CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
640 Pine Street
Corner of Pine Street and Newton Avenue
640 Pine Street was the home from as early as 1918 through at least 1938 of McKenna'a Tavern. McKenna's Tavern was owned by John McKenna, who had come to America from Northern Ireland in 1900. John McKenna had lived in Delaware prior to 1914. He then came to Camden and was in the tavern business by 1918. When Prohiubition came he remained in business inder a soft drink license.
At the time of the 1930 Census John McKenna, the 54, lived with his second wife, Mary McKenna, who also had come from Ireland, and his four children from his first marriage, John L., 20, Thomas, 18, James, 16, and Sarah, 8. John McKenna died after a long illness on July 2, 1931.
Mary McKenna kept the business going, and when Prohibition was repealed in 1933, obtained a liquor license. She kept the bar in operation until 1938. She was still living at 640 Pine Street when the Census was taken in 1940, as were children Thomas and Sarah Mckenna. By 1943 they had left, and a grocery run by David Makarow occupied the building.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE