JOHN W. GOLDEN was born in New Jersey on January 29, 1884 to Richard and Annie Golden. The 1900 Census shows the family at 313 Bridge Avenue. Richard Golden was then a Camden police officer

The family lived at 8 Hudson Street as early as 1906. John W. Golden was then working as a machinist. By 1910 John W. Golden and his neighbor, Edward S, King Jr., who lived at 18 Hudson Street, had both been appointed to the Camden Camden Police Department.

John Golden got caught up in the prosecutions that took place after the 1910 election in Camden. Along with Daniel Woods and Martin Carrigan, he served a four month sentence in the Camden County jail, then returned to his job with the police department.

By the end of 1910 John W. Golden had been promoted to Sergeant and by September of 1918 he had been made a captain. He was still living with his parents at 8 Hudson Street when the census was taken in January of 1920. 

He married at the age of 37 and by 1922 was living with his wife Huldah at 123 North 28th Street in East Camden. Another Camden policeman, William Hurlock, lived a few doors away at 2717 Cramer Street. The Hurlocks wer still in their home into the 1970s, and the Goldens were still on North 28th Street in 1982. A son, John W. Golden Jr. and a daughter, Huldah Golden wee born in the mid 1920s. When the 1930 Census was taken, another Camden detective William Hurlock, lived a few doors away at 2717 Cramer Street.

John W. Golden had been named Captain of Detectives on October 18, 1927, the day after Captain William Schregler suddenly died of a heart attack. John W. Golden succeeded Chief Lewis H. Stehr Jr. as Camden's Chief of Police, and was succeeded in that post after his retirement in June of 1934 by Arthur Colsey

John W. Golden passed away after an illness of three years on December 25, 1952. The John Golden family was still listed at 123 North 28th Street in the 1980 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory. Mrs. Golden passed away in November of 1980. 

Philadelphia Inquirer - January 24, 1911
Charles G. Garrison - Frank Ford Patterson Jr. - Charles Van Dyke Joline
Lawrence Doran
- Samuel Flick - Isaac Shreve - Francis J. McAdams
James Smith - Thomas Noland - A. Lincoln James - John Broome
Albert Shaw - James Lewis - John Golden - William C. Parker - Daniel Woods
John H. Carroll
- Harris D. Stow - Henry S.Scovel
- Martin Carrigan
Aerie No. 5, Fraternal Order of Eagles 

Philadelphia Inquirer
June 1, 1911

Charles Van Dyke Joline
Albert S. Woodruff
Robert McCarter
Harry Kramer
John Golden
Martin Carrigan
Daniel J. Woods
Charles D. Crane

Click on Image to Enlarge

Philadelphia Inquirer - December 14, 1915
Robert Stratton - George R. Thompson - Harry Newton - Robert Abbott
North 26th Street - Sherman Avenue - North 23rd Street - J. Oscar Weaver
Westfield Avenue - North 30th Street - John W. Golden - Carman Street

Philadelphia Inquirer - January 1, 1918

Albert L. Cornog - Charles Ellis - John Golden
Hugh Boyle - Howard Smith - James Clay - Charles Laib
Jefferson Kay - Edmund Pike - Robert Abbott
George M. Beringer - Meyers Baker

Camden Post-Telegram
March 1, 1918

Hugh Boyle
John W. Golden

Philadelphia Inquirer * November 26, 1922

E.G.C. Bleakly
John Golden
William E. Albert
John Painter
Charles Fitzsimmons 
Thomas Brothers
Edwin Thomas
Richard Golden
William Lyons
Milton Stanley - Howard Smith
Charles A. Wolverton
James E. Tatem
Edward Hyde

This story erred in reporting, as retirement at age 65 was NOT mandatory at the time. William E. Albert, Richard Golden, Frank Matlack, and Edwin Thomas did retire. John Golden, John Painter, Charles Fitzsimmons, Thomas Brothes, and William Lyons continued to work in the Police Department. John Golden was eventually promoted to Chief of Police.

Camden Courier * April 10, 1925

Text transcribed
Phillip Cohen

April 2003

Click on Image to Enlarge


Police investigating the "voodoo den" of H.H. Hyghcock, 413-15 Liberty Street, whose arrest on suspicion of murder made several important discoveries today.

They are:

    1-  The finding of a bloodstained hatchet buried under the floor of one of the underground rooms.

222-  Discovery of a hidden vault, the entrance freshly cemented and covered with wall-papered boards

    3-  Discovery of what is believed to be a well under the "sacrifice room". When the police tore off     the lid of the well today, they were driven from the underground passage by the odor that emanated from the large hole.

  4-   A blood-stained mattress cover, hidden in a second story rear room, was found.

  5-   Police digging in the underground den this afternoon unearthed the skeleton of a baby, the fourth infant's body found in the "voodoo den".

  6-   Lastly, police say Hyghcock is the biggest liar they have ever seen.

When informed of the finding of the supposed vault Director Tempest  instructed Captain Gordon to "tear it out if you have to tear down the house".

The police questioned the "voodoo medicine man" for an hour this morning during which he admitted he is a bigamist. He confessed that he had five wives and is the father of 37 children.

Hyghcock Questioned For Hour

After spending the night in a prison cell, Hyghcock was taken before Deputy Director Tempest . In the room at the same time was Chief Tatem, Captains Colsey, Golden, Humes, and Sieh.

Hyghcock was visibly serious as he sat in a chair facing the police officials. He clasped and unclasped his hands and stroked his goatee as his eyes shifted around the room.

Director Tempest started the first shot of a barrage of questions that swept over the voodoo man before he was allowed to leave the room.

For nearly an hour the medicine man matched his wits with those of the police. Several times he seemed about to crack and reveal something startling but caught himself just as he was to fall into a trap.

 As each questioned was asked him Hyghcock repeated it slowly and after thinking a few seconds made answer.

"Hyghcock" Director Tempest  began, "how many children have you?"

"Newspaper reporters printed stories that I have thirty-two children" the prisoner answered. "That is all wrong. I have thirty-seven children."

Five Wives, Says Hyghcock

"How many wives have you had?"

"Five" he answered.

"All living?"

"Two are living."

"Are you a bigamist?"

"Yes, I guess you would call me that. I don't know where my fourth wife is now."

"How long have you been married to this wife?"

"Thirty-two years"

"All your children living?"

"All but two."

"Where are the other thirty five?"

"Scattered all over."

"How many women have you killed in your time?"

During the questioning of his married life Hyghcock smiled continuously as he answered the questions.

The last question had the effect of an electric shock upon the prisoner.

"Come on, come on," Director Tempest said. "How many women have you killed?" This was one question that Hyghcock did not repeat.

Says He Bought Dead Bodies

"I never killed any women" he answered as he looked at the faces of those gathered around him.

"How many operations have you performed in that den of yours?"

I didn't perform any operations"

"How do you account for the finding of those bodies of these infants in the cellar?"

"I bought those babies from Dr. White on South Street in Philadelphia."

"You are lying, aren't you?"

"No sir" Hyghcock said, as he toyed with his hat.

"Tell the truth now. How many women died in that house of yours?"

"Who said I killed anybody?"

"We have the goods on you, so you might as well come clean. Your daughter has told us she saw you kill that light skinned colored woman when your wife was away. What did you kill that woman for?"

"My daughter say that? She must be wrong."

"Why should your daughter say you killed a woman if you did not? We know you shot that woman and your daughter saw you do it. Why should your daughter say such a thing if it were not true?"

Stumped by Daughter's Tale

Beads of perspiration broke out on the prisoner's face.

"I don't know" he answered.

"Didn't you take a woman's body out of that house not so long ago?"


"How many women have died in that house?"

"Only my daughter."

"Are you a physician?"

"Sorta of a physician."

"Why do you have the stethoscope in your home?"

"What kind of thing is that?"

"Are you a physician and well acquainted with surgical instruments?"

"Yes, sorta," Hyghcock said. The stress was beginning to tell on him.

"And you don't know what a stethoscope is? You are not a doctor, Hyghcock. You are a liar."

"Yes sir" he answered.

"Are you a regular minister?"

"Sorta. I'm an evangelist."


"What do you mean? I've been an evangelist since I was a child."

"Ever been arrested before?"

"Yes, in Philadelphia. Man I was with shot a woman with a baby in her arms."

"You did the shooting, didn't you?"

"No sir."

"But you shot the woman in your house on Liberty Street, didn't you?

"No sir."

Women Boarders

"How many women do you keep at your house at one time?"

"Four or Five"

"What for?"


"You are lying now, aren't you?"

"No sir."

"How many women have you killed?"


"What do you know about the bloody hatchet we found in your cellar?"

"I don't know anything about it. Where did you find it?"

"We are asking the questions, you just answer them."

"Did you ever have a hatchet?"

"Yes, I lost it six months ago."

"How did the blood get on it?"

"I don't know."

"Why did you cement that vault?"

"What vault?"

"The vault in your cellar that you just cemented a short time ago. You might as well come clean and tell us about what is hidden behind that cement wall because we are going to find it out."

Hyghcock shifted in his chair and the perspiration flowed in a stream from his forehead. He bit his lips.

"There is nothing much there" he said after thinking for fully a minute.

Walls Against Water

"What did you build it for?"

"To keep the water out."

"Why didn't you cement up the rest of the cellar?"

"I don't know."

"You know that we know you are lying, don't you?"

Hyghcock did not answer that question.

"Why did you dig out all those rooms in the cellar?"

"For church services."

"Did you use about 65 small rooms underground for church services?"


TEXT illegible

TEXT illegible

 TEXT illegible

TEXT illegible

"In the room way back under the yard. That was he main church?"

"How can you take nine people and put them in 35 rooms?"

"I don't know"

"The why did you have so many rooms?"

"The people wanted them".

"What people?"

"My congregation."

"Are you a regular minister?"

"Mr. Johnson in Newport News told me I could be a minister."

"What was that room where the crow was swinging on the board supposed to be?"

Noah's Ark Room

"That was the Noah's ark room. The bird was on the ark."

"What was the idea of having ropes to make the stuffed bird flap his wings?"

"That was part of the church service."

"How many women are you in love with?"

"I don't know. A lot are in love with me."

"Hyghcock, you have been performing illegal operations in that house of yours, and we have more than 100 letters from women that were sent to you. Those letters contain evidence that will be used against you. What have you to say about them? You read the letters, because they were open when we found them."

"Just what particular letters are you talking about?"

Director Tempest then went through some letters and mentioned the names and addresses of the senders. Many of them were from white women. To each letter called to his attention Hyghcock said:

"I just can't recall reading that letter."

"How about this letter from Ann Miller of Philadelphia telling you that she was thorough with you because you killed the man next door?"

"I don't remember seeing that letter."

"You are lying Hyghcock, and you had better come clean and tell the truth."

"Women Stuck on me"

Then letters containing endearing terms were read to him. Asked what he had to say about them, he answered:

"They are some of the women who are stuck on me."

"How many women are stuck on you? Are there as many as 100?"

"I don't think there are that many. I know women all over the country and they write to me."

What do women all over the country write to you for?"

"I guess they like me."

"I guess they do", Director Tempest said as he gazed at the prisoner, who averted his glances."

"Ever perform any operations on any of these women?"

"No sir"

"Then what do they write to you about?"

"I don't know."

"What is in that well under the board in the cellar?"

"What well?"

"Did you throw any bodies down there?"

"No sir, I ain't hid no bodies."

"Where did you bury the women who died in your house?"

"Nobody died there."

"Why did you go out late at night in your automobile with a shovel?"

"Who said so?"

"You did, didn't you?"

"I can't recall."

Says He Took Women Into Tunnels

"Just think for a minute"

"Nope, I can't recall."

"Did you take women into those underground rooms"

"Yes, I took them down to church services."

"Didn't take any men down there, did you?"

"No sir."

"How did you come to dig all those rooms?"

"I was looking for money."

"What do you mean?"

"When I first moved into the house I dug in the cellar one day and found $25.00"

"What has that got to do with the rooms?"

"Well, I kept on digging and found $300.00 more."

"Yes, go on".

"Go on where?"

"What gave you the idea for all of the rooms?"

"Well, when I moved into the house there were rooms directly under the XXXXX and I dug XXXX the back yard XXXXX XXXX XXXXXXXX."

"For how long have you been live there?"

"Eight or ten years"

"Who dug that cellar with you?"

"A man by the name of ______ (Name withheld at the request of the police)."

"What did he do?"

Becomes Badly Mixed

"He helped me to make the room- the chapel."

"Did he help you get rid of the bodies?"

"No sir."

"Who did help you get rid of them?"


"Did it all yourself?"

"Did I do it all myself- yes, sir- no, sir."

"Well, what do you mean?"

"I mean I didn't do anything. I hid no bodies."

"What did you bury the hatchet for?"

"I didn't bury any hatchet"

"How did it happen the hatchet was covered with blood?"

"I don't know."

"What did you have those shovels and picks down in the cellar for?"

"To dig with."

"Dig what?"

"What is is this religious college you have up by Willow Grove?"

"Who told you about that?"

"You tell me about it now."

"I started a church up there."

"You built shacks and rented them to colored people for $30.00 a month and then charged them $10.00 a month extra. What was the extra $10.00 for?"

"It was for the Lord."

"What do you mean Lord Hyghcock?"

"No for the church."

Sold Willow Grove Settlement

"Do you still have the church settlement?"

 "No, I sold it."

"Sold the church too?"


"Why did you tell your wife you would kill her if she went into the cellar of the house where all those rooms were?"

"Who said so"

"You did, didn't you?"

"I can't recall."

"When you would have a crowd of women in the rooms you would send our wife away, wouldn't you?"

"Not exactly."

"Speaking of illegal operations, do you know Miss....."

"Who ain't one of the women I operated on."

"Who are some of these women, then?"

"I ain't operated on any women?"

 "Did you tell women to keep away from you?"


"Tell us about how you shot that woman and buried her body?"

"I ain't shot nobody"

"How did you kill her, with that hatchet?"

"No sir."

"Come on, tell us how you killed her?"

"I didn't kill any women."

"The woman just died in the house, oh?"

"No sir."

"How about the man who lived next door whom you said you killed?"

"I didn't kill anybody."

When Tempest  finished, each of the police captains fired a barrage of questions at Hyghcock."

Several times under severe questioning by Captain Golden, Hyghcock became confused and gave evasive answers.

Turning to Captain Schregler, Director Tempest said:

"He's a liar, take him upstairs."

Mrs. Hyghcock Quizzed

Hyghcock was then taken up to the bureau for further questioning by detectives. His wife was quizzed in an adjoining room and when she was taken back to her cell, their seven year-old daughter, who told the police her father killed a woman in the house when she was questioned again repeated her version of the killing.

During the questioning of Hyghcock in the Detective Bureau, Commissioner Middleton came into the room. He sat with the detectives as they questioned the 71 year-old medicine man.

Where the Ropes Came From

A Broadway hardware merchant called at police headquarters today and told the police that he had been selling rope to Hyghcock for the past two years.

"He would come into the store and buy the rope in six foot lengths. He would also buy barn lanterns by the dozen. I often wondered what he intended to use them for but I never asked him."

The ceiling of the underground den was a cobweb of ropes, which operated through pulling and rang bells, opened doors, and made the raven in "Noah's Ark" flap his wings.

That Hyghcock contemplated more cement work, when discovered yesterday when the police found a load of sand in the front part of the cellar. In the afternoon a truck with fifteen bags of cement came to the Hyghcock house.

The driver, seeing the crowd, drove away, taking the cement with him.

Director Tempest sent a detail of police and firemen to destroy the maze of underground tunnels and "torture chambers" under the "voodoo" houses. The entire cellar of the two houses will be dug up to a depth of six feet in an effort to learn if any human bodies are buried there.

The 'voodoo palace" was raided early yesterday morning by a detail of police who arrested "Dr." H.H. Hyghcock, a 71 year-old "medicine man". When the police searched the house yesterday they discovered the bodies of two small infants hidden in one of the underground rooms.

County detectives who went on the case yesterday and city police are endeavoring to learn if any women were murdered in the house. The decision to tear out the thirty-five underground rooms came at a conference at police headquarters last night between Prosecutor Wescott, City Prosecutor Bernard Bertman, Director Tempest, and Chief Tatem.

Each of the officials declared that he believed a digging up of the cellar would reveal the finding of human bodies.

Will Do It Monday

  'I am going to order a detail of firemen and policemen to the cellar of the two houses" Director Tempest said, "with instructions to tear out every one of those rooms in the cellar. After the cellar is cleared the policemen and firemen will dig up every foot of the cellar. I have some information which I cannot divulge that leads one to believe that our search will not be unsuccessful. It is not probable, however that the work of clearing up that underground "hotel" will be started before Monday."

"In my police experience I have never seen anything that compares with that underground voodoo den."

Hyghcock as questioned for several hours last night by detectives. He refused to make any statements, even when he was shown incriminating letters that were found in his home. The police seized more than 100  of the letters which were mailed from every state in the Union. Many will be used against the "physician" when he is placed on trial as they reveal he practiced medicine without a license.

The police place great stress upon the statement of Hyghcock's seven year-old daughter who told them that her father killed a woman in the house a week ago and buried her body. The child is being held in custody as a material witness as is the wife of the "medicine man".

Last night more than 5,0000 morbid curious people gathered at the Hyghcock house and stormed the doors seeking admittance to the underground passages. A detail o police inside the house fought back the crowd. A riot call was sounded at 9:00 o'clock and two details of police were rushed to the scene. The crowd was driven back and the street roped off. During the excitement the front door was smashed in by the crowd.

Today detectives are reading the large bale of letters found in the house. They also seized the prisoner's set of books, which show he received large sums of money from superstitious persons for "love and enemy" charms. The books contain the names and addresses of more than 1,000 of Hyghcock's customers.

Police said that although Hyghcock has only been a resident of this city for three years, he has amassed a small fortune and owns considerable property here and in Pennsylvania. They said that several years ago Hyghcock built a small chapel near Willow Grove. Around this chapel he erected 20 small frame houses. he rented them to colored folks who joined his religious sect and in addition to the rent paid him an assessment of $10 a month which he said he turned over to the Lord.

Three Years of Work

When Hyghcock was taken from his cell in police headquarters last night to be questioned he smiled as the cell doors clanged open. He was taken to detective headquarters and questioned, but refused to make any statement. he will be questioned again today.

The police said he must have spent nearly three years building the underground "chamber of horrors" So quietly did he work that none of his neighbors knew the spooky subway rooms existed. Most of the excavating was done between midnight and 3 o'clock in the morning. 

Entering the house at 413 Liberty Street, a visitor sees a small counter and a candy show case. Arrayed  on shelves behind the counter are bottles of pop and packages of cigarettes. Three feet away from the counter toward the kitchen is a door leading into a hallway three feet square. A winding flight of steps lead to the upper floors and a door in the hallway opens opens on to a narrow winding stairway into the cellar.

Secret Winding Passages

Once in the cellar the visitor finds himself in a small alley running toward the front of the house. In this alley are shelves filled with roots and herbs. The aisle turns at right angles to the right and one sees a large door upon which is printed "Noxvill". A heavy spring slams the door to. The visitor is then in complete darkness. In front of him is a winding, twisting passageway, barley three feet wide, Directly over his head are ropes running along the ceiling which control the opening and closing of doors and the ringing of bells. 

To the right is a dark room. The rays of a flashlight thrown into the room reveals a stuffed bird resting on a swinging shelf. A pull on one of the many ropes causes the crow to flap his wings. Just ahead in the passageway, and to the right and left are three doors. Sleigh bells are fastened to each of the doors. The door to the right leads to a tunnel connecting with the house at 415 Liberty Street, next door. The other doors lead into other rooms and n the rooms are other doors leading into still other rooms.

Rooms Poorly Furnished

And so on down the entire length of the cellar.

In the rooms which are not more than four feet square there is very little furniture. The walls and partitions are made of packing box lumber covered with various pieces of wall paper, one shade bordering on the other. In each "den" a kerosene lantern, or lamp hung on  ah hook. The air is stifling.

In the room known to the police as the "Graveyard" are three lanterns and several spades and picks lying on the dirt floor. The soil shows that it has recently been dug up.

Still following the dark passages the visitor find himself confronted with a door, with a glass panel in the bottom. A heavy spring makes the door hard to open, but a pull on one of the many strands of rope running along the ceiling and the door swings slowly open without the least effort. it is controlled in some mysterious manner by weights.

Hyghcock has undermined his entire back yard. Back under the yard runs the passageway with the dens turning off to the right or left. In one of the underground rooms a large clock instead of being placed high on the wall is fastened down near the ground. The clock was functioning yesterday but was four hours fast.

Tunnels Become Confusing

Now the passageways gets narrower and darker and the odor is sickening. Towards the extreme rear of the room is the "Sacrifice Chapel". This contains a baptismal bath, a large Bible, a XXXXX and a carriage wheel with various colored spokes. The wheel spins from an iron peg driven into the wall. Everywhere is seen patchwork carpenter work. A birds-eye view of the underground rooms reminds one of the futurist, or cubist, paintings. In one of the rooms the floors are covered with freshly laid cement. The police will endeavor to find if anything is buried underneath the flooring.

Just ahead is daylight. One finds a small hole in the roof where a chimney or a uphill coal stove extrudes into the yard. This follows another maze of doors. In several parts of the tunnel thick doors can be opened at the same time to form a triangle. Not twenty more feet down his dark passageway and a ladder leading upward is seen.  It is a hastily constructed affair and the top rungs are covered with grips made of automobile tires.

A walk through the upper story of the two houses show that bedrooms have been partitioned off to make three rooms.

He Doted Bells

Overhead is the network of ropes operating on pulleys the XXXXX XX XXXX XXXX. In the underground rooms and tunnels, XXXX XXXXX and a door XXXX XXXX. XXXX XXXX will open or a bell will ring. Hyghcock just doted on bells. The largest bell is fastened to a door on the third floor. This one can be sounded from the rear room in the tunnel by means of the rope. Bells are everywhere. They range from baby bell rattles to large cow bells.

The rooms on the upper floors each contain beds. Yesterday they were in disorder. The bed clothing was scattered on the floor and the floors were strewn with papers, letters, books, and clothing. In a closet in a third story room was found two new dolls in a basin, glassware, phonograph records- everything imaginable. The rooms resembled "junk shops".

Yesterday the police spent most of their time searching for bloodstains on the floors and walls of the buildings. Trunks were forced open and those were found to contain soiled linens. The police questioned Hyghcock's seven year-old daughter.

"How many men did your father kill in here?" Patrolman Charley Naylor asked the girl?

Says "Pop" Killed Woman

"My Pop did not kill any men" the child answered, " but when my mother was in Washington to see my sister not long ago, a woman came to the house and started to fight with Pop. It was late at night. They fought terrible and they were in the big room in the front of the house. I saw them fighting and my Pop got a gun and shot the woman. Pop took her out in the automobile and buried her. He told me to keep quiet and said the woman was sick and died and he buried her in a cemetery.

The child was taken to police heads when she was again questioned by Director Tempest and Chief Tatem. The police tried to get her to change her story but she refused to do so and stuck to the narrative she first told in her home. Her mother was then arrested and detained as a material witness.

Persons living in the neighborhood said today that on two occasions they had seen Hyghcock place large bundles in the back of his car at night, place a shovel in the rear of the car and drive away.

The police have been unable to learn much so far about Hyghcock prior to coming to this city. They do know that he came here from Norfolk VA where he still claims to be in the undertaking business.

Strange Powders Sold

Hyghcock, the police said, manufactured powders and sold them to colored people as good luck chars. if a woman was unfriendly with another woman she went to Hyghcock  and for $12 she received a small bottle of powder. This she sprinkled in front of her enemy and from then on "everything will suffer for the enemy because she would be pursued by evil spirits and her luck would be something terrible".

If a superstitious young man who "rolled the bones" as a pastime wanted to stage a winning streak, he would visit the medicine man. For $40.00 he would give the man with the gambling instinct a blue powder that he was supposed to rub on his hands just before it was his time to "roll". Powder to keep another woman from stealing one's husband went for $30.09. Hyghcock's records show.  What the 9 cents was for is not known. IN one day, the police said, Hyghcock sold more than $190 worth of powder that originally cost about twenty cents.

The more serious charge against the prisoner is that he used the building for immoral purposes and for performing illegal operations.

Camden Post-Telegram * August 19, 1925

Charles Younger - Y.M.C.A - Lewis H. Stehr Jr.
Joseph Connell -
John W. Golden
Charles T. Humes - Archie Riess
Walter A. Mertz - Engine Company 1

Everett Joslin - Joseph McDonald - Vernon Jones
Frank Nelson - William Rogers - Harold Dunnit
John Bright -
Edwin Callahan - Walter Larson
August Pflederer - Clarence Phifer - Thomas Welch
Stanley Wirtz - Charles Naylor - George Rothwell
Richard Donnelly - Lester Gleason - Joseph Keefe

Fred Schucker - Harry Wagner - Chris Moll
Harry Layton - Edgar Ellender - August Haverkamp
Frank Kuda - Harry Kleinfelder - William Foehle
Thomas Shanahan - Harrison Pike
Lester Anderson - William Wood
George Townsend - Allen Palmer - William Swartz Nelson Till - William MountneyJohn A.Strauss
Frank Obermann - Edward Menzies
John Mulligan - Frank Kates - Clifford Lane
Nelson Andrews - Harry Leigh

John Lennox - William Merrigan
Howard Walker - Harry Greenan - Peter Laird

Smith- could be David, George, Roy, or Spencer William Rudd?

Camden Motorcycle Sporting Club
Joseph Bernart
Frank DeViney
Carl Preisendanz
Edward Paul
Charles Ellis
George Gummel
Bennett Arnold
Clayton Albertson

Camden Courier-Post
June 9, 1927

William C. Horner
Arthur Colsey
James Tatem
William Schregler
Edward Stokes King
John W. Golden


Camden Courier-Post
November 22, 1927


John Golden
William Dolan
Rox Saponare
Frank Truax
Anson Kelley
Ralph Bakley

John Potter
John Skolski
William Whaland
James Clay

Camden Courier-Post - January 2, 1928

3 Others Held by Camden Police as Leaders in Dope Peddling Gang
Tell of Making Buys With Auto Used as ‘Silent Salesman’

Captured after a lengthy investigation, Anthony ‘Babe’ Paradise, of Camden has confessed to being the head of a narcotic ring operating throughout South Jersey, it was declared yesterday by Captain John Golden, head of the city detective bureau.

Paradise also admitted that he is a drug addict, Golden said, making the fact known when he became ill in his cell at the city jail and calling for Dr. W.G. Bailey, who has been treating him for the drug habit.

With three other men, who are accused as accomplices, Paradise is being held for a preliminary hearing in Police Court tomorrow morning. The four men, Golden said, will probably be held without bail pending grand jury action and be committed to the Camden County Jail. At the jail, detainers will be lodged against the quartette by Federal narcotics agents, who co-operated with city and county authorities in the investigation, which resulted in the arrests.

Golden declared that city detectives had purchased more than $500 worth of drugs from Paradise and his agents, in obtaining evidence against the ring, which authorities said reaches into Atlantic City and other South Jersey communities as well as Camden.

The three men arrested with Paradise are James Mucci, 18 years old, of 324 Stevens Street, Rocco DeCord, 21 years old, of 221 Spruce Street, and Andrew Hill, of Locust Street, near Kaighn Avenue. According to the detectives, the base of operations of the “ring” was in the Third Ward. Mucci and DeCord were arrested in a barbershop at Third and Locust streets, three blocks from the Wiley M. E. Church where the pastor, Rev. John S. Hackett, recently exposed vice conditions existing in the Third ward and assailed the Department Public Safety for laxity. The arrest of Paradise and the others is believed to be a result of the result of the clergyman’s scathing sermons.

Paradise and Hill were arrested several hours before the other two men. Fearing that they get word to other members of the “ring” police took the two men to Merchantville police headquarters, where Assistant Prosecutor Joseph Varbalow and Chief County Detective Lawrence T. Doran were waiting. Statements were obtained from the two, and meanwhile Mucci and DeCord were taken into custody. Paradise, who is 34 years old, served a year In State Prison five years ago for selling narcotics.

Detectives George Ward, Louis Shaw, and Thomas Cheeseman, of the city, and M.H.  Shapiro and J.H. McFadden, of the federal office in Philadelphia, arranged the purchase of a ‘deck” of heroin from Paradise, and ‘caught him with the goods’  when he met them at Nineteenth Street and River Road, near his, home at 927 North Nineteenth Street.

Paradise was in his expensive automobile when arrested. It was the machine he had used to distribute narcotics to his agents and addicts during the past few years, the detectives said.

Decks  of dope which sold for $1.50 each, police said, were placed in the automobile which was driven to a certain point as prearranged, and then Paradise would leave it parked, the detcrtives said.

Peddling Scheme Bared

At a  stated hour an agent or addict would approach the machine, take the “dope” inside, and leave money as payment. Paradise would return and collect the money received, it was said.

That the ring extended to Philadelphia, New York, and other large Eastern cities was indicated by the many times the automobile was parked at Camden bridge plaza for hours, when exchanges would be made, the detectives said.  

Camden Courier-Post - January 28, 1928


He had a good job, but it didn't pay him money enough to keep up payments on a new automobile.

So he decided to steal chickens and sell them.

This was the story Harry Williams, of 604 Liberty Street, told Captain John Golden, chief of city detectives, the latter said today.

Williams was arrested two days ago and charged with the theft of thirty birds from the flock of James Kirchner, of Westmont.

Last night he was turned over to the police of Delaware Township.

Questioned by Captain Golden, Williams is alleged to have admitted robbing various other hen pens. Williams said he had been pressed hard by an automobile agent when he got behind in his payments, and he took the easiest way out, the detective head declared.

Camden Evening Courier - January 16, 1928

County Detectives Contend Philadelphia Gangster
Was Slain in Quarrel Over Woman
Deven Charged With Crime, Flannery and Taxi Driver Held Without Bail

With city and county authorities definitely divided on the motive and circumstance if the Sixth Ward Republican Club slaying, Joseph "Polack Joe" Deven was arraigned in Camden police court today and held without bail on a murder charge.

Through County Solicitor Walter Keown, retained as his attorney, Deven waived a police court hearing and was held to await grand jury action in the slaying of Joseph Cimini, Philadelphia gangster, at the political club early Saturday morning.

At the same time County Prosecutor Ethan P. Wescott announced his operatives had abandoned the theory Cimini was killed as the aftermath of an attempted hold-up, and were concentrating their investigation in the case on an effort to "find the woman'.

Statements of witnesses to the fatal shooting, the prosecutor added, made no mention of a hold-up, but contained the declaration that Cimini had been shot as a result of a feud with Charles "Chick" Hunt, former South Camden pugilist, concerning the affection of "Chick's girl". 

Police Claim Holdup

On the other hand, Captain John Golden, chief of the city detective bureau, declared he was unable to recall any mention of a girl in the statements obtained from witnesses, and added emphatically that his department still held the shooting had followed an attempted holdup of the club by Cimini and Joseph 'Mose’ Flannery.

Flannery and Hunt were both witnesses to the shooting by Deven, picturesque figure in Third Ward politics, which occurred at the Sixth Ward Club's headquarters, 908 Broadway..

After Deven had appeared in Police Court today, Flannery was arraigned as a material witness and as an accessory to the crime, with an additional charge accusing him of carrying concealed deadly weapons. Similar charges were made against Russell Sage, a taxicab driver, who arrived at the club with Flannery and Cimini early Saturday morning. These two were committed to the county jail without any bail by Judge Bernard Bertman

Hunt, however, was released under $1,000 bail as was Martin O'Brien, 27 years old, a former New Jersey State Trooper, and Harry Waterhouse, 28 years old, 1102 Marion street.

Three Others Arrested

During the day the police continued to build up their case against Flannery by arraigning him on the charges made by Milton Feinstein and Henry Mehrer. The also arrested Joseph Genther, 29 years old, 414 Atlantic Avenue; Robert Wolfe, 21 years old, 1106 Mechanic Street, and Eli Conaghy, 27 years old, 814 South 6th Street. Wolfe, who is Flannery's brother-in-law, and Genther were held "on suspicion" of having been with "Mose" at the time the latter is declared to have attacked and attempted to rob Mehrer, an Audubon policeman, outside the Ringside Inn, on the Black Horse Pike.

Conaghy, Flannery and Sage were arraigned and held without bail on charges of threatening to kill Feinstein and of carrying concealed deadly weapons. Feinstein declares these three with Cimini, the slain man, entered his cafe on January 2 and attempted to hold him up, threatening to kill him if he refused to “come across”. When he defied them by telling them to “go ahead and shoot”, Feinstein says, they departed.

Wolfe, Genther, and Conaghy were arrested by City Detectives George Ward and Thomas Cheeseman. It was Cheeseman who lodged the formal complaint of murder against Deven.

Two Others Released

Two other men who were questioned in connection with the murder case were in court this man but neither was held. They are Newton Blanchard, 923 St. John Street, a former boxing referee and alleged “stick man” at the crap game declared to have been in progress at the club before the shooting, and Michael Dandrea, 26 years old, of 1657 Norris Street. Both men had been released after questioning on Saturday. Police say they are the men who told police that trouble was imminent at the club and that “Flannery and another fellow are trying to stick up a bunch of other fellows.”

The city police hold-up theory was further attacked today by Francis J. McCarthy, a Philadelphian, who arrived before noon at the county prosecutor’s office and said he would co-operate with the authorities. He wishes to clear the dead man, he said, of the stigma of suspicion that he was slain while engaged in an attempted robbery.

Hearing in Police Court was brief. There was no testimony and Keown merely announced Deven would waive a hearing. Appearing also as attorney for Hunt, O’Brien, and Waterhouse, he said the other three men were “present at the unfortunate shooting” and thus should be held as material witnesses. He added the prosecutor’s office had permitted the release of the three under $1,000 bail each and requested Judge Bertman follow suit. The court acceded to this request but stipulated that new bail must be provided. The three men were freed shortly afterward when the bond was furnished by James Louis, 603 Kaighn Avenue, who had provided the bail yesterday in the prosecutor’s office.

Despite the declaration by two Camden district detectives who were present at the time and who said there was no evidence that gambling was in progress at the club, county detectives disclosed today that statements of the shooting contained the assertion that the men had gathered for a crap game.

These witnesses also declared the fatal shooting resulted from an argument over a woman for whose attention Cimini and Hunt were rivals.

In circles where the leading figures in the shooting move, it was freely predicted things would be fixed up for Deven and that Flannery, political worker and supposed gangster, was to be "made the goat".

Flannery is blamed by the city police for precipitating the battle. he has also been identified, according to County Detective Howard Smith, as one of the men who beat and robbed Henry Mehrer, an Audubon policeman, outside the Ringside Inn on the Black Horse Pike a fortnight ago. In addition, he is charges with attempting to hold up Milton Feinstein, cafe proprietor, 508 Kaighn Avenue. Cimini and Sage were also identified by Feinstein, according to Detective Smith.

According to the version of Cimini's death given in statements by witnesses to county detectives, "Chick" Hunt might have been the victim of the slaying had it not been for Deven's interference.

Gamble Over Affections

Like actors in a carefully-rehearsed drama, the various witnesses to the shooting made their statements nearly twelve hours after the shooting and, both city and county detectives say they agreed in all important aspects. Prosecutor Wescott declared, however, that no mention of an attempted hold-up was made despite the fact that City Detectives Clarence Arthur and Clarence Bunker- before whose eyes Cimini was shot down- stated Flannery and Cimini were holding the other men at bay when the detectives entered the room.

Instead, the statements of the witnesses described the scene as a dramatic gamble, with death as the stake, over the affections of a woman beloved by both Cimini and Hunt. This woman, who is married and estranged from her husband, is being sought today, Prosecutor Wescott said. According to detectives, Hunt was severely beaten last Wednesday night in a downtown gambling place by members of Cimini’s gang. Cimini, known also as Joseph Gannon, was a brother of William Cimini, a pugilist known in the ring as Billy Gannon.

The stories told by the witnesses place Hunt as one of the players in the crap game which was in progress at the club on Saturday morning. Deven was at the window, looking out, according to the witnesses, when he saw a taxicab draw up in front of the building. Flannery, Cimini and Sage descended and entered the club, it was declared.

“Here comes Mose, Chick, with that guy what’s gunnin’ for you” Deven is declared to have shouted.

A dozen gamesters fled from the room. “Chick” and a few of his friends held their ground and were waiting when the trio entered. Cimini, it is stated, walked over to Hunt.

“I told you,” he said with a sneer, “to stay away from that dame. She’s my girl. You were warned and sow you gotta take your medicine..”

Hunt said nothing.

Flannery drew from his pockets two automatics and flung them on the green-topped table, the stories go.

“C’mon, Chick,” he said. Don’t be yella. He toldja about the broad and he toldja what he’d do. Take your gun and shoot it out.”

“Chick” demurred.

“I don’t want none of that stuff, Mose,” he pleaded. He eyed Cimini carefully as the latter held one hand on the butt of a pistol which protruded from his belt.

Deven Interferes

Hunt made no careless movements toward the pistols on the table. Then Deven is declared to have interfered.

“None of that stuff, Mose” he said warningly. “Who’s this guy to come here making trouble? He’s no member, is he?”

Cimini moved quickly, the witnesses say. With an upward flip of his hand he brought the barrel of the automatic sharply against Deven’s chin. The latter lurched forward snatching one of the pistol from the table.

The weapon was discharged, the bullet tearing through Cimini’s heart. He died instantly.

The next moment, Arthur and Bunker, district detectives summoned by one of the players who had fled, burst through the door and lined up the men against the wall.

A short time later police arrested Blanchard and Dandrea. Blanchard, police say, was the man who gave them warning of the impending battle. Both men were released after questioning.

Released from Lakeland

The detectives found Deven cringing with fear under the table, the weapon still in his hand. Four other pistols were picked up in different parts of the room.

Deven was identified as a lovesick husband who appeared in the prosecutor’s office several month’s ago and asked to be “put away”. His wife had left him, he said, and he was afraid he might harm someone.

He was committed to the asylum at Lakeland. When or how he was released is a mystery. Lakeland officials said they had no record of him. Deven once shot himself in a suicide attempt police say, in grief over estrangement from his wife.

Gangdom’s prevailing opinion is that Flannery is “in” for it. Attempts and threats against the blond gangster’s life have furnished many lurid tales for the habitués of downtown hangouts.

Further, Flannery has made many bitter enemies through his political activities. In the last election he worked as a Democrat against “Mikey” Brown in the Eighth Ward. His overbearing tactics and bravado among the other downtown characters has increased the feeling against him, it is said.

Thus far, he has succeeded in keeping out of the toils for any length of time. His police record includes arrests for rum-sunning, carrying concealed weapons, alleged ballot frauds and attempted murder. His most recent arrest came in Philadelphia when he figured in a pistol battle in which a man was slain.

Camden Courier-Post - January 28, 1928

See Man Fleeing After Missile Crashes Through Window of Home
Crowded Merchantville Trolley Fired on But No Pellet is Found

Camden’s “phantom sniper” has been seen.

The man who had terrorized occupants of motorbuses, drivers of automobiles and residents of homes upon which he has fired during the last two months is no ghost, but a man of flesh and blood.

He is tall, fleet of foot, and he knows a man named “Louie” .

This at least is the description given to Camden police today by two young girls, who escaped the “ghost gunner’s” latest bullets this morning.

The girls were asleep in their bedroom, in the Centerville section, when the “sniper’s” shot sped through their window.

A short time before a bullet-like missile had crashed through the window of a Public Service trolley car, bringing the total number of occasions on which the “phantom” has appeared to 11.

The girls, through the window whose bedroom a bullet sped at 4:45 o’clock this morning are the Misses Redempta and Jean Napier, 25 and 20 years old respectively, daughter so Peter Napier, former Camden Prohibition agent, who is now in the south.

Jean, youngest of the sisters, is a former Camden High School student and widely known as a participant in amateur theatricals here and in Philadelphia.

That incident marked the tenth occasion on which the sniper has fired upon vehicles in Camden and the fourth attack he has made this week. He fired a bullet through the windshield of a Pennjersey bus on the Camden side of the Delaware River Bridge, struck a bridge policeman with a large marble fired from a slingshot or powerful air compression gun, and fired a shot through the store window of Gottlob Mayer, Twenty-seventh Street and Hayes Avenue as his activities for the week.

It was no “blue marble” such as that which struck Bridge Policeman John J. Rogers on the Camden bridge a few days ago that crashed through the Napier girls window. It was a leaden bullet. This latest appearance of the “ghost gunner” is notable for the fact that the bullet was found. Only in the first of the cases in which former State Senator Albert S. Woodruff was fired upon in his automobile has the bullet fired by the “phantom” been discovered afterward.

The bullet which entered the girls’ room was of .32 caliber. It penetrated the glass of the window, boring a hole about an inch in diameter. It struck a curtain at the window, which acted as a buffer and the bullet fell to the floor.

Aroused by the breaking glass, Redempta and Jean leaped from bed and ran to the window.

“We saw a man with a gun, standing across the street” the former said today. “He was looking up at our window. As we looked, he broke into a run. He reached the corner and I heard him say to another man: ‘It’s all right now, Louie.”

City Detective Frank Truax was assigned by Camden police to investigate the latest appearance of the “phantom sniper.” The leaden bullet found on the floor of the girl’s bedroom was turned over to him.

Meanwhile, several agencies began investigations of the “phantom’s” firing upon a trolley car this morning.

The mysterious shooting by the “ghost gunner” at the trolley car this morning, marked the tenth occasion which the “sniper” has fired upon vehicles and the fourth attack he has made this week. He fired a bullet through the windshield of a Pennjersey bus in the Camden side of the Delaware river bridge, struck a bridge policeman with a large marble fired from a slingshot or powerful air compression gun, and fired a shot through the store window of Gottlob Mayer, Twenty-seventh Street and Hayes Avenue as his activities for the week.

The motorman, George Washkruz, of 1114 Louis Street, and the passengers heard the bullet crash through the front window of the trolley car. A clean hole larger then pencil showed where the bullet had pierced the window. No report of a gun was heard and police believe the shot was fired by an English compressed air gun.

United States Commissioner Wynn Armstrong was a passenger on the trolley when the bullet tore through the window. He was on his way from his home in Merchantville to his of­fice at Third and Market Streets in Camden.

“A short time before,” Commissioner Armstrong said,” a coupe driven by a woman skidded and crashed into our trolley car as it was passing Morris Street. Naturally the passengers were excited about the accident. Luckily no one was injured.

“The car was proceeding again toward Camden when suddenly there was aloud “ping” and we saw the motorman jump. He stopped the car and looked at the window. There was a bullet hole in the window but we searched the car but were unable to find the bullet or where it had lodged after entering the car.

“We looked all around outside the car but was unable to see any person who might have fired the shot. We heard no report of a rifle or revolver accompanying the crash of the bullet.”

When Washkruz reached the Market Street ferries, he reported the occurrence to the police. Several policemen hurried to the scene and reached the neighborhood but found no trace of the sniper. As in nearly all the other cases the bullet was fired from a southerly direction.

“I didn’t know what happened.” Washkruz said. “I heard the bullet strike the window and I heard it sing as it passed by my head and go into the Interior of the car. I saw no one who might have fired the shot.’

George Rothery, manager of the southern division of the Public Service Transportation Company, said the company would start an investigation independent of that being made by the police in an effort to capture the sniper. The attack marks the first time a trolley car has been fired upon during the sniper’s reign of terror.

Captain of Detectives John Golden said police would start a campaign to capture the fiend who Is endangering the lives of citizens.

“We have received no report so far from the Public Service about the sniper’s activities this morning.” Captain Golden said,” but I will detail several plain clothes men immediately to run down this half-wit and take him into custody before he kills somebody.”

Chief of Police Linderman of Merchantvllle, said he would make an investigation into the shooting..

Camden Courier-Post - January 30, 1928

Hole In Windshield Of Car But No Bullet Found
Camden Police Ordered to Keep Close Watch for 'Phantom' Gunner

William Moll - Kimber Street

Camden Courier-Post
February 4, 1928

Anson Kelley - James E. Tatem
Arthur Colsey - Mary Kelley
Anson J. Kelley - John Golden



Camden Courier-Post - February 13, 1928

Police Letter Written by His Enemy, Downtown Youth Insists

Courier Reporter Locates Most Sought By Police
At Jasper Street Home
John Golden - Samuel Johnson - Kaighn Avenue

CAMDEN COURIER-POST - February 17, 1928

Clothing Stolen From Store, Teacher's Desk Looted; Bell-Ringer Arrested 

Frank Evans - John W. Golden - Gus Koerner - James McTaggert
Ann Street - Atlantic Avenue - Broadway - Erie Street - Front Street Locust Street - Sycamore Street - Woodland Avenue
Broadway School - North Camden
Francis Smith - Raymond Walker   

Camden Courier-Post - February 20, 1928


Because she wanted to get married and have a home of her own, 16 year-old Ida Underwood, of Johnstown PA, ran away from home.

Today she is waiting in the detention home at police headquarters for her father, who has told police he would come to Camden to take the girl home..

Ida and her "boy friend". Charles Morris, 23 years old and also from Johnstown, were arrested Saturday night by District Detectives Walter Smith and Joseph Carpani. The couple had stopped officers to ask directions to Atlantic City. The sleuths recognized Ida as a girl for whom they had been told to search.

After being questioned Morris was released. Ida, however, was held at police headquarters while her parents were notified.

She told Captain John Golden she had left home because she wanted to get married. She had been on her way to the shore with Morris, she said, to carry out her plans.  


April 2, 1928

John W. Golden
Theodore Guthrie
James V. Paradise



April 6, 1928

John W. Golden

Edward Wright
Joseph Tisso (Tisa)
Benson Street
Mickle Street
Market Street
North 2ndStreet
South 3rd Street


Camden Evening Courier - September 18, 1928



David Hunt - Thomas Cheeseman - Walter Smith - Rox Saponare
John W. Golden
- Howard Pike Samuel Johnson - Lewis Stehr
William Beottcher
- George Ward - Louis Shaw - Frank Malec
Lawrence T. Doran - Samuel P. Orlando - Louis Shectman
Mrs. Mary Brown -
Polack Joe Deven - Frank Smith - Walter Selby
Walter Wartmann - Charles Foulk - Mrs. Edward McGrath 
Father John J. Henry -
Joseph "Mose" Flannery"  - Joseph Moll
James Bonner-  
William Bonner  - James L. Hawkins
Walter Novak - Joseph Novak -
Garfield Del Duca - Eugene Murphy
Russell Sage - Patrick Driscoll - Joseph "Cuzzy" Scarduzio

Evening Courier

September 18, 1928

Camden Evening Courier - September 19, 1928




John Kowal
Lewis Stehr 
John Skolski
John W. Golden
James Hollis
Clarence Arthur 
Frank Moll
Clarence Bunker
Thomas Cheeseman

Sylvester McGrath
Lawrence T. Doran
Dr. David S. Rhone

William D. McDonaldson - Frank Leonard - Father McCorriston
Joseph "Mose" Flannery"  Joseph Moll - James Bonner 
William Bonner
  - Rita Leslie - James L. Hawkins - Hotel Royal
Walter Novak - Joseph Novak -
Garfield Del Duca - Eugene Murphy
Joseph "Cuzzy" Scarduzio - Patrick Driscoll  - Russell Sage
Front Street -
Kaighn Avenue - Fairview Street - South 3rd Street
Camden High School - West Jersey Hospital - Sacred Heart Church

Camden Courier-Post * March 25, 1930

Three Women Claim Body of 'Gimp' Thomas
One Is 'Daughter, Others Say They're Wives; Badge Mystery Unexplained

Who is the legal wife of Howard "Gimp" Thomas, under cover man for Camden police, whose death in an automobile upset early Saturday morning near Ellisburg is being investigated by county authorities?

Three women have attempted to claim the body but it still remained in the morgue of Coroner Melvin Cain last night.

A mystery woman in black appeared at the coroner's office Sunday and at­tempted to claim it. She declared she was Thomas' wife.

 "The body has already been claimed by Miss Marie Olive Thomas, 18, Harrisburg, Pa., daughter of Thomas," said Cain.    ,

"Well he is my husband,” replied the woman.

"I'm not going to get into any con­troversy over the legal claimant of the body," Cain told her. "You will have to settle that argument with Miss Thomas."

Threatens to See Lawyers

The woman left in an angry mood and threatened to "see a lawyer."

Mrs. Harold Thomas, 6534 Sixth Avenue, Philadelphia, told the Delaware township police yesterday she believes the dead man is her husband, who deserted her two years ago. She said she was coming to Camden to identify the body.

She said her husband's name was, Harold and was of the opinion he had changed it to Howard. She said the description she received tallied with that of her husband.

Until late last night the woman had failed to visit Coroner Cain's office. The newest mystery in connection with the case, however, has not yet eclipsed that impelling the question:

How did 'Gimp' Thomas come into possession of badge No. 188 of the Camden Police Department?

The badge, taken from Thomas' pocket when his body was found has been the subject of numerous theories. The police, unable to arrive at a satisfactory explanation, it is understood, are continuing their efforts to learn under what auspices Thomas came into possession of the badge.

Captain Arthur Colsey admitted the man had done some work for the Camden police but not often. He has been unable to account for the badge's having the same number as one issued James Hollis, Detective Captain John Golden's chauffeur.

Prosecutor Clifford A. Baldwin said he has asked the state police for a report on the death of Thomas and plans to check up reports that four men were with him instead of two on the fatal ride.

Harry McClain, 726 Kaighn Avenue, and William Hernisy, 1146 Liberty Street, who were with, Thomas when he was killed, are in the county jail. Two other men, who were reported seated in the rear have escaped.

Hernisy was driving the car when Thomas was killed and is being held on a charge of manslaughter and larceny of the automobile. McClain is charged with being an accessory.

Both men claim Thomas met accidental death although McClain said the dead man was taking him "for a ride" and he "beat him to it". The pair fled from the scene of the accident because they knew Thomas had stolen the car, they told police..

Camden Courier-Post * June 30, 1930
John Edwards - Helen Edwards
Anson Kelley - Newton Avenue
Fred Crozier - Eugene Moreslander
William Boettcher - William McDonald
Lawrence Doran - John Golden
William D. Crozier

Camden Morning Post - November 26, 1930


Joe O'Connor - John W. Golden - Sylvester McGrath - Russell Young
Broadway - Kaighn Avenue - South 5th Street - Walnut Street
"Little Club" speakeasy -
West Jersey Hospital
Albert Saunders - Angelo Solury - John Doris

Camden Courier-Post
April 10, 1931

Reino A. Thompson
Linden Street
Clifford A. Baldwin
Fern Street
Kimber Street
Todd Rooney
William Moll
Clifford Carr
Anson Kelley
John Golden
Charles V. Dickinson
Melvin Cain
Francis Zoll
Herbert Townsend

Rose Thompson - May Thompson - Irene Thompson - Diamond Thompson
Frederick Alanko Thompson - Onni " Esel" Thompson

Camden Courier-Post * August 14, 1931


George W. Frost - Roy R. Stewart - Charles V. Dickinson
John Bretschneider - John W. Golden - Regina Boskowska
William Stevenson - Thomas Ward - Raymond Scherneck
Haddon Avenue - Mt. Ephraim Avenue - Euclid Avenue
South 9th Street - Sycamore Street - Chestnut Street 

Camden Courier-Post - August 24, 1931
Robert Ashenfelter
Benjamin Simon
Charles Rettberg

American Stores
Robert Ashenfelter
Charles Rettberg 
Benjamin Simon
Pierce Avenue
North 32nd Street

Click on Image to Enlarge

Camden Courier-Post - August 24, 1931

Robert Ashenfelter - Lawrence T. Doran
 Charles Rettberg - Theodore Rettberg - James Melbourne aka Melvin James
John Golden - Frank Evans - Gus Koerner - Charles Wainwright
Benjamin Simon - Joseph Shreeve - Elwood Humphreys - Louis Schlam
Richard Donnelly - Charles Johnson - Lewis Smith - Charles Schultz
North 36th Street - Pierce Avenue - North 32nd Street - Bergen Avenue





August 24, 1931



Cleveland Plain Dealer - August 25, 1931

Camden Courier-Post * August 25, 1931
Robert Ashenfelter - Lawrence T. Doran
  Charles Rettberg - Theodore Rettberg - James Melbourne aka Melvin James
John Golden - Frank Evans - Benjamin Simon - Louis Schlam
Richard Donnelly - Clifford A. Baldwin - Gordon L. McRae - Emmalinda Canilus
North 36th Street - Pierce Avenue - North 32nd Street - Bergen Avenue
Beideman Avenue

Camden Courier-Post * August 25, 1931

Two of the three purported accomplices of the burglar slain by police yesrerday, and the young woman whose statements helped to implicate them, are shown in the above  photographs. Above are James Melbourne, center, and Theodore Rettberg, left. The latter is a brother of Charles Rettberg, 1189 North 36th Street, shot in a gun battle yesterday with Detective Robert Ashenfelter, who was seriously wounded, and Policeman Frank Evans. Miss Emmalinda Canilus, a material witness, is shown at right. Melbournea and Rettberg confessed to planning the robber with the youth who was slain, the police say., 

Camden Courier-Post August 26, 1931

Gordon McCrae
Theodore Rettberg
James Melbourne


Camden Courier-Post * August 26, 1931

Robert Ashenfelter - Lawrence T. Doran
  Charles Rettberg - Theodore Rettberg - James Melbourne aka Melvin James
John Golden - Frank Evans - Benjamin Simon - Louis Schlam
Richard Donnelly - Clifford A. Baldwin - Gordon L. McRae - Emmalinda Canilus
Mrs. Emma Bowden - Dr. H. Wesley Jack
North 36th Street - Pierce Avenue - North 32nd Street - Beideman Avenue

Camden Courier-Post - June 4, 1932

Benjamin Simon - Roy R. Stewart - John W. Golden - George Zeitz - William Taylor
Clifford A. Baldwin - Walter Keown - L. Scott Cherchesky - Garfield S. Pancoast
Charles Wilder - Liberty Street

Camden Courier-Post - June 11, 1932

Russell "Buck" Sage - George Zeitz - Harry "Gyp" Waterhouse - John Golden 
Raymond O'Connor - Joey O'Connor - Harry Simon - Benjamin Simon - Oliver J. Stetser 

Camden Courier-Post * October 8, 1932


Thomas J. Murphy - Josiah Pedigree - William W. Patterson - Fred Schaar - Roy. R. Stewart 
David S. Rhone - John W. Golden - Arthur Colsey - Thomas P. Murphy - Thomas J. Nicholas
Daniel W. Leach - Harry Hankins - James McDermott - Joseph T. Johnson - Harry Bakley - Irving Varley James M. Ellis - William Bryant - Samuel Hibbert -  William C. Horner

Camden Courier-Post * December 20, 1932
Charles Laib Charles J. "Jeff" Kay Theodore Guthrie Howard Smith
J. Oscar Till - Louise F. Walsh - John W. Golden - Charles H. Ellis - Charles Humes
South 2 4th Street - North 25th Street - North 4th Street - Penn Street - Fiore Troncone - Chestnut Street
Sheltering Arms Home - Newton Ash - William Michalak - John J. Robinson - Roy R. Stewart

Camden Courier-Post - February 1, 1933

Rogues Gallery Gives Clue to 3 Who Looted Place in 14th Ward

Three bandits who robbed a Republican Club in the Fourteenth Ward, escaping with three slot machines and other loot obtained from attendants, have been identified from rogues gallery photographs. 

Acting Chief of Police John W. Golden said yesterday that the county detectives were handling the case, but that he has ordered his own men to take the suspects Into custody, for questioning. One of those identified by three victims who were in the club when it was held up is "a well known police character," Golden said.

The holdup occurred 2.30 p. m. Saturday at the club, which is on Mt. Ephraim avenue, near Collings road.

It was not disclosed until Monday when reported to county detectives by the officers of the club, giving their names as Thomas McGarrity, 30, of 919 Magill avenue, West Collingswood; Thomas J. Davis, 31, of 2993 Mt. Ephraim avenue, Camden, and David Caffery, 34, of the same address..

Camden Courier-Post - February 4, 1933


Policeman William Turner, of the Third district, was fined 30 days' pay by order of Acting Police Chief John W. Golden yesterday following a trial by a board of lieutenants. Turner was charged with conduct unbecoming an officer. Turner will be continued on the roster, Chief Golden said, but will receive no pay for the next month's work. The specific charges on which the patrolman was summoned were not revealed..

Camden Courier-Post - February 9, 1933

Camden Wrestler and Bride Are Are Given Dinner Attended by Notables

Miss Emma Palladino, one of the fairest daughters of Camden's "Little Italy" yesterday became the bride of Joseph Montana, heavyweight wrestler, at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church, Fourth and Division streets.

Idol of Italian youth in this city Montana was hailed by hundreds of them outside the church. A number of relatives and friends, including prominent figures in the legal and professional life of the city, attended a dinner in honor of the couple at Overbrook Villa, Lindenwold, following the ceremony.  

The bride, 20, is the daughter

of Joseph Palladino, commercial photographer of 1115 South Fourth street. She graduated from Camden High school in 1928. Montana is 26 and a contender for the world's heavy-weight wrestling diadem. Following a wedding tour through the West the couple plan to reside in Camden.

Miss Emenia D' Alesio, of Audubon, and Miss Rose Marini and Miss Cecelia Szymanski, of Camden, served as bridesmaids. Attending the groom were Gene Mariano, Michel D'Ilesia and William Palladino. The bride carried a bouquet of lillies of the valley and white roses while her attendants held tulips and roses. The church was beautifully decorated with varied floral designs, gold ribbons, silks and satins.

The guest list at the bridal dinner included: Assemblyman Frank M. Travaline, Jr., City Commissioner Clay W. Reesman, director of parks and public property; Acting Chief of Police of John W. Golden, former Prosecutor and Mrs. Ethan P. Wescott, Samuel P. Orlando, Guido Laurini, Detective Fiore Troncone, Antonio Mecca, Mr. and Mrs. William Denof, Mr. and Mrs. Pasquale Ianuzzi, Frank H. Ryan, Thomas H. Ryan, Dr. and Mrs. Robert Principato, Mr. and Mrs. William Averall, Luke McKenna, Mr. and Mrs. Gene Mariani, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Abbott, Frank P. Cocchiaraley and Miss Regina Cocchiaraley, all of Camden; Miss Mary Montana, and Mr. and Mrs. Ettore Montana, of Columbus OH., and Aristadino D'Guilia and sons, Albert and Peter, of Buffalo, NY.

Camden Courier-Post - June 1, 1933

Camden Suspects, Brought Back From Penna., Viewed by Victims
Radio Workers Cannot Identify Them, They're Booked on Suspicion  

The $11,790 payroll holdup staged last Friday at the Radio Condenser Co., Thorne and Copewood streets, was, re-enacted yesterday.

Two suspects nabbed late Monday, at Lykens in Dauphin County, Pa., played the "heavy" roles. Also in the cast were eight women and two men, employees of the firm. For an hour and 20 minutes the spectacular robbery was "rehearsed" under the direction of three Camden detectives.

When the curtain was, rung down LeRoy Jenkins, 23, who police say has addresses at 1161 Mechanic Street and 1220 Princess Avenue, and Joseph Putek, 23, said to reside at 1462  Louis Street, were held on suspicion. They will be questioned further today.

Has Nothing Definite

Acting Chief of Police John W. Golden admitted he "has nothing on the boys." Detectives Benjamin Simon, Clarence Arthur and Clifford Del Rossi, however, "were pressing pursuit of "hunches" and meager clues in attempts to solve the crime. There were several lines of information they obtained regarding the two suspects which will bear further study, Simon said.

Putak, who has a po1ice record although never convicted according to police, was questioned previously in connection with the Radio Condenser "job." He was released at midnight last Saturday. After that the detectives centered attention upon Jenkins. They learned Jenkins borrowed an automobile from a man who operates a garage in the 1200 block on Atlantic Avenue. The garageman was reluctant to talk but under threat of arrest as an accessory he admitted lending a car to Jenkins.

Fliers were dispatched to police throughout Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware and New Jersey. The car was halted at Williamsport, Pa. and when Camden police were identified they were surprised that Putak was Jenkins' companion. This stirred detectives to renewed vigor in the probe. They learned the men were planning to visit relatives, of Jenkins in Williamsport and Pottsville. Acording to Simon police of both cities say Jenkins is well known to them.

While at Williamsport the three detectives learned Putak and Jenkins visited a vice den and quarreled with a woman over money. They quoted Jenkins as declaring that he "could buy and sell the joint!'  

Had Little Money

Putak had but $3 when released Saturday and $11 when arrested, Simon revealed. He told the detectives he had won money in a poker game here.

The two men were returned with the detectives as far as Philadelphia but refused to cross the river. They were turned over to police there on suspicion and. brought to this city yesterday afternoon. Taken to the Radio Condenser plant they were confronted with the ten employees who were herded in a vault during the holdup last Friday.

According to Simon several of the employees felt there were certain mannerisms of the suspects which corresponded with actions of the bandits but confessed they were unable to definitely identify Putak or Jenkins as the heavily masked pair who threatened their lives with a revolver and shotgun.       .

The detectives propose an inquiry to al1 banks in this area in an effort to learn whether safe deposit boxes were leased by anyone answering the description of the suspects. The money obtained in the robbery was in bills and change of small denomination, numbers of the bills were not available.

Although never convicted Jenkins has a police record. Putak has never been formally under arrest, but has been questioned by the police in connection with various cases.

Jenkins was arrested December 18, 1931, charged with larceny of gasoline, and on last July 9 was charged with several robberies.  

On April 2, 1931, he was held for the grand jury, charged with manslaughter after his automobile killed Mrs. Mary Cavanaugh, 70, a cook in the service of City Solicitor E. G. C. Bleakly.

Camden Courier-Post - June 10, 1933

Saloon Men's Protest at 1 A. M. Closing Wins Quick Action 
Report Spread Legislature Will Change Beer Bill Monday

Most of Camden's saloons started selling beer over the bar last night. No arrests were made.

Proprietors of "soft drink" parlors are said to have received an "O. K." to sell over the bar with the understanding they would not be molested.

At the same time it was learned that Mayor Roy R. Stewart had issued an official order at 5 p. m. to acting Chief of Police John W. Golden permitting all beer dispensaries, cafes, etc., to remain open until 2 a. m., daylight saving time, except on Saturday when they must close at midnight. 

Saloonkeepers Protest 

Through their own organization saloonkeepers are known to have put up a vigorous protest on closing at 1 a. m., while in Philadelphia the same closing hour is enforced in standard time, permitting places there to do business until 2 a. m. daylight time. It was said a close check-up failed to reveal anything in the state or city ordinances differentiating between daylight and. standard time. 

Word is understood to have been passed to the saloon men by high authority that the existing state law "will be changed Monday, sure" when the legislature meets at Trenton, and would knock out the clauses requiring screens and forbidding sale of beer over the bar. 

News Spreads Rapidly 

As if by some mysterious communication system, all saloons seemed to receive the advice at the same time. About 6 o'clock they started removing tables and screens. 
From official sources in Trenton there was firm denial that the beer law even would be taken up Monday.

Camden Courier-Post - June 13, 1933


A Camden policeman was suspended indefinitely and relieved of his badge yesterday on a charge of drunkenness on duty. 

The patrolman is Alfred Trusty, colored, of 1858 South Ninth Street. He is attached to the Second police district. 

Chief of Police John W. Golden ordered the suspension after he had received telephone calls informing him there was "a drunken policeman raising cain downtown." 

Golden ordered Lieutenant Ralph Bakely, commander of the district, to investigate. Trusty was brought into the station house by Sergeant Mattison. He has been ordered to appear before Golden today.

Camden Courier-Post - June 13, 1933


After an enforced idleness of several weeks due to the amputation of one of his fingers, Detective Robert Ashenfelter returned to duty last night at detective headquarters.

Patrolman John Opfer, assigned to the detective division to fill Ashenfelter's place during his absence, has been transferred back to uniform duty, Acting Police Chief John W. Golden announced the change last night.

Camden Courier-Post
June 15, 1933

Vandalism Costing City $500,000

The upper photo shows hundreds of windows broken by boys in the old Camden Iron foundry at Front and Pearl streets. The lower picture emphasizes destruction to properties at Second and Benson streets. 

Camden Courier-Post - June 15, 1933

North Camden Civic Group Wants Boys Forced to use Soft Rubber Balls 

A campaign to end vandalism in Camden has been launched by the North Camden Civic Association. 

After making an investigation, a committee including Mrs. Stephen Pfeil, Miss E. A. Stein and William Coghlan reported that $500,000 damage had been inflicted on vacant properties. 

The committee conferred with Acting Police Chief John W. Golden, one week ago and reported he promised to co-operate. 

The following statement was is sued by the committee: 

"Destruction of taxpayers' properties, as well as city property, MUST BE STOPPED. Many windows are broken by boys and young men playing ball on our streets. If they must play ball, then why not restrict them to soft rubber balls instead of hard balls? Properties not only are damaged, but anyone walking along the street is liable to be hit. 

"Not only windows are broken, but properties are literally torn down and plumbing ripped out. Just take a glance at the thousands of properties, homes, stores, factories, city bath houses and city parks destroyed beyond the means of owners to have them repaired so that they may get rents. This destruction of property is over our entire city and is not encouraging to outsiders to come to our city to live.

"This menace must be curbed and it is up to our police to take more interest in their city and make it their business to look into these matters which occur on their beat. If the parents were held responsible for their children's acts they would take a little more interest in molding the characters of their children and eventually we would have better citizens. 

"The worst crimes are committed by the younger element from 16 to 26 years. Whether it is the fault of the police or their superior officers, or whether it be the fault of ward leaders or other politicians interceding, Chief of Police John Golden has taken a firm stand and has promised to give his utmost support to this committee.".

Camden Courier-Post - June 23, 1933

Cops, Nab 14 Nudists After Criticism for Vandalism, Bathing
Citizens Complain to City Commission and Give 'Hot 'Tips' 
Police Act Quickly on Objection to 'Buck' Swimming

The Camden police were criti cized yesterday at a meeting of the City Commission for relaxing their vigilance in halting damage by vandals in vacant properties which have caused total losses of $500,000 in the city. 

A committee representing the North Camden Civic Association appeared before the City Commission and urged an intensive campaign to halt destruction of unoccupied buildings. Among the committee's recommendations for the drive were greater activity by the police, co-operation by citizens with the police in reporting vandalism, appointment of special officers to watch the buildings and a general educational campaign in the city schools. 

Given Hot Clue 

Mayor Roy R. Stewart estimated that $500,000 damage had been done to vacant properties, and agreed to give full support to the drive to halt vandalism. 

With characteristic suddenness, Frank J. Hartmann, secretary of the civic association, arose in the meet ing and told the mayor that if policemen were sent immediately to Tenth and State Streets they would find young men engaged in tearing down an unoccupied factory. 

As another evidence of "police negligence," he said, young men and boys could be found bathing nude at that moment in Cooper River in that vicinity. Acting immediately, Mayor Stewart instructed Capt. John W. Golden, acting police chief, to send policemen to the neighborhood. 

14 Nude Bathers Nabbed 

A few minutes later, 14 boys and young men, ranging, in age from 12 to 26, were arrested for bathing without clothes. 

All bathers over 14 were held in cash security of $10 and those under 14 were released in custody of their parents on charges of disorderly conduct. They are: Leslie Bayne, 26, of 503 Royden street; Harvey Howell, 16, of 529 Washington Street; John Grady; 19, of 578 Benson Street; Roscoe Davis, 15, of 253 North Eleventh Street; James Evans, 15, of 601 North Second Street; William Dempsey, 12, of 1030 Lawrence Street; Robert Farland, 13, of 1112 Federal Street; Roland Garber, 15, of 537 Birch street; Edgar Grundlock, 15, of' 318 North Tenth Street; Frank Garwood; 13; of 717 Bailey Street; Eugene Dodelin, 13, of 309 Cole Street; Ralph Skill, 13, of 512 North Seventh Street; Robert Rudd, 15, of 642 Linwood Street, and Richard Evans, 14 of 601 North Second Street. 

Miss Elsie Stein, a member of the committee, handed the mayor a letter from a woman who complained about young men bathing in Cooper River. The letter was turned over to Acting Chief Golden. 

"If the police performed the duties they are paid to perform, this vandalism could be stopped," Miss Stein said. 

Mrs. Stephen Pfeil, another committee member, told the mayor she realized the depleted condition of the police force and offered to aid in the educational campaign by talking against vandalism to children in the schools. 

Hartmann urged that politicians and public officeholders refrain from using their influence to obtain leniency for children guilty of damaging vacant houses. William Coghlan said he had complained to the police about the practice but had seen no results. 

Weed Cleanup Ordered 

Other members, of the committee presenting the protest were Vincent Martinelli and Leon Wojtkowiak, representing the South Camden Civic Association .

The city commission adopted on final reading an ordinance requiring property owners to remove from the front of their properties and sidewalks weds and debris. A fine may be imposed as penalty for violation of the ordinance.

A resolution was passed protesting an increase in power authorized by the federal government to Station WORC and WEPS, of Worcester, Mass. An increase to 1280 kilocycles and to 500 watts causes interference in broadcasting, from WCAM, the resolution pointed out. 

Assessors Reappointed 

Wilbur B. Ellis, Edward F. Peard and Thomas C. Wright were reappointed to the city board of assessors as of July 1. George H. Simpson, of 2725 Concord Avenue, was reappointed constable for three years in the Eleventh Ward. 

Another resolution was adopted by the commission clarifying to the federal government its position relative to responsibility as· to operation of WCAM. It was pointed out in the resolution that the mayor and city clerk had entered a supplemental agreement with the Broadcast Advertising Company, which leases the station from Camden. The government desired to establish that nothing be construed in the agreement which would relieve Camden from responsibility in operation of the station. 

Another measure adopted adjourns the city commission until July 13 for a hearing in proposed condemnation proceedings against properties at 332 and 334 Benson street, designated as fire hazards. 

Camden Courier-Post - June 24, 1933

Pancoast Frees Nude Bathers, Scores Those Causing Arrest
Boys and Young Men, However, Are Asked to Carry
Bathing Suits on Next Visit To Cooper River

Fourteen boys and young men arrested as nude bathers Thursday as the sequel to a city commission meeting, were freed yesterday by Judge Garfield Pancoast with the advice that they wear bathing suits when swimming.

The nude bathers were apprehended in Cooper river in the vicinity of Tenth and Pearl streets after Frank J. Hartmann, Jr., secretary of, the New Jersey Congress of Civic Associations and of the North Camden Civic Association, complained at the commission meeting Thursday that shocking conditions exist among the male bathers' in the river, causing women in the neighborhood to protest.

With two of the youthful bathers excused because they had to attend the final classes of the term in school, Police Judge Garfield Pancoast suspended sentence on the others at a hearing yesterday after advising them to wear bathing suits when swimming again. The boys had been released in their own recognizance after their arrest late Thursday by John Taylor, a policeman, who was sent to the bathing spot by Acting Chief Golden.

Pancoast Sarcastic

Taylor, under questioning of the court, testified that the nearest house to where the youths swam was a block away, and that while there were boathouses across the creek, he did not know whether they are occupied. The boys themselves testified that no women pass the "swimming hole," which, they said, is three blocks from State Street and almost two squares from Tenth street.

After Taylor informed the court he did not know who made the complaint to Mayor Stewart, Pancoast said the complainant "is probably the same man who, at the age of these boys, did nothing in the Summer but read the New Testament."

"He probably is the same man who never went swimming when the temperature went up to 92 degrees," the court commented, "and is probably the same man who does not know that the cost to the taxpayers for every arrest in the city averages $3.87."

Appeals to Boys

"I have nothing to say to you boys, but appeal to you to take a bathing suit with you the next time you go swimming, because someone might be passing who does not like to see your nude figure." 

The bathers: Leslie Bayne, 26, of 503 Royden Street; Harvey Howell, 16, of 429 Washington Street; John Grady, 19, of 578 Benson Street; Roscoe Davis, 15, of 253 North Eleventh street; James Evans, 15, of 601 North Second Street; William Dempsey, 12, of 1030 Lawrence Street; Albert MacFarland, 13, of 1112 Federal Street; Roland Garber, 15, of 537 Birch Street; Edgar Grundlock, 14, of 318 North Tenth Street; Frank Garwood, 13, of 717 Bailey Street; Eugene Dodelin, 13, of 309 Cole Street; Ralph Skill, 13, of 512 North Seventh street; Robert Rudd, 15, of 642 Linwood Street, and Richard Evans, 14, of 601 North Second Street.

Rudd and Garwood were the boys excused by Judge Pancoast from appearing in court so they would not lose credit for being absent from school.  

Camden Courier-Post - June 26, 1933

On Deathbed, She Orders 4 Children to Say She Fell on Stairs

Woman Slashed by Broken Decanter; Man Faces Murder Charge Today

A death-bed command of a South Camden mother to her four children to stick to their story failed of its motive last night and the woman's husband was arrested on suspicion of murder.

The charge will be changed today, police said, to one of murder.

"Say only what I say, that I fell down the steps."

Mrs. Philomena Marcozzi, 4l, died in West Jersey Homeopathic Hospital shortly after she made that remark; at 4 p.m. yesterday. She bled to death from a severe cut on her left arm.

At her bedside were her children, Josephine, 15; Ida, 13; Louise, 17, and David, 19.

Cops' Suspicions Aroused Nearby

Out of sight of the dying woman, stood Detectives Clifford Del Rossi and Fiore Troncone.

Their suspicions aroused, the sleuths renewed their investigation. As a result the woman's husband, Guilio Marcozzi, 55, of 321 Pine Street was put in the city jail last night, charged with the death of his wife.

Mrs. Marcozzi was cut with the jagged edge of a broken wine decanter, during an argument with her husband over the cleaning of some hardshelled crabs.

But it wasn't the children who said that.

A neighbor, Mrs. Ida Lupini, 31, of 311 Line Street, was in the Marcozzi home when the children returned Sunday night from a crabbing trip to Sea Side Heights. She told police, they declared, that she saw the children jubilantly deposit their catch on the kitchen table.     

Then she watched, alarmed and afraid to leave, as Marcozzi told his wife to "throw them out."

The wife refused.

The husband insisted, and when his wife told him he should clean the crabs, he grasped the wine decanter and struck the mother over the temple, Mrs. Lupini said.

Cut by Jagged 'Glass'

The decanter broke. Grasping the long, neck of the bottle, Marcozzi continued to attack his wife. He swung the jagged edge towards her breast, and to protect, herself she raised her arm.

The broken bottle cut deeply into her skin. An artery was severed.

Then the children rushed, the mother to West Jersey Homeopathic Hospital.

That is the story Mrs. Lupini told: according to Acting Chief of Police John W. Golden and Assistant Prosecutor Rocco Palese.

The mother told hospital attaches she fell down the steps of her, home, cutting her arm on the broken bits of a bottle she was carrying at the             time.    

The children, hearing this story, corroborated her.

Wife Dying- Man at Work

The father failed to appear at the hospital. Police were forced to get him at his work yesterday, according to Detective Joseph Carpani, when his wife was dying.

Last night he denied the crime. He said he was not at home when his wife suffered the fatal injury.

But his children, confronted with Mrs. Lupini's tale, broke down and confessed, according to police.

Eighteen hours of almost constant questioning of the Lupini woman by Detectives Carpani, Del Rossi and Troncone solved the tragedy. All three were complimented last night by Acting Police Chief John W. Golden.


 By Charles L. Humes 

In a shakeup of Camden police officials yesterday afternoon Lieutenant Samuel E. Johnson was named acting chief of detectives by Commissioner Mary W. Kobus, director of public safety. 

Lieutenant George A. Ward, who has been in charge of the detective bureau for a year, was transferred to take Johnson's place in charge of headquarters. 

Detective Louis Shaw was made assistant to Johnson, replacing Detective Sergeant Gus Koerner. Koerner was transferred to the Second District, for radio car and street duty. The new order became effective at 4:00 PM yesterday                       

Police Chief Arthur Colsey announced the changes in the bureau after a two-hour conference with Commissioner Kobus yesterday afternoon. 

Maurice Di Nicuolo, who has been an acting detective, was transferred to the First Police District, with former Acting Detective Clifford Del Rossi returning to his old post in the detective bureau. 

In the only other transfer announced, Sergeant Harry Newton was switched from the First Police District to the Third, with Sergeant Edward Carroll going from the Third to the First. 

Although no other changes were made public, it is believed yesterday’s are a forerunner of numerous shifts to be made today or early next week.’ 

“These changes are being made for the good of the service,” Commissioner Kobus declared. “There will be other transfers of officers and men so that all the police may familiarize themselves with all the branches of the department.”

 Lieutenant Johnson was a appointed a policeman on January 1, 1910. After 10 years as a patrolman, he was promoted to a detective, where he made a splendid record. On November 28, 1928 he was made a sergeant, and again promoted on April 8, 1930, when he became a lieutenant.

 Ward was appointed a policeman on August 2, 1917, promoted to detective January 1, 1927, sergeant November 14, 1928 and lieutenant on January 24, 1930.

 Johnson was a detective sergeant when former Police Chief John W. Golden was head of that bureau, but later was transferred to police headquarters.

Ward has been in and out of the detective bureau several times. He served for a time as the commander of the First District and later was in charge of the police headquarters on the 12:00 midnight to 8:00 AM shift. He was a political lieutenant of former Public Safety Director David S. Rhone.

Camden Courier-Post
December 5, 1935

Arthur Colsey
John W. Golden
George Clayton