GEORGE ZEITZ was born around 1893 in Pennsylvania to Frederick W. and Clara Zeitz. The Zeitz family later came to New Jersey. After serving in World War I, George Zeitz returned home to live with his mother, father, and brother Thomas at 118 Geneva Avenue in Haddon Township NJ. George Zeitz then was working in elevator construction, while his father listed his occupation for the January  1920 Federal Census as "Shipping Meat".

By 1923 George Zeitz had married Jennie Maguire. Their daughter Clara was born in around 1924. By January of 1930 George Zeitz had joined the Camden Police Department. The 1930 Federal Census, taken in April of that year, shows the Zeitz family living at 641 Grant Street in North Camden. Mother-in-law Jennie Maguire, then 75, also lived with them.

George Zeitz was traveling in a police radio car with Detective Edwin T. Mills  when a bus collided with their vehicle on March 16, 1943 at Broadway and Mickle Street. Both officers were injured.

George Zeitz was promoted to Detective by May of 1934. He was still on the force in 1947, according to the Camden City Directory for that year. At that time he was living at 340 Kaighn Avenue in South Camden, with a second wife, Helen L. Zeitz.

George and Helen Zeitz do not appear in the 1959 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory for Camden County. It appears that may have passed away by that time. His wife Helen died in January of 1981.

Camden Courier-Post - January 16, 1928

Woman Storekeeper Is Knocked Down by Two Bandits Who Empty Cash Register
Thief Takes Bottle of Pre-War Stuff in Looting House Downtown


Entering a grocery store at Van Hook and Seventh Streets under the pretense of being customers, two men knocked Mrs. Mary Maska, the proprietor, to the floor this morning an robbed the cash register of $162.

Recovering from the blow, delivered by one of the pair, the woman telephoned police, who immediately set up guards at the entrance to the bridge and at the ferry terminals, apparently in the belief that the thugs were from Philadelphia.

The men were described by Mrs. Maska as colored, both small in stature. One was shabbily dressed, wearing a torn overcoat, she said. The other was neatly garbed. Both wore caps.

The robbery occurred at 9 o’clock this morning and a1thougth Mrs. Maska screamed for help after the men had fled, no help came City Detectives George Ward and Thomas Cheeseman arrived at the scene in response to her call to police headquarters.

The men entered the store; where Mrs. Maska was alone and one tendered her a quarter in supposed payment for a small quantity of bologna. This was done, detective. Believe, in order to give the men an opportunity to see the contents of the cash drawer in the cash register. In ringing up the quarter, Mrs. Maska revealed that there was a quantity of paper money in this drawer.

The second of the bandits then asked for a cigar and Mrs. Maska left the cash register for another part of the store. As she did so, one of the men struck her on the head and then looted the cash till.

Got Pre-War Liquor

Several bottles of pre-war liquor were among the loot taken by burglars who broke Into the home of William Bonstedt, 510 Clinton Street, during the absence of the family over the weekend. In addition to the liquor, the thieves got several  articles of jewelry and $20 in cash. The robbery was discovered when the family returned from the seashore last night.

Mrs. Mary Gushue, proprietor of a boarding house at 423 Walnut Street, reported $80 stolen from a bureau drawer.

Police also discovered that the home of Wilfred Kaighn, 567 Benson Street, had been entered and ransacked dur­ing the family’s absence at Pittsburgh. Until Kaighn returns, it will be impossible to determine how much loot was taken, detectives said.

James O’Donnell, 31 years old, 545 Penn Street, was arrested yesterday after he was seen breaking into a tool house at Baird and Crescent Boulevards.

When O’Donnell was arrested by George Zeitz, a patrolman, he was found to have in his possession a sweater he had taken from the shed which contained supplies from a build­ing operation nearby. A companion with O’Donnell  escaped according to Zeitz.

Camden Courier-Post - June 4, 1932

Benjamin Simon - Roy R. Stewart - John W. Golden - George Zeitz - William Taylor
Clifford A. Baldwin - Walter Keown - L. Scott Cherchesky - Garfield S. Pancoast
Charles Wilder - Liberty Street

Camden Courier-Post * June 6, 1932

John Trout - Joseph Carpani - George Ward - George Zeitz - Howard Smith
Al Dubowski - George Rumble - Frank Marcone - Bernard Franz - Robert Tully

Broadway - South 2nd Street - Fillmore Street - Kaighn Avenue

Camden Courier-Post - June 6, 1932

Camden Courier-Post - June 11, 1932

Russell "Buck" Sage - George Zeitz - Harry "Gyp" Waterhouse - John Golden 
Raymond O'Connor - Joey O'Connor - Harry Simon - Benjamin Simon - Oliver J. Stetser 

Camden Courier-Post - February 1, 1933

Phila. Police Grill Camden Youth, Doubt Guilt


Rahway Inmate Quizzed by Detective for Key to Murders

As Philadelphia police grilled one Camden youth last night in the triple vice-den laying there Thursday midnight another manhunt in this city was launched-this time for a widely known police character, reputed gunman and white slaver. The youth under questioning for the killing of a policeman and two men inmates of a disorderly house at 406 North Ninth street, Philadelphia, is Joseph Burgo, 19, of 304 Cherry street.

He was taken into custody at his home yesterday by Detectives Daniel Mahoney and Hugh McCann, of the Philadelphia murder squad, and George Zeitz and Clifford Del  Rossi, of Camden. Burgo denied knowledge of the killings and willingly accompanied the detectives to Philadelphia for questioning.

Despite the fact that Detective Capt. Harry D. Heanly, head of the murder squad announced his belief last night that Burgo had nothing to do with the triple slayings, the youth was still being held at Philadelphia police headquarters.

Rahway Inmate Questioned

Heanly visited the New Jersey Reformatory, at Rahway Yesterday, where he spent more than an hour talking to Joseph Mazzare, alleged white slaver and one of the sweethearts of Mrs. Sue Ricci, 22, Camden girl slain in the disorderly house and  the one police believe caused the shootings. Mazzare, serving an indeterminate sentence for carrying concealed weapons, was shot by Burgo in & South Camden poolroom several months ago. At that time Burgo told police he was drunk and did not know what he was doing. Burgo later was fined $100 by Judge Charles Rigg after pleading guilty to the charge.

Heanly refused last night to divulge what information if any, he had received from Mazzare.

'Never Saw Her Before'

Burgo yesterday told Acting Police Chief John W. Golden that he was not acquainted with Sue Ricci.  

"I never saw her in my life until the day Mazzare was shot and came to the hospital to see him, Burgo declared. "I haven't seen her since. I know nothing about the murders in Philadelphia.”

According to the police theory, the motive for the murders was jealousy.

The slayer shot the Ricci woman because she deserted him and went to Philadelphia; killed Yetta Cohen, the proprietor, when she interfered, murdered Patrolman Frederick Dolan when he tried to prevent his escape.

Camden police attached no particular importance to the questioning of Burgo. At the same time there were reports Heanly was busy in Camden hunting for the killer.

According to reliable reports, the slayer is a South Camden racketeer identified with a Camden-Philadelphia white slave ring. It is understood he is in hiding somewhere in Camden or South Jersey. Police have been informed of a mysterious motorist, making daily trips to Philadelphia. They are attempting to locate him in the hope that he will lead them to the hideaway.

Dolan's fellow policemen attended his funeral yesterday.

Camden Courier-Post - February 2, 1933

Suspect in Triple Murder Held in 'Cold storage'; Girl Victim Buried

Benjamin "Benny" Meinster, held in connection with the triple Philadelphia vice den killings last Thursday, has obtained a writ of habeas corpus, returnable today, to show why he should be held. 

Meinster, latest so-called "sweetie" of Sue Ricci, Camden girl and one of the victims, was arrested Tuesday and has been held in "cold storage" since that time while detectives have attempted to learn if he had any connection with the killings.

The Ricci woman, 22 and redheaded, was shot to death by a jealous gunman who invaded a North Nin th street house in Philadelphia, armed with two guns. Mrs. Yetta Cohen, 40, the proprietress, was killed when she interfered and Patrolman Frederick Dolan was murdered when he tried to arrest the slayer.

Meinster, who lives at Sixth and South streets, was said by the police to be the man who stole Sue away from the gunman who did the shooting. He denied any knowledge of the case.

Meanwhile, they released Joseph Burgo, 20, of 304 Cherry street, Camden, who was questioned Tuesday. Burgo satisfied the police he was innocent of any connection with the case. He was under suspicion, detectives said, because he shot and wounded Joseph Mazzare, another of Sue's sweethearts, now in jail for carrying concealed weapons. 

Services for Mrs. Ricci, mother of a 5-year-old son, Albert, Jr., were held from the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Michael Marino, 1917 South Fourth street. Rev. Martin S. Stockett, rector of the Episcopal Church of Our Savior, Broadway and Viola street, officiated. Burial was in New Camden Cemetery.

The body of the dead girl lay on a white couch-casket. The room was banked with flowers. Members of the family sobbed as the minister read the brief services of the church. Outside, the idle curious and friends lined both sides of Fourth street. One hundred automobiles were strung along the curb to take those who cared to go to the cemetery. 

Policemen in uniform and Camden and Philadelphia detectives who mingled with the crowd in the hope of picking up some clue, estimated that at least 700 persons were in attendance. The Camden detectives were George Zeitz and Clifford Del  Rossi, and County Detective Fiore Troncone

Camden Courier-Post - February 9, 1933


Charged with loitering with intent to steal three Liberty Park youths will be given hearings in police court today. 

They are John Milena, 20, of 1244 Whitman avenue; John Malik, 15, of 1295 Everett street, and Edward Bukowski, 17, of 1507 Norris street. They were arrested by Detective George Zeitz.

Prior to their arrest 900 cigars were stolen from the parked automobile of Edward Spiegel, 1500 Bradley Avenue. Zeitz said the youths were near the car.

Camden Courier-Post * Evening Courier
May 16, 1933


A home and an office in South Camden were entered by burglars last night, according to reports made to the detective bureau today.

James P. Smith, manager of the Fuller Brush Company, Fourth and Jefferson Streets, reported brushes valued at $75 were taken. Detectives George Zeitz and Clifford Del Rossi learned a cellar window had been forced.

Mrs. Mary Walsh, 1043 Pine Street, reported clothing valued at $50 taken from her residence. Detective Edwin Mills, reported a pass key had been used to gain entrance.

Camden Courier-Post - June 3, 1933

W. C. Apgar, Chief of Gloucester Detectives, Names State Trooper
George Hayes, Off Duty, Sought After Attack

W. CLAYTON APGAR- Chief of Gloucester County Detectives, who was found beaten almost unconscious at Bridge plaza last night and accused State Trooper George Hayes, of Swedesboro barracks, according to Camden detectives who questioned Apgar at Cooper Hospital. 

W. Clayton Apgar, chief of Gloucester county detectives, was found beaten almost unconscious in an automobile at Bridge Plaza at 11 o'clock last night.

He accused State Trooper George Hayes, of Swedesboro, of attacking him while both were on a "party" last night. Hayes could not be found. Apgar, one of the best known police officials in South Jersey, was admitted to Cooper Hospital, suffering profuse cuts, bruises, shock, two teeth knocked out and two others loose.

Almost insensible, Apgar in his passenger sedan, passed two red lights in driving to the plaza, according to Acting Sergeant Isaac Smith, of bridge police, and upon questioning, was barely able to produce his credentials. Smith said Apgar was rapidly losing consciousness and said he didn't wish to make a

complaint. Smith summoned Bridge Motorcycle Policeman Aubrey Harper.

Harper drove Apgar to the hospital in a bridge car while Smith notified Camden detective headquarters.

Apgar was unconscious arriving at the hospital. Ten minutes later he became partly awake and was questioned by City Detectives George Zeitz and Leon Branch.

Accuses Trooper

Zeitz and Branch said Apgar first told them he was bringing a prisoner from Philadelphia when the prisoner hit him and escaped.

Later, they said, Apgar said he was hit by a "trooper from Swedesboro barracks," but would give no reason.

Apgar said he did not know the trooper's name.

Zeitz telephoned Swedesboro state police headquarters, learned from Corporal Waldinger, in charge, that the only trooper off last night was Hayes and that he would not return to duty until 8 a. m. today.

Zeitz said he asked Apgar if Trooper Hayes was the one who beat him. Zeitz said Apgar replied: "Yes, that's the one,"

Say Apgar Was Dazed

Waldinger sent word several troopers would go to Cooper hospital early today to take over the investigation.

Zeitz and Branch said Apgar had not been drinking. They said he was "still in a daze" while they were questioning him·

Apgar, rated as one of the most skillful detectives in New Jersey, won his spurs in the famous Lilliendahl case. At that time he was a state trooper. Since taking over the county detective office at Woodbury, he was credited with a succession of solutions in crime affairs with a large percentage of convictions.

He lives with his wife and child at 612 Delaware Street, Woodbury, and has been identified with Democratic political circles in Gloucester County. 

Camden Courier-Post - Evening Courier - June 3, 1933


Thieves who used a ladder to remove a second-story window from Corbett's Kut Price Drug Store, 725 Broadway, were frightened away early yesterday when the window crashed.

Mrs. Prossie Corbett, proprietor of the store, asleep in her bedroom in another part of the building, told the police she heard no noise.

The ladder, recently used by painters at the store, was discovered by David Hawkes, a private watchman in the neighborhood, at 4 a. m. He called the police and Detectives Leon Branch and George Zeitz responded. According to them, the thieves removed the window by using a brace and bit.

Walter Migala, 1482 South 9th Street, reported to the police that his wrist watch was stolen from the living room of his home while his family was away Thursday night. Entrance had been gained by forcing a rear window. 

Camden Courier-Post - Evening Courier - June 4, 1933


A suspect, released a week ago in connection with the $11,000 Camden Radio Condenser Company holdup, was rearrested Saturday and held in $3000 bail on a charge of robbing an East Camden bar.

The accused is Stanley Powell, 26, of 1256 Whitman Avenue, alleged to have stolen, with the help of two other men of unknown identity, a marble machine and 100 cigars from Marty's Olde Tappe Room, operated at 1990 Federal Street by Marty Segal.

Powell pleaded not guilty.

City Detective, George Zeitz testified that he learned that Powell's new expensive car had been seen near the taproom early on Thursday, when the robbery occurred. Zeitz said he obtained this information after Powell had been quizzed and released in the radio firm holdup.

Upon further investigation, Zeitz asserted, he found a witness, Daniel Danter, 1985 Carman Street, who allegedly saw Powell and two other men carrying "something" from the store and loading it in the car. Zeitz, according to Zeitz, identified Powell. Elwood Cox, of 1981 Carman Street, is alleged by Zeitz to ha ve seen Powell's car in that neighborhood on the morning of the robbery, but didn't know any of the men in it. 

Acting Police Judge James Smith fixed the amount of bail.

Camden Courier-Post - June 5, 1933

Kidnap Suspect


One of three South Camden youths who is accused of kidnapping and robbing Byron P. Cobb, the "Sun Doctor." Cobb told police he was slugged and robbed of $4700 early yesterday. 

Man, Robbed, Left in Road By Kidnappers
Byron P. Cobb Beaten by Autoists; Roll of $4700 Taken

Byron P. Cobb, 62, the "Sun Doctor," was kidnapped by three , men early yesterday, beaten and robbed of $4700 before, being tossed from moving automobile in Farnham Park.

Detectives found him in a sub­conscious condition laying in the middle of River Drive, after a motorist had heard his moans and notified police.

Three South Camden youths, arrested for a motor violation at about the time Cobb was found; later were identified by the awn­ing manufacturer as the ones who kidnapped and robbed him. They are Primo Fioravanti, 20, of 435 Division Street; Anthony Scanalvilli, 20, of 326 Division Street, and John Piliere, 19, of 1130 South 3rd Street.

All are being held on charges of kidnapping, atrocious assault and battery and highway robbery. They will be given a hearing today in police court. Later a charge of larceny of an automobile was placed against them.

Cobb, who for many years operated an awning manufacturing shop at Fifth and Royden Streets, told police he met the three who robbed him in a restaurant near Broadway and Kaighn Avenue. He said he bought them food and in return they offered to take him to his home in their automobile. 'This was shortly before 2 a.m.

He said two of the men were dressed in brown suits and the third wore a "greenish blue suit." All wore light hats.

As soon as he entered the machine, Cobb told Detectives George Zeitz and Leon Branch, who found him in the park, someone hit him over the head.

Two of the men then went through his clothing and took the $4700 from his pockets. He told police, that he drew the money from his bank yesterday and intended to pay off a mortgage on a property today.  

The men held Cobb, he told police, until they reached Farnham Park, where he was tossed out of the machine as the driver slowed up.

A few minutes after 2 a. m., William P. Tyler, of 1493 Greenwood Avenue, driving past the park, heard someone shout "murder" several times. He hurried to a telephone and called police headquarters .

Found In Roadway

Detectives Zeitz and Branch searched the section where Tyler had heard the shouts. Then they drove down through River Drive, where they discovered Cobb lying in the middle of the roadway.

The injured man was taken to Cooper Hospital where he was revived, and then to detective head quarters.

Meanwhile Motorcycle Patrolmen George Getley and Earl Stopfer stopped a car at Mt. Ephraim and Ferry Avenues, which had aroused their suspicions as it sped down Mt. Ephraim Avenue.

Piliere was driving the machine and could not produce either a registration card or driver's license. He said he had borrowed the car from a man he knew as "Pete.'"

The car was claimed yesterday by Pietro Tocco, 35, of 717 South Fourth Street. He told Zeitz and Branch the car had been stolen from in front of his home "sometime around 2 a. m." yesterday.

Piliere and his pals were taken to police headquarters where the former was booked on a motor-vehicle charge. When police found two pieces of rubber hose in the rear of the machine, all three were taken to detective headquarters.

There Cobb identified them as the three who had robbed him. He pointed out Fioravanti, the only one 'with a previous police record, as the man who hit him' on the head.

Police held all three without bail for the hearing before Judge Pancoast.

At the Cobb home yesterday, Mrs. Byron P. Cobb said she knew nothing about the holdup. She said Cobb "appeared to have a headache when he got up," but failed to mention anything was wrong and left the house before her return from church.

All of the suspects deny the robbery, They said they took a friend to his home in Woodlynne and were en route to their homes in Camden. when arrested.

Piliere told Detectives Zeitz and Branch that he "borrowed the car from his uncle," whom he only knew as "Pete."  

Camden Courier-Post - June 6, 1933

Beaten Awning Maker Says $47, Not $4700, Was Taken From Pocket

Three men accused of kidnapping, beating and robbing Byron P. Cobb, 62, of 427 Benson Street, yesterday were held without bail for the grand jury by Police Judge Pancoast after they pleaded not guilty.

They gave their names as Premo Fioravanti, 20, of 435 Division Street; Anthony Scanavelli, 20, of 326 Division Street, and John Piliere, 19, of 1130 South Third Street.

Piliere also was sentenced to 15 days in jail in default of $100 tine when he pleaded guilty to operating an automobile without driver's or owner's licenses.

Cobb, who for many years operated an awning business at Fifth and Royden streets and through it became nicknamed "The Sun Doctor," first told the police he had been robbed of $4700 but yesterday said the amount was only $47.

Cobb was found in a semi-conscious condition lying on River Drive in Farnham Park early Sunday. The suspects, arrested later for a traffic violation, were identified by Cobb at police headquarters, the police said. They are charged with assault and battery, robbery and forcing Cobb into their· machine.

According to Cobb, he was so badly dazed after the attack he could not think clearly. He said he thought he had the $4700, which he drew from a bank to pay a mortgage, but later found it at home. He said he had only about $47.

After the suspects pleaded not guilty through their attorney, C. Lawrence Gregorio, no testimony was taken, but Detective George Zeitz, offered a statement made by Cobb shortly after he was revived.

It read:

"I left home at 8 p. m. Saturday and made three stops before I went to a place at Broadway and Liberty Street. I left there about an hour later and met this man (Fioravanti) at Broadway and Kaighn Avenue. He is the man who asked me to get in the car and told me he would take me home.

"Shortly after that I was hit and I don't remember any more.

"When I left home at 8 o'clock I had three $500 bills, two $100 bills and three $1000 bills in my vest pocket, loose. When I fell, I heard someone say; 'Get the money,' and Primo and another boy with a panama hat got the money from me. I don't remember any more until I was found by the officers." .  

Camden Courier-Post - June 14, 1933
Police Believe Hunt for Racket Headquarters Ended; 4 Are Arrested

A three-month search for "number's" headquarters in Camden was believed ended today when 
detectives raided a florist shop at 1409 Mt. Ephraim avenue, seized seven adding machines, thousands of dollars worth of sales slips and arrested four men. 

Joseph Klosterman, 34, of 1413 Mt. Ephraim Avenue, whom the police believe operated the "bank," was included in a quartet arrested by a squad under command of Sergeant of Detectives Louis Shaw

Responding to an anonymous tip that the numbers men were gathered in a rear room of the store, Shaw, together with Detectives Clarence Arthur, George Zeitz and John Kaighn, surrounded the place.

The others arrested in the raid gave their names as Charles Selanski, 23, of 1286 Sheridan Street; Leon Babrowski, 22, of 1209 Lansdowne Avenue, and Frank Gromacki, 27, of 1411 Mt. Ephraim Avenue. Several "pickup men," who have been arrested while carrying money and numbers slips, according to Shaw, were linked with the ring. The principals, however, had managed to escape detection. 

The flower shop, Shaw said, is operated by Joseph Haleski, and was used as a "blind" for the lottery racket.

Klosterman was released last night in $1000 bail for a hearing today on a charge of operating a numbers lottery. The others were all released in $100 cash security as material witnesses..

Camden Courier-Post - June 25, 1933
Hundreds of Children Will Join Organizations in Pyne Poynt Program

Route of the annual Fourth of July parade of the Pyne Poynt Athletic Association was announced last night. The event, one of the out standing Independence Day programs in South Jersey, promises to surpass any previous undertaking of the association.

Hundreds of school children and organizations are planning to march. The line will form on Erie Street, west of Seventh, turn south on Seventh street to York, east on Eighth, south to State, east to Ninth, south to Vine, west to Eighth, south to Elm, west to Sixth, north to State, west to Fifth, north to Grant, west to Fourth, north to York, east to Fifth, north to Bailey, east to Sixth, north to Byron street and then enter Pyne Poynt Park.

Named as parade marshal is Isaac Kyler, while John R. Schultz again will have charge of school children. William Hughes and George Zeitz will serve as assistant marshals. The Pyne Poynt Garden Club is planning to march and compete for a share of the 250 prizes to be awarded. Among the awards will be a token for the best decorated home in the Tenth Ward. A meeting of the committee in charge is to be held at 7.30 p. m. tonight at 939 North Fifth Street,to discuss plans for raising funds in the First Ward.

Camden Courier-Post - June 29, 1933

 Louis Fox, 23, of 2406 Federal Street, whose unsuccessful attempt at suicide landed him in Cooper Hospital suffering from inhaling gas fumes, is out of danger.

The young man was found unconscious at his apartment Tuesday with a gas jet open in the room. Detectives Louis Schlamm and Richard Donnelly took him to the hospital where he was questioned by Detective George Zeitz.

Fox will be arraigned before Police Judge Pancoast upon his release from the hospital, according to Zeitz. 

Camden Courier-Post - June 29, 1933
Landlord, Seeking Rent, Denies He Intended to Shoot Tenant

 Residents along the 900 block on Howard Street were thrown into a turmoil at 9:15 a.m. yesterday by a reported shooting, after a woman, screaming for help, ran from her home and fainted on the street.

The police arrested Charles Bensley, 73, of 936 Howard Street, charged with threatening to kill Mrs. Anna Morgan, 55, of 934 Howard Street, and carrying  concealed deadly weapons.         

A few minutes later Police Judge Pancoast held Bensley without bail for the grand jury. He admitted having the pistol at the hearing, but. had denied possession of the weapon when first arrested.

"Were you going to shoot her?" the court asked.

"No,“ Bensley replied, "I don't know what made me do this, I think I'm half-crazy. I own the house and wanted to collect the rent or make her move."

When Motorcycle Patrolmen Russell Young and George Getley arrived in front of Bensley's home, 100 neighbors were crowding the street outside.

Bensley, they said, eluded them and ran out the front door after pretending to make for the back. He was grabbed by August Hasher, 41, of 217 Erie street, a bystander.

Meanwhile, a motorist had taken the unconscious Mrs. Morgan to Cooper Hospital when she fainted in front of. her home. She was questioned at the hospital by Detectives Clifford Del Rossi and George Zeitz.

The detectives quoted Mrs. Morgan all saying that Bensley, who owns the house in which she lives, came into her home this morning to talk about rent which was two months overdue.

"He asked me," she said, "if I had received a court notice to move, and I said I had, but was waiting for an eviction notice.

"Then he said, 'Well, I'm going to take the law in my own hands', and with that he pulled out a pistol and began brandishing it. I ran out the front door calling for help and then I fainted. That‘s all I remember."

Bensley admitted asking Mrs. Morgan to move out. The police found a 38-caliber revolver and a box of bullets hidden behind a rafter in the cellar of his home, they said.

Camden Courier-Post - August 8, 1933


A mother's persistent entreaties that the Camden police further investigate the death of her son resulted yesterday in the arrest of two women and a man on suspicion of manslaughter.

The arrests were made by City Detective George Zeitz in connection with the drowning Saturday night a week ago of Briggs Miller, 26, colored, of 2820 Mitchell street. The body was found last Monday in Cooper creek at the head of Twelfth street.

Since the death of her son, Mrs. Sallie Robinson, twice married, communicated with the police several times, telling of her suspicion that her boy was pushed from a boat.

Under arrest are Regina Ganges, 32, of 1011 Penn street; Shetta Johnson, 37, of 311 Chester street, and Solomon Waples, 33, of 2820 Mitchell street, all colored.


MAY 5, 1934



MAY 12, 1934

Click on
Image to Enlarge


Click on
Image to Enlarge

Camden Courier-Post * May 17, 1934
Click on Image to Enlarge



South 4th Street - South 6th Street - Hale Street - Viola Street - Dr. Orris W. Saunders
George Zeitz - Nicholas Scarduzio - Walter Sekula - Edmund Walsh - Mamie Piraine
Theresa DiLello - William Tansky Jr. - Leon Branch - Fiore Troncone -  John Hess
Joseph Samenich - Nicholas Sustich -
Isaac Shute

Camden Courier-Post
Evening Courier - September 12, 1934
Klosterman Named by Man Found With Slips On Him After Arrest
Others Must Face Trial; More Arraigned and Bonds Fixed by Court

While Camden County authorities were collecting evidence to present to the new Grand Jury when it convenes next Thursday afternoon to open its extraordinary probe into vice and crime, Camden today pressed their drive on gambling in this city.

Three men, one of whom police declare is a "numbers" bank operator here, were held under bail to await the action of the Grand Jury by Judge J. Harry Switzer when arraigned in Police Court.

The alleged "numbers" baron is Joseph Klosterman, who gave an address of 1400 Mechanic Street. He was held in $3000 bail for the Grand Jury on a charge of operating a "numbers" Lottery.

Held in $2000 Bail

Albert Young, 41, of 519 North 2nd Street, was held in $2000 bail and remanded to the Grand Jury action on a charge of possession of numbers slips. He entered a plea of guilty when arraigned before Judge Switzer.

Walter Hart, 25, of 1245 Thurman Street, who was taken into custody at 9:05 AM today by police after Young revealed he passed over his numbers slips between 2:00 PM and 2:30 PM daily, was held in $5000 bail on a charge of operating a "numbers" lottery. He pleaded not guilty to the complaint which was signed by City Detective George Zeitz.

After arraignment the three "numbers" suspects were taken from court to detective headquarters where they were photographed and fingerprinted.

At the hearing of Klosterman, Detective Zeitz testified that he hand his brother Fred were each fined $500 on May 23 last in lieu of serving a six month jail sentence which had been imposed July 21, 1933 by Criminal Judge Shay after having been convicted of operating a "numbers" lottery.

The detective further testified that he had statement ts from five other persons, one of whom was Young, arrested in connection with the gambling drive, who stated that they worked for the "Klosterman brothers numbers bank".

Besides Young, the others, all of whom are under $2000 bail each for grand jury action, include Frank Kulczynski 26, of 1100 Orchard Street, Charles Simonin, 35, of 709 Fairview Street; Mrs. Mary Angelio, 26, of 600 Line Street; Harry Koron, 42, of 1528 Mount Ephraim Avenue, and Leon Yaroch, 39,of 612 Kaighn Avenue.

Klosterman was taken into custody yesterday by Police Lieutenant Walter Welch, of the Second Police District, on a warrant signed by Zeitz. Young was picked up Sergeant Edward Hahn and Patrolman Ralph Cline.

The Klosterman brothers' "numbers bank", according to Detective Zeitz, was located at Mt. Ephraim Avenue and Mechanic Street.

A "number" bank fugitive, Joseph Cheak, 32, colored, who lives on 10th Street near Kaighn Avenue, is lodged in the Camden County jail awaiting court action. He was arrested in Philadelphia yesterday and brought here to face an indictment returned against him two weeks ago by the Camden County Grand Jury.

Chief County Detective Lawrence T. Doran disclosed that Cheak is known as the operator of the "colored numbers bank" in South Camden.

While police and detectives were scouring the city to learn whether or not the warning issued 36 hours ago to all proprietors of gambling houses to close down and stay closed was being enforced, Mayor Stewart was continuing the questioning of police officials and detectives at his City Hall office.

Data on vice and crime conditions was sought by Mayor Stewart.

Camden Courier-Post
Evening Courier - September 13, 1934

Klosterman Named by Man Found With Slips on Him After Arrest
Others Must Face Trial; More Arraigned and Bonds Fixed By Court
Campaign Against Writers Pushed With Feitz Probe
Mayor Pledges Aid of Camden Cops to State on Illicit Liquor

Arrests in the numbers racket in Camden continued today simultaneously with the continuation of the inquiry into the murder of City Detective William T. Feitz Jr.

With the Feitz slaying probe in its eleventh day- the detective was slain September 2 at 243 Sycamore Street, an alleged disorderly house- city and county authorities were still questioning witnesses in an endeavor to obtain sufficient evidence to name the murderer or murderers.

The arrest this morning of Crawford Smith, 51, of 702 Carman Street, as a numbers writer, brought the total of those apprehended this week in the numbers racket to 10.

At the same time Police Judge J. Harry Switzer held Fred Klosterman, 33, of 1050 Mechanic Street, in $5000 bail for the grand jury on a charge of operating a numbers game.

Klosterman's brother, Joseph Klosterman, 35, of 1400 Mechanic Street, was released in $3000 bail yesterday by Judge Switzer on a charge of operating a numbers lottery.

The Klostermans. according to police, are among the topnotch numbers barons of the city. Both pleaded not guilty to the charges against them.

No Testimony Taken

Fred Klosterman surrendered voluntarily yesterday afternoon when he learned that police were seeking him as an alleged numbers operator.

He was arraigned in police court today on complaint of George Zeitz, a city detective, who charged him with operating a numbers game. Police did not reveal where Fred Klosterman allegedly operated.

There was no testimony taken at the hearing of Fred Klosterman. His bail bond was signed by John Zubien. Police say they do not know Zubien's address. Mrs. Anna Bubnoski, of 1426 Mount Ephraim Avenue, posted the $3000 bail for Joseph Klosterman. Zeitz also had made complaint against him.

Fred Klosterman surrendered yesterday, according to police, after a defendant in police court testified that he was employed at an alleged numbers bank operated by Fred Klosterman. Zeitz swore to a warrant for Fred Klosterman's arrest based on the police information, he said.

Hearing Tomorrow

Smith, who was arrested by George Clayton, a policeman, will be given a hearing in police court tomorrow as an alleged numbers writer.

Meanwhile no disposition was made in the case of Mrs. Mollie Schwartz, 42, who was arrested yesterday on a charge of operating a still at a double dwelling at 3404 Rosedale Avenue. Police Lieutenant John Potter said the woman admitted operating the still.

A man said to be a brother of Mrs. Schwartz fled in  his undershirt at the time of the raid, as Sergeant Edward Hahn and Policeman Joseph Keefe were making the arrest and seizure. The seizure included 13 barrels of alleged mash, a stove, one cooler, three gallons of liquor, and a 75 gallon still. Police reported that one of two cars without license tags which had been parked in front of the house disappeared later.

Cops to Aid State

Strict cooperation with the State Alcoholic beverages Commission in the detection, closing up, and prosecution of speakeasies is being given by the Camden Police Department.

That statement was made today by Mayor Roy R. Stewart, who is the director of the department of public safety, and came as a result of an interview which Howard B. Dyer, an investigator with the state beverage commission had with the mayor. Dyer was formerly deputy city clerk.

"Dyer came in and asked for the cooperation of the police department," said Mayor Stewart, "and I told him we would cooperate fully".

The state alcoholic beverage commission, through its investigators, has been busy in running down speakeasies, stills and other illicit liquor practices.

Where Police Seized Still, After Year's Operation

This double dwelling, at 3404 Rosedale Avenue, was the scene of a still seizure early yesterday, after it had been operating for one year, according to a neighbor. The occupant, Mrs. Mollie Schwartz, 48, was arrested and admitted she operated the plant, according to Acting Lieutenant of Police John Potter. A man said to be a brother of the woman fled in his undershirt, while Sergeant Edward Hahn, recently transferred to Third District duty from the traffic division, and Patrolman Joseph Keefe were making the arrest and seizure. Eleven barrels of mash, a stove, one cooler and three gallons of liquor were seized with the 25-gallon still in the house, police reported. One of two cards without license tags, which were parked in front of the house when raided, disappeared later.

Camden Courier-Post * February 20, 1936

Republican Club Will Be Hosts at Eagles Hall February 28

The tenth annual ball of the Tenth Ward Republican Organization Club, Fifth and Pearl streets, will be held February 28 at Eagle's auditorium, 415 Broadway.

William Dolan, Jr. is chairman; William B. Sullender, treasurer, and Fred Becker, secretary of the general committee.

The members of the other committees are as follows: Hall, Louis Kahnweiler, chairman, Harry Everhart, James Flaherty; advertising, Henry W. Aitken, chairman, John Stringer, Frank Sheridan and Andrew Robinson; door, Alonzo Hires, chairman, Andrew Robinson, Jacob Strecker; music, Becker, chairman, William B. Chain, William Robinson and Andrew Robinson; printing, Stringer, chairman, Dolan and Harry Harwood; refreshment, George Morgan, Ralph Shill, Charles Bowen, Harry Harold, Edward Stafford, Henry Clevenger and Frank Turner; program, Stafford, chairman, Charles Marsh, John Hedegan, Otto E. Braun, George Zietz, William Hughes, Earl Wright, Albert C. Raeuber, Charles Schultz, Stringer and Dolan; floor, Becker, chairman, Garwood, Judson Solley, Howard E. Baird, William Lafferty, James F. Lovett, Henry I. Haines, William Robinson, Braun and Samuel J. Edwards audit, Dolan, Garwood, William Robinson, and Aitken; wardrobe, Marsh, chairman, Benjamin Harvey and George Cox; tickets, John Winstanley, chairman; executive, Dolan, chairman, Stringer, William Robinson, Sullender and Haines. The Penn Troubadors will play for dancing.  

Camden Courier-Post
June 14, 1944

George Zeitz - Arthur Holl
Fillmore Street
- Broadway
Eutaw Avenue