B. HART was appointed to the Camden Fire Department to replace Cornelius
M. Brown as an extra man with Engine
Company 1, who
resigned April 18, 1871. He had previously worked as a
brickmaker, and was making his home at 409 Walnut
Street when appointed to the Fire Department.
B. Hart was born in Delaware to David and Mary Hart. His father
was a brickmaker, and both George and younger brother Charles
H. Hart would eventually learn that trade. The family had
moved to Camden's South Ward by the spring of 1850, and remained
there for many years thereafter.
the 1870 census was taken in July of 1870, George B. Hart, his
brother Charles and
his wife Anna, and two month-old son Harry M. were living with
the Hart brother's widowed mother Mary A. Hart. Also at home
were sisters Elizabeth, Ida, and Maggie Hart.
B. Hart served along side his brother Charles
H. Hart with Engine
Company 1 until his
removal from service on June 7, 1872.