WALLACE McGEORGE DuBOIS was born on November 25, 1881 to Dr. William G. Dubois and Elizabeth Leedom Dubois, of Monmouth Street in Gloucester City NJ. The DuBois family moved to Camden when he was 5 years old, residing at 521 Broadway.
As a teenager, he was a star football player for the Catholic Lyceum team, which played at the old Camden Baseball Park at 12th and Federal Streets. In his time Wallace DuBois, known as "Buck" was generally acknowledged as the greatest rusher and scoring threat in the area. He also played on the Woodlynne Country Club team.
After graduating from Renouard College in New York City in 1901 he went into the funeral business, working for an undertaker in Philadelphia. In 1903 he went into business for himself in Camden, first on Cooper Street, by 1906 at 320 Market Street, and by 1910 through at least January of 1920 at 508 Broadway. By 1925 he had acquired the building at 418 Chambers Avenue, where he lived with wife Ada and son William and conducted his business. William DuBois went into business with his father in 1947 and the name of the firm was changed to Wallace M. DuBois and Son.
Wallace M. DuBois was a founding member of Ionic Lodge No. 94, F. & A.M., and was active with the Shriners, the Improved Order of Red Men, and the Junior Order of United American Mechanics.
Wallace M. DuBois passed away on December 18, 1951. He was buried in Cedar Green Cemetery in Clayton NJ. The DuBois funeral home remained in Camden through at least 1959, when operations were located there and in Audubon NJ. The firm had left Camden by 1970. His grandson, Wallace P. DuBois, remains in the funeral business in 2010 in Audubon.
December 28, 1951
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE