JOHN R. KAIGHN was born in New Jersey to Walter West Kaighn and Mary Katherine Baird Kaighn. Besides John R., there were at least five other children who grew to majority, Edith B., Elsie Cramer Kaighn, Edna Kaighn, Mary Watson Kaighn, and Ruth. John Kaighn was the nephew of John Lord Kaighn, who raised a large family in North Camden in the vicinity of 8th and Elm Streets. One of John R. Kaighn's cousins was Lewis S. Kaighn.

At the time of the 1930 Census John Kaighn was living with his wife, the former Marguerite Fleming, in a rented home at 3322 Federal Street. The two were recently married. Also living there was sister-in-law Mary Fleming. When the census was taken, on April 12, 1930 John Kaighn was working as the chauffer of Winfield S. Price, the Mayor of Camden. 

By 1934 John Kaighn had joined the Camden Police Department. He was working as a detective in May of that year, as evidenced by the news article below. By August of 1936 he had returned to plainclothes duty.

The 1947 Camden City Directory shows John R. Kaighn living at 3123 Tuckahoe Road, in the Fairview section of Camden. He was still working as a Camden police officer at the time. 

John Kaighn passed away in March of 1968, survived by his wife, who joined him in 1983.  

Camden Courier-Post * August 1, 1929

Robert Brice - A.R. Clark - Emma Miles - Alice Peak - David Baird Jr. - John Kaighn - Catherine Kaighn
Chambers Avenue - Elm Street - Cooper Street - Trenton Avenue

Camden Courier-Post - June 8, 1933

Boy Ball Star Injured, 6 Shaken Up in Crash
William Denof, Infielder for Camden High and Junior Moose Teams, Badly Hurt Enroute to Game. Other Players Escape

William M. Denof Jr., the son of a Camden undertaker, of Fifth and Spruce Streets, suffered a possible fractured skull and cuts, and six other members of the Junior Moose baseball team of the Camden Minor League were shaken in an automobile accident last night.

Their truck, driven by Silvio Di Medio, 17, of 1105, South Fourth Street, collided at Fifth and Berkley Streets with a car driven by Lawrence Boulton, 35, a city fireman, of 1016 Monitor Road. The accident occurred at 6:15 p.m.

Denof was thrown to the road. He was treated at the office of Dr. Mordecai M. Pinsky, 944 South Fifth Street, and taken home. Denof is second baseman on the Camden High School team and plays shortstop for the Junior Moose.

According to Detective John Kaighn, the accident occurred when Boulton, driving west on Berkley Street, attempted to make a right turn into Fifth street. Boulton was not held.

Others in the truck were Elmer Yost, pitcher, of·315 Mechanic Street; Alfred Di Giacomo, third baseman, of Fourth and Viola streets; Frank Pietrizyk, Jr., of 1061 Morton street; John Pirroti, of 1464 South Fourth Street, and Forrest Collins, 355 Mechanic Street. They required no medical treatment.

The youths were en route to a game at Westmont.

Camden Courier-Post - June 14, 1933
Police Believe Hunt for Racket Headquarters Ended; 4 Are Arrested

A three-month search for "number's" headquarters in Camden was believed ended today when 
detectives raided a florist shop at 1409 Mt. Ephraim avenue, seized seven adding machines, thousands of dollars worth of sales slips and arrested four men. 

Joseph Klosterman, 34, of 1413 Mt. Ephraim Avenue, whom the police believe operated the "bank," was included in a quartet arrested by a squad under command of Sergeant of Detectives Louis Shaw

Responding to an anonymous tip that the numbers men were gathered in a rear room of the store, Shaw, together with Detectives Clarence Arthur, George Zeitz and John Kaighn, surrounded the place.

The others arrested in the raid gave their names as Charles Selanski, 23, of 1286 Sheridan Street; Leon Babrowski, 22, of 1209 Lansdowne Avenue, and Frank Gromacki, 27, of 1411 Mt. Ephraim Avenue. Several "pickup men," who have been arrested while carrying money and numbers slips, according to Shaw, were linked with the ring. The principals, however, had managed to escape detection. 

The flower shop, Shaw said, is operated by Joseph Haleski, and was used as a "blind" for the lottery racket.

Klosterman was released last night in $1000 bail for a hearing today on a charge of operating a numbers lottery. The others were all released in $100 cash security as material witnesses..

Camden Courier-Post - June 21, 1933

Mysterious Piece of Paper' Enlivens Numbers Trial Here 
Judge Shay Enjoys Verbal Tilt Between Gotshalk and Walter Keown,
But It Fails to Enter Into Evidence

A mysterious piece of paper yesterday precipitated a verbal battle between Assistant Prosecutor William C. Gotshalk and Defense Attorney Walter S. Keown upon opening of the trial of Joseph and Fred Klosterman on charges of number writing. They were placed on trial before Judge Samuel M. Shay and a crlminal court jury. 

Acting Lieutenant Louis Shaw, of the city detective bureau, testified of a raid on the Klosterman saloon at Mechanic and Green streets and an adjacent house at 1312 Green street. The witness identified a brief-case containing numbers slips and also a postal card addressed to "F. Klosterman." 

When Shaw was turned over to Keown for cross-examination, the defense counsel reached into the case, pulled out a piece of paper and asked how it had gotten into the bar. When Shaw said he had put it there, Keown declared: 

"Well, put it into your pocket. It has nothing to do with this case." 

Shaw refused, whereupon Keown rolled it up into a ball and put it in his own pocket. At this, Gotshalk angrily demanded to see the paper, but Keown declared that "you can't see this until after the jury has gone out." When Gotshalk insisted, Keown said he would give it to Judge Shay. He threw it on the judge's desk, but Judge Shay, who was smiling broadly, made no move to take it. Gotshalk then reached out to get the paper, but Keown was quicker retrieving it and placing it in his pocket again.

"What right have you to take a state exhibit and place it in your pocket?" Gotshalk queried heatedly. "I want that paper." 

"I'll show it to Judge Shay," parried Keown. 

"I don't want to see it," laughed Judge Shay, as Keown paced around the courtroom, followed by Gotshalk. 

"It has nothing to do with this case," repeated Keown. 

And there the matter stood. 

Shaw testified that he, Detective Clarence Arthur and Patrolman John Kaighn entered the saloon December 10, and went out the back door. They followed a path to the Green street house, broke down the door and found Henry Bagroewski, 17, and his mother burning numbers slips in a stove. Shaw said he recovered a half basket of slips. 

Shaw and Arthur also declared that they found a bell in the house and that it was connected to a push button in the saloon, allegedly for an alarm. 

Mary King, deputy city clerk, testified that at the time of the raid the license for the saloon was in Joseph Klosterman's name. 

Shaw's testimony was corroborated by Arthur and Kaighn. Shaw was then recalled to the stand and related that as the three detectives went from the saloon to the other house, the Klosterman brothers followed them and demanded to know "why the dicks are always picking on us." 

The case will be resumed this morning. . 

Camden Courier-Post - June 22, 1933

Camden Brothers Released in Bail Awaiting Sentence 
Both Defendants Deny Connection With Raided Saloon

Joseph and Fred Klosterman were convicted in Camden Criminal Court yesterday of operating a numbers racket. 

A jury returned a guilty verdict against the two South Camden sportsmen-brothers at 6:25 p. m., after deliberating only a short while. 

Both were in the courtroom when the verdict was announced, but were allowed to depart under bail pending sentence later by Judge Samuel M. Shay

Judge Shay delivered his charge to the jury after denying motions by Walter S. Keown, defense counsel, first to quash the indictment on grounds that 
its language was faulty, and second, to direct a verdict of not guilty for lack of evidence.

Called 'Big Shots' 

The two brothers were character ized as "big shot numbers barons" by Assistant Prosecutor William C. Gotshalk in his closing argument to the jury. 

Referring to a woman and her son, who were burning numbers slips when raiders entered the establishment, Gotshalk said: . 

"They might ask us why we don't have that woman and her 17-year­old son on trial here. When the police make an arrest the public wants to know why we don't get the big shots. Well, here they are," pointing at the Klostermans. "Here are the big shots," 

The Klosterman saloon, Mechanic and Green Streets, was raided December 10 by city detectives who testified Tuesday they followed a footpath to an adjacent house at 1312 Green Street. They broke down the door and found a woman and her son burning numbers slips. Acting Lieutenant Louis Shaw, of the city detective bureau, testified he recovered some of the slips and also found a brief case containing numbers slips and a post card addressed to "F. Klosterman." Detective Clarence Arthur and Patrolman John Kaighn corroborated Shaw's testimony. 

Says He Was Visitor 

The defense opened with Joseph Klosterman on the stand. He testified he had nothing to do with the saloon when it was raided, but merely happened to be in there for a drink when the raiders entered. He said he had owned the saloon for three and a half years but sold it last July for $100. He never had any connection with the Green Street house, he declared. He is now a plumber, Klosterman averred. 

When Assistant Prosecutor Gotshalk asked him if he had ever been convicted of crime, Keown asked that the jury be withdrawn as he wanted to make another motion. Court then recessed. 

When court resumed Mrs. Anna Pogroszewski, of the Green street address, took the stand. She testified the Klostermans were not connected with her home in any manner. She testified she had rented a room to a man named "Tommy" and all the numbers apparatus was his. When he moved out, he left the slips and adding machines there, she said, and she had cleaned out his room and was burning the papers when the raiders arrived. 

Fred Klosterman, who resides at 1255 Decatur Street, denied he was a "numbers baron" and said he merely "happened" to be there on the day of the raid. Under cross-examination he admitted having pleaded guilty to slot machine charges in June of last year.

Camden Courier-Post - June 29, 1933

Others Captured on Roof of Vacant House; Oldest 13

Three small boys were arrested last night as lawbreakers.

John Greely, 13, of 419 Cedar Street, charged with malicious mischief and breaking and entering, was arrested by Detective John Kaighn on complaint of Carl H. Brummer, of 629 Clinton Street, manager of an American Store at Fourth and Elm Streets, who said he found the boy hiding in the cellar of the store.

The other boys, Victor Linkletter, 13, and William Hoy, 12, both of 506 Penn Street, are charged with trespassing. They were arrested by Detective Sergeant Gustave Koerner and Detectives Kaighn and Frank Crawford, who from windows of the detective bureau in new city hall, said they saw the boys on the roof of a vacant three-story building at 427 Market Street.

Climbing up the rear of the building they said they cornered the boys hiding behind a chimney, apparently planning to enter the building.

All three will be arraigned in police court today.

Camden Morning Post - October 15, 1933
Alexander Slowey - Alexander Wasneuko - Joseph Carpani - John Kaighn - Garfield Pancoast
South 7th Street - Mechanic Street - Essex Road

Camden Courier-Post

May 7, 1934

Stevens Street
Silver Street
Cooper Hospital

Camden Courier-Post
August 30, 1935

John V. Wilkie
Rosie Gieldonski
Orchard Street
John Kaighn
Haddon Avenue

Camden Courier-Post - February 29, 1936

Two armed bandits and an accomplice took on a tough job last night when they attempted to hold up Walter J, Brown, 38, of 430 Rand Street.

 Brown. a sturdy clerk employed by the T&B Tobacco Company, of Kaighn Avenue near Broadway, slugged one of the holdup men, suffered a gash when slugged by a second, and caused the three thugs to retreat.

In a report to detectives, Brown said he drove his automobile into the garage at the rear of his home and was about to close the doors when he was confronted by a masked man who ordered him to "stick 'em up."

Instead, Brown let both fists fly. Thereupon, a second thug appeared and struck Brown with a pistol.

He battled with the pair with his fists and observed a third man appear from behind the garage. So furious was Brown's attack that the three bandits took to their heels running in the direction of Baird Boulevard.

After summoning Detectives John Trout and John Kaighn, Brown received treatment from a nearby physician.

He described the masked man as five feet six inches in height, weighing about 150 pounds. He wore a tan overcoat, Brown said.

The second bandit who wielded the pistol was described as five feet eight inches tall, weighing 140 pounds and wearing a gray overcoat. Brown was unable to give a description of the third man.  

Camden Courier-Post - February 29, 1936

Police Seize 2 Decks of Cards, Pair of Dice; Miss Cash

Seven men were arrested last night when police raided a private home I after receiving a "tip" that a card game was in progress. 

William J. Stephan, 29, of 403 Friends avenue, the scene of the raid, was arrested as the alleged proprietor and held in $2000 bail for a hearing today before Judge Lewis Liberman.

Others arrested are John H. Ridge, 42, of 418 North Third Street; Ernest Ridge, of Milner Hotel, Delaware avenue and Market street; Nat Green, 34, of 562 Carman Street; John Podhar, 31, of 1944 Bristol street, Philadelphia; Charles Luffy, 32, of 1418 Erie avenue, Philadelphia, and Robert Ramsey, 23, of the Camden Y. M. C. A. All were held in $100 bail as material witnesses.

Detectives John Trout, John Kaighn and Patrolmen Marshall Thompson and Earl Hamby conducted the raid and said they confiscated two decks of cards and a pair of dice. They said a quantity of money on the table was scooped up by the players before they reached the playing room.

Camden Courier-Post - August 12, 1936

Cops Score High on This Slot Machine

Camden Courier-Post * August 24, 1963
Gold Badges To Be Given 15 City Cops

Fifteen retired Camden City policemen will be honored by the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association, Local 35, Wednesday night at the Police and Fire Club, 1175 Whitman Avenue.

Police Chief William H. Neale, will present awards. The awards will be gold retirement badges mounted in wallets. The men receiving them will have served 20 or more years.

According to Patrolman Robert Mentz, PBA secretary, this is the first time since 1960 that retirement badges have been presented. The ceremonies will follow the organization’s business meeting.

Awards will be made to: Edward Suski, Harry Cattell, Clifford DelRossi, Frank Gutherman, John Houston, Thomas Kauffman, William Stibi, Leon Feltz, Russell Young, Henry Leutz, George Ellis, Everett Joslin, Ralph Cline, John Kaighn and former Chief Gustav Koerner.