John
Merritt
Barnett Sr.


 

JOHN MERRITT BARNETT SR. was born in April of 1866 in Pennsylvania to Joseph and Mary Barnett. His father was a ship carpenter. The family moved to New Jersey around 1870. The 1880 census shows the Barnetts at 518 North 3rd Street in North Camden. John M. Barnett was living at this address as late as 1887. He married about that time. By 1890 he and his wife Mary had moved to 512 William Street in South Camden. They were still at that address in the summer of 1900. The 1906 City Directory shows him at 507 Berkley Street. 

A tin roofer by trade, John M. Barnett served briefly with the Camden Fire Department in 1907 and with the Camden Police Department from 1908 to May 1, 1910.

The 1910 Census shows John M. Barnett Sr., his wife Mary, and four of their children living at 616 South 5th Street. He was the working as a policeman, but soon returned to work as a roofer. The 1914 City Directory shows him at the same address. By 1920 he had moved to 521 South 5th Street. He was then in business with his son Joseph in a tin roofing business, and was still their as late as 1924. By 1929 he had left Camden.

By April of 1930 John M. Barnett Sr. had moved out of Camden and was living in Mantua, New Jersey. Fire Department records indicate that by 1931 he had moved 168 East Avenue in Pitman, New Jersey and was collecting a pension, possibly due to injuries received while with the Fire Department. He died on June 22, 1945.



RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE