SAMUEL M. JAQUILLARD was the son of Charles B. & Elizabeth "Eliza" Jaquillard. He was born in Pennsylvania in, according to the 1900 Census, September of 1850. He was the second of four known children, coming after William and before Charles and Elizabeth "Lizzie" Jaquillard. The 1870 Census shows him living with his widowed mother and siblings in Philadelphia. Samuel Jaquillard married Sarah "Sallie" B. Edwards on June 20, 1872. A daughter, Mamie (also known as Mary), was born shortly afterwards. The Jaquillards were still living in Philadelphia when the census was taken in 1880. Another daughter, Ida, was born in November of 1882. Samuel Jaquillard then worked as a patternmaker, a trade he followed throughout his life.

By July 20, 1886, when son George Jaquillard was born, the family had moved to what then was Stockton Township in Camden County, New Jersey. Another son, Newton Danenhower Jaquillard, was born in 1893. Stockton Township became the Town of Stockton in 1894 and was annexed by the City of Camden in 1899.  The Jaquillard's first turn up in Camden's City Directories in the 1887-1888 edition, on 

"Pleasant nr 1st C Hill" which places them in what, after streets were renamed in 1899, the 2700 block of Pleasant Street in what today is referred to as East Camden. City Directories from 1894 through 1901 place him at 2729 Pleasant Street. From 1902 until his death in the late 1920s he made his home at 2735 Pleasant Street, and his widow remained at that address for many years after his passing. 

The Sanborn Map for 1906 does not show 2729 Pleasant Street, but does show 2731 and 2735 Pleasant, as well as 2743 Pleasant Street. It appears that Samuel Jaquillard and family may have arranged to have two homes built side by side at 2731 and 2735, as the family occupied these properties well into the 1960s.

Daughter Mamie married Newton S. Danenhower in 1897, a son, Orville was born the following year. The young couple lived with the Jaquillards through 1901, moved to 2716 Pleasant Street by 1900, and by 1902 had settled at 2731 Pleasant Street, next door to the Jaquillards, where they too, stayed for many, many years. Son George Jaquillard also eventually moved back to Pleasant Street after marrying and lived at 2743 and later at 2916 Pleasant Street. He resided their for decades as well. The Jaquillard family maintained a presence on Pleasant Street as late as 1977.

Samuel Jaquillard was active in the affairs of his community not long after moving to Stockton. He was a founding member of Stockton's first volunteer fire company, Citizens Fire Company No. 1, and soon involved himself in politics as a Republican. He served as a Camden County freeholder in the mid 1890s and was instrumental in securing the votes that led to the Town of Stockton being united with the City of Camden in 1899. He left politics shortly afterwards.

Samuel Jaquillard was elected to Camden Lodge 293 of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks in 1897, and was quite active in that organization for many years. His date of death is not known as of this writing, however, as he is listed in the 1926 Camden City Directory and only his widow appears in the following years edition, it would have have occurred in late 196 or early 1927. Samuel Jaquillard was buried at Arlington Cemetery in Pennsauken.

In his younger days, Samuel Jaquillard was quite well known locally as a baseball player, and according to his obituary, which is reproduced below, he played for a team from Camden's Eleventh Ward. As Camden did not HAVE an Eleventh Ward until the summer of 1899, this would indicate that he was still getting out on the ball field at the ripe old age of 49. What is known is that his grandson Orville was active as a semi-pro baseball player in Camden and operated a sporting goods business out of 2731 Pleasant Street for well over 30 years.

Camden Courier-Post * March 1949

Stockton Annexed Against Protest Of Democrats.

Fifty years ago, the old town of Stockton was annexed to the City of Camden over the protests of Democratic members of the town council.

But a Republican Legislature approved a bill introduced by former Justice Frank T. Lloyd on March 24, 1899. He was a member of the Assembly at the time. He resided then in the structure now occupied by the Sheltering Arms Home at Eighteenth street and River avenue.

The town of Stockton had been in existence five years when the annexation took place. Merchantville and Pennsauken township were part of the original Stockton Township with the present East Camden area. Merchantville received its charter as a borough 75 years ago this month. In 1892. Pennsauken township withdrew, from the. township to become a separate municipality.

For two years East Camden remained in the township. In 1894 Alfred Cramer, founder of Cramer Hill, launched a movement to create the town of Stockton and the first governing body was elected. Edward Dudley, then a leading lawyer, was elected councilman-at-large, which entitled him to preside as mayor. William S. Abbott, a lifelong resident, became became clerk.

The town was divided into three wards. Fred Voigt and Justice Lloyd also served with Cramer and Dudley in the town council. The town hall was on the triangle, at Twenty-seventh and Federal Streets.

Albert Plum and William C. Reeves were justices of the peace. Samuel M. Jaquillard served on the Board of Freeholders as did W.O. Buck and Joseph Funfer. Charles E. Allen was a member of the Board of Education.

After the annexation Abbott was elected to Camden City Council. Others elected were Dr. William H. Kensinger, now a resident of Florida; Frederick S. von Nieda, Frederick H. Finkeldey, president of the first Playground Commission; Arthur R, Gemberling, now of Woodstown.

Other active citizens were Lemuel D. Horner, undertaker; Dr. H. F. Hadley, Jacob Bendinger, proprietor of the Rosedale Inn, and Walter L. Tushingham, former vice-president and general manager of the Courier-Post Newspapers.

Philadelphia Inquirer - February 11, 1894

Edward E. Grantz
Charles Hope
Harry E. Cheeseman
David B. Ristine
John C. Zane
George Swope
Andrew J. Morris
H.K. Seddinger
Benjamin Beideman
James Mortimer
Maurice Steeelman
Samuel Jaquillard

Philadelphia Inquirer - January 3, 1895

Andrew J. Moore - H.K. Seddinger - Samuel Jaquillard
James Mortimer - David B. Risyine - Wiiliam C. Ristine
John C. Zane - Charles Pedigree

Philadelphia Inquirer - March 17, 1895

Otto  Stix - Otmar E. Schmid - Frank T. Lloyd - W. Oscar Buck - Silas Betts Jr.
Samuel Jaquillard - Albert Plum - Charles Hope - John B. Davis

Philadelphia Inquirer - March 24, 1896

Samuel Jaquillard
Acquille Shimp
Robert Lee
Alfred Cramer
Charles Beale
George Kirkbride
John Crawford
W.W. Mines Jr.
A.J. Smith
Richard Holmes
W. Oscar Buck
Thomas Jane
John Laming
John B. Davis
Mason Young

Philadelphia Inquirer - June 13, 1897

Samuel Jaquillard - Newton S. Danenhower
Rev. J.B. Westcott - Clara Hilliard -
North 25th Street
High Street -Rev. Roland Ringwalt
St. Wilfrid's Episcopal Church
Gen. John A Logan Post 102 G.A.R.

Philadelphia Inquirer - July 3, 1897

A. James Smith - Federal Street - Westfield Avenue
Rev. Joseph Garrison - Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church
Gertrude Johnson - Charles Pile - Mary Pile - W.S. Johnson
Samuel Jaquillard - Pleasant Street

Philadelphia Inquirer - February 21, 1898

Samuel Jaquillard - Peter Hagan - Robert Gick - Appledoor
William Houseman

Philadelphia Inquirer - October 16, 1898

William J. Browning

John Cherry
Joseph Burt
J. Willard Morgan
Harry C. Sharp
Caleb Williams
C.J. Mines Jr.
T.P. Varney
Fred W. George
James O. Smith
Edwin Hillman
Charles Hope
George W. Miles
Samuel Jaquillard

Camden Courier-Post * 

Forty Years Active in Politics, Civic Affairs of District
Served in Town Council, Freeholders and Other Organizations

From the annals of the historic old Town of Stockton, that section east of the Cooper River which formerly embodied what is now known as East Camden, North Cramer Hill and Rosedale, has been stricken the name of one of the most prominent politicians and sportsmen of thirty years ago, Samuel M. Jaquillard.

With the death of Jaquillard, who succumbed yesterday at his home, 2735 Pleasant Street, the former township, once a cauldron of political battles, we lost one of the few remaining leaders who were instrumentalists in the annexation on the section to the City of Camden.

Jaquillard died after nearly a years illness and will be buried Saturday afternoon in Arlington Cemetery following services at the home at two o'clock.

The deceased, who resided in the section for more than forty years and began his career about the same time as his friend, the late ex-Senator David Baird started in local affairs, came into political prominence during the election in 1894, when he was largely instrumental in swinging the township to a strong Republican vote.

The town, then consisting of the three wards, was the only section in the city in which there was a disturbance. Feelings ran so high that a few minutes before the closing of the polls, a hot fist fight started between the members of both parties after it was alleged that Democrats were challenging every Republican voter as to delay the casting of the ballots and prevent about 365 Republicans from voting. The township gave H.C. Loudenslager, Republican candidate for re-election as Congressman, 1,119 votes and threw a strong G.O.P. vote for the Assembly.

Elected to Freeholders

The following year he was on the Republican ticket, representing the Third Ward of the township. He was elected Freeholder by a large majority. Running mates on the ticker were Fred Voigt, town council, Charles E. Allen, board of education, Alberto Plum and William C. Reeves, justices of the peace.

Jaquillard was named chairman of the bridge committee of the Board of Freeholders. At that time Harry F. Wolfe was director of the board, while the other Stockton representatives were W.O. Buck and Joseph Funfer. During Jaquillard's regime on the bridge committee, a number of spans were constructed throughout the county. They were an iron bridge over Sw____ pond, pile ___ on the road between Wilton and Sicklerville, iron bridge over the creek on Ballinger Road, _____, _______ on the ____ West Palmyra, and a span over the stream at ________ separating Camden and Burlington counties. Work on all the bridges started in 1895.

The deceased was also one of the founders of the Citizens Fire Company No. 1, with headquarters at Twenty-seventh Street and Hayes Avenue. He was a charter member of the fire company in 1891., the year it was incorporated and was a member of the committee on the constitution and bylaws in 1893.

Jaquillard's prominence became more pronounced when he joined the movement toward annexation of Stockton into Camden City. His fondest dream was realized when at a special election the township was incorporated into the city on March 24, 1899.

Boomed for Mayorality

His popularity increases at this time, and a mayorality boom. Friends urged him to run against Cooper B. Hatch, but he finally declined to do so. He dropped out of politics shortly after this.

The deceased was elected a member of the Camden Lodge of Elks No. 293 in 1897 and was active in that organization for many years. He was married on June 30, 1872 to Miss Sallie B. Edwards, who survives him.

Jaquillard's activities were not confined to municipal affairs, for he was one of the best known ball players in this section, being a catcher for the old Stockton Park nine, Eleventh Ward team and others.