The following is derived from
George Reeser Prowell's
History of Camden County, New Jersey
published in 1886

THE SECOND BAPTIST CHURCH was constituted in 1848 with forty-six constituent members, mostly from the First Baptist Church, Camden. Thomas Shields and Joseph Matlack were the first deacons. The church built a two-story brick meeting-house on the southeast corner of Fourth and Division Streets, which they sold, in 1867, to the Roman Catholic Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, and erected a meeting-house on the southwest corner of Fourth and Mount Vernon, of brick, two stories high and costing, with ground, eighteen thousand dollars. This they still occupy. When the location was changed, in 1867, a large number of the members, including the pastor, Mark R. Watkinson, withdrew and formed the Broadway Baptist Church. The membership now numbers one hundred and thirty.   These have been pastors,  Matthew M. Semple, M.D., Thomas C. Trotter, Alexander Clark, Thomas Goodwill, Francis Cailhopper, John C. Hyde, Mark R. Watkinson, Charles W. Deitz, Samuel Hughes, William W, Dalbey, Matthew M. Finch, Frank B. Rose (supply), William Lawrence, John D. Flansburg. 


The church operated as the Second Baptist Church as late as 1888, according to City Directories. That year's Directory shows the congregation being led by Rev. John D. Flansburg. The 1890 Directory shows the name had been changed to Mt. Vernon Baptist Church, and that Rev. Flansburg still led the church. The 1894 Directory shows that the church had once again been reorganized, and was then known as Emmanuel Baptist Church, with Rev. J.N. Folwell now at its helm.