WILFRED M. KAIGHN was born in Camden NJ around 1867 to John and Hannah Kaighn. His father was a blacksmith. Besides Wilfred the family included an older brother, Charles Kaighn and a younger one named Walter. By 2880 John Kaighn had moved his family to 937 Broadway, where he would lived through at least 1910. 

By 1887 Wilfred Kaighn was working as a bookkeeper and living at 937 Broadway. He took a position in the insurance industry the following year, and by 1890 had wed and moved to 250 Mt. Vernon Street, where he resided through at least middle of 1900. His wife Mary bore  daughter, Vera, around 1891. The Kaighns moved to 549 Washington Street by 1910, and later moved to 567 Benson street.

Wilfred M. Kaighn died of a stroke on February 3, 1933.

Philadelphia Inquirer
September 30, 1905

George Aultemus
Frank Devereaux
John R. Wolf
Wilfred M. Kaighn
A.J. Vansant
Frank W. Tressey
John Vanderslice
Dr. William I. Kelchner
Robert Garrison
George H. Watt
John E. Smith
Ludwig Winters
Martin J. Ewe
William S. Wilkins
Levi Sharp
Dr. William H. Kensinger
Walter Hubbs
George Martin
Thomas S. Armstrong
Huelings Mulvey
Josiah Kirkbride
Lewis Schimer
George H. Jones
Thomas Pooley
John J. Welsh
Alfred R. Taylor
Bernard Funfer
John Carver

Penrose W. Hirst - Charles H. Mills - James S. Pratt
Thomas B. Hall - William H. Jennings - Frank H. Burdsall - Clarence B. Groff
Dr. Dowling Benjamin - Joseph Nowrey

Camden Courier-Post - January 16, 1928

Woman Storekeeper Is Knocked Down by Two Bandits Who Empty Cash Register
Thief Takes Bottle of Pre-War Stuff in Looting House Downtown


Entering a grocery store at Van Hook and Seventh Streets under the pretense of being customers, two men knocked Mrs. Mary Maska, the proprietor, to the floor this morning an robbed the cash register of $162.

Recovering from the blow, delivered by one of the pair, the woman telephoned police, who immediately set up guards at the entrance to the bridge and at the ferry terminals, apparently in the belief that the thugs were from Philadelphia.

The men were described by Mrs. Maska as colored, both small in stature. One was shabbily dressed, wearing a torn overcoat, she said. The other was neatly garbed. Both wore caps.

The robbery occurred at 9 o’clock this morning and a1thougth Mrs. Maska screamed for help after the men had fled, no help came City Detectives George Ward and Thomas Cheeseman arrived at the scene in response to her call to police headquarters.

The men entered the store; where Mrs. Maska was alone and one tendered her a quarter in supposed payment for a small quantity of bologna. This was done, detective. Believe, in order to give the men an opportunity to see the contents of the cash drawer in the cash register. In ringing up the quarter, Mrs. Maska revealed that there was a quantity of paper money in this drawer.

The second of the bandits then asked for a cigar and Mrs. Maska left the cash register for another part of the store. As she did so, one of the men struck her on the head and then looted the cash till.

Got Pre-War Liquor

Several bottles of pre-war liquor were among the loot taken by burglars who broke Into the home of William Bonstedt, 510 Clinton Street, during the absence of the family over the weekend. In addition to the liquor, the thieves got several  articles of jewelry and #20 in cash. The robbery was discovered when the family returned from the seashore last night.

Mrs. Mary Gushue, proprietor of a boarding house at 423 Walnut Street, reported $80 stolen from a bureau drawer.

Police also discovered that the home of Wilfred Kaighn, 567 Benson Street, had been entered and ransacked dur­ing the family’s absence at Pittsburgh. Until Kaighn returns, it will be impossible to determine how much loot was taken, detectives said.

James O’Donnell, 31 years old, 545 Penn Street, was arrested yesterday after he was seen breaking into a tool house at Baird and Crescent Boulevards.

When O’Donnell was arrested by George Zeitz, a patrolman, he was found to have in his possession a sweater he had taken from the shed which contained supplies from a build­ing operation nearby. A companion with O’Donnell  escaped according to Zeitz.

Camden Courier-Post - February 4, 1933

Descendant of Pioneer Camden Family Dies at Home on Benson Street

After an illness of 12 hours, Wilfred M. Kaighn, 66, a direct descendant of the first settlers of Kaighn's Point, died yesterday at his home, 567 Benson street. Mr. Kaighn was stricken with a hemorrhage of the brain Thursday night. He was superintendent of the Baltimore Life Insurance Company until six years ago, when he retired. He was a member of the official board of First M. E. Church and Ionic Lodge No. 94, Free and Accepted Masons. 

Survivors are: The widow, Mary A., and a daughter, Mrs. Vera Kaighn Nirella, soprano soloist in East Liberty Presbyterian Church, Pittsburgh, and former church singer in Philadelphia. Mr. Kaighn also is survived by two grandchildren.

Dr. George W. Yard, pastor of First M. E. Church, and Dr. Thomas S. Brock, pastor of St. Paul's M. E. Church, Atlantic City, will conduct services at 2:00 PM, Tuesday, at the funeral home of Joseph H. Murray & Son, 408 Cooper street. Burial will be in Harleigh Cemetery.

Mr. Kaighn was a descendant of John Kaighn, who arrived from England at Byberry, Pa., in 1690 and later acquired all of the land in what now is Camden, from Line street to Line Ditch.