BENJAMIN LYTLE was appointed to the Camden Fire Department at some point not long after November 12, 1874. He was reappointed on May 4, 1875. Benjamin Little was not reappointed in April of 1875. His name was entered into Camden Fire Department records as Benjamin Little.

The Camden Fire Department records used regarding personnel from the years 1869 through 1890 consists of a hand-written journal where each year's employees are listed, along with in most cases their address, occupations, dates in and in some cases dates out of the department. In the case of Benjamin Little, no address and no occupation is given. The mystery deepens when one is confronted with the fact that no one named Benjamin Little ever appeared in the Camden City Directories, which have been checked in the years 1878 through 1899, and no one named Benjamin Little appears in any Census of Camden. In fact, no one named Little appear in the 1870 or 1880 Censuses in Camden who would have been close to the right age to have served as a fireman. The Benjamin Little who briefly served with the Camden Fire Department appears to have been Benjamin Lytle, a veteran of the Civil War. 

Benjamin Lytle was born in March of 1846 to Samuel and Mary Lytle. Most records indicate that he was born in New Jersey, however, a possibility exists that he may have been born in Canada. Samuel Lytle worked as a carpenter. The family appears in Camden's Middle Ward in the 1850 Census and in the 1870 Census. 

Benjamin Lytle served briefly in the Union Army during the Civil War. He enlisted in Company B, 192nd Pennsylvania Infantry on July 12, 1864, for a term of 100 days. .
Mustered out on 11 Nov 1864 at Philadelphia, PA. The 192nd Pennsylvania Infantry regiment was recruited from the 20th Pennsylvania Militia, which had been called into the service of the state, under command of Colonel William Thomas in 1862 and again in 1863. It rendezvoused at Camp Cadwalader, Philadelphia, where fourteen companies were organized and mustered into the U. S. service on July 7, 1864, for a term of 100 days. On the July 23 it left the state for Baltimore and on August 1 was ordered to garrison Fort McHenry, where it was drilled in heavy artillery duty. About the middle of the month it moved to Johnson's Island, Lake Erie, but remained there only a few days when it was
ordered to Gallipolis on the Ohio river. Here it was employed in guarding and forwarding supplies accumulated for the Union armies. On Sept. 30 Companies M, A, B, F, D, L and G, under Major C.W. McClintock, were ordered to Weston, West Virginia where they served under General Kelley until the close of their term of enlistment. On the expiration of their term of service the two battalions proceeded to Philadelphia, where the command was mustered out on November 11, 1864. Benjamin Lytle, served as a Corporal, and was among those who mustered out in Philadelphia on November 11, 1864. 

Benjamin Lytle returned to Camden after completing his military service. When the Census was taken in 1870 he was living with his parents and sisters Anna and Mary in Camden's Middle Ward, where he worked as a produce dealer. As stated above, he served as a member of the Camden Fire Fire Department in the mid-1870s. The 1878-1879 Camden City Directory shows him living with his widowed mother at 517 Royden Street in South Camden. His mother is listed at 230 Stevens Street in the 1879-1880 edition. Benjamin Lytle and his mother were living at 503 Berkley Street in 1882 and 1883. He was then working as a carpenter. The 1887-1888 directory indicates that he had gone to live in Philadelphia. 

Crippled with rheumatism in his early 40s, Benjamin Lytle was admitted to the Central Branch of the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, located in Jefferson Township, Ohio on June 6, 1888. Shortly afterwards he was been transferred to the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers at Elizabeth City, Virginia, where he was staying when the Veterans Census of 1890 was enumerated. On June 15, 1892 he checked himself out of the home, but was readmitted to the Central Branch of the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers in Ohio on July 12, 1895. Benjamin Lytle was still there when the census was taken in 1910.  

Benjamin Lytle died on October 26, 1917. The cause of his death was recorded as facial erysipelas, an acute streptococcus bacterial infection. Benjamin Lytle was buried at Dayton National Cemetery, located on the grounds of what is now the Veterans Administration Medical Center, 4100 West Third Street in Dayton, Ohio.