THADDEUS A. BORZ was born in Pennsylvania on September 4, 1904. He was the son of Polish parents, who brought the family to Camden in late 1909 or early 1910. The family then lived at 1177 Lawrence Street in South Camden. His father, Thaddeus Martin Borz, was a cabinetmaker by trade, and in the 1910s moved his family to the Whitman Park section of Camden, where many people of Polish descent settled, to be near their beloved St. Joseph's Church on South 10th Street between Liberty and Mechanic Streets. The family lived at 1223 Chase Street, only a block away from the business he had founded The Wood Specialty Company, at 1166 Chase Street. Although struck by a fire in August of 1936, the business survived, remaining at the Chase Street location through at least the fall of 1959. Thaddeus Martin Borz was still alive and living at 1223 Chase Street as late as 1947. He passed away in Florida in December of 1959.
Thaddeus A. Borz worked in Camden's city government in the mid-1930's as Deputy City Clerk, and later became involved in real estate and practiced law, from offices at 1440 Mount Ephraim Avenue, from the 1940s through the early 1970s. He made his home at 4736 Browning Road in Pennsauken NJ in the late 1940s.
Last a resident of Millville NJ, Thaddeus A. Borz passed away in February of 1974.
|Camden Courier-Post - August 1, 1936|
DAMAGES MILL IN SOUTH CAMDEN
A fire believed started by spontaneous combustion in a sawdust pile, swept through the basement and first floor of the Wood Specialty Company plant, 1166 Chase street, at 10 a. m. yesterday. Six men working in the wood shop were forced to flee as the flames reached the first floor. An alarm was sounded by a pedestrian who saw smoke issuing from a basement window.
The woodworking company is owned by Thaddeus Borz, father of the former assistant city clerk. Borz, who lives at 1223 Chase street, was out of the city. Firemen said the blaze caused damage of approximately $1000. Three companies answered the alarm and fought the flames for more than 30 minutes.
Thaddeus Borz, Jr., former city employee, said he believed the fire started through overheating of a coal stove In the basement, igniting the sawdust pile.Hundreds of spectators were attracted to the scene, and traffic was rerouted off Mt. Ephraim Avenue for several squares.
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE