JAMES WILSON was was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on March 20, 1891. The 1920 Census shows him living at 823 Morgan Street in Camden with his wife and daughters Josephine and Margaret. He was the working as a foreman at a shipyard, most likely the nearby New York Shipbuilding Corporation yard.

James Wilson was appointed to the Camden Police department on September 9, 1924.

The 1930 Census shows James Wilson living at 697 Fairvew Street with his wife, the former Josephine Meyers, son James M. Wilson Jr., and daughters Josephine, Margaret, and Theresa "Tess" Wilson. His wife passed away on January 2, 1940 of a heart ailment. The Census shows James Wilson living with his son and daughter Theresa at 754 Sylvan Street.

When he registered for the draft in April of 1942, James Wilson was living at 224 Cooper Street.

Camden Courier-Post - February 14, 1928

Bernard Bertman - Thomas Kauffman - James Wilson - Charles Stone
John D. Wysocki - Emil Muckensturm Jr.
Broadway - Kaighn Avenue - Tulip Street - Walnut Street - Washington Street


April 6, 1928

Dr. Charles B. Helm
James Wilson
Haddon Avenue
Claude "Black Bill" Brooks
Linden Street
Mickle Street


Camden Courier-Post * April 16, 1930 


A police motorcycle squad under the command of Inspector Humes acted as escort today at the funeral service of Edward S. Hyde, former police chief and a. member of the board of freeholders, who died Sunday. 

Services took place at the home, 832 Haddon Avenue, and burial was in Harleigh Cemetery. Members of the police detail were Sergeant Jefferson Kay, Patrolmen Thomas Kauffman, William Moll, John Stanton, Thomas Welch and James Wilson

Hyde was appointed to the police force in April, 1894, and pensioned July, 1923. He succeeded Chief Gravenor when the latter resigned in 1922. Long interested in politics, he was elected freeholder two years ago. He is survived by his widow, Mina B. Hyde, and three daughters, Mrs. Marion Garlan, Mrs. Mary Van Hart and Emma Hyde..

Camden Courier-Post - November 25, 1931


William J. "Shooey" Bonner - Carroll P. Stanton - North Front Street - Walter Rowand - Albert York
James "Jimmy" Rogers - William Pernier - Herbert Genz - Gospel Hall - John Opfer - James Wilson
Father Thomas J. Whelan - Holy Name Roman Catholic Church 

Camden Courier Post
June 7, 1932

Roy R. Stewart - Charles T. Humes
Herbert Anderson - George Ward
Ralph Bakley - Edward Hahn
John Garrity - George Jefferis
James Wilson - Edward Carroll
John Skolski - Stiles Whitaker

Camden Courier-Post - February 29, 1936


Harry Crothers, 45, of 705 Pearl street, told Police Judge Lewis Liberman he was sitting peacefully in a taproom at Seventh and Birch streets when John Albert Waite, of 318 Point Street, walked in.

"The next thing I knew he hit me on the nose," Crothers testified. "I attempted to find out the reason for the unexpected attack and he hit me in the mouth.

"Then I got angry and socked him four times."

Waite appeared in court with a fractured nose, two discolored eyes and puffed lips.

Motorcycle Patrolman James Wilson, who was called to quell the disturbance, said Crothers was charged with assault and battery and Waite was a material witness.

"I was drunk- I don't remember what happened," Waite mumbled. "I want to withdraw the charge." The court complied and they walked out arm-in-arm.

Camden Courier-Post * February 12, 1938

Mariano Says He Won't Postpone Any More as Complaint is Thrown Out

Police Judge Mariano gave notice yesterday that "unless a very good reason is advanced," there will be no more drunken driving cases postponed in Police Court.

He made that statement after telling Virgil Moffett, 47, of 303 North Forty-first street, that he was "very lucky" and that he would be "given the benefit of the doubt." He then dismissed a drunken driving complaint against, the man.

Moffett was arrested last Saturday night after a truck on which he was riding, and a car driven by Ernest Herman, 25, of 214 Byron street, were in collision at Fourth and Federal streets. The hearing scheduled for Monday, was postponed until today so that "additional witnesses" could be called.

Although Lieutenant George Ward testified that Moffett was drunk when brought into police headquarters, Sergeant James Wilson, who arrested Moffett, said he was not intoxicated, but had been drinking.

Moffett admitted driving the truck into the city and said he had a couple of drinks at a restaurant. He said that he did not want to drive back and that two men whom he met in the restaurant and whom he did not know offered to go along with him and drive the truck. The men were not with Moffett when he was arrested.

Herman said he didn't know who was driving the truck but that after the collision Moffett came over to him. He said he didn't know whether Moffet was drunk.

"I must dispose of these cases upon the evidence presented here under the law," Judge Mariano declared. "I will dismiss the complaint. This will be the last drunken driving case that will be postponed by me unless a very good reason is advanced."

Camden Courier-Post - September 17, 1948

ALL of the officers
were fully exonerated of ANY wrongdoing.

Nathan Petit - David S. Rhone
Louis T. Goldman - Bruce A. Wallace
Anthony Skolski - Charles Hance
Martin Nelson - George Getley
Everett Joslin - James Wilson
Walter Vecander - Anthony Palese
Edward Garrity - Samuel E. Johnson

James Bishop
Joseph Weller
Charles Howard
John Williams


Camden Courier-Post - August 5, 1952
Grace Lutheran Church - Ionic Lodge No. 94, F. & A.M.