JOSEPH H. MINNETT replaced Howard Sharp as an extra man with the Hook & Ladder Company of the Camden Fire Department April 1, 1879. He served until the spring of 1882, when he was replaced by Logan Bates

According to the 1900 Census, Joseph H. Minnett was born in New Jersey in October of 1849. In 1869 he married Elizabeth Featherer of Woolwich Township in Gloucester County. A son, Harry, was born in Camden in 1869, and a daughter, Ada Belle Minnett was born in April of 1870. The Minnetts were living in Woolwich with Mrs. Minnett's mother when the Census was taken in June of 1870. Sadly, Ada Belle died during the 1870s.

Joseph Minnett and his family returned to Camden at some point after the 1870 Census. By 1878 the family was living at 215 Mickle Street, not far from the railroad yard where Joseph Minnett worked as a car inspector. A son, Willard Howell Minnett, was born on December 7, 1880. The family lived at 215 Mickle Street through at least 1885. The 1887-1888 City Directory shows them living at 215 Bridge Avenue. By the spring of 1888 they had moved to 314 Beckett Street. Another son, Raymond J. Minnett, was born on February 15, 1890. The Minnetts were still living at 314 Beckett Street when the Census was taken in 1900.

The 1906 City Directory shows that Joseph Minnett was no longer working for the railroad. He and his wife were living with their son Harry Minnett at 614 Carman Street. Joseph Minnett was working as a metalworker. When the 1910 Census was taken, Joseph and Elizabeth Minnett were still living with their son Harry, daughter-in-law Emma, and granddaughters Dorothy and Florence at 1021 Cooper Street.

Joseph H. Minnett passed away shortly after the 1910 Census. 

Joseph Minnett was a member of the Wyoming Tribe No. 55 of the Improved Order of Red Men, as were fellow Camden Fire Department members James M. Lane and Charles G. Zimmerman. George Reeser Prowell, in his History of Camden County, New Jersey, published in 1886, wrote the following about this organization:

WYOMING TRIBE, No. 55, was instituted July 8, 1880. The Great Chiefs present were Great Prophet, Wm. P. Hall; Great Sachem, James M. Smith; G.C. of R., John T. Davis. The first Chiefs of the tribe were Prophet, Joseph H. Minnett; Sachem, Alonzo Bicking; Senior Sagamore, Chas. G. Zimmerman; Junior Sagamore, Wm. F. Propert; C. of R., D.C. Vannote; K. of W., Jos. B. Fox. The present Chiefs - P., J.A. Dold; S., Henry C. Boddy; S.S., Wm. B. Bignell; J.S., Wm. J. Boddy; C. of R., D.C. Vannote; K. of W., J.B. Fox. The number of members is one hundred and fifty-eight. The lodge meets Wednesday evenings at Third and Market Streets.

Joseph Minnett was very active in another fraternal organization in Camden, the Knights of the Golden Eagle. George Reeser Prowell wrote the following about this organization:


The Knights of the Golden Eagle is a secret benevolent institution, founded in Baltimore, Md., February 6, 1873, and is now in successful operation in the States of Maryland, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Delaware, New Jersey, California, Ohio, New York, Iowa, Georgia, Connecticut, West Virginia, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri, Colorado, Virginia, Illinois, Alabama and the District of Columbia. It is based upon the most liberal principles consistent with future prosperity, and has for its motto, " Fidelity, Valor and Honor," a trinity of graces which are taught in its ritual. 

The order has for its main object the promotion of the principles of true benevolence, associating its members together for purposes of mutual relief against the trials and difficulties which attach to sickness, distress and death, so far as they may be mitigated by sympathy and pecuniary assistance. It studiously avoids all sectarian and political controversy, and aims to cultivate the social, moral and intellectual feelings of its members, and to promote their welfare in all the walks of life. 

The Order of the Knights of the Golden Eagle was introduced into the State of New Jersey in the summer of 1883, Camden Castle, No. 1, being instituted in August of that year with twenty-four members. During the year 1884 four new castles were instituted, at Millville, Camden, Mount Holly and Salem, respectively. The membership, at the close of the year, being five hundred and eighty-four. In 1886 the number of castles was increased to ten, with a membership of one thousand and one, and from January 1, 1886, to the present time thirteen new castles have been formed, and the membership increased to over two thousand. 

The Grand Castle of New Jersey was instituted July 16, 1884, the officers at institution being : Past Grand Chief, John P. Price ; Grand Chief, Joseph H. Minnett; Grand Vice-Chief, William A. Garrison ; Grand Master of Records, Daniel M. Stevens ; Grand Keeper of Exchequer, P. P. Achenbach ; Grand Sir Herald, George J. Robertson ; Grand High Priest, Henry F. Bacon ; Grand First Guardsman, S. Luther Richmond ; Grand Second Guardsman, George W. Stevens. 

The present officers are: Past Grand Chief, William A. Garrison, Westville; Grand Chief, Henry P. Bacon, Salem (P. O. Box 200); Grand Vice- Chief, Irving W. Kelly, Perry and Montgomery Streets, Trenton; Grand Sir Herald, P. P. Achenbach, 712 Carman Street, Camden; Grand High Priest, John S. Broughton, Trenton; Grand Master of Records, E. D. Senseman, 580 Clinton Street, Camden; Grand Keeper of Exchequer, F. A. Buren, Merchantville; Grand First Guardsman, George Williams, Wrightsville; Grand Second Guardsman, William F, Perry, Quinton. 

The next annual session will be held in Camden on the first Wednesday in March, 1887. 

Camden Castle, No. 1, was instituted August 9, 1883, with the following officers: P. C, Joseph T. Fortiner; N. C, Charles Brown ; V. C, Joseph Rubicam ; H. P., John C. Newhouse ; V. H., Watson Stevens; K. of E., Charles Aston; C. of E., Herman Rosade ; M. of R., E. D. Senseman ; Sir H., Joseph C. Madara ; W. B., William B. Vannaman; W. C, John J. Pierson, Jr. ; Ens., George A. Bingham ; Esq., William S. Caume ; 1st G., John J. Pierson, Sr. ; 2d G., Thomas T. Madara. The present officers are : P. C, Robert F. Stockton ; N. C, Birtus A. Wagner ; V. C, Edwin F. Jones ; H. P., William S. Carels ; V. H., George Cook ; M. of R., Howard M. Sexton ; C. of E., Herman Rosade ; K. of E., Charles Brown ; S. H., William P. Fowler. 

The lodge meets every Friday evening at Lincoln Hall, Third and Market Streets. The membership is three hundred and forty. 

Washington Castle, No. 3, was instituted April 4, 1884. The officers at institution were : P. C, John N. Madara; N. C, Daniel M. Stevens; V. C, H. Frank Pettit; V. H., Andrew G. Vannaman ; H. P., James H. Reeves ; K. of E., Elmer E. Cox; C. of E., Samuel A. Barto; M. of R., George W. Stevens ; Sir H., George S. Fox ; W. B., C. O. Pedrick; W. C, James Hoagland; Ensign, Lemuel Pike; Esq., James Hartley; 1st G., John Allen ; 2d G., W. B. Waters. The present officers are : P. C, Joseph W. Jackson ; N. C, James Spence ; V. C, William B. Gibbs ; H. P., H. W. Howland ; V. H., John P. R. Carney ; M. of R., George W. Stevens ; C. of E., Charles Sayre ; K. of E., Elmer E. Cox ; S. H., William B. Slocum. 

The lodge meets every Friday night, at Wildey Hall, Fifth and Pine Streets. The number of members is two hundred and thirty-three. 

Red Cross Castle, No. 6, was instituted January 2S, 1885, with the following officers: P. C. W. H. Tyler; N. C., F. T. Steinbach ; H. P., Adam Hoffman ; V. H., Hiram Walton ; M. of R., Geo. S. Bundick; C. of E., Isaac Buzby. The present officers are : P. C, Frederick Fearn ; N. C, Adam Hoffman ; V. C, Joseph M. Taylor; H. P., E. O. Smith; M. of R., Walter Hart; C. of E., John Neff; K. of E., Moses Gour; S. H., D. Ewan. 

The lodge meets every Monday night, at Gour's Hall, 249 Kaighn Avenue. The number of members is seventy-five. 

White Cross Castle, No. 19, was instituted August 20, 1886, with the following officers: P. C, William H. Snyder; N. C, Richard Twelves; V. C, W. D. Reel; H. P., Morris E. Michel; V. H., Joseph Engard ; M- of R., W. H. Wagoner ; C. of E., Richard A. Outwater; K. of E., Frank Mester; Sir H., George W. Reese ; W. B., E. W. Shallcross ; W. C, Harry E. Horner ; Ens., Morris Odell ; E-q., C. E. Swaney ; First Guard, W. H. Strang; Second Guard, C. E. Bowker. 

The lodge meets every Monday night at the northwest corner of Second and Federal Streets, Camden. The present membership is ninety. 

Monarch Castle, No. 9, was instituted November 11, 1886, the officers at institution being: P. C, George L. Frazee ; N. C, Charles E. Lane J V. C, Samuel R. Murray ; H. P., N. N. Wentz; V. H., J. K. Hibbs ; M. of R., Frank S. Fithian; C. of E., Abram H. Allen ; K. of E , Thomas B. Woolston ; S. H., James Rudolph; W. B., Horace J. Parks; W. C, C. P. Baker; Ens., William H. Smith, Jr. ; Esq., George Ewan ; First Guard, Charles H. Savidge ; Second Guard, George Ewan. The present officers are P. C, John W. Mickle ; N. C, George C. Vankirk ; V. C, Edwin S. Titus; H. P., R. M. Coffman ; V. H., D. P. Steiner ; M. of R., E. D. Senseman; C. of E., Abram H. Allen; K. of E., Washington Bucknell;. Sir H., William M. Callingham; W. B., Charles Kain ; W. C, Theo. Austermuhl; Ens., William M. Strohl; Esq., John F. Wilkins ; First Guard, Jacob E. Miller; Second Guard, William P. Riker. 

Meetings are held every Wednesday night at the northwest corner of Fourth and Federal Streets. The present membership is one hundred and thirteen.

Trenton Times
September 9, 1888
Horace J. Parks - H. Frank Pettit - Richard Twelves - E.D. Senseman  

Bridgeton Evening News - September 21, 1892

Trenton Times - December 5, 1895
P.P. Achenbach - Daniel M. Stevens - Joseph H. Minnett

Bridgeton Evening News - May 16, 1899

Bridgeton Evening News - May 17, 1904