on the take-off but won the struggle.  Landing on Foggia Main at 1935 hours the patients we're taken to the 61st station Hospital. This makes a total of 85 survivors rescued by the Squadron.


Pilot                              1st Lt Willard L Schuessler                    0-750698

Co-Pilot                         2nd Lt Robert W. Baker                            0-702194

Navigator                       2nd Lt Louis T. Clarke                         0-703705

Engineer                       T/Sgt E. E. McNaney                              19056113

Radio Oper                    T/Sgt Robert C. Williams                        13097070

Top T Gunner                 S/Sgt Floyd Coverston                                     19089634

Photographer                 Sgt Joseph Caspano,                                  15353755

Tail Gunner                    S/Sgt Frank J. Gavigan                         12020949


Pilot                              2nd Lt John H. Mork                             0-739983

Co-Pilot                         F/O Joseph Murphy                         T-61216

Navigator                       2nd Lt Redmond w. Colnon             0-798755

Crew Chief                     T/Sgt Louis Birard                               33160137

Engineer                       Sgt Dan C. Brown                                   39683082

Radio Oper                    S/Sgt Kenneth L. Pettle

Radar Oper                    Sgt Elmer C. Rhodes                                     33212383

Surgical Tech                 Sgt Edward S. Paulo                            35287896

                 Lieutenant Nonnenmacher and crew were out from Ajaccio, but were unable to find survivors.  Numerous life rafts and debris of various description was sighted. An HSL NO 2595 picked up debris.

22 July 1944:

            Flight "A" accomplished another successful rescue. Two survivors of a ditched B-24 in "Mae-Wests" and a third man floating face down, obviously dead, were sighted, at 1830 hours. They were scattered over a square mile area.  An empty, capsized dinghy, surrounded by fading sea marker and charred debris were also seen.  The sea was rough with eight to ten toot swells and a brisk wind was blowing.  Smoke floats were dropped to limit the region of search and the B-25 overhead continued to circle. A water landing was made with difficulty and the survivors (2) were picked up singly from amidst floating objects. Because of the high rolling billows nothing over two hundred feet away could be clearly detected.  The pilot thought the sea was too rough to execute a take-off and radioed for an HSL, at Bari, to stand by in event of failure.  However, by skillfully pilotage the seemingly impossible was effected. The final bounce carried the Catalina fifty feet into the air where it balanced indecisively and straining courageously was at last airborne.  Permission to land at the airport in Bari was granted and made at l930 hours. The survivors were Second Lieutenant W. S. Schneider, Navigator and Sergeant Lewis Toledo, Ball Turret Gunner, both from the 464th tomb group, 777th Bomb Squadron. Eight men were lost in the ditching.


Pilot                              2nd Lt Bilsland, Leonard M                     0-739710

Co-Pilot                         2nd Lt Burns, Ona W.                                      0-811005

Navigator                       2nd Lt Melvin, Robert T.                     0-682215

Flt Surgeon                   Capt Mattison, Robert E                      0-504064

Crew Chief                     T/Sgt Asbury, Paul L.                                      663403O

Engineer                       S/Sgt Gill, Samuel A                           36261819

Radio Oper                    Cpl Stahl, Harold A.                         l2149133

Radar Oper                    Sgt Bolles, Gerald R                                     12161969

            The total survivors for the Squadron is now 87.

            No missions for the other flights today.

23 July 1944:

                 Lieutenant Eisman and crew of flight "B" were on patrol from l2OO to 1545, but were not called on a mission.

                 Lieutenant Walker and crew were on patrol in the Adriatic sector for three hours.

                 Lieutenant Jarman and crew were sent from Ajaccio to escort a plane or planes along a course between Cape Ben Sekka and Cape San Vito, but no plane arrived and they returned to base at 1945 hours.

24 July 1944:

            Much to every ones surprise, Captain Craig, Flight Surgeon for Flight “B”, and Squadron Historian was admitted to the 6lst Station Hospital, in Foggia. It was discovered in a recent X-Ray of his chest, taken at the 12th General Hospital, that he has pulmonary tuberculosis in the upper lobe of the left lung. Although minimal, it was advisable that he be hospitalized to determine the extent of activity.

            It was determined that Lieutenant Witt, Navigator in flight “B”, confined in the hospital since the latter part of the week has malaria.

            Pfc Pistolozzi, injured in a B-25 crash-landing at Foggia Main on the 20th of the month, was transferred to the 26th General Hospital in Bari.  All of the boys, who at the time were able to get away, went down to the plane to see him off.

                 Lieutenant Eisman and crew were on a flight to Vis, off the coast or Yugoslavia, from 1l30 hours to 1540 hours.

                Lieutenant Mork and crew were out on a search this afternoon, but without results.   

                 Lieutenant Bilsland and crew of Flight “A” were on patrol from Grottaglie Field.

            Captain Walton and crew were out from Ajaccio to search area around given “fix” of 39Ol8'N-05045'E, but only debris was sighted.

25 July 1944:

            Captain Ruckman, with Lieutenant Milburn's crew and plane, was on search but without results. Lieutenant Milburn is on a week’s rest-leave at Capri.

                 Lieutenant Jarman and crew from Flight "C” were ordered to search same area covered by Captain Walton the previous day.  Numerous large turtles were a sighted which resembled men in “Mae Wests", but no survivors.

             Lieutenant Bleier and crew from Ajaccio were called on a mission at, 42048'N-09005’E where a man in a dinghy was sighted.  As HSL NO 175 was nearby it was lead to the survivor.  After the survivor was picked up by the High Speed launch, the Catalina returned to Ajaccoi landing at 1535 hours.

 26 July 1944:

             We have been “sweating out" Lieutenant Eisman and crew from Foggia Main since 1130 hours. They returned however, at 2000 hours with the information that the plane which had sent out the distress call had landed at a nearby airfield.

                    Lieutenant Bilsland and crew were out from Grottaglie Field, Italy, twice today.  In the earlier part of the day they were on patrol.  Later in the day they were called on a mission but no sightings were made.

             A new Officer was added to the Squadron today. Second Lieutenant Robert L. Barkman, 0-809303, was assigned from 2638th Fighter Headquarters Platoon (Prov) Bastia, Corsica, per paragraph 2, Special Order 87, dated 26 July 1944, Headquarters, 63rd Fighter Wing.

             Two planes were out from Ajaccio today but without sightings.

             Second lieutenant Robert B. Bell, Flight “C” was transferred to 2638th Fighter Headquarters Platoon (Prov) Bastia, Corsica.  The second man to leave the Squadron since its original formation.

  27 July 1944:

             Early this morning Lieutenant Mork and crew, on stand-by, received a call.  Just as they were about to take-off the Controller cancelled the mission, however at 0930 hours they went on patrol. While patrolling they sighted a sea-marker pack from a "Mae West”.  Its position was relayed to an HSL and the same was picked in anticipation of future erroneous reports of a man down at sea. They returned at 1520 hours.

             Effective today the fo11owing Officers are authorized to shine their gold bars to silver, in other words, they are now 1st Lieutenants, in accordance with paragraph 12, Special Order 206, dated July 1944, Headquarters, NATOUSA.

 Name                                        ASN                             Flight

Bilsland, Leonard                         0-739710                A         

Bleier, Edward W                     0-739712                C

Eisman, Char1es, F Jr                 0-739747                B         

Mork, John H                             0-739983                B                     

Walker James F                        0-739874                A

             Flight “A” had one plane on patrol over the Adriatic and Flight “C” had two planes on searches in the Mediterranean but no survivors were located.

 28 July 1944:

            This morning Captain Craig was transferred to the 26th General Hospital in Bari, for further study and observation.

                 Lieutenant Eisman and crew were out on patrol from 0930 hours to 1700 hours. At 1300 hours they were assigned a “fix” which was later rescinded when the B-24, known to have sent out the distress call with three props feathered, landed at Foggia Main.

            Pvt Mc Mahon was relieved from assigned to this organization this date and will proceed by military aircraft to Personnel Center No 2 for trans-shipment to the United States.

29 July 1944:

            PBY No 022 (The Original Brown Derby) on its way to Naples, landed at Foggia at 1130 hours.  Captain Gray, Flight Commander of Flight “A” will be presented with the British Distinguished Flying Cross for an act of heroism in the rescue of an Australian Pilot, the Squadron’s first rescue, last April.    At 1300 hours Lieutenant Eisman and crew were sent to 1ocate Lieutenant Haynie and Busby who had been out in the L-5 from Foggia Main, much longer than expected.  The searches returned at 1330 hours to report that the L-5 had been located and was parked at a field close-by, where the Lieutenants were visiting friends.

                  Lieutenant Jarman and crew from Flight “C” were out on a search for a German p1ane which sent out an SOS but nothing found.

30 July 1944:

                  Lieutenant Mork and crew were out on patrol from 1300 hours to 1400 hours but were not given a “fix”.

            Pfc Mort Kiser, now in Flight “B” underwent a tonsillectomy this morning.

            Captain Walton, Lieutenant Nonnenmacher and crew were sent on a search at 43030’N-09040’E. After one hour of searching, an oil slick and parts of a plane were sighted, broken in small pieces and scattered over a large area.  Nine mines were also sighted under the surface of water, but no survivors.

            One of Flight "A"'s, planes was on patrol from Grottaglie Filed, for three hours.

31 July 1944:

                 Technical Sergeant Louis Birard having an elevated temperature of unknown origin was taken to the hospital, there to be placed under observation.

            One of Flight “A”’s planes was on patrol for four hours and one of Flight “B”’s for five hours but were given no "fixes".

            As of 31 July 1944 the Total strength of the 1st Emergency Rescue Squadron is 45 Officers and 156 enlisted men. This month a pilot was lost and a Navigator gained, 1eaving the Officers strength the same.  Pfc Pistolozzi and Private McMahon were lost to the Organization lowering the enlisted strength by two.

            This being the last day of the month we record the total of survivors to date as 87, with several additional assists which are not accounted for in the aggregate total.

WALTER W. SEARFOSS                                              1st Lt., Air Corps
Squadron Historian

The 61st's Unit patch was the Services of supply( A red/White and Blue round patch with a star in the center. Upon losing their hospital equipment they moved to Foggia and began supporting the Army Airforce. The unit was an integrated Army Air Force/ Army Hospital. Apparently retaining the 61st Station Hospital name. My sister noting that the Airforce Patch included wings on the same basic design, replaced the Army patch with the Airforce patch. Upon returning to the states she was assigned to an Airforce facility in Atlantic City NJ, They remark that she was one of the first of the returning Airforce Nurses and welcomed her with open arms, About a week later, they, not being able to locate any records indicating she was in thge Airforce., said to her, "You're not one of ours" ,and immediately transferred her to an Army receiving station and she ultimately ended up in Florida.             

George (Bud) A. Gellenthin Jr.
Lieutenant, USN (Retired)
January 2008