JOSEPH PETER KLOSTERMAN was born in New Jersey on November 8, 1898, the son of Frederick and Catherine Klostermann. His father was a cigar maker. By the time of the 1910 census and through at least 1929, the family lived at 1148 Kaighn Avenue. At some point prior to 1917 he stopped using the second "n" in his surname. He was working at New York Shipbuilding Corporation when he registered for the draft. Both he and his brother ostensibly worked as plumbers during the 1920s, according to the City Directories. Joseph Klosterman married around 1920. The couple lived at 1148 Kaighn Avenue through 1929.

Tragedy struck in late December of 1929 when his father, Fred Klosterman Sr., who had been running a bar called the Campus Inn in West Berlin, New Jersey was discovered to have committed suicide.

Along with his brother Fred Klosterman, Joe Klosterman became heavily involved in the illegal lottery, or "numbers" racket, in Whitman Park and South Camden in the 1930s and 1940s. The Klosterman brothers were very active in Camden in the early 1930s. 

The 1930 Census shows Joe Klosterman had separated from his wife Annie. He was living at 1251 Mechanic Street, which was a bar operating on a "soft drink" license as the country was still enduring Prohibition. According to the census the premises was being rented and the bar operated by John Frenia. Joe Klosterman ostensibly was a helper at the bar. 

Joe Klosterman was fined in December of 1931 on a disorderly persons charge. He arrested in June of 1933 and subsequently fined $200 by Judge Garfield Pancoast for running a numbers bank on Mt. Ephraim Avenue. Also in June of 1933 both he and his brother were convicted on numbers charges, but appealed and the city dropped the charges the following spring. In the wake of a police crackdown on gang activity that occurred in the aftermath of the 1934 murder of Detective William Feitz of the Camden Police Department, the Klosterman brothers were sentenced to three-to-five-year prison terms by Judge Frank F. Neutze in the spring of 1935. Fred and Joe Klosterman were released in on July 9th of 1936. Joe Klosterman left Camden by 1947 and was living in Sewell, New Jersey when once agin he was arrested on numbers charges in 1959.

Joseph Klosterman was last a resident of Pitman, New Jersey. He died in October of 1968.

Camden Courier-Post - January 31, 1928

Philadelphia Sportsman Sued by Camden Trio In Circuit Court

Damages aggregating $135,000 are asked of a prominent Philadelphia sportsman in suits being heard by Judge Donges and a jury in Camden Circuit Court today.

The plaintiffs, who are represented by attorney Albert S. Woodruff, are Charles Klopp, 1152 Sycamore Street, brother of Henry Klopp, who died as a result of an accident last spring; Miss Helen Groczyk, 1079 Van Hook Street, who was injured in the same crash, and her father Josef Groczyk. Klopp asks $50,000 for compensation for his brother’s death; Miss Groczyk seeks $75,000 for her injuries and her father wants $10,000 for medical expenses incurred by his daughter’s hurt.

The suits were brought against William Poultney Smith, of Cynwyd PA, and are a result of an accident early on the morning of May 11, 1927 on Black Horse Pike at Bellmawr.

According to Miss Groczyk, who went on the witness stand yesterday afternoon, she went for an automobile ride with Henry Klopp, Joseph Klosterman, and Mrs. Esther Rieder. They had been to Chews Landing and were returning to Camden, she said, when she became ill in the smoke-filled sedan. She left the car, aided by Klopp, and was standing directly behind when another machine, driven by Smith, crashed into them, crushing them against their car. The plaintiffs contend that Smith had been playing golf at Pine Valley, had afterwards been drinking, and was in a stupor while driving his machine, thus causing the accident. Klopp was taken to the Went Jersey Homeopathic Hospital, where a leg was amputated, and where he died seven days later.

The girl, who is now 18 years old, had both legs broken and suffered other injuries. She appeared in court with a brace on her right leg and limped to the stand. She testified that their car was fully lighted when they stopped on the road.

The defense will contend that the Klopp car had no lights, and will deny all responsibility for the tragedy.

Klopp was a World War veteran, his brother testified and had been the only support for his mother, Mrs. Julia Klopp, his brother and a sister, Ida..  

Camden Courier-Post - June 14, 1933
Police Believe Hunt for Racket Headquarters Ended; 4 Are Arrested

A three-month search for "number's" headquarters in Camden was believed ended today when 
detectives raided a florist shop at 1409 Mt. Ephraim avenue, seized seven adding machines, thousands of dollars worth of sales slips and arrested four men. 

Joseph Klosterman, 34, of 1413 Mt. Ephraim Avenue, whom the police believe operated the "bank," was included in a quartet arrested by a squad under command of Sergeant of Detectives Louis Shaw

Responding to an anonymous tip that the numbers men were gathered in a rear room of the store, Shaw, together with Detectives Clarence Arthur, George Zeitz and John Kaighn, surrounded the place.

The others arrested in the raid gave their names as Charles Selanski, 23, of 1286 Sheridan Street; Leon Babrowski, 22, of 1209 Lansdowne Avenue, and Frank Gromacki, 27, of 1411 Mt. Ephraim Avenue. Several "pickup men," who have been arrested while carrying money and numbers slips, according to Shaw, were linked with the ring. The principals, however, had managed to escape detection. 

The flower shop, Shaw said, is operated by Joseph Haleski, and was used as a "blind" for the lottery racket.

Klosterman was released last night in $1000 bail for a hearing today on a charge of operating a numbers lottery. The others were all released in $100 cash security as material witnesses..

Camden Courier-Post - June 21, 1933

Mysterious Piece of Paper' Enlivens Numbers Trial Here 
Judge Shay Enjoys Verbal Tilt Between Gotshalk and Walter Keown,
But It Fails to Enter Into Evidence

A mysterious piece of paper yesterday precipitated a verbal battle between Assistant Prosecutor William C. Gotshalk and Defense Attorney Walter S. Keown upon opening of the trial of Joseph and Fred Klosterman on charges of number writing. They were placed on trial before Judge Samuel M. Shay and a crlminal court jury. 

Acting Lieutenant Louis Shaw, of the city detective bureau, testified of a raid on the Klosterman saloon at Mechanic and Green streets and an adjacent house at 1321 Green street. The witness identified a brief-case containing numbers slips and also a postal card addressed to "F. Klosterman." 

When Shaw was turned over to Keown for cross-examination, the defense counsel reached into the case, pulled out a piece of paper and asked how it had gotten into the bar. When Shaw said he had put it there, Keown declared: 

"Well, put it into your pocket. It has nothing to do with this case." 

Shaw refused, whereupon Keown rolled it up into a ball and put it in his own pocket. At this, Gotshalk angrily demanded to see the paper, but Keown declared that "you can't see this until after the jury has gone out." When Gotshalk insisted, Keown said he would give it to Judge Shay. He threw it on the judge's desk, but Judge Shay, who was smiling broadly, made no move to take it. Gotshalk then reached out to get the paper, but Keown was quicker retrieving it and placing it in his pocket again.

"What right have you to take a state exhibit and place it in your pocket?" Gotshalk queried heatedly. "I want that paper." 

"I'll show it to Judge Shay," parried Keown. 

"I don't want to see it," laughed Judge Shay, as Keown paced around the courtroom, followed by Gotshalk. 

"It has nothing to do with this case," repeated Keown. 

And there the matter stood. 

Shaw testified that he, Detective Clarence Arthur and Patrolman John Kaighn entered the saloon December 10, and went out the back door. They followed a path to the Green street house, broke down the door and found Henry Bagroewski, 17, and his mother burning numbers slips in a stove. Shaw said he recovered a half basket of slips. 

Shaw and Arthur also declared that they found a bell in the house and that it was connected to a push button in the saloon, allegedly for an alarm. 

Mary King, deputy city clerk, testified that at the time of the raid the license for the saloon was in Joseph Klosterman's name. 

Shaw's testimony was corroborated by Arthur and Kaighn. Shaw was then recalled to the stand and related that as the three detectives went from the saloon to the other house, the Klosterman brothers followed them and demanded to know "why the dicks are always picking on us." 

The case will be resumed this morning. . 

Camden Courier-Post - June 22, 1933

Camden Brothers Released in Bail Awaiting Sentence 
Both Defendants Deny Connection With Raided Saloon

Joseph and Fred Klosterman were convicted in Camden Criminal Court yesterday of operating a numbers racket. 

A jury returned a guilty verdict against the two South Camden sportsmen-brothers at 6:25 p. m., after deliberating only a short while. 

Both were in the courtroom when the verdict was announced, but were allowed to depart under bail pending sentence later by Judge Samuel M. Shay

Judge Shay delivered his charge to the jury after denying motions by Walter S. Keown, defense counsel, first to quash the indictment on grounds that 
its language was faulty, and second, to direct a verdict of not guilty for lack of evidence.

Called 'Big Shots' 

The two brothers were character ized as "big shot numbers barons" by Assistant Prosecutor William C. Gotshalk in his closing argument to the jury. 

Referring to a woman and her son, who were burning numbers slips when raiders entered the establishment, Gotshalk said: . 

"They might ask us why we don't have that woman and her 17-year­old son on trial here. When the police make an arrest the public wants to know why we don't get the big shots. Well, here they are," pointing at the Klostermans. "Here are the big shots," 

The Klosterman saloon, Mechanic and Green Streets, was raided December 10 by city detectives who testified Tuesday they followed a footpath to an adjacent house at 1312 Green Street. They broke down the door and found a woman and her son burning numbers slips. Acting Lieutenant Louis Shaw, of the city detective bureau, testified he recovered some of the slips and also found a brief case containing numbers slips and a post card addressed to "F. Klosterman." Detective Clarence Arthur and Patrolman John Kaighn corroborated Shaw's testimony. 

Says He Was Visitor 

The defense opened with Joseph Klosterman on the stand. He testified he had nothing to do with the saloon when it was raided, but merely happened to be in there for a drink when the raiders entered. He said he had owned the saloon for three and a half years but sold it last July for $100. He never had any connection with the Green Street house, he declared. He is now a plumber, Klosterman averred. 

When Assistant Prosecutor Gotshalk asked him if he had ever been convicted of crime, Keown asked that the jury be withdrawn as he wanted to make another motion. Court then recessed. 

When court resumed Mrs. Anna Pogroszewski, of the Green street address, took the stand. She testified the Klostermans were not connected with her home in any manner. She testified she had rented a room to a man named "Tommy" and all the numbers apparatus was his. When he moved out, he left the slips and adding machines there, she said, and she had cleaned out his room and was burning the papers when the raiders arrived. 

Fred Klosterman, who resides at 1255 Decatur Street, denied he was a "numbers baron" and said he merely "happened" to be there on the day of the raid. Under cross-examination he admitted having pleaded guilty to slot machine charges in June of last year.

Camden Courier-Post
Evening Courier - September 12, 1934
Klosterman Named by Man Found With Slips On Him After Arrest
Others Must Face Trial; More Arraigned and Bonds Fixed by Court

While Camden County authorities were collecting evidence to present to the new Grand Jury when it convenes next Thursday afternoon to open its extraordinary probe into vice and crime, Camden today pressed their drive on gambling in this city.

Three men, one of whom police declare is a "numbers" bank operator here, were held under bail to await the action of the Grand Jury by Judge J. Harry Switzer when arraigned in Police Court.

The alleged "numbers" baron is Joseph Klosterman, who gave an address of 1400 Mechanic Street. He was held in $3000 bail for the Grand Jury on a charge of operating a "numbers" Lottery.

Held in $2000 Bail

Albert Young, 41, of 519 North 2nd Street, was held in $2000 bail and remanded to the Grand Jury action on a charge of possession of numbers slips. He entered a plea of guilty when arraigned before Judge Switzer.

Walter Hart, 25, of 1245 Thurman Street, who was taken into custody at 9:05 AM today by police after Young revealed he passed over his numbers slips between 2:00 PM and 2:30 PM daily, was held in $5000 bail on a charge of operating a "numbers" lottery. He pleaded not guilty to the complaint which was signed by City Detective George Zeitz.

After arraignment the three "numbers" suspects were taken from court to detective headquarters where they were photographed and fingerprinted.

At the hearing of Klosterman, Detective Zeitz testified that he hand his brother Fred were each fined $500 on May 23 last in lieu of serving a six month jail sentence which had been imposed July 21, 1933 by Criminal Judge Shay after having been convicted of operating a "numbers" lottery.

The detective further testified that he had statement ts from five other persons, one of whom was Young, arrested in connection with the gambling drive, who stated that they worked for the "Klosterman brothers numbers bank".

Besides Young, the others, all of whom are under $2000 bail each for grand jury action, include Frank Kulczynski 26, of 1100 Orchard Street, Charles Simonin, 35, of 709 Fairview Street; Mrs. Mary Angelio, 26, of 600 Line Street; Harry Koron, 42, of 1528 Mount Ephraim Avenue, and Leon Yaroch, 39,of 612 Kaighn Avenue.

Klosterman was taken into custody yesterday by Police Lieutenant Walter Welch, of the Second Police District, on a warrant signed by Zeitz. Young was picked up Sergeant Edward Hahn and Patrolman Ralph Cline.

The Klosterman brothers' "numbers bank", according to Detective Zeitz, was located at Mt. Ephraim Avenue and Mechanic Street.

A "number" bank fugitive, Joseph Cheak, 32, colored, who lives on 10th Street near Kaighn Avenue, is lodged in the Camden County jail awaiting court action. He was arrested in Philadelphia yesterday and brought here to face an indictment returned against him two weeks ago by the Camden County Grand Jury.

Chief County Detective Lawrence T. Doran disclosed that Cheak is known as the operator of the "colored numbers bank" in South Camden.

While police and detectives were scouring the city to learn whether or not the warning issued 36 hours ago to all proprietors of gambling houses to close down and stay closed was being enforced, Mayor Stewart was continuing the questioning of police officials and detectives at his City Hall office.

Data on vice and crime conditions was sought by Mayor Stewart.

Camden Courier-Post
Evening Courier - September 13, 1934

Klosterman Named by Man Found With Slips on Him After Arrest
Others Must Face Trial; More Arraigned and Bonds Fixed By Court
Campaign Against Writers Pushed With Feitz Probe
Mayor Pledges Aid of Camden Cops to State on Illicit Liquor

Arrests in the numbers racket in Camden continued today simultaneously with the continuation of the inquiry into the murder of City Detective William T. Feitz Jr.

With the Feitz slaying probe in its eleventh day- the detective was slain September 2 at 243 Sycamore Street, an alleged disorderly house- city and county authorities were still questioning witnesses in an endeavor to obtain sufficient evidence to name the murderer or murderers.

The arrest this morning of Crawford Smith, 51, of 702 Carman Street, as a numbers writer, brought the total of those apprehended this week in the numbers racket to 10.

At the same time Police Judge J. Harry Switzer held Fred Klosterman, 33, of 1050 Mechanic Street, in $5000 bail for the grand jury on a charge of operating a numbers game.

Klosterman's brother, Joseph Klosterman, 35, of 1400 Mechanic Street, was released in $3000 bail yesterday by Judge Switzer on a charge of operating a numbers lottery.

The Klostermans. according to police, are among the topnotch numbers barons of the city. Both pleaded not guilty to the charges against them.

No Testimony Taken

Fred Klosterman surrendered voluntarily yesterday afternoon when he learned that police were seeking him as an alleged numbers operator.

He was arraigned in police court today on complaint of George Zeitz, a city detective, who charged him with operating a numbers game. Police did not reveal where Fred Klosterman allegedly operated.

There was no testimony taken at the hearing of Fred Klosterman. His bail bond was signed by John Zubien. Police say they do not know Zubien's address. Mrs. Anna Bubnoski, of 1426 Mount Ephraim Avenue, posted the $3000 bail for Joseph Klosterman. Zeitz also had made complaint against him.

Fred Klosterman surrendered yesterday, according to police, after a defendant in police court testified that he was employed at an alleged numbers bank operated by Fred Klosterman. Zeitz swore to a warrant for Fred Klosterman's arrest based on the police information, he said.

Hearing Tomorrow

Smith, who was arrested by George Clayton, a policeman, will =be given a hearing in police court tomorrow as an alleged numbers writer.

Meanwhile no disposition was made in the case of Mrs. Mollie Schwartz, 42, who was arrested yesterday on a charge of operating a still at a double dwelling at 3404 Rosedale Avenue. Police Lieutenant John Potter said the woman admitted operating the still.

A man said to be a brother of Mrs. Schwartz fled in  his undershirt at the time of the raid, as Sergeant Edward Hahn and Policeman Joseph Keefe were making the arrest and seizure. The seizure included 13 barrels of alleged mash, a stove, one cooler, three gallons of liquor, and a 75 gallon still. Police reported that one of two cars without license tags which had been parked in front of the house disappeared later.

Cops to Aid State

Strict cooperation with the State Alcoholic beverages Commission in the detection, closing up, and prosecution of speakeasies is being given by the Camden Police Department.

That statement was made today by Mayor Roy R. Stewart, who is the director of the department of public safety, and came as a result of an interview which Howard B. Dyer, an investigator with the state beverage commission had with the mayor. Dyer was formerly deputy city clerk.

"Dyer came in and asked for the cooperation of the police department," said Mayor Stewart, "and I told him we would cooperate fully".

The state alcoholic beverage commission, through its investigators, has been busy in running down speakeasies, stills and other illicit liquor practices.

Where Police Seized Still, After Year's Operation

This double dwelling, at 3404 Rosedale Avenue, was the scene of a still seizure early yesterday, after it had been operating for one year, according to a neighbor. The occupant, Mrs. Mollie Schwartz, 48, was arrested and admitted she operated the plant, according to Acting Lieutenant of Police John Potter. A man said to be a brother of the woman fled in his undershirt, while Sergeant Edward Hahn, recently transferred to Third District duty from the traffic division, and Patrolman Joseph Keefe were making the arrest and seizure. Eleven barrels of mash, a stove, one cooler and three gallons of liquor were seized with the 25-gallon still in the house, police reported. One of two cards without license tags, which were parked in front of the house when raided, disappeared later.

Camden Courier-Post * September 14, 1934

Mickey Blair - William T. Feitz
Roy R. Stewart - Emma Heisler
George Ward - Arthur Colsey
Edward V. Martino - Samuel P. Orlando
Fred Klosterman - J. Harry Switzer
Joseph Klosterman - George Clayton
John Geronio -
Crawford Smith
Cooper Street -
Carman Street
Mollie Schwartz - Rosedale Avenue
John Potter - Howard B. Dyer
Glenn Brown -
Mt. Vernon Street
Walter Welch

Camden Courier-Post * September 15, 1934

Mickey Blair - William T. Feitz - Roy R. Stewart - Frank T. Lloyd - George Ward - Arthur Colsey
Edward V. Martino - Samuel P. Orlando - Fred Klosterman - Joseph Klosterman - J. Harry Switzer
Lawrence T. Doran - George Frost - Benjamin Simon
Vernon Jones - Stanley Wirtz
Nathan U. Katz - Kaighn AvenueGeorge Clayton - John Geronio -
Crawford Smith
Cooper Street -
Carman Street

Camden Courier-Post
Evening Courier - September 19, 1934


Camden Courier-Post * January 4, 1935

Fred Klosterman - Joseph Klosterman - Dominick Mozzare - Highland Avenue - Louis Schmidt
Paul Edwards - Elwood Humphreys - Horace Gunby -
South 10th Street - John Garrity - Earl Cunningham
Frank F. Neutze - Garfield S. Pancoast - Rocco Palese - Samuel P. Orlando - Joseph A. Varbalow
Andrew Pointkowski -  Frank Martz - Erie Street - South 9th Street - Crawford Smith - Carman Street
Charles Simonin -
Fairview Street - John Studinger - Federal Street - Samuel Ford
Frank Terionova -
Beckett Street - Mary Angelo - Pine Street - Thomas Kirk - Carpenter Street
Walter Hart -
Thurman Street

Camden Courier-Post
January 19, 1935

Frank Tyson
Crawford Smith -
Carman Street
Thomas Kirk -
Carpenter Street
Fred Klosterman - Joseph Klosterman
Frank F. Neutze
Joseph W. Cowgill


Camden Courier-Post * January 21, 1935


Crawford Smith - Carman Street - Thomas Kirk - Carpenter Street - Fred Klosterman - Joseph Klosterman
Joseph Woodridge - Andrew Pointkowski -  South 9th Street - Walter Hart -
Thurman Street 
Isaac W. Eason - Patrick H. Harding - Frank F. Neutze -
Samuel P. Orlando

Camden Courier-Post * January 22, 1935






Frank T. Lloyd - Isaac W. Eason - Patrick H. Harding - Frank F. Neutze - Samuel P. Orlando
Lawrence T. Doran - James J. Mulligan - James Wren - Joseph Bennie - Casimir Wojtkowiak
Elmer Mathis - Daisy Rourke - Ethel Michener -
Fred Klosterman - Joseph Klosterman
Crawford Smith -
Carman Street - Thomas Kirk - Carpenter Street - Joseph Woodridge
Andrew Pointkowski -  South 9th Street - Walter Hart -
Thurman Street
Arthur Colsey - Walter Smith - Howard Smith - Dr. Edward B. Rogers
Frank Kulczynski -
Orchard Street - Albert Young  - North 2nd Street

Camden Courier-Post * March 20, 1935

Fred Klosterman
Joseph Klosterman
Samuel P. Orlando
John Frenia
Mt. Ephraim Avenue
Young Republicans Seventh Ward Club
Pauline Frenia

Left: Joseph Klosterman
Right: Fred Klosterman

Chester Topolski
Dayton Street
Albert Magee
John Szalanski
Chestnut Street
Crawford Smith
Carman Street
Thomas Kirk
Carpenter Street
Joseph Woodridge
Andrew Pointkowski
South 9th Street
Walter Hart
Thurman Street

Chez La Joy
Mechanic Street
Leon Dabrowski
Carl Kisselman
Chester "Gassy" Szalanski - Lawrence T. Doran

Camden Courier-Post - August 5, 1935

Pair Suspected by Police as Having Succeeded Klosterman Brothers

Two men alleged by city and county authorities to have succeeded the Klosterman brother sin controlling the Camden numbers racket last Spring, were exonerated by the Camden county grand jury.

Those whose cases were “no billed” are Chester “Gassy” Szalinski, 30, of 1188 Chestnut Street, and Joseph Putek, 29, of 2955 Tuckahoe Road.

At the same time, the grand jury in its report to the County Clerk Charles S. Wise, failed to find an indictment against Robert Bloodworth, another suspect arrested in connection with the operation of lotteries in Camden.

After the trial of the Klosterman brothers, Fred and Joe, both of whom were convicted last spring of number charges, Szalinski was named by Police Chief Arthur Colsey as the “Sixty-ninth Street mobster who had taken over the Klosterman numbers play.” Every policeman in Camden was ordered to arrest Szalinski on sight.

The suspected numbers operator was arrested and later released in $1500 bail to await the action of the grand jury.

Putek was arrested last April after police had engaged in a sensational chase of 15 blocks after a suspected numbers pickup automobile at which they fired a number of shots, pone of which struck a bystander.

Police allege Putek joined Szalinski in control of the Klosterman numbers game. Arrests of both men climaxed orders to county police authorities by Supreme Court Justice Frank T. Lloyd and Prosecutor Samuel P. Orlando to clean up the number racket in this area.

“No bills” were returned by the grand jury for Harry Hartman and John Burke charged with attempts and breaking and entry; J.G. Flynn, accused of being a fugitive from justice from Philadelphia; Ralph Latshaw, Anna Green, and Theodore Jones, statutory charges.

Hartman and Burke were held for the grand jury last month on charges they attempted to enter the saloon of Mrs. Mamie Piraine, Republican county committeewoman from the Eighth Ward, at 1944 Broadway.

Camden Courier-Post - August 15, 1935


Camden Courier-Post - January 8, 1940


Camden Courier-Post - January 10, 1940

Westmont Victim Reported to Have Been Aide of Klosterman

A reputed employee of Fred Klosterman, Camden numbers baron, was shot and killed in Philadelphia last night in what police there believed was an inter-city fight for control of the numbers racket.

The dead man was Joseph Colozzi, 49, of Westmont, known in the underworld and police circles as a “cheap thief”.

While Captain John Murphy, of the Philadelphia vice squad, expressed belief the slaying of Colozzi and shooting last Sunday of Klosterman were related.  County Detective Chief Lawrence T. Doran was working on another angle.

Colozzi’s Home

Doran said Colozzi had been closely associated during the last 10 days with John Lenkowski, 22, a fugitive wanted here in connection with the murder of Andrew Scarduzio.

“Both of them were convicted of similar offences- thievery, and they apparently were hooked up together lately. I could not say whether either of them ever was In the numbers racket."

Philadelphia police, however, seemed certain Colozzi was shot as a result of a new “numbers war”. They said they had Information that the dead man apparently was in the employ of a Camden numbers bank.

Credence was given the report that local numbers barons are attempting to “muscle in” on the “Philadelphia play” when Irving Bickel, 34, who admits being friendly with Klosterman was arrested yesterday.

New Setup Alleged

Bickel, Murphy said, declared he had been contacting numbers writers in Philadelphia to inform them of a “new setup” and invite them to join.

Detective Sergeant Benjamin Simon and Detective Edwin Mills questioned Bickel in Philadelphia yesterday and said he admitted “knowing Klosterman” but denied he worked for him.

Simon and Mills were in Philadelphia again today working on the Colozzi shooting to ascertain whether there was any connection between the slaying and shooting of Klosterman on Sunday. Simon said he would investigate to learn if the slain man ever had been in the employ of Klosterman.

A theory advanced yesterday by police that Klosterman had been shot by killers hired by Atlantic City gamblers brought on an expression of surprise from shore police.

Detective Captain Frank Feretti said he did not know of any gambling house near the Union Station in which Klosterman may have been interested. He said no request had “been made by Camden police for an inquiry at the resort.”

Colozzi was murdered at Eleventh and Carpenter Streets, South Philadelphia, last night. The top of his head was blasted by shotgun slugs to end1a career in crime that extended over 30 year, with at least 30 arrests.

Colozzi's body was found lying across the trolley tracks in a darkened section near the Bartlett Junior High School.

Police of the Seventh and Carpenter streets station a few minutes before received an anonymous telephone call that "there's been a shooting at Eleventh and Catherine.” The caller hung up.

No One Sees Shooting

Homicide squad detectives under Acting Captain William C. Bugle rounded up a number of persons in the neighborhood but could locate no one who admitted he saw the shooting. That was what the police expected, for the section has been the scene of unsolved gang killings in the past.

Captain Engle admitted the possibility that Colozzi, may have been allied in some way with Jersey gamblers attempting to poach on Philadelphia territory,  and had met sudden death for that reason.

Though Captain Engle described the murdered man as a “cheap thief" he wouldn't deny the possible link to the threatened outbreak in a numbers war between rival operators as evidenced by the Klosterman shooting.

“I won't say there’s a tie up, and I won't say there's not” said Engle. “We can't tell, right now”.

Syndicate Under Way’

But the story told Captain Murphy, head of Philadelphia's vice squad, by a Camden man known to be a pal of Klosterman, put further credence in the rumored attempts at revision along the numbers front

The man Is Bickel of a hotel at Delaware Avenue and Market street, who yesterday was held in $1000 bail for a hearing next Tuesday by Magistrate Thomas Connor in Philadelphia’s central police court on suspicion of being connected with the numbers racket. He was picked up in Germantown.

Captain Murphy said Bickel admitted to him he was contacting various numbers writers for the purpose of having them pool their resources.

"He admitted verbally he had the names of several Philadelphia writers and that he was trying to line up the boys,” Murphy said. “He is trying to coerce them with a new numbers set-up. That will cause a revival of gang warfare”.

Although the murdered man was never known to have had theatrical connections police said he often boasted he was an entertainer in a New York cabaret. 

Brother of Philadelphia Cop

The body of Colozzi, brother of a Philadelphia policeman, was identified by the officers wife at the Pennsylvania Hospital, Eighth and Spruce Streets. Five bullets had penetrated his skull.

Police said Colozzi lived at 113 Westmont Avenue, Westmont, since his last release from prison, some time during September 1939.

He lived with his wife Rose and most of their eight children.

In Colozzi’s pocket, when a police ambulance arrived at the scene, was a card bearing his name and the Westmont address.

He was one of two brothers of John Colozzi, whose police record was said to be longer even than Joe’s, and is being sought.

Police of Haddon Township said Colozzi was known to them only as an "innocent” junk dealer, who plied his trade picking up old car parts in and around the section/

Colozzi's last brush with the law according to the Philadelphia police records, was last Spring when he was implicated in a dress robbery. He was freed in September after serving part of his sentence.

Meanwhile Camden city and county detectives continued their investigations into the pump gun shooting of Klosterman, who remained in critical condition at West Jersey Hospital.

Klosterman was shot down in front of his saloon at Mount Ephraim Avenue and Mechanic Street at 10:00 PM Sunday as he went to the street to drive his car to a garage. The would-be killer sped away. 

Seldom In Jail Long

Colozzi had run afoul of the law since early school days, but he often boasted that “with all the friends I got, I can't stay in jail long." He invariably managed to regain freedom, only to renew his jostles with police.

The stiffest sentence he ever got was on December 13, 1934 when Judge Frank F. Neutze sent him and an accomplice to state prison for robbing a coat factory at 7 South 3rd Street four months before.

          In passing sentence on the much arrested “Manayunk Joe”, Judge Neutze put aside pleas the prisoner was the father of eight children and sent him “up the river” for a term ox six to seven years.

          "You're a typical criminal and a menace to the public" Judge Neutze said in a searing rebuke. "A light sentence won't do you any good. Your record is one of the longest shown to me since l have been on the bench. You represent a type that is better off behind bars, for outside of prison you are a menace to the public. I’ll go the limit with you” 

Obtained Police Badge

But Colozzi merely nodded, apparently thinking of which “friend” he would call on this time to get him out.

Previously Joe had established a second-hand tire shop on the White Horse Pike at Lindenwold and escaped serious penalty as police held a continuous club over his head for suspected escapades.

On one occasion he diverted his talents to another “profession”- extortion. By some means he obtained a police badge in Clementon township. A few months later he and several other members of the police department were rounded up for wholesale extortion of money from motorists and truck drivers

Those were the day of Prohibition, and the White Horse Pike was a frequently used. Highway for passage of beer trucks between Philadelphia and Camden and Atlantic City and other sea shore points.

The extortion continued among other motorists most of them guilty of petty violations. There were times when Colozzi took “anything they had”, police said. 

35-Year Police Record

Colozzi’s police record dates back to1904, when as a a child of 12 he was committed to the Glen Mills, Pa. Home for Boys for petty larceny.  He served 19 months.

In 1909 he was given a two-month sentence In the Montgomery county .jail at Norristown PA, after another conviction for larcerny.

Then: followed a series of brushes with the law, with Colozzi landing behind bars a dozen times, but invariably obtaining freedom before the expiration of his term.

The record continues: 1914, committed to Philadelphia County Prison, larceny, three months;

In 1915, for receiving stolen goods, Eastern Penitentiary, four years and six months;

In 1919, at Newark, larceny, sentenced to two to seven months and pardoned in December, 1920.

A 10-year stretch followed during which his name failed to appear on police records. 

Acquitted of Charge

 In 1929, State Police of the Hammonton barracks arrested him for extortion, but he was acquitted in Camden County Criminal Court May 90, 1930.

In 1930 he was arrested in Trenton for breaking and entering and sentenced to a year and six months in Mercer County jail.

In 1933 he was taken in custody by the U.S. Marshal at Trenton. No disposition of the case is listed.

Later in 1933. he was arrested for Larceny in Philadelphia, and no record is known further of the case.

Later the same year Camden police arrested him for attempted larceny. No disposition.

In October 1933, he was jailed  by U. S. Marshals for violation of the Dyer Act, interstate transportation of a stolen auto, but was placed on five years’ probation.

In July. 1934 he was arrested in Camden for breaking and entering and in December of the same year was sentenced to six to seven years in State Prison.

The last time he appeared in local police records was less than a year ago, when he was arrested on a detainer for violation of federal parole and sent to Mercer County jail. A few days later he was freed.


Camden Courier-Post - Morning Post
January 9, 1940

Trenton Evening Times * May 20, 1959
Asa Bushnell III - David D. Furman - Alfred Pierce - Joseph Klosterman - Julius Sklar 
Raymond Brown - William Greenly - Fithian Hill - John Leo - Dominick Padulla
Joseph Pitzo - Charles Darpino