John Augustus


JOHN AUGUSTUS "GUS" DOLD was born in New York in 1861 according to the 1900 Federal Census. He generally went by his middle name, and was known to family and friends as "Gus". His father, Thomas Dold, immigrated to the United States from the Kingdom of Wurttemburg, which became part of the united German Empire in 1871.

The 1870 Census and 1880 Census shows the family in Rochester, New York. The 1880 Census lists Augustus Dold at 14 Bartlett Street in Rochester, New York. He was living with his father Thomas and older brother Jacob. ,"Gus" Dold was then working in a printers shop.

The Dold brothers came to Camden not long after the 1880 Census was taken. the 1883-1884 City Directory shows the brothers living at 1108 South 2nd Street. Both were working as laborers. They are listed as John A. Dold and John J. Dold in this Directory. Jacob Dold eventually moved back to Rochester.

The 1884-1885 Directory only shows John A. Dold. He was still living at 1108 South 2nd Street. He was then working as a sashmaker for Thomas Arrison at his business at 216 Liberty Street. He would remain in the employ of Arrison through May of 1894.

On September 6, 1886 John A. Dold marriued Emma Loux in Pennsylvania. The couple went to live in Camden, where John A. Dold worked. The Dolds had one child, George Thomas Dold, born in September of 1887.

The Dold brothers are listed in the 1887-1888 City Directory at 227 Chestnut Street. John A. Dold was still working for Thomas B. Arrison, by this time as a blindmaker. The family remained at 227 Chestnut Street through the compilation of the 1888-1889 Directory. John A. Dold was still following the blindmaker's trade when the 1890-1891 Directory was compiled. By this time he had moved to 247 Mount Vernon Street. He was still at that address when, on May 30, 1894, he was appointed to the Camden Fire Department.

John A. Dold was initially assigned to Engine Company 3. The 1895-1896 City Directory shows the crew at Engine Company 3 as follows: Foreman William Deno; Engineer, Samuel R. Lodge; Stoker, Lewis Buzine; Driver, George Shields; Hosemen, John Ware, and Augustus Dole (John Augustus Dold).

The Dolds remained at 247 Mount Vernon Street as late as 1898, before moving to 257 Mount Vernon Street.

The Dold family moved to 257 Mount Vernon Street by the time the Census was taken in 1900, and remained at that address through at the compilation of the 1906 Camden City Directory. By the time the 1910 Census was enumerated, they had moved to the then-new Parkside section of Camden, taking up residence at 1301 Park Boulevard. The 1918-1919 City Directory shows John A. Dold at 559 Trenton Avenue.

John Augustus "Gus" Dold retired from the Camden Fire Department on February 1, 1919. He was presented with a gold watch upon his retirement. John and Emma Dold retired to the Pocono Mountain region of northeastern, Pennsylvania. The 1920 Census lists them in Chestnuthill Township in Monroe County, Pennsylvania. Fire Department records from 1931 state that he was living at Brodheadsville, Pennsylvania.

John Augustus "Gus" Dold passed away on March 15, 1936. He was survived by his son, George Thomas Dold, who worked in senior management for the Public Service Gas & Electric Company.

Philadelphia Inquirer - May 30, 1894

Joseph Logue - William Patterson - George Cox
David Andrews - John A. Dold - William Jobes
William O. Sawyer - Albert James - Samuel Curriden

Daily Telegram

May 31, 1894

James Baird
 Joseph Logue
William Patterson
George Cox

David Andrews
John A. Dold
William Jobes
William O. Sawyer
Albert James

Samuel Curriden

James Elberson

Charles J. "Jeff" Kay

Philadelphia Inquirer
August 3, 1894

West Jersey Railroad
Improved Order of Red Men
Frank Crowell
Cramer Hill
Rev. Michael J. Haggerty
Samuel K. Hires
William Leaming
Liberty Street
John A. Dold
Engine Company No. 3

Philadelphia Inquirer - May 29, 1906
Edward V.D. Joline - Frank Walters - John Brooks - Fireside New Years Association - Kaighn Avenue - Charles H. Ellis
Joseph E. Nowrey - David B. Peterson - Joseph Potter - Alfred Dudley - South Camden Pleasure Club - Eugene McCarthy Alfred Sayrs - Charles Welsh - John Genther - William Barr - William Rose - John A. Dold - Peter Gray - Joseph Jones
Federal Street - East Camden - John W. Coleman - Levi E. Farnham

Camden Post-Telegram
January 3, 1910

Harry Selby
Samuel S. Buzine
Arthur Wingate
Richard Marter
Samuel S. Elfreth
George B. Wade
Peter B. Carter
Peter S. Gray
John A. Dold
Newton G. Ash
Joseph Johnson
Joseph Maxwell
Harry S. Burrough
William Elberson
Henry "Harry" Green
William Tatem
John Lennox
John Lutts

Charles H. Fitzsimmons IV

John Gardner
Charles Minckle
Harry Lee
Charles Hose

Philadelphia Inquirer - December 20, 1910

Camden Post-Telegram * January 2, 1913

... continued...
... continued...
Charles A. Todd - John W. Kelly Jr. - John H. Lutts - William K. Buzine - James Navin - Richard Marter
 Joseph Sparks - George Boone  - Roy A. Smith  - Edward Simpson - Henry C. Knowles
Samuel S. Elfreth - George P. Cox - Walter W. Browning - George B. Wade - John A. Stockton
Joseph F. Ernst - John A. Dold - Josiah Sage - Daniel Smith - Arthur Wingate - Joseph T. Johnson
Harry Hankins - William Laird - William Elberson - John H. Lennox - Martin Carrigan - Charles Cook
Harry Selby - Herman O. Kreher - Daniel P. McConnell - William Howell Tatem  
Harry C. Anderson - Steward Bakley - Joseph Maxwell
William Robinson - Richard Sauer - John Watson - Albert Glanders - Ladder Company 1
Charles Menke - Edward S. Gahan - Engine Company 7 - Engine Company 2

This 1912 Robinson Combination Chemical and Hose Wagon was assigned to Engine Company 2. It was one of two purchased as the first motorized apparatus in the Department. Pictured in this 1913 photograph are (l to r): Fireman John Lennox, Wagon Chauffer Harry Hankins, Firemen William Elberson, Joseph Ernst, Martin Carrigan, and Captain George Wade. Accompanying them are members of the engine crew: Stoker Arthur Wingate, Driver Joseph Johnson and Engineer John Augustus "Gus" Dold.

The Amoskeag Steamer of Engine Company 2 with Engineer, hooked up and operating in North Camden. Circa 1913.  

Camden Fire Department - 1914 Chief Engineer's Report

Engine Company No. 7

Location 1115 Kaighn Avenue. Second-class Metropolitan Engine and Combination Chemical and Hose Wagon. Went into service July 1, 1910. Carries 900 feet of 2-1/2-inch hose. 

Rank Age Residence Salary
Charles A. Todd  Captain  52  618 S. Fourth Street  $1,140.00 
Joseph Sparks  Lieutenant 31  624 S. Fifth Street $960.00 
John A. Dold   Engineer 53 1301 Park Boulevard  $1,140.00
Elmer Burkett  Stoker 47  1009 Penn Street $1,020.00 
Roy Smith  Driver 30   607 Carman Street $960.00 
William Hunsinger Driver 37   741 Walnut Street $ 960.00 
George Boone  Hoseman 38   605 Mt. Vernon Street $ 960.00 
Sylvester McGrath  Hoseman 35 605 St. John Street $ 960.00 
Horace Cairns  Hoseman 42 621 Newton Avenue $1,020.00 

Engine Company 7 on Kaighn Avenue - 1914
Camden Courier-Post * June 14, 1969
Click on Images to Enlarge

Camden Post-Telegram
February 1, 1919

William Peters
John A. Dold
William Buzine
Robert Whitley
Arthur Wingate
Engine Company 7
Engine Company 5

Philadelphia Inquirer - February 2, 1919
John A. Dold - William Buzine
Robert Whitley - Arthur Wingate
Engine Company 7 - Engine Company 5