HERBERT ANDERSON was born in New Jersey in 1891 to George W. Anderson and his wife Lizzie Anderson, one of at least four children. His father served as a member of the Camden Police Department from the 1890s through at least 1916. In 1900 the family then lived at 711 Carman Street, in what was then Camden's 9th Ward. Besides Herbert the family included brothers Harry and Russell, and a sister, Nellie.

He married Florence L. Walls at the age of 17. His father-in-law, George Walls, was a sailing ship captain. A son, George, was born in 1909, daughter Anna came two years later. When the census was taken in 1910, Herbert Anderson and family were living at 304 Vine Street in North Camden, the home of Captain and Mrs. Walls. He was then working as a "wiper" in an "engine house", which roughly translates that he was working somewhere around steam engines and boilers as an unskilled laborer.

Herbert Anderson was a member of the New Jersey National Guard when America became involved in World War I, and served with the United States Army when the guard was mobilized. He was working as a member of the Camden Police Department, however, in May of 1918. At the time of the 1920 Census, the Anderson family resided at 534 South 8th Street.

In April of 1930, when the census was again taken, Herbert Anderson was a sergeant on the Camden Police Department. He was promoted to Lieutenant shortly thereafter, and served in that capacity until his death in November of 1939. The family lived at 496 Newton Avenue, across the street from Clara Burrough Jr. High School. During this period he served as Chief Clerk of the Police Department.

Well liked and respected by all, journalist Dan McConnell wrote of him in the November 7, 1939 edition of the Camden Courier-Post:

Sympathy: To the loved ones of Police Lieutenant Anderson we extend heartfelt sympathy... Herb was a gentleman and a fine officer who was liked by every man in his department. So few of us could hope to be so esteemed and respected, newspapermen lost a real friend.

Herbert Anderson was survived by his wife and children. His wife was still living at the Newton Avenue address as late as 1947.

Herbert Anderson's son George married Mary Ferat, daughter of former professional basketball star Eddie Ferat in October of 1935.

Camden Courier

May 13, 1918

Carteret Street - Line Street
Walnut Street - Pine Street
Division Street - South 2nd Street
Mt. Vernon Street - Newton Avenue
Herbert Anderson
Mario Spuria - Peter Perin
Alexander Stortino - Luigi Capelli
Fred Corbindone 
Antonio Bombiaso
Di Angelo Carlo

Camden Courier * April 9, 1925
Text transcribed by Phillip Cohen

April 2003

Discovery of the body of a white baby several weeks old, human bones and other gruesome articles in a maze of dungeon-like caves and sub-cellars under 413 and 415 Liberty Street today have led the police to hold without bail "Doctor" H.H. Hyghcock, 71 year-old negro preacher, medicine man and undertaker.

The weird discoveries were made in the fantastically furnished "torture chambers" and "witch caves" under the houses. In addition statements made to Patrolman Charles Naylor and a Courier reporter by a seven-year-old daughter of the accused man, point to a possibility of a woman having been murdered in the place only last week.

"Weirdest Ever" Says Tempest

The labyrinth of underground passages and chambers discovered under the houses is declared by Deputy Director Tempest to be the "strangest and weirdest layout" he ever has visited in all his long career in police work.

Twisting and narrow underground passages and half-buried doors in almost inaccessible portions of the underground passages led to a belief that many more chambers remain for the police to enter in their underground exploration.

Deputy Tempest has ordered that a complete search be made of every corner of the cellars and sub-cellars and that if necessary the two houses above be torn down to make examination possible. The earth of all the cave floors is being dug up by the police in search of further clues.

Bone of Forearm is Found

The white baby's body was found shortly before 1:00 PM today, lying in a large glass jar in one of the sub-cellars. What is believed to be the bone of a child's forearm had been found in one of the passages a short time before. In another glass jar the police found what they report to be a human stomach.

To count the rooms, or divisions, of the many underground passages is impossible, because of the irregular arrangement, up and down and in all directions. Some of the policemen engaged in the exploring task have estimated there are more than 75 different compartments.

Second Arrest is Made

While the police were exploring the place shortly after noon a colored man walked into the Liberty Street entrance and started down the tunnel leading to the underground chamber as if he were well acquainted with the place.

Arrested and taken into police custody was Louis Reeves, 23 years, 1061 Ivins Street. he had been employed as a chauffer to drive the voodoo doctor's automobile, he said, and he had been accustomed to visiting "Doctor" Hyghcock daily and being given a bottle of soda water. That was the only purpose of his visit today, he declared, and he disclaimed any knowledge of the activities of Hyghcock.

The little daughter of the "proprietor" of the strange "place of horrors" made her hair-raising statements while being questioned in regard to her father's recent activities.

"Shot a Woman"- Took Her Away

"How many people has your father killed here?" she was asked.

"He never killed nobody until last week" she replied with childish frankness. "Then he shot a woman, and he took her away in her automobile at night."

In his cell at City Hall, Hyghcock maintains an air of mysterious silence. He is of an impressive personal appearance. although below medium height, he has a proud bearing, made more compelling by his white hair, mustache and imperial.

He has boasted to acquaintances that he is the father of 32 children.

Bootblacks tell of him giving 50 cent tips.

Hyghcock was arrested last night when he appealed to police, demanding a warrant for an unknown thief about whom he told a weird tale of threats to return and kill him. Hyghcock styles himself a clergyman, physician, an undertaker, a real estate operator, a clairvoyant, a palmist, and a fortune teller.

Hyghcock was held on $500 bail early today on the charge of obtaining money under false pretenses and in an equal amount on the charge of practicing medicine without a license when arraigned before Police Judge Cleary this morning.

He could not raise the money and was held in jail.

Then, when the other discovered were made, he was held without bail.

A visit to his place by the police led to the exploration of the intricate series of underground chambers. They were separated by swinging doors operated by mechanical springs. Some of the cave-like dungeons contained weird contraptions, like ancient machinery of torture, believed to have been used in connection with "cures," is to which patients of the voodoo man were terrified.

Patient Believes In Him 

Besides Hyghcock police arrested as material witnesses Mrs. Bipp Hyghcock, 43 years old, said to be his wife, and Mrs. Lotte Ingram, also a negress, 43 years old, of 59 North Peach Street, Philadelphia.

Mrs. Ingram, who was found in the house at 413 Liberty Street, aid she was there to receive treatment for heart disease from Hyghcock. In a statement to Detective Hunt, Mrs. Ingram said she gave Hyghcock $25 as part payment for the cure of her disease, and that she had been visiting his house for several months. Upon questioning she revealed further that Hyghcock had given her herb medicines, adding that she had faith in his powers and believed she was being healed.

Hyghcock has no license to practice medicine, police say.

The revelation of the startling interior of the place and the practice of Hyghcock, at the Liberty Street houses, both of which were rented by him, was brought about when the "doctor" inquired for a magistrate to issue a warrant for a Philadelphia man who, he said, stole some automobile tools from him and threatened to return to slay him. Hyghcock made the first inquiry of Howard Westsell, 797 Mt. Vernon street, who was standing at Railroad and Kaighn Avenues at 6:00 o'clock last night. Westsell referred him to Howard Fisher, a negro policeman of the Second District, who approached the two.

Cops Take Him Home

Fisher, becoming suspicious, questioned Hyghcock, who became evasive and insisted that the officer could not aid him. Fisher placed him under arrest, summoned Policeman James McTaggert and William Prucella, of the Second District, who were in plain clothes at the time, and went to the Hyghcock house, where they were admitted.

In the house at 413 Liberty Street the policeman found Mrs. Ingram, Mrs. Hyghcock, and the latter's 7 year old daughter. The two women were sent to police headquarters for questioning.

The dingy front room of the house was heated with a glowing coal stove and dimly lighted with a flickering kerosene lamp, faintly disclosed several ancient and must articles of furniture, several dozen bottles of soda water inside a glass showcase most of whose sides were missing or broken, several mysterious looking grips, bed-clothing, bric-a-brac, and other odd articles scattered about, it suggested what might be found in the rudely constructed entrances to chambers beyond.

In the glow of their flashlights the officers made a hurried search of the premises.

Entering the kitchen the trio descended a narrow, winding cellar-way into a gloomy cellar

Tunnels Explored

McTaggart branched into one passageway, while Fisher and Prucella each chose a different path. After stumbling upon blind tunnels which ended in closets or in compartments from which there were no exits, the three officers joined into one party.

Stooping at times under low ceilings, squeezing between the sides of converging walls, jumping over pits covered with rotted trapdoors, and pushing through a seemingly endless series of doors rudely constructed of odd pieces of lumber, and each equipped with a powerful springs, the officers wormed their way through a tunnel extending 50 feet under the yard after leaving the cellar. It ended at a trapdoor in the floor of a ramshackle refuse littered woodshed in the rear of the yard.

As soon as they emerged they took Hyghcock, who had accompanied them through the tunnels, to police headquarters

Cops Go Look For More

Hyghcock, his wife, and Mrs. Ingram were placed under arrest. Captain Arthur Colsey assembled Sergeant Charles Smith and Policemen Prucella, McTaggart, Howard Fisher, Harry Kreher, William Bryant, Herbert Anderson, and John Bryant of headquarters for a needed investigation of the premises. On the way to the house the patrol picked up Officers Enoch Johnson, Charles Smith, and William Michalak.

With the arrival of the patrol a crowd gathered in front of the unkempt buildings. Bordering the gloomy houses on each side are modest, well-kept two and three story homes, inhabited by white families.

Guided by flashlights and lanterns, a long line of policemen laboriously wound through the circuitous underground passages,  scrutinizing every nook, and opening every container upon which they came.

Many Rooms Entered

At least seventy-five rooms or compartments were entered and hurriedly examined. Contents of innumerable closets and holes in walls were left undisturbed for fear that they would litter the narrow passageway and block the progress of the searchers.

In one room was found a large cartwheel daubed with dabs of white paint on each spoke. the wheel was mounted on a short upright axis set into the ground, permitting its rotation. Above the wheel was suspended a stuffed bird. The legs could be made to twitch and the wings to flap by the manipulation of a set of strings attached to them and fastened to a stick in an adjoining den.

Beside these the room contained an old iron bed, an oil lamp. and an oil stove. Other dens were similarly furnished.

Wires and Bells and Things

Closets and alcoves revealed odd collections of preserves, trinkets, charms, and indescribable odds and ends. In one closet in the kitchen of 413 Liberty Street were discovered a complicated set of improvised signaling devices. Wires attached to sticks will ring bells and unlock doors and various rooms of the house. Each door was equipped with a spring and bolts, and contained bells of various shapes and sizes.

In the rear of 413 Liberty Street partitioned with odd boards, curtains, and rags was a chapel. This room, about 10 feet wide by 13 feet long, contained an old wheezy organ, an altar, and religious pictures. Two more organs helped furnish two other rooms.

In a bedroom by the third floor of 413 Liberty Street, evidently occupied by Hyghcock, the searchers found charms sewed up in bags, odd implements, and three high silk hats.

Mrs. Hyghcock said that she her husband and daughter had occupied the two houses for eight years. Hyghcock, she said, had been working on the tunnels and underground dens for four years, carrying out earth in small quantities and depositing it in the back yards. police doubt that all the sand extracted from the subterranean dens would have been dumped in the yard, and believe that Hyghcock must have carried it away under the cover of darkness.

The Police Knew Him

A year ago Hyghcock was arrested by District Detectives David Kates and Walter Smith on Mount Ephraim Avenue near Van Hook Street. At that time he was searching for a policeman to report a hold-up. Looking into the closed automobile, the detectives found in the tonneau a bed in which lay a young negress, a lighted lantern hung from the roof, and a kerosene lamp on the floor. After questioning at police headquarters Hyghcock so changed his first story of an alleged hold-up on Kaighn Avenue and Cooper River bridge that the police disbelieved his tale.

Captain Colsey will notify the fire department today to safeguard the buildings from fire hazards and also will call to the attention of the health department the unsanitary condition of the place.

In his seventeen years completed with the police department, Captain Colsey said he has never seen such a layout.

Camden Courier-Post - January 16, 1928


Brooding over the death of his wife he was unable to see because he was in jail, Leonard White, 26 years old, 655 Chestnut Street, attempted to end his life Saturday night by drinking the contents of a bottle of poison. This morning in police court he was sentenced to 30 days in the county jail.

White was arrested by Patrolman Herbert Anderson at Eighth and Market streets. Anderson told  the court he found White lying in the street. He took him to Cooper Hospital. After being revived, White told Anderson he would again attempt to end life if he was given the chance because he wanted to be with his wife.

White denied telling Anderson he would repeat his act. He said he had been arrested before for stealing an automobile and for attempting to end his life by jumping of the Delaware River Bridge. He said he had been serving a six months term when his wife died and he had been unable to see her.


February 25, 1928

Carteret Street
Newton Avenue
Wright Avenue

Herbert Anderson
Walter Anderson
Bernard Bertman

Camden Courier-Post * January 25, 1930
John Potter - George Frost - Walter Welch - Charles Laib - Ralph Bakley - George Ward
Herbert Anderson -
Samuel Johnson - Harry Newton - Thomas Cunningham - David S. Rhone

Camden Courier-Post * January 25, 1930

Walter Welch

Ralph Bakley

Charles Laib

George Frost George Ward Clarence Thorn

Camden Courier-Post * April 9, 1930

Rhone Reported ready to Make Five Patrolmen Sergeant

Reports that five members of the Camden police department will be promoted to sergeants tomorrow were circulated, today after announcement that two sergeants had been appointed lieutenant.

Those who, according to rumors, will be elevated to sergeant are Nathan Petit, of the second police district, to be assigned to the traffic squad; Gus Koerner, detective bureau; Walter Rowand, first district; Frank Truax, Second district, and Edward Hahn, third district.

The two new lieutenants who took oath of office yesterday are Samuel Johnson and Thomas Cunningham. The former was a sergeant of police attached to the detective bureau and will continue in that department, while Cunningham, while a sergeant, was acting lieutenant in day command at the fourth district. He remains in that district, The appointments were announced yesterday by Commissioner David S. Rhone, director of public safety.

Both were immediately administered oaths of office by Dr. Rhone's secretary, Bayard M. Sullivan, at the director's office, Lieutenant Cunningham is already eligible for retirement, having served more than 20 years on the city police force.

The two appointments complete the seven lieutenancies created n by a city ordinance. Ten members of the police department passed civil service examinations for the post, which pays an annual salary of $2500. Each must serve one year as lieutenant before becoming eligible to take examination for captaincy.

The five previously appointed lieutenants are George Frost, now night commander of the fourth district; Walter Welch, third district; Charles Laib, a sub-commander of the traffic bureau under Captain Charles T. Humes, traffic Inspector; Ralph Bakley, second district; and George Ward, first district.

The other three candidates who passed the examination, Sergeants John Potter, Herbert Anderson and Harry I. Newton, did not receive lieutenancies, although Potter had the highest percentage in the tests.

Camden Courier-Post * December 11, 1930


Lewis H. Stehr  - Dr. David S. Rhone - Charles V. Dickinson
Arthur Colsey - George A. Ward - John Kowal  - Donald Swissler
Clarence Phifer - Archie Reiss - John Skolski - Herbert Anderson
Thomas Cheeseman - Harry KylerGeorge Nowrey - Frank Truax
Ralph Bakley-  Clay W. Reesman - Clifford A. Baldwin
Winfield S. Price - Clifford A. Flennard
Camden Local No. 35, P.B.A. -
Cooper Hospital - B.C. Schroeder
Broadway - Royden Street

Camden Courier-Post * December 12, 1930

Lewis H. Stehr  - Dr. David S. Rhone - Charles V. Dickinson
Arthur Colsey - George A. Ward - John Kowal  - Donald Swissler 
Clarence Phifer - Archie Reiss - John Skolski
Herbert Anderson - Thomas Cheeseman - Harry Kyler
George Nowrey - Frank Truax - Ralph Bakley - John J. Breslin 
Cooper Hospital - Rev. Edward T. Weeks
Union Methodist Episcopal ChurchB.C. Schroeder
Broadway - Royden Street - Sixth Ward Republican Club

Camden Courier-Post - October 21, 1931

Local Police Heads Greeted at State Prison

Headed by Major Charles V. Dickinson, local police officials made a tour of Inspection yesterday of the state prison at Trenton. Photo shows Colonel George L. Selby, chief deputy warden at the prison, greeting Major Dickinson and his companions at the prison gates. Left to right, those in the photo are: Patrolman John Stevenson, Lieutenant Herbert Anderson, Captain Arthur Colsey, Major Dickinson, Lieutenant George Frost, Colonel Selby, Lieutenants George Ward, Ralph Bakley and Walter Welch. The police officials were the guests of Colonel Selby at luncheon before the tour.

Camden Evening Courier - March 28, 1932


Lieutenant Herbert Anderson and patrolmen of the Fourth district, raided a house at 1812 Mulford Street early yesterday, held Hobart White, 27, colored, of that address, as the alleged proprietor, and 25 men and 6 women as material witnesses for hearing today.

White was released in $500 bail and the others in $100 bail, which was furnished by Mikey Brown and Jake Foos. 

Camden Courier Post
June 7, 1932

Roy R. Stewart - Charles T. Humes
Herbert Anderson - George Ward
Ralph Bakley - Edward Hahn
John Garrity - George Jefferis
James Wilson - Edward Carroll
John Skolski - Stiles Whitaker

Camden Courier-Post
June 18, 1932

Marie Fort - Thurman Street
George Powell - Division Street
Harry Wilson - Pine Street
Edward Mellon - Elm Street
George Devon - Walnut Street
George Philip - South 3rd Street
Herbert Anderson
Edward Carroll
William Schultz
William Whaland

The material witness all appear to have given false addresses and in all likelihood false names.

Camden Courier Post * November 3, 1932

Herbert Anderson - Robert Ashenfelter - Walter Smith - John Trout - South 6th Street - Harry Kyler
Humphrey Toomey - Frank McClernan

Camden Courier-Post * December 21, 1932

George Clayton
Robert I. Mears
Herbert Anderson
Blaine Street
Louis Shaw



Camden Courier-Post
January 12, 1933

Allen's Court - Judson PlaceLinwood Street - Herbert Anderson - Walter Smith - John Trout

Camden Courier-Post - February 2, 1933

Suspended Jail Sentence is Given Operator
Where 17 Were Taken in Raid

Pleading non vult to charge of operating a 'numbers" headquarters raided by the police last July, Dominic Olivette, 28, of 444 Royden street, was fined $100 and given a suspended sentence of six months in criminal court yesterday.

Olivette was arrested by a detail of police led by former Director of Public Safety Charles V. Dickinson and Lieutenant George Frost when they captured 17 men in the Royden street house.

In police court the day following the raid Olivette was fined $100 by Judge Garfield Pancoast on charges of violating Section 422 of the city ordinances prohibiting disorderly persons from congregating in a building.

Olivette paid the fine and was later indicted by the grand jury following an investigation by Prosecutor Clifford A. Baldwin. Judge Shay, in imposing the fine, refused Olivette's plea that he be allowed to pay the sum on installments.

One other man charged with "numbers' writing was fined $100 with the privilege of paying at a $2 weekly rate. He is Herbert Lantry, 35, of 519 Ray street, arrested by Lieutenant Herbert Anderson November 26. He was held for the grand jury by Judge Pancoast when arraigned in police court.

Camden Courier-Post - February 11, 1933

It's' Agin the Law' To Sell Rum Here Without a License

Somebody opened a "store" at 15 South Fourth Street yesterday, without the formality of first obtaining a “soft drink license’.

Lieutenant Herbert Anderson and District Detectives Walter Smith and John Trout were the first customers. They entered the place after reading that chicken dinners could be purchased for 20 cents. But, according to police, "they didn't find an  egg" in the place.

But what they did find was an improvised bar, a quantity of whisky and several cases of home brew. They dumped the liquor, they said, and told the proprietor to "close up until he got a license." They didn't bother with the name.

Camden Courier-Post - June 3, 1933

Judge Pancoast Proves to 2
Honesty Is Best Policy

If there’s anything Police Judge Pancoast doesn’t like it's to have people trying to fool him, he said. So yesterday Pancoast sent two alleged speakeasy inmates to jail for 6o days and gave the confessed proprietor only 50 days.

Emil Hatter, 35, of 829 Carpenter Street, was arrested for violating the ordinance prohibiting congregation of disorder1y persons on the premises by Lieutenant Herbert Anderson Thursday. Hatter told the court that he was proprietor and was in the illegal liquor business to provide for his two children.

"That's no excuse," said the judge, "you should provide for them without breaking the law."

He fined Hatter $50 and sentenced him to 50 days when he was unable to pay. The judge then turned to Edward Mackay, 38, of 531 Ray Street, and Alfred Brooks, 45, of 700 Pearl Street, who, Andersen said, were drunk in Hatter's establishment.

Both men admitted having a few drinks, elsewhere, but insisted they were sober and that they did not buy the drinks from Hatter.

"I'm good and tired of having peop1e trying to fool me," said Pancoast. "I don't know what they take me for. I'm going to end it, though, by giving each of you 60 days."

Unable to pay a fine of $100, George Young, 29, colored, 954 South Ninth Street, was sentenced to 100 days when he pleaded guilty to operating a "wash­boiler" still in violation of the city speakeasy ordinance. His wife, Ethel, 19, and Annie Fussel, 37, of 614 Chestnut Street, alleged inmates, were given 30 days each in default of $25 fines. 

Camden Courier-Post - June 6, 1933


Samuel Thompson, 70, and his brother, Henry, 57, of 433 Riley Street, were arrested late last night when police raided their home and seized a 150-gallon still and a quantity of mash.

They were held for violation of the city disorderly house ordinance and will be arraigned in police court today. The raid was made by Lieutenant Herbert Anderson and Detectives Walter Smith, John Trout and Harry Kyler.

Camden Courier-Post - June 10, 1933


An Atlantic City woman was fined $25 by Police Judge Pancoast yesterday when she was accused by Police Lieutenant Herbert Anderson of being "the worst woman I have ever met."

Miss Helen Hancock, 30, of 602 Atlantic Avenue, Atlantic City, was charged with drunkenness and pleaded guilty. Lieutenant Anderson said she ran against a wall and fell down and when he tried to take her to the hospital she kicked him in the stomach and cursed him.

Anderson also testified that she refused treatment at Cooper Hospital and cursed all the doctors and nurses. The woman said she did not remember anything about the incident.

Camden Courier-Post - June 19, 1933


Two men and a woman were arrested by police in a raid Saturday night on an alleged disorderly house at 610 South Second street. Freddy M. West, 34, and Mattie Watson, both of that address, were held in $500 bail each. West was charged with being the proprietor, and the Watson woman held as a material witness, along with Thomas R. Bunting, 62, of 560 Highland Boulevard, Gloucester. The raid was made by Lieutenant Herbert Anderson and Detectives Walter Smith, John Trout and Harry Kyler. The defendants will be arraigned in police court this morning. 

Camden Courier-Post - June 23, 1933

Economy Test Trip Starts In Camden 

Above shows the start of an economy test for a new model Ford V-8 at City Hall Plaza on an Inter-city trip. Left to right, are: Benjamin Coley, Ford salesman; J. W. Zwicker, of the Ford Motor Company, 
Detroit; Edgar F. Myers, sales manager of Camden Motor Company; John B. Welsh, Jr., state motor vehicle agent; De Motte Eggie, Ford dealer, and Commissioner Clay W. Reesman

Stock Model Leaves Camden for Up-state Jaunt; Official Log to Be Kept

A demonstration of the economy features of the new Ford V-8 began yesterday when a stock model was started on an intercity trip from City Hall Plaza.

Commissioner Clay W. Reesman was the official starter and signed and sealed the starting time. The car, a regular De Luxe model, was set in motion at 10.30 a. m. and headed for Atlantic City for the first lap. From there the car will, proceed to Asbury Park, Trenton and return to Camden. 

Brief ceremonies marked the departure of the car. The purpose of the run is to emphasize the economy features of the new car. A log will he kept, recording hourly mileage and gasoline and oil consumption. 

Among those attending the starting ceremonies were John B. Welsh Jr., state motor vehicle agent; De Motte Eggie, Ford dealer; Edgar F. Myers, sales manager of Camden Motor Company; T. B. Matthews, Camden office manager for the Keystone Automobile Club; J. W. Zwicker, Ford Motor Company representative, and Police Lieutenant Herbert Anderson

Camden Courier-Post
Evening Courier - September 10, 1934

Photograph taken at the funeral of Detective William Feitz, the first Camden police officer to be killed in the line of duty.

Police officials at the funeral service. 
Left to right: 
Lt. Herbert Anderson,
Chief of Police Arthur Colsey,
Lt. Ralph Bakley
E. Howard Broome,
secretary to Mayor Roy R. Stewart,
Lt. George A. Ward

Click on Image to Enlarge

Camden Courier-Post
Evening Courier - September 11, 1934



Arthur Colsey - Ralph Bakley - William T. Feitz - Frank T. Lloyd - Samuel P. Orlando - Emma Heisler
George Ward - Michael Tenerelli aka Mickey Blair - John Garrity - J. Harry Switzer
Walter S. Mattison - Edward Leonard - Richard Cornog - George Weber - Joseph Leonhardt
Leon Branch - Thomas Cheeseman - Frank Wilmot - John Houston - Vernon Jones
John Potter - Walter Welch - Herbert Anderson


Calls for 100% Efficiency and Promises Square Deal for All in Talk to Commanders; Stresses Fact Colsey is Chief

 “I want 100% efficient police department and not a political machine.”

 Commissioner Mary W. Kobus, new director of public safety, made that declaration yesterday afternoon at a joint police-press conference in her office at city hall before she was served with a writ restraining her from taking that office.

 Commissioner Kobus was the kindly mother talking to her “boys” for the most of the conference- but at times she became the stern parent-  with the birchrod in the cupboard- as she instructed the police heads to “divorce themselves from politics.”

 “For many years I have nursed in my heart a desire to see Camden with a 100% efficient police department”, the commissioner said. “Now that time is at hand.”

 “I have known all of you men for many years,” she told the assembled commanders, “and I don’t care what your respective political affiliations might be. You have a right to you opinions, but I want the police department to divorce itself from politics.

 . “You must know what is going on in your city and you must let me know. I must have 100 percent cooperation if I am to succeed in this new undertaking. 

“If you have any complaints, don’t go around and growl, undermining the department. Lay your cards on the table, I guarantee you a fair deal.

 “Chief Colsey is head of the police department and not in name only. You others in the rank you occupy are also commanders in fact and not in name. It is up to you.”

 The commissioner urged a closer co-operation between police and the press and concluded by saying she wanted her “family” to be honest-to-goodness policemen “because there is no room in the department for those who are not.”

 Attending the conference was Chief Arthur Colsey, Lieutenant Herbert Anderson, chief clerk of the bureau; Lieutenants George Frost, Ralph Bakley, Walter Welch, Samuel E. Johnson and George Ward.

Camden Courier-Post - October 29, 1935

George Anderson To Wed Mary Ferat In Camden Church

The marriage of Miss Mary Eloise Ferat, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward C. Ferat, of 1476 Kaighn avenue, and George Henry Anderson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Anderson, of 496 Newton avenue, will take place this evening in the Centenary-Tabernacle Church, Fifth and Cooper streets.

The ceremony will be performed at seven o'clock by Rev. John Pemberton, Jr., pastor of the church.  Grant Harden, of this city, will play the wedding march and accompany Mrs. Vernon Jorgenson, of  Philadelphia, in vocal solos.

The bride will be given in marriage by her father. She will wear a lovely gown of ivory-toned wedding ring velvet made entrain. Her veil of ivory toned tulle falls from a coronet and she will carry a shower bouquet of chrysanthemums.

Mrs. John Bachman, of Harrisburg, Pa., will be her cousin's matron of honor while Miss Margaret  Jones, of Merchantville, will be maid of honor and Mrs. George A. Restrick and Miss Anne  Anderson, sister of the bridegroom, both of Camden, will be bridesmaids. They will wear velvet gowns with matching accessories, Mrs. Bachman in sapphire blue and carrying maize chrysanthemums; Miss  Jones in rust and carrying bronze chrysanthemums and the bridesmaids in emerald green and carrying  orchid chrysanthemums. Mary Ann Tweedy, of this city, as flower, girl will wear a frock of yellow  pleated net and carry a basket of baby chrysanthemums.

Mr. Anderson will be best man for his son and ushers will include: Solomon Walls, of Dover, Del.,  uncle of the bridegroom; John Bachman, of Harrisburg, and George Restrick, of this city.

Mrs. Ferat will be gowned in wine colored velvet and wear a corsage of gardenias, while Mrs.  Anderson will wear sapphire blue velvet with gardenias.

A reception will be held at the Hotel Walt Whitman, which also will be in observance of the silver  wedding anniversary of the bride's parents. Following, Mr. Anderson and his bride will leave on a tour  of the Southern States. They will be at home after November 15, at the Kaighn avenue address..



 Temporary changes in the police department to offset the absence of Lieutenant George Frost, head of the First District, who is ill, and Lieutenant George Ward, of headquarters, who is away on police business, were announced yesterday by Chief Arthur Colsey. 

Sgt. John Potter, of the Third District, is made acting lieutenant and placed in charge of the First. Patrolman Louis Schmidt, of the Third, replaces Potter as acting sergeant.

Lieutenant Herbert Anderson, of the Fourth District, replaces Ward at headquarters, with Sgt. John Skolski acting as lieutenant in charge of the Fourth.

Sgt. Gustav Koerner, of the Second District, who has been working in plain clothes, Is to report in uniform.

Patrolman John Kowal, of the Second District, is shifted to the First district, with Patrolman William Schultz going from the First district to the Second district. 

Camden Courier-Post * February 14, 1938

Barber Indicted in Murder Cuts Patrolman With Shattered Plate

Sam Bosco, Camden barber indicted and arrested on a murder charge last Friday, went temporarily berserk in the city jail late Saturday, police revealed yesterday.

In a fit of nerves and rage, according to the police, the heavy-set prisoner flung a platter of food in the face of the jailer, Policeman William Michalak, who had opened Bosco's cell to give him a hot meal he brought from a nearby restaurant.

Bosco then menaced the jailer with a jagged fragment of the platter that shattered on the cell floor. Michalak rang an alarm which attracted Police Lieut. Herbert Anderson, Detective Thomas Murphy, Motorcycle Policeman Marshall Thompson, Sgt. Gus Koerner and Policeman James McLaughlin from the adjacent police headquarters in City Hall.

Anderson and Murphy went into the cell tier at the end of which Bosco stood, still brandishing the piece of broken dish. After grabbing his arms, they led him back to his cell. He offered no resistance.

"I was excited," he told them later.