Founded in 1894, the Woman's Club of Camden provided an engine where the women of Camden could harness their energies to effect improvements they deemed necessary to the betterment of the city. In a time where women were not permitted to vote, Camden's Woman's Club was an active participant in the efforts that led to the founding of Camden's library system, and in bringing about the hire of matrons to attend to female prisoners at the city and county jails. The group also participated in Red Cross efforts during World War I, and was parent of the larger movement that brought kindergartens and public playgrounds to the children of Camden.

Many of the members were the wives and daughters of the city's leading citizens. Had in not been for the times that they lived in, many of these women would have been well recognized in their own right. Without a doubt the Woman's Club of Camden N.J. laid the foundation for the success, after women gained the right to vote in 1919, of political leaders Emma Hyland and Mary Walsh Kobus in the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s. 















ORGANIZED 1894                                                           FEDERATED 1895


History of Woman’s Club of Camden

              The Woman’s Club of Camden was born one winter afternoon, to be exact on Friday November 16, 1894, at 306 Temple Building with Miss Mary McKeen, originator of the plan for such a club, present and Mrs. A.O. Dayton, Mrs. E.L.B. Godfrey, Mrs. Price, Mrs. A.H. Reeve, Miss Fearon, Mrs. Howard Cooper, Miss H. Reeve, Mrs. Joline, Mrs. W. Jenkins, Miss Woodhull, Miss Morton, Miss A. Grey, and Miss Champion interested with her. Two guests, Mrs. Church, of Memphis TN, and Miss Watson, of Doylestown PA, were also at the meeting. Miss McKeen explained the object of the meeting, i.e., to form a woman’s club whose aim should be the intellectual and literary culture of its members.

            The baby club was fairly launched and it was decided to elect guardians in the form of officers for some several periods of years. Miss McKeen, the founder of the association, was made its first president; Mrs. Price, Vice President; Miss Ellen Fearon, Secretary and Treasurer. The Directors were Mrs. A.H. Reeve, Mrs. A.O. Dayton, Mrs. W.F. Rose, Mrs. Howard Cooper, and Miss H. Reeve.

For a time there was some indecision as to the child’s name, several different ones being offered. The Sappho, The Elizabeth Haddon, The Pegasus, and The Woman’s Club of Camden were all suggested for consideration, but the broad name of Woman’s Club was adopted.

            Dues were decided upon, $1.00 and initiation fee $1.00, for a beginning. At one of the early meetings, December 12, 1894 “It was proposed that members rise when speaking,” and a motion to that effect was made and carried. The first club paper was read by Mrs. Price and was entitle “The Depew’s Dinner to the Bowery Boys.”

            On May 1, 1895 an election of officers was held and Miss McKeen was elected President; Mrs. Price, Vice President; Miss Fearon, Secretary and Treasurer.  The Directors changed a little from those first in office, Miss Farrell, Mrs. A.H. Reeve, Miss Burrough, Mrs. A.O. Dayton, and Mrs. Howard Cooper. It was decided however to separate the duties of Secretary and Treasurer, and Mrs. Price could not act as Vice President. Another election was held where Mrs. Howard Cooper was made Vice President, and Mrs. C.K. Binder, Secretary. Mrs. W.F. Reeve, Mrs. Fred Rex, Mrs. M.S. Pickering, Mrs. Oliver Smith, Mrs. W.J. Williams, and Mrs. Walter Zimmerman were added to the executive board. On May 29. 1895 a Club Constitution was printed and formally adopted. The following charter members signed it: 

Mrs. William Henry Price

Mary E. Sherky

Celia E. McCreight

Lucie Cooper Joline

M.A. Cassidy

Ethel Potts Grey

Mrs. W.L. Casselman

M.C. Rose

Alice Croasdale Grey

Mrs. M.L. Pickering

Laura C. Vroom

Nettie Potter

Helen Tuxbury

Laura Reeve

Jennie E. Boyer

Katherine Conrad

Anne DuPont

Mary R.C. Reeve

Florence Zimmerman

Lucy Smyth Cooper

Rebecca H.C. Reeve

Anna Farrell

Alice M. Williams

E.C. McGrath

Margaretta Willis Reeve

Hester M. Watts

Mrs. S.T. Ringel

Mary McKeen

Clara S. Binder

Mrs. M.F. Ivins

Ellen M. Fearon

Florence Prince

Mrs. F.L. Starr

Louisa D. Voorhees

Mary G. Woodhull

Emilia K. Archer

Mary Ayer Godfrey

Anna M. Hollinshed

Helen P. Graves

Elvira M. Woodward

Harriet Newell King

Katherine Patton

Sarah Fitzwater

Gertrude Hollinshed

V.N. Browning

Francis M. Fearon

Laura M. Thompson

Helen McKeen Dayton

Margaret Mulford Head

Amanda H. Heyl

R.G. Ayer

Julia A. Starr

Anita Marie Hamel

Lillian Chew Smith

Louisa F. Rex

Carrie Hackett

Julia Grey Dayton

Lucia Drake

Ella H. Fagen

Mary Joy G. Reeve

Clara R. Titus

Lillie W. King

Mary H. Heyl

Mary A. Burrough

Minna M. Bargh

Lilian Dickson

Elizabeth Cooper Reeve

Laura W. Scull

Hannah C. Reeve

Agnes H. Morton

Alice K. Bechtel

Naomi Wood

Nellie M. Schrack

Ida P. Ringel

Rebecca C.W. Reeve

Sarah Bernard Black

M.B. Jenkins

Katherine Marie Fagen

Marietta Kay Champion

Eva McC. Holmes

Helen C. Betts

Mary DePuy Shapleigh

Lizzie McCreight

Katherine Walsh

Mary Wetherill Watson

            At the first fall meeting, October 1, 1895 the Club voted to become a member of the New Jersey State Federation of Women’s Clubs. On October 29, 1895 the club began to hold its meetings at the corner of Third and Federal Streets. In November Mrs. Drake read a paper on “The Necessity of a Pure Water Supply for the City of Camden,” and on motion a committee of five we3re appointed to further this object by investigation and petition to proper authorities. Committee were Mrs. Herbert Drake, Mrs. S. Scull, Mrs. W.F. Rose, Miss Tuxbury, and Mrs. Howard M. Cooper.

            Sections on Language, Whist, Kindergarten at home, were formed, and in February of 1896, section on Photography, Music, Literature, and Current Events were established.

            At the April 1896 meeting the Club, by resolution, requested the appointment of a police matron, both in the County Prison and the City Jail. Also came up the discussion of a free kindergarten for the city. Miss McKeen, a member of the Kindergarten committee, spoke in its favor, explaining its benefits. A motion was made by Miss Fearon that the Club should undertake the raising of $300.00 for the founding of a free kindergarten. A committee to collect was appointed, five members immediately pledged $25.00 each, and eleven members pledged $10.00 each. An association was formed, and on May 12th a motion was made and carried that the association consist of sixteen members, and the Woman’s Club should be represented by three members for each $100.00 contributed.

            At the May 12th meeting election was held, when Mrs. Wilson Jennings was made President; Mrs. W.F. Reeve, Vice President; Mrs. E.E. Read; Second Vice President; Miss Laura Reeve, Treasurer. Directors for two years, Miss McKeen, Mrs. J.W. Thompson, Miss M. Campbell, Mrs. John Starr, and Mrs. Howard M. Cooper. A report was read that the petition for Police Matron had been presented to headquarters.

            At the last meeting of this season, May 26th, the chairman of the Pure Water Committee reported that the city had awarded a contract for pure water from artesian or driven wells, and the committee was dissolved.

            A committee was appointed to secure quarters for the Club meetings and found a very nice room at 209 Cooper Street, at a rental of $18 per month where the Club took possession on September 12, 1896.

            The first meeting in the new club room was held October 12, 1896, with the new President, Mrs. Wilson Jenkins, in the chair. At this meeting a contribution of $2.00 was made toward a token of appreciation to the retiring State Federation president, Mrs. Yardley.

            In November the Whist Section reported a membership of twenty, Current Events of eight, and Photography of seven.

            It was decided this month top call for the meeting of the State Federation to be held in Camden with the other South jersey clubs to assist.

            Also in December it was considered desirable to entertain Professor Graham Wallace who was a lecturer of the University Extension Series that winter in Camden.

            The Kindergarten Committee reported $509.75 had been collected from all sources; $344.75 from the club alone, entitling the Club to 10 representatives on the committee.

            At the January 1st, 1897 meeting Miss McKeen asked that the President appoint a committee to again request the Board of Freeholders to appoint a Police Matron for the prison. Miss McKeen and Mrs. A.H. Reeve were appointed. At the next meeting it was reported that a surplus of furnishing money had been spent, as authorized for three dozen teaspoons, this was very satisfactory to the Room Committee, as they had before this brought their own silver for the Teas. The Civic section reported 25 members.

            On February 23rs, at a meeting held in the evening, the Photographic Section provided an Exhibit of X-rays, lantern slides, and a lecture. One interesting feature of this lecture was the taking of an X-rat photograph of the hand of the President, Mrs. Wilson Jenkins, which photo was at a later meeting shown to the members of the club.

            In March the Civic Section reported that it had divided into two branches, an Educational and a Social Science branch.

            On March 31st the resignation of the President, Mrs. Wilson Jenkins was received and regretfully accepted. Mrs. William Foster Reeve became Acting President and so presided for the remainder of the season.

            At the annual meeting in May of 1897 the election provided the following officers: President, Mrs. C.K. Binder; Secretary, Miss Laura Reeve; Treasurer, Mrs. William C. Dayton; Directors, Miss Anna Farrell, Mrs. Erwin Graves, Mrs. Mahlon Ivins Sr., Mrs. A.O. Dayton, Mrs. E.L.B. Godfrey.

            The Kindergarten Committee reported progress in its work and that there was a fair prospect of the State being induced to take the work of the Free Kindergarten as a part of the Public School system.

            A special meeting was held on June 20th of this year, with the new President, Mrs. Binder, in the chair, to make some preliminary plans for the entertaining of the State Federation and in the fall another meeting was held for this purpose also, the Club was now holding its sessions in the large room at 209 Cooper, with the addition of a small room at a rental of $20.00 a month.

            The Presbyterians having most kindly granted the use of their church for the Federation meeting, it was arranged to have a lunch served there by members of the Club aided by their friends. The program was in party an address of welcome by our President, Mrs. Cyrus K. Binder, to which response would be made by Miss Cecelia Gaines, the Federation President. The entertainment for the evening was a concert by the Glee Club, of Englewood, a Lecture, and Reception. The members of our Club entertained about seventy-five of the federation Delegates in their homes.

            On October 5th the Club authorized the sending copy of our Constitution to the Half Hour reading Club, of Merchantville, at their request, for their help.

            At an early meeting in October a committee of three was appointed to cooperate with the Women’s park, and other Associations, to petition the Park Committee of City Council to put aside the Cooper Mansion for a free public library and on November 29th this Public Library Committee reported that over $2000.00 and some 1,000 books had been collected or promised and a call had been sent out for a Public Meeting.

            At the April session Miss Mary McKeen was nominated for President of the N.J. S.F.W.C.

            Mrs. F.W. Reeve was made First Vice President; Mrs. J.S. Hackett, Second Vice President; Mrs. W.C. Dayton. Treasurer, and Miss Heyl, Miss McKeen, Mrs. A.H. Reeve, Mrs. George Vroom, and Miss E. Fearon, directors at the May 1898 election.

            At the special meeting was considered the advisability of founding a Legal Aid Society, and a committee was appointed to act. Subscriptions toward the expenses of a Working Girls’ Club were collected to the amount of $78.00 and a committee was later established to take vigorous action in its establishment.

            At the May 2nd, 1899 election Mrs. Binder was reelected President, and Mrs. E.L.B. Godfrey, Secretary. Directors for one year, Mrs. E.G. Reeve and Mrs. Maness; while Dr. Sophia Presley, Mrs. George Black, Mrs. J.M. McGrath, Mrs. E.S. Woodward were elected for two years. At this meeting was received the final report of the free Kindergarten Committee, Mrs. Howard M. Cooper, Chairman. (Extract from report). “As a result of agitation on the subject of Free Kindergarten in the Woman’s Club a meeting was held at Raymond Academy, and a public meeting on March 24th, 1896, to consider the feasibility of establishing one or more Free Kindergarten Schools in Camden and at a second meeting the Woman’s Club offered to be responsible for the sum of $300 annually for three years with suitable representation on the Committee of Management. This obligation has been fulfilled on both sides. The Club paid the Kindergarten Association $900.00 and of the management, thirteen have always been Club members. The Committee consisted of sixteen members.

A school was established in Wildey Hall with enrollment of 25 to 30 children, for the last of these winters an afternoon session was held to accommodate 18 to 20 more.

Apart from the school itself the Association has urged the claims of this branch of education upon the Commission of Public Instruction with the promise of its being engrafted upon the Public School system of our city.”

Early in September Mrs. Churchman Meteer and Miss Betts of the Room Committee moved the Club properties to the new Club room at 311 temple Building, where the first fall meeting was held on October 17th, 1899. At this meeting Mrs. E.S. Woodward, Chairman for the collection of $113.00 for the Working Girls’ Club, reported $113.00 collected and a bit more yet to come. At this meeting Mrs. W.C. Dayton resigned as treasurer and Mrs. Clarence A. Adams elected in her place.

  At the January 1900 meeting a collection of $2.00 per member for the sustenance of the free public Library was arranged for, and at the February meeting Chairman of the Library Committee Miss Mary Heyl reported $169.25 collected for subscriptions to Library sustenance., and President was President was empowered to hand this sum to the Trustees of the Library.

After the May election the Officers for the following year stood as follows: President, Mrs. C.K. Binder; First Vice president, Mrs. W.A. Davis; Second Vice President, Miss H.C. Reeve; Treasurer, Mrs. C.A. Adams, Secretaries, Mrs. E.L.B. Godfrey, Mrs. George W. Black, Directors, Mrs. Levi Farnham, Mrs. S.E. Maness, Dr. Presley, Mrs. E.S. Woodward, Miss Mary Heyl, Miss Mary McKeen, Mrs. J.S. Hackett, Miss M.H. Edgar, and Mrs. F. Wayland Ayer.

October 1900, the first fall meeting was held at the Library Building of the Baptist Church and the second meeting at 310 Market Street. At the November meeting a motion was made that “No member shall be eligible for the office of President unless she has served at least one term on the Executive Board,” and this was adopted.

On February 5th, 1901 a communication from Governor Voorhees was read acknowledging the receipt of petition from the Woman’s Club in the matter of appointment of a woman on the Board of Factory Inspectors.

March 5th in response to a request of the Palisades Preservation Committee the Club sent a letter endorsing the giving of State aid and urging the legislature to vote for it.

On May 14th, 1901, Miss Mary McKeen was again elected President; Secretary, Mrs. Farnham; Directors for one year, Mrs. E.L.B. Godfrey and for two years, Mrs. E.S. Woodward, Mrs. John Bottomly, Mrs. J.S. Woodward, Mrs. George Black and Miss Harriet King.

The first fall meetings were held at 515 Cooper Street. A Travel Class was formed. A motion was carried that a committee be appointed one member of whom each two months visit the prison with the President.

December 10th a new club room at 311 North 5th Street, was selected at a rental of $5.00 per month.

On February 1902, Miss McKeen’s name as South Jersey candidate for State Federation President was endorsed.

At the May election Mrs. E.L.B. Godfrey was made First Vice President and Mrs. J.S. Hackett Second Vice President; Mrs. C.A. Adams, Treasurer, and the other officers the same as last year.

At a special meeting held in June 1902, it was decided to hold the Club meetings on Mondays instead of Tuesdays as heretofore.

Word was brought that our candidate for the Presidency of the N.J.S.F.W.C., our own first President, had won the Presidency of the state Federation.

On October 7th the Executive Board decided to entertain by a reception the Delegates to the Congress of Mothers to be held in the spring of 1903 in Camden.

In December 1902, meetings were held at Mason’s Hall, A Domestic Science section was formed. Little except regular Literary and Federation work was done this year.

In May 1903 at the election, no President was provided but the Secretary and several Directors were re-elected and Miss Emma Watson made a Director.

At the Fall meeting in October 1903 Mrs. C.K. Binder was nominated and unanimously elected President. 

At the December 14th meeting Section 1,Article 2 of the Constitution was amended by striking out the clause “No member shall be eligible for the office of President unless she has served at least one term on the Executive Board”.

At the Christmas entertainment of this year among the entertainment was a Spelling Bee, conducted by Miss Fearon, afterward a tea was served and a box of popcorn to each member distributed.

December 1903, the Program Committee was allowed $30 for expenses other than Teas.

A Cooking Class and an Embroidery Class were both suggested as sections.

At the May 1904 election, the Vice-Presidents were reelected and Mrs. Meteer made Treasurer. This October the meeting opened at 317 N. 5th Street, but in March 1905 they were moved to Mason’s hall, and in May the officers elected were Mrs. C.K. Binder, President; Mrs. Godfrey, First Vice President; Mrs. Farnham, Second Vice President; Mrs. Hackett, Secretary; Mrs. Meteer, Treasurer; and Directors Miss Watson, Mrs. Boyer, Miss Edgar, Miss Reeve. In October 1905 the meetings again were at 317 N. 5th Street.

In December a committee was appointed on Civic matters, specifically to see that objectionable posters be removed.

In February 1907, a resolution was sent to the Honorable John Keen protesting against the employment against the employment of children in factories and mines.

            In May 1907 Mrs. E. Stockton Woodward was chosen President; Mrs. W.A. Davis, First Vice President; Mrs. Marvin Street, Second Vice President; Mrs. Mahlon Ivins, Treasurer; Mrs. J.S. Hackett, Secretary, and the Directors were Mrs. B.C. Reeve, Miss Edgar, Mrs. B.F. Boyer, and Mrs. Farnham.

            In the Fall of the year we began to hold our meetings in a room in the Cooper Park Public Library Building at Second and Cooper Streets. As this Club had been so largely instrumental in establishing and supporting this Library in its infancy, we appreciated greatly the courtesy accorded us in the free use of this room.

            This winter German language and Civic Sections were formed. One program of the session was “Interesting Facts about Famous Women”.

            On November 18, 1907 it was voted the Club should become a member of the General federation of Women’s Clubs. The Civic Section was allowed $15 to $20 for their work. The German section paid for their own books and there were no other expenses as Mrs. Binder most kindly undertook to lead the class.

            A Japanese Day on January 27, 1908 was unusual. It was in charge of Mrs. John A. Mather Jr. A speaker who had been in Japan told of its wonders, selections of Japanese music were rendered and exhibitions of exquisitely embroidered kimonos were made, also was shown the visiting card of the first Japanese ambassador to the United States.

            In February a committee was appointed to confer with Camden physicians to form a Society for the Prevention and Spread of Tuberculosis.

           Many interesting programs were given during the winter.

            At the January 11th session of the winter of 1908 and 1909 the club arranged for a lecture by Mr. Mills on Forestry, to be given February 1st. An invitation from the Nassau Chapter, D.A.R., to attend a Costume Reception and Loan Exhibit on Wednesday January 20th was received and accepted.

            On March 22nd the German Language Class or Section gave a demonstration of their work. Papers were read by Mrs. Binder, Mrs. Farnham, and Mrs. Hackett; music by Miss McCreight, and the whole class joined in singing “Wacht am Rhine”. A Dialogue in German was another feature.

            The Luncheon this year was held at the Country Club in May in charge of Mrs. Craig. Yellow daffodils decorated the tables and little crepe paper hats were favors given to the members.

            At the election in May, Mrs. E.S. Woodward was re-elected President; Mrs., Davis, First Vice President; Mrs. Marvin Street, Second Vice President; Mrs. John A. Mather Jr., Secretary; Mrs. Mahlon F. Ivins, Treasurer, and the Directors were Mrs. C. Chester Craig, Mrs. J.S. Hackett, Mrs. Lillie Mulford, and. Mrs. Lulu S. Read.

            A lecture by Miss Alice Jaynes of the State Consumer’s League, who spoke on “Promotion of Health and Morals in the State”, was an early Fall program, and the celebration of the fifteenth anniversary of the organization of the Club on November 16th, 1909, was another feature of this winter’s work. Miss Mary McKeen, Club’s First President, spoke of the valuable Civic and Educational improvements fostered by the Club especially the Free Public Library and the Free Kindergarten as a part of the State School system.

            In March a resolution was forwarded to the Mayor asking Councils to pass an Ordnance “Prohibiting the sale of toy pistols and fireworks containing dynamite, also restricting the observances to one day, July 4th. (Note- Such an Ordnance was passed).

            The regular Outing this year was a Shad Luncheon on April 23rd at Chews Landing.

            At the May election Mrs. Farnham was made First Vice-President; Miss Ellen Fearon, Second Vice-President; Mrs. Ivins, Treasurer; Mrs. Craig and Mrs. Mulford re-elected Directors.

            At the first meeting after the holidays, January 9th, 1911, a resolution was forwarded approving the Kalmia Latifolia, or Mountain Laurel, as a National Flower. On the 23rd Mr. John Harned gave a talk on the laws of New Jersey, especially affecting women.

            February 6th. Plans made in concurrence with Nassau Chapter, D.A.R., to find an audience for a demonstration of Electric Economics by the Public Service Corporation.

            May election, 1911 Mrs. E.S. Woodward by unanimous vote of the whole Club, given by means of a signed petition, was asked to continue as President, in spite of the Constitutional limitation for re-election.

            Fall session the Club voted $5.00 to the State Federation Endowment Fund April 29th, 1912. Annual communication regarding City House-Cleaning Day forwarded to City Authorities. No material changes in Executive Board this year.

            At an Executive Board meeting January 27th, 1913, suggestions were made for cleaner streets, one being that a notice be posted that bundles of waste papers must remain undisturbed until collected. Also question of city drainage in several places be improved and a committee to inspect and report on dangerous pavements was appointed.

            February 3rd, 1913 Club voted $5.00 to George Junior Republic.

            On March 31st was held a Musical Reciprocity Meeting with guests from sister clubs taking part with our own members. April 28th Mr. Sayers gave a talk on work accomplished at the Pickery, keeping the idle beggar occupied, for a time and giving some funds for the city, out of refuse paper and the manufacture of the street brooms and cans used in our municipality.

            At an Executive meeting November 23rd was ordered printed and distributed educational leaflets on fire escapes, ventilation and prevention of fires. It had been suggested that a little more formality might well be observed in our Club, as we had grown to such numbers so a class in Parliamentary Laws was formed under the tutelage of Miss McKeen and first meeting was held March 14th, 1914. On the 29th Mrs. Woodward reported having visited the Mayor and that he would make a proclamation that May 4th and 5th be Municipal House-Cleaning Day for Camden city, and a motion be carried that the Secretary write to Principals of all schools asking children to cooperate.

             April 13th a tree was planted in Cooper Park with suitable ceremonies. The President throwing in the first spadeful of earth with a small spade provided for the purpose and trimmed with streamers of white and lavender, the Club colors.

            The Annual Luncheon this year was at Woodbury Country Club, April 27th.

            At the election some changes were made and the following were the officers elected: Mrs. E.S. Woodward, President; Mrs. John A. Mather Jr., First Vice President; Mrs. R.G. Develin, Second Vice President; Mrs. George W. Bradley, Treasurer; Mrs. J.S. Hackett, Secretary; and the Directors, Mrs. J.F. Harned, Miss E. McCreight, Mrs. M.F. Ivins, Mrs. L.E. Farnham.

            At the Fall meeting October 19th, 1914, Mrs. John A. Mather Jr., Treasurer of the Club Building Fund, reported $961.71 in Fund.

            A proposal that the Club contribute to the Christmas Ship to be sent November 10th to Belgian sufferers from the war was approved and a committee appointed to carry out the plan.

            Fifty-five garments for the little war sufferers were made and carried to the committee in Philadelphia.

            November 10th Mirrorscope Exhibit given in aid of Building Fund in charge of Mrs. Mather.

January 25, 1915, Mrs. Betts, Chairman Legislative Committee, reported that Senator Reed had promise to support the Police Matron bill. February 8th steps taken to abate the smoke nuisance.

March 8th Mrs. Farnham reported $63.00 collected towards Rutgers College for girls. On motion increased from the Club Treasury to $70.00.

At the election of May 15th, Mrs. John A. Mather Jr. was elected President; Mrs. J.S. Hackett, First Vice President; Mrs. Charles Lafferty, Recording Secretary; Mrs. L. McCreight, Corresponding Secretary; Directors Mrs. E.S. Woodward, Miss M. Huston, Mrs. M.A. Street, Miss E.V. MacNichols, and for the unexpired term Mrs. P.L. Early.

At first meeting in Fall 1915, Mrs. Mather, new President in the chair, reported “The Strawberry Festival given in cooperation with the New Era Club, netted $96.55, which by generosity of Sheriff Haines was made an even $100.” This was forwarded to the N.J.S.F.W.C. committee in charge of plans for a girl’s college at Rutgers. The President reported that the teachers and New Era Clubs would join us in expenses of a lecture to be given by Professor H.G. Dawn, of Brooklyn, in High School Auditorium.

November 29th, 1915 twenty-first Club birthday. A Reciprocity Day with our sister Club’s Presidents as guests. Mrs. Welkel, of Merchantville, delighted us with a poem in our honor, which was recorded in our minutes.

February 14th, 1916, sent $3.00 contribution toward preserving the birthplace of Longfellow. A committee appointed to cooperate with Visiting Nurse Society in the observance of “Baby Week”.

March 28th. Arrangements made for a series of lectures on Current Events by Dr. George Earl Raiguel, who was introduced to the notice of the Club by Mrs. Bradley and Mrs. Mather.

March 13th. Resolution carried and forwarded to our Congressman asking him to assist the movement taking the administration of Indian Office out of politics and the establishment of a non-partisan commission for the administration of Indian affairs.

The following sums were collected and appropriated this season: $8.00 for work in the pines,$2.00 sent to the leper settlement in China, $10.00 voted to State Federation Endowment Fund.

Annual Outing this year went to Valley Forge.

October 19196 voted to cooperate with the New Era Club and Association for the blind in a publicity campaign to further the interests of the blind people.

A resolution submitted to us by the City Plan Commission was signed and forwarded, urging the city to act favorably in the matter of establishing Public Comfort Stations at several points in the city.

November 14th, 1916, talk by Matron of City Jail on needs of inmates, other than those supplied by the public. Club members responded to her appeal by sending certain things most required for the cleanliness and decency of these unfortunates. December 11th Club responded to appeal for colored flood sufferers in Alabama by contribution of $5.00

January 8th, 1917, our Club replied in the affirmative regarding the furnishing of a tree to be planted on the Lincoln Highway and voted $3.00 for expense of same and decided to name the tree after William Cooper, one of Camden’s earliest settlers. Our tree was planted in front of McKinley Memorial Hospital in Trenton.

Outing this year, luncheon at Evergreen Hall, Woodbury NJ.

In March the President was asked to become a Director in the Camden County Chapter, American Reed Cross, and the Club formed a Red X unit- voting $10.00 for furthering the work.

May election the following officers were elected: Mrs. Mather, President; Mrs. Hackett, First Vice President; Mrs. Lafferty, Recording Secretary; Miss McCreight, Corresponding Secretary. Directors, Miss Huston, Miss MacNichols, Mrs. E.S. Woodward and Mrs. A.H. Lippincott.

This Spring the Club forwarded a petition to Congress asking for a five-mile zone, free from sale of alcoholic liquors, be established around every Army Training Camp and Naval Station.  

The Club decided to forward Fifty Dollars ($50.00) to the State Federation Endowment Fund, thus placing the name of Miss Mary McKeen, the founder and First President of our Club, and first South Jersey President of the State Federation, on the Founder’s Roll of Honor.

October 5th the Red Cross unit reported an Emergency Kit made, sterilized, ready for instant use. Mrs. Mather, President of the Club, also Director of the Bureau of Production in the County Red Cross, had this kit placed at Police Headquarters. The money collected for work by the Unit was $72.50 and a balance left of $26.50

November 17th. Club subscribed Fifty Dollars ($50.00) to the Hostess House at Camp Dix, under N.J.S.F.W.C. management, and six of our members gave time and paid their own expenses to aid in serving our men in this house.

Club sent again its yearly contribution to the work in the Pines of Five Dollars ($5.00), also Five Dollars toward the purchase of an automobile for our worker among the unfortunates.

March 4, 1918. Mr. John Gregg Paine addressed the Club on War Savings Stamps, the Club voted to buy five of these certificates out of Club Treasury and members bought to the amount of One Hundred and Eight Five Dollars Eight Five cents ($185.85).

Two hundred thirty-five books were donated , stamped with the Club name, and forwarded to the Soldier’s Library at Camp Dix.

Funds collected by the Red Cross Unit amounting to Forty-three Dollars ($43.00) and Seven Dollars ($7.00) added to it from Club Treasury and it was forwarded to the Haversack at Camp Dix.

The final report of the unit showed they had begun sewing October 25, 1917 and continued one day a week for fifty-three weeks, and had completed five hundred and thirty-nine (539) hospital supplies and one hundred twenty-three (123) woolen articles. Working Unit members were:

Mrs. George A. Wille, Chm.         Mrs. George Jessup         Miss E. McCreight
            Mrs. J.S. Hackett                             Mrs. H. Campbell            Mrs. L. Farnham
            Mrs. George Bradley                      Mrs. J.C. Betts                  Mrs. John A. Mather Jr.
            Mrs. Austin Clarke

Music Section reported one hundred twenty-eight (128) Victrola Records sent to our soldier boys.

January 1919 the Club voted to raise the Initiation Fee to $5.00. One reason for this was the fact that new members coming in became sharers with the already established members in the Club holdings and it seemed a fair measure.

At this meeting the pet hobby of the President was acted upon, that of having a junior section, at her suggestion it was voted that for especial time, all the young girls who had so cheerfully and interestingly entertained us, should be admitted to membership without the necessity of the usual formal proposing and endorsement and that their dues for this year should be one-half the usual sum. Twelve of the dear girls responded.

Our Club endorsed a movement of the Hatch Post. G.A.R., protesting against the removal of Civil War flags from the rotunda of the capital.

March 31st, 1919 petition forwarded to the committee in charge of soldier’s Memorial asking that it take the form of a Community House.

April 10th. Donation of Ten Dollars ($10.00) to State Federation Endowment Fund.

The general work of the Club has been Literary and Civic, we have had numerous reviews of contemporary literature, have had many active and successful committees on civic improvements. Patriotic entertainments, with guests who might be helpfully impressed, have been a feature of nearly every session’s program, also educational and dramatic features have formed part of the work since the Club’s inception.

Whenever members traveled, at home or abroad, they were called upon for an account of their trips, thus lending the valuable personal touch which is of so much interest. These personal recollections have included England, Norway, Sweden, Germany, France, Belgium, Holland, Italy, Japan, Bermuda, Canada, Jerusalem, our own different States and other places.

An annual tree planting has become in later years a part of the regular program.

When the war overtook us, our printed programs were omitted as a thrift measure and Liberty Bonds, to the amount of $500.00, were bought by the Club.

At the close of this administration there were assets in the Building Fund to the amount of $1490.66, with $170.26 added during the summer, making a total of $1660.92 at the time of publication of this little history.

This fund was started in 1912 at the instance of Mrs. Mather, who had the owning of our own headquarters much to heart and had hoped to have it reach fruition in her administration, but during the war, of course, little could be done to increase the amount, and Mrs. Mather, herself the Club’s War president, was fully occupied as Director of the Production Department in the County Red Cross, where many of the Club members were also willing volunteers. Whole-souled service these women gave day and night, but will now soon return to try to make their Club the best one ever.

May election the following officers were elected: Mrs. George Bradley, President; Mrs. Holmes Gravatt, First Vice President; Mrs. Lulu S. Read, Second Vice President; Mrs. J.S. Hackett, Corresponding Secretary; Mrs. Austin Clark, Treasurer, and Directors Mrs. H. Marter, Mrs. John F. Harned, Mrs. John A. Mather Jr., Mrs. A. Haines Lippincott, Mrs. Joshua C. Haines, and Mrs. Wilbert L. Sweeten.  

Annual Outing was a trip to the Navy Yard, Philadelphia, with a lunch at the Hotel Walton.


Mrs. H.M. Anderson

Mrs. F.W. Fox

Mrs. E.H. Patton

Mrs. H. Archer

Mrs. W.W. Fry

Mrs. T. Patterson

Mrs. C.G. Austin

Mrs. M.A. Gilbert

Mrs. G. Pine

Mrs. I. Bagley

Mrs. R. Garrett

Mrs. F. Powell

Mrs. G. Barrett

Mrs. M.D. Glover

Mrs. J. Pratt

Mrs. J.B Betts

Mrs. M. George

Mrs. W.T. Read Jr.

Mrs. E.G.C. Bleakly

Mrs. H.F. Gravatt

Mrs. L.S. Read

Mrs. E. Bourgeois

Mrs. Charles Greer

Mrs. B.F. Reeve

Mrs. L.M. Boiston

Mrs. C. Gring

Miss M. Riggs

Mrs. B. F. Boyer

Mrs. J.S. Hackett

Mrs. W.C. Riggs

Mrs. G. Bradley

Mrs. J.C. Haines

Miss M. Robbins

Miss H. Branson

Mrs. Thomas Hall

Mrs. C. Rudderow

Mrs. C. Buckwalter

Mrs. John F. Harned

Mrs. H.N. Scheirer

Mrs. J. Bulifant

Miss Alice Hearst

Mrs. W.S. Schermerhorn

Mrs. W.R.M. Burrell

Miss Anistine Hearst

Mrs. E.L. Seabrook

Miss M.A. Burroughs

Miss M. Hollingshead

Miss C.G. Schrader

Mrs. T. Borton

Miss H. Hood

Mrs. F. Shellenberger

Mrs. H.W. Campbell

Mrs. J. Hood Jr.

Miss Mae L. Shivers

Miss D. Cannon

Mrs. H. Humphreys Jr.

Miss A. Sharp

Mrs. R.G. Carll

Mrs. L. Humphreys

Mrs. G.W. Shimp

Mrs. G.D. Cogswell

Miss M. Huston

Mrs. A Shinn

Mrs. O. Clair

Mrs. M.F. Ivins

Mrs. J.W. Sickles

Mrs. A.M. Clark

Mrs. E.L. Jackson

Mrs. W. Stein

Mrs. W.H. Coffin

Mrs. George Jessup

Miss M. Street

Mrs. A. Corson

Miss E. Keene

Mrs. W.L. Sweeten

Mrs. C. Chester Craig

Mrs. Henry Kobus

Mrs. G. Taylor

Mrs. E. Davis

Mrs. C. Kates

Mrs. J.E. Taylor

Mrs. Irvin Deakyne

Mrs. C. Lafferty

Mrs. Earl Thomson

Mrs. R.G. Develin

Miss M. Lukens

Mrs. W.C. Tomlin 

Mrs. R. Dickinson

Mrs. A. Haines Lippincott

Mrs. G. Tyler

Mrs. Harry Dole

Mrs. H.G. Longwell

Mrs. L.S. Ware

Mrs. Clarence B. Donges

Mrs. M. McMullen

Mrs. A.M. Ward

Mrs. John W. Donges

Mrs. J.L. Mehaffy

Mrs. S. Webster

Mrs. E.G. Doolittle

Mrs. F. Manning

Mrs. F. Wells

Mrs. E. Duer

Mrs. H.H. Marter

Miss A. Wille

Mrs. P. Lyle Earley

Mrs. J.B. Marter

Mrs. G.A. Wille

Miss. M.H. Edgar

Mrs. John A. Mather Jr.

Mrs. B. Wilson

Mrs. J Elfering

Mrs. Alexander McAllister

Mrs. F.C. Winters

Mrs. Levi E. Farnham

Mrs. L. McCreight

Mrs. W. Wood

Miss A. Farrell

Mrs. R. Mevis

Mrs. E. Woodruff

Miss Ellen Fearon

Mrs. L.V. Mulford

Miss E. Woodruff

Mrs. P.G. Fithian

Mrs. A.W. Nash

Mrs. E.S. Woodward

Mrs. J.W. Fithian

Mrs. S.C. Ott

Mrs. G.D. Woodward

Miss M. Fleming

Mrs. O.O. Patchet

Mrs. G.H. Whyte

Mrs. R. Fleming



Philadelphia Inquirer
April 28, 1915

Camden High School
Wright Avenue
Haddon Avenue

Camden Board of Trade
Camden Civic Club

Camden Business Men's Improvement Association

Camden Rotary Club
Whitman Park Association
Stockton Wheelmen
Camden Women's Club
New Era Club

Click on Image for PDF File
of Complete Article

Helen Mather
(Mrs. John A. Mather)

Camden Courier-Post
January 10, 1928

Camden Courier-Post - January 10, 1928 


Mrs. Mather, prominent club woman, is regent of the Nassau Chapter, Daughter of the American Revolution, and takes an active part in the Camden Woman’s Club. Mrs. Mather makes her home in Merchantville.

The cooperative government system and the religious life of the New Jersey State Reformatory for Women form the backbone of the institution, according to Miss Cordelia Lounsberry, who spoke before the Camden Woman’s Club, at a meeting in the clubhouse, 636 Linden Street, yesterday afternoon.

Miss Lounsberry is the superintendent of the institution situated at Clinton.

Ranging in age from 16 to 60, women from all parts of the state are committed to the reformatory for any charge from misdemeanor to first-degree murder, Miss Lounsberry explained.

“We regard the work in the institution educational from a physical as well as a mental standpoint,” the superintendent continued. “Through our cooperative system we teach the women ideals of honor and fairness and the system has proved more effective than any I have ever seen exercised in schools and colleges.”

“Religious services conducted in the chapel of the church each Sunday have a great influence on the majority of the women,” Miss Lounsberry stated.

The superintendent also declared important as part of the institutions work the domestic service course where the women are taught cooking, sewing, cleaning, as well as outdoor work.

Sixty percent of the women committed to the institution are feeble-minded and rightly belong in other institutions which are too crowded to care for them,” Miss Lounsberry stated.

Mrs. A. Hanes Lippincott, president, was in the chair for the business session, when first reading of the revision of by-laws in the club constitution was heard.

The Art Department, under the chairmanship of Hugh M. Condie, is arranging the next regular meeting of the club scheduled for Monday, January 23.

Mrs. Thomas Flockhart, chairmen of Art of the New Jersey Federation of Woman’s Clubs, will be the principal speaker and works of several prominent artists will be on exhibit.

Camden Courier-Post - February 21, 1928 


Camden Courier-Post - December 2, 1930

Mrs. A. Haines Lippincott - Camden Women's Club - Linden Street - Camden Y.W.C.A.

Camden Courier-Post
February 4, 1931 

Camden Courier-Post - June 10, 1932

Young Club Women Here And in Suburbs to Meet

The Arts Department of the Camden Woman’s Club and the Junior Section of the Merchantville Women’s Club have planned June parties for tonight to close their activities for the current year.

The affair in this city will be held at the clubhouse. 424 Linden street. A short business meeting will be conducted, after which a party will be held with the following in charge: Miss Lola Williams, Mrs. Earl Young, Mrs. William Lewis and Mrs. George A. Kite.

Mrs. Roland Childrey, the president, will preside.

The party in Merchantvllle will be held at the clubhouse in that town, 9 West Cedar avenue. Hostesses will be Mrs Alfred Collins and Mrs. Charles Witwer.

Miss Gertrude Simpson, the president, will preside for a short business meeting. 

Camden Courier-Post - June 14, 1933 

Arts Department to Close year With Children's Party

The Arts Department of the Camden Woman's Club has planned a children's party for tomorrow evening in the clubhouse, 424 Linden Street, as the closing feature of the year's program. 

Prizes will be awarded for the best costumes. Children's games will be played and there will be an exchange of "white elephant" gifts. 

Mrs. J. Rodney Forrest of Merchantville is chairman of the following committee in charge of the affair; Mrs. Fred B. Hutchinson; Merchantville; Miss Anne Roberts, Miss Florence Trommer, Camden; Mrs. Frank Dumbleton and Mrs. Albert Ware Haddonfield. 

At the business meeting to precede the party, Mrs. Roland L. Childrey, retiring president, will install the following new officers: Miss Alice Benkert, Philadelphia, president; Mrs. William P. Partenheimer, Jr., Haddonfield. recording secretary; Mrs. Carl Frey, West Collingswood, and Mrs. Albert M. Bean, Audubon, directors. 

Camden Courier-Post - June 19, 1933 

Camden Club Compiles "Historic Album"

An "Historic Album" in which will be placed the photographs of all members since its foundmg in 1893 wlll be added to the library of the Camden Woman's Club next Fall. 

The book is being compiled under the direction of Mrs. George W. Tash, who through the courtesy of Harry Taylor of this city, and Mrs. William Stroud of Moorestown, has obtained a picture of Miss Mary McKeen, founder and first 
president of the club, now deceased.

Arrangements to photograph present members of the club have been made by Mrs. Tash. Reservations for appointments win be received until Wednesday. . 

Camden Courier-Post * June 23, 1933

Camden High Presents Diplomas to Class Of 261 
Many Prizes Awarded; Judge Wells Makes Address

Win Prizes

The need of more religious education was stressed by Judge Harold B. Wells, of Bordentown, in addressing 264 graduates of Camden High School and more than 1500 relatives and friends who attended commencement exercises yesterday. 

Awards of the main scholarships and prizes were announced as follows: 

Alumni Scholarships- Tuition in University of Pennsylvania, awarded to C. Albertus Hewitt, president of Senior class; $300 toward tuition in any college chosen, awarded to Esther Hill, first honor student. 

W. F. Rose Public Speaking Contest prizes of $15 each- Awarded to Cecelia Cummings and Jack Sosenko, both of January Class. 

ESTHER HILL                             CECELIA CUMMINGS
who were granted awards at graduation ceremonies
at Camden High School yesterday

"We need more religion and more devotion," Judge Wells said, "not more money or more education. Don't boast that you don't believe in God. The whole world and all the progress it ,has made is based on a belief in God. 

"Don't sneer at religion until you know something about it-and then you won't sneer. Live for today. Don't worry about yesterday and don't think of tomorrow. Don't be a grouch- the divorce courts today are filled with grouches." 

Thomas W. Trembath, vice principal of the high school, brought a momentary hush on the large audience when he announced that Miss Clara S. Burrough, high school principal who is retiring, was not well enough to attend this, her last commencement. 

Trembath announced at the same time that students were planning to present Miss Burrough with a chair and other gifts. The movement, he said, began among students a week ago and had swept through the school surprisingly swift. 

All members of the board of education were present. In the absence of Miss Burrough, Samuel E. Fulton, president of the board, presented diplomas. Trembath presented members of the class for graduation honors. 

The invocation opening the exercises was offered by the Rev. W.W. Ridgeway, rector of St. Wilfred's Episcopal Church, Camden. 

Among the officials present were Albert M. Bean, county superintendent of schools; Dr. Leon N. Neulen, city superintendent; Charles S. Albertson, former county superintendent; Dr. William H. Pratt, chief medical inspector; Albert Austermuhl, secretary of the education board, and Lewis Liberman, assistant city solicitor. 

The valedictory and salutatory addresses were dispensed with at the high school last year and supplanted with faculty choices of speakers to represent the boys and girls of the class. 
Robert Knox Bishop, chosen to represent the boys, delivered an essay entitled "Capital Punishment and Modern Civilization." Representing the girls, Clara E. Marie Krause de livered an essay on "Music and Moods." Other honor students are Esther E. Hill, Caroline Emhof and Evelyn Harriet Ratcliffe. 

The musical part of the program follows; . "Die Schone Galathea," by Von Suppe; Farandole from "L' Arlesienne," by Bizet; Washington Post March by Sousa; Triumphal selections from "Blossomtime," by Romberg- all by the High School orchestra. There will be one chorus, "Blue Danube Waltz," by Strauss. 

As a special tribute to her work for Camden High, Miss Lucy Dean Wilson, in charge of public speaking and dramatics, and formerly musical director, was invited by Fulton to conduct the chorus in its final number. Miss Wilson took the baton from Robert B. Haley, musical director, and directed the singers. Miss Wilson is retiring this year. 

The commencement was the thirty­fourth and last annual commencement at the High School. In September it will become the Camden Academic High School under a reorganization plan that will make Woodrow Wilson Junior High School the Camden Commercial High School. 

Prizes were awarded as follows: 

Philomathean Society Prize, $10, Ruth Brennan, student in fourth year class doing. most meritorious work in English composition. 

Class of 1916 Prize in Drawing, $5, Ida Marland, 

Solomon J. and Rosa Goldstein Prizes, $5 each, given by Dr. Hyman I. Goldstein, to Howard Ruffie and Clara Krause, students attaining highest standing in science covering not less than two years of work. 

B'nai Brith Prizes, one of $15, to Elmer Pont, and $10, to Clara Krause, for high standing in mathematics. 

Class of 1923 prizes, two of $10 each, to Richard Call and Esther Hill; students showing greatest ability in athletics. 

Class of 1924 prizes, four of $5 each, to Rose DiMuro, Esther Hill, George M. Minter and Samuel Blood, good, students of January and June class with highest standing in commercial subjects.

Woman's Club prize in American History, $10, to Charles Bray, highest standing In American History. 

Department of Literature of Camden Woman's Club prizes of $10, to Alfred Pikus and Constance Di Giuseppe, for standing in English in junior year. 

Woman's Club prize in domestic science, $10, to Evelyn Cowgill, to sophomore with highest-standing in domestic science.

Mary McClelland Brown prize, $10, established by classes of 1931, to Cecelia Cummings, highest average in French through three year course. 

The Phi Beta Kappa Association of Philadelphia award, a book, "The Epic of America," autographed by the author, James Truslow Adams, to Clara Krause, highest average in academic course on completing four years of Latin. 

Beethoven Club, prize for Musical Activity (new) awarded to Leonard Zondler. 

Camden Courier-Post
February 20, 1936 

Camden Courier-Post - February 20, 1936 

Literature Group Plan Luncheon Meet

The literature department of the Camden Woman's Club has planned a covered dish luncheon to be held in the club house, 424-26 Linden Street, tomorrow, and to be followed by a program.

Mrs. Howard G. Stimus, chair man of the department, has planned 'the afternoon’s entertainment and has announced that all members of the club and their friends are invited to attend.

Camden Courier-Post
February 9, 1938 

Camden Courier-Post - February 16, 1938
Arts Group Planning 19th Anniversary Banquet

Members of the arts department of the Camden Woman's Club tomorrow night will observe their nineteenth anniversary at a banquet to be held in the club house, 424-26 Linden street.

A surprise program is being arranged for the occasion under the direction of Mrs. Oswald R. Carlander. Mrs. Carlander will be toastmaster and is being assisted by a committee comprising Mrs. Carlton W. Rowand, Miss Alice Hirst, Mrs. Alexander Oaks, Miss Mary Garrison, Mrs. James Greer, Miss Mildred Buzby, Mrs. Frank Dumbleton and Miss Margaret Cathell.

Camden Courier-Post - February 16, 1938
'Historical Romances' Topic for Camden Group

Members of the Literature Department of the Camden Woman's Club will 
meet tomorrow at 11 o'clock in their club house, 424-26 Linden street, for a 
program on "Historical Romances."

Mrs. H. L. Westcott is in charge of the program and Mrs. Theodore K. Warner 
will read the opening poem.

Luncheon will be served at 1 o'clock by the following hostesses: Mrs. Arthur J. Casselman, Mrs. Elmer J. Carll, Mrs. Harry G. Longwell and Mrs. Thomas 

Camden Courier-Post - February 28, 1938
Diabetes and Mental Hygiene Subjects for Public Relations Meeting

Diabetes and mental hygiene in their relation to public health will be discussed authoritatively at the annual public relations meeting and tea of the Auxiliary to the Camden County Medical Society to be held tomorrow afternoon in the Camden Woman's Club, 424-26 Linden street.

A discourse on diabetes will be presented by Dr. Alexander Ellis, of this city, who is a member of the Cooper Hospital staff, in charge of the out-patients diabetic clinic.
"The Basic Principles of Mental Hygiene" is the topic which has been announced for a second speaker, Dr. Camilla M. Anderson, secretary of the Mental Hygiene Committee of the Pennsylvania Public Charities Association.

Dr. Anderson covers the entire state of Pennsylvania. She is the psychiatrist in charge of the women's division in the Pittsburgh City Hospital and the Allegheny County Hospital. She is assistant professor of nursing at Duquesne University and a special lecturer on mental hygiene in the department of nursing education at the University of Pennsylvania. "Emotional Hygiene, the Art of Understanding" is the title of a book which was written by Dr. Anderson during the past year and which recently has been published.

Mrs. Orris W. Saunders, of this city, is hospitality chairman for the day. Mrs. Arthur J. Casselman, of this city, and Mrs. E. Reed Hirst, of Haddonfleld, will pour and those assisting will be Mrs. William Braun, Mrs. Penrose Thompson, Mrs. A. Lincoln Sherk, of Merchantville; Mrs. Kenneth B. MacAlpine, of Gloucester; Mrs. Kenneth Athey and Mrs. Alfred M. Elwell, of this city.

The Auxiliary has planned a fashion show to be followed by cards for Monday evening, March 7, in the Hotel Walt Whitman. Mrs. H. Wesley Jack, of Haddonfield, is general chairman for the affair.

Mrs. Oswald R. Carlander, of Merchantville, is president of the Auxiliary.

The South Jersey News - June 20, 1940

Students of the Berul School of Music, Camden, as part of the fifteenth annual commencement exercises, gave a recital last night in the Camden Women's Club, and will repeat the program tonight. Students participating include:

 'I'homas Bantivog1io, Stanford Benjamin, Martha Berg, Eleanor Bernson, Max Bukstel, Myron Cooper, Elizabeth Caputo, Gloria Caputo, Samuel Caputo, Vera Duf­fine, Elaine Duffine, Charles De Lisle, Ruth Dressner, Leonard Denbo, Rita Detbo, Devorah Drell, Everett Ellis, Norman Eisenberg, Frances Epstein, Ross Forman, Ivan Forman, Ward Forman, Myra Friedenberg, Evelyn Fourer, Gloria Goldfield, Harold Goodman, Bruce Goodman, Rhoda Goldfield,.Joan Goldstein, Sandra Goldfield, Warren Jones, Frances Kauffman, Sylvia Kahlowsky, Jean Katz, Edwin Kantor, Phyllis Katz, Gerald Leider, Richard Littleton, Florence Malinowska, Judy Mendell, Christine Matsius, Elane Mitchell, Margaret Onesti, Ena Ravitz, Rhoda Schreibstein, Shirley Goldberg, Fred Rothchild, Leonard Rosenfield, Serita Ruttenberg, William Schwartz, Joan Schiff, Charlotte Skorko, Norman Schreiber, Naomi Stoglin, Bernard Shapiro, Stanton Segal, Doris Stepler, Dorothea Stafre, Daniel Tapper, Ester Dina Tapper, Jean Thompson, Eleanor Turchanyi, Margaret Turchanyi, Tottie Taylor, Dolores Weiss, Arnold Weiss. Norman Wallack, Milton Wolf, Harriet Wadler, Shirley Berul, Wallace Berul, Mildred Forman.