Smith Sr.

GEORGE L. SMITH SR. was born in 1883 in Gloucester City NJ. He started working for the United States Postal Service in 1911 as a substitute carrier. He was promoted to foreman in 1925 and became Superintendent of Mails on March 1, 1929. He served under Postmasters Roy Stewart and Emma Hyland. He retired as the Superintendent of Mails for the Camden Post Office in 1949. His son, George L. Smith Jr., was well-known as an amateur magician, and was serving with the Special Services branch of the Army, entertaining fellow soldiers, when he died of appendicitis during World War II.

A long-time resident of Woodlynne NJ, George Smith Sr. passed away while on vacation in Clearwater FL in 1951. He was survived by his wife Marie.

Camden Courier-Post - February 18, 1938
Uncle Sam and Camden Clash After Arrest of Mail Driver 
P. O. Official and Chief Colsey Will Confer On Incident; Police Warned of Federal Law Infraction Carries Fine and Jail Term 

Uncle Sam had a new diplomatic worry yesterday but like other difficulties of state hoped to settle it today around the conference table. 
On the one side will be George L. Smith, superintendent of mails, and across the board will be Police Chief Arthur Colsey. The issue: 

What to do when a Camden cup violates Paragraph 2357 of the Postal laws, which states, in part, that no one, not even a Camden cop, shall stop a mail truck or driver in pursuit of his duty on pain of a $100 fine, six months in jail, or both.

It all, started when Patrolman Karl Friederichs; in plain clothes and his own automobile, arrested Postal Driver J. Edward Jacques, 805 Elm Street; on disorderly conduct and reckless driving, charges after Jacques, in his mail truck tried to pass Fredericks' car un' the right. 

According to Friederichs, Jacques became abusive when he remonstrated and so he locked him up for a hearing today, Jacques, meanwhile, being released in his own recognizance.

When Superintendent, Smith heard about the arrest he got in touch with Chief Colsey in nothing flat. Jacques' story" he said, differed considerably from Fredericks, but even so, made, no difference. 

Smith pointed out that Jacques was attempting the "swift completion of his appointed rounds", in that he was delivering suburban mail to the central office to meet a delivery schedule and as a result of Fredericks' interference the mails were delayed more than one-half hour. 

Smith and Colsey decided that the best way out would be to have a conference in the chief's office with Jacques and Friederichs present, to determine whether Smith should proceed under Paragraph 2357.

Jacques insisted that the only reason he tried to pass Fredericks on the right was because Friederichs stopped his car to talk to another man and wouldn’t move despite all of Jacques’ horn blowing.

Camden Courier-Post
January 28, 1949 
Camden Courier-Post
January 31, 1949