C. Hobart


CHARLES HOBART CORSON, generally known as Hobart Corson was born in Camden on July 23, 1902 to W. Penn Corson and his wife he former Catherine Kronenwetter. The family included one older brother, William Wallace Corson, and two younger brothers, Edward Mahlon and John Marvin Corson. W. Penn Corson was a successful building contractor who served a term as Camden County's sheriff from 1917 through 1920 and was the co-owner with Dr. Charles B. Helm of the Camden franchise of the Eastern Basketball League from 1913 through 1925. 

In 1898 W. Penn Corson began working for Frank B. Sweeten, who was a general contractor, where he learned enough about the construction business to set up his own firm, in 1904. After establishing himself paving streets and building sewers in Camden, he completed many large projects in the new suburban towns, including the sewage systems in Westmont and Haddonfield. Perhaps his mist notable project was the paving of the White Horse Pike Pike from Haddon Heights to Camden, a distance of four miles.

As early as 1906 through at least 1912 W. Penn Corson, his wife and family lived at 540 Newton Avenue, in Camden's Ninth ward. By 1914 the family had moved to 506 Haddon Avenue, where they stayed through January of 1920. W. Penn Corson served as Camden County Sheriff from 1917 to 1920. By 1924 he had moved to 119 White Horse Pike in Haddon Heights. W. Penn Corson passed away on November 29, 1927, survived by his wife and three sons, W. Wallace Corson, C. Hobart Corson, and E. Mahlon Corson. Mrs. Corson and her sons returned to the Haddon avenue address, where she resided in the fall of 1936. C. Hobart Corson was still residing at 506 Haddon Avenue as late as 1947. He later moved to 417 Carteret Street.

Hobart Corson began working for the City of Camden as a clerk in Police Court on June 23, 1938. He was drafted into the United States Army on August 23, 1942 at Camden, New Jersey and assigned to an Air Corps unit. He was discharged and upon his return to Camden assigned to a position of Chief's Clerk for the Camden Fire Department in January 16, 1944. He was also active in the 1940s and 1950s with the Elks and with the 9th Ward Republican Club, serving for a time as its president.

By the fall of 1961 Hobart Corson's work was being affected severely by his problem with alcohol. He was suspended twice by Chief Edward MacDowell, the first time in September of 1961, then again at Christmas time. A third suspension, this time at the hands of Public Safety Director Borstein, came in March of 1962. Further health problems led to Hobart Corson's leaving the Fire Department on September 1, 1962. Last a resident of 123 North 23rd Street, he passed away on May 15, 1964.

Camden Courier-Post * December 23, 1949

C. Hobart Corson - Dr. R. Dean Cavalli - John W. Kmicic - 9th Ward Republican Club
North 31st Street - Broadway - Walter Wychowanec - John A. Healey - Helen Polnar - H. Allen Wolfe

Camden Courier-Post
June 15, 1959

Cooper Street
Sgt. Ray Smith
George I. Shaw
Godfrey C. Misus
Franklin P. Kramer
Clair V. Cathers
David W. Nichols Jr.
John Robertson
Edwin H. Bishop
William S. Gibson
Joseph R. Mulligan
James A. MacMillan
William H. Jackle
C. Hobart Corson
Wilfred Benoit

Philadelphia Inquirer
May 16, 1964

9th Ward Republican Club
North 23rd Street
Warren Avenue


Royden Street

Leroy Wooster
William Gallagher
C. Hobart Corson
Mahlon Corson






Camden Courier-Post * May 16, 1964

9th Ward Republican Club - W. Penn Corson - North 23rd Street - Broadway - Royden Street
Mahlon Corson - William Gallagher