FIORE TRONCONE was born in Italy around 1874 to Antonio and Rafaella Troncone. The family came to America in 1885, After living in Pennsylvania, where sons Anthony and William were born, the Troncone family came to Camden NJ shortly after 1900. By 1910 Fiore Troncone and his wife Carmela lived at 815 South Fourth Street, next door to the influential Italian-American funeral director, Antonio Mecca. The family would reside at that address through the late 1940s.

Fiore Troncone had joined the Camden Police Department by the fall of 1906. The Department recognized that with a large immigrant population it would be important to have detectives on the police force who were fluent in the languages of Camden's newer citizens in order to conduct investigations. On August 1, 1913 Fiore Troncone, along with Charles Fitzsimmons and George V. Murry were promoted to the detective squad, then led by Captain William Schregler. All had been working in plainclothes for several months prior to the official promotion. 

Detective Troncone was often mentioned in the locals newspapers of the 1920s and 1930s, as he often was the assigned detective when cases involved Italian-speaking people. Fiore Troncone passed away on December 10, 1936. His wife was then still living at the South 4th Street address. Carmela Troncone died in January of 1971 at the age of 92.

Fiore and Carmela Troncone had at least five children, Anthony, William, Raphaelina, Richard, and Theresa. William Troncone had followed his father on to the Camden Police Department by 1930. Richard Troncone had by that time gone to work for neighbor Antonio Mecca. He would succeed Mecca in the funeral business after his death.

Camden Post-Telegram
July 1, 1905

Charles H. Ellis
James Clay
Henry C. Moffett

Fiore Troncone

Lewis Stehr Jr.

John Brothers



Philadelphia Inquirer
July 1, 1905

Charles H. Ellis - James Clay - Henry Moffett - Fiore Troncone - Lewis Stehr Jr. - John Brothers

Philadelphia Inquirer - July 2, 1905

Charles H. Ellis - James Clay - Henry Moffett
Fiore Troncone
- Lewis Stehr Jr. - John Brothers

Philadelphia Inquirer - November 25, 1906
William Schregler - Fiore Troncone - Harry Gedling - Broadway - Mt. Vernon Street

Philadelphia Inquirer - June 20, 1908
Fiore Troncone - Giuseppe Discito

Camden Post-Telegram * September 21, 1908

Joseph ScharnagIe - Dauphin Street - Fiore Troncone - O. Glen Stackhouse - Joseph T. Daley
E.E. Jefferis - Engine Company 1

Philadelphia Inquirer - April 24, 1909
Fiore Troncone - Giuseppe Discito

Philadelphia Inquirer
June 3, 1909

Fiore Troncone
Giacinno Bravato
Saverio Monsanto
Division Street

Click on Image for PDF File

Philadelphia Inquirer - November 14, 1909
Frank Ford Patterson Jr. - James Clay - George Cooper - Fiore Troncone
 Edward Pike -
Walter Stanton - Oscar Weaver - Albert Shaw
William Schregler - James Tatem - Edward Hartman

Philadelphia Inquirer - August 1, 1910
Click on Image for PDF File
Fiore Troncone - South 3rd Street - Emidio Andio - Mrs. Irene Traveligna

Philadelphia Inquirer - May 6, 1911
Click on Image for PDF File
Fiore Troncone - William Schregler - John Brothers - Luigi Vernello
Vincenzo Paolucci - Michael Finnamore - Uco Belloassi - Matthew Griffin -
Cherry Street 

Philadelphia Inquirer-  May 7, 1911
Click on Image for PDF File
William Schregler - Fiore Troncone - Luigi Vernello - Cherry Street 

Philadelphia Inquirer - May 16, 1911
Click on Image for PDF File
Fiore Troncone - Gilberto Fouriso

Philadelphia Inquirer - May 21, 1911
Click on Image for PDF File
Fiore Troncone - Gilberto Fouriso

Camden Post-Telegram
October 27, 1911

William May
Elsie Staley
Federal Street
Nicholas Small
Fiore Troncone

Philadelphia Inquirer - November 28, 1911
William Schregler - Mount Vernon Street

Philadelphia Inquirer - February 4, 1912
Fiore Troncone - Locust Street - Sycamore Street
Stefano Torcosso - Nunzio Imparato

Philadelphia Inquirer February 5, 1912
Click on Image for PDF File
Fiore Troncone - Joseph Caputi - O. Glen Stackhouse - Stefano Torcosso - Nunzio Imparato

iladelphia Inquirer
December 25, 1912

Ilario DiAntonio
William Gallagher
Elisha Gravenor - Fiore Troncone
Felice Ronca
Giuseppe Azzari - Antonio DaAndea
Beckett Street - Locust Street
South 3rd Street - Line Street
Agostine Toscane - Giuseppe Diane

Click on Image for PDF File


Philadelphia Inquirer - March 23, 1913
Click on Image for PDF File
Fiore Troncone - William Schregler - John Loncrio
Victor Talking Machine Company

Philadelphia Inquirer - November 18, 1913
William Schregler - Fiore Troncone - Charles Fitzsimmons
Joseph Zitz - Elizabeth Jeter - Sinclair Jeter -
Elbridge B. McClong

Philadelphia Inquirer
December 9, 1913

Fiore Troncone
Domenico Cristofaro
Marco Giagamillo
Seraphino DiVunato
Francisco DiPietro
Canteloro DiRocco
South 4th Street

Click on Image for PDF File

Philadelphia Inquirer  May 4, 1914
Click on Image for PDF File
Fiore Troncone - William Schregler - Pasqualina Marino - Giuseppe Marino - Wellington B. Butler

Philadelphia Inquirer - October 16, 1914
Click on Image for PDF File

Philadelphia Inquirer
November 5, 1914

Fiore Troncone
Peter Coccinetti
O. Glen Stackhouse
South 4th Street

Click on Image for PDF File

Camden Post-Telegram - December 11, 1914
Antonio Ilario - Joseph Gallagher - Franklin Livery
South 3rd Street - Division Street - North Front Street 

Philadelphia Inquirer - December 14, 1914
Fiore Troncone - Giovanni Ranazzo - Carola Cane - South 2nd Street

Philadelphia Inquirer - January 26, 1915
Fiore Troncone - Orazio Cardillo - Antonio Magazzu - O. Glen Stackhouse - South 2nd Street

Philadelphia Inquirer - January 27, 1915
Click on Image for PDF File
Fiore Troncone - Wargo Rossi - Nellie Heard - Broadway - Cherry Street

Philadelphia Inquirer - January 27, 1915
Click on Image for PDF File
Fiore Troncone - Mamie Burns - O. Glen Stackhouse - Spruce Street

Philadelphia Inquirer
January 31, 1915

Sycamore Street
South 4th Street
Pine Street
Antonio Bruno
Adolfo D'Angelo

Click on Image for PDF File




Philadelphia Inquirer - June 12, 1915
Fiore Troncone - Pasquale Paolucci - Vincenzo Costanzo Verina Constanzo - O. Glen Stackhouse

Philadelphia Inquirer - June 16, 1915
Fiore Troncone - Samuel Valentine - South 3rd Street Augusto Marino - Lawrence Stepi - O. Glen Stackhouse
William Kraft

Philadelphia Inquirer - September 15, 1915
Click on Image for PDF File
Fiore Troncone - Angelo DiLorenzo  - O. Glen Stackhouse - Benson Street

Fort Worth
Fort Worth, Texas
October 12, 1915

Fiore Troncone
Angelo Marino
Marie Marino

Click on Image for PDF File

Philadelphia Inquirer - January 19, 1916
Click on Image for PDF File

Philadelphia Inquirer
March 27, 1916

Volney Bennet Lumber Company - Alfred Suders
Fiore Troncone - Innocenzo Barano - Locust Street

Click on Image for PDF File


Wilson Ashbridge, Who Shot and Killed Mrs. Elizabeth Dunbar
and George E. Thompson, Check Swindler, Trap Jailor Hibbs by a Ruse and After Slaying Him, Shoot Joe Ellis Who Intercepted Them in Flight.
Used Revolver Smuggled Into Prison by Confederates and Leave Jail Wide Open in Their Flight, a General Delivery Being Averted by Police Who Were Summoned by the Wounded Men.

Murdering one jailor and wounding another with a revolver that had been smuggled into them by outside confederates, Wilson T. Ashbridge, slayer of Mrs. Elizabeth Dunbar, and Francis Murphy, alias George E. Thompson, a check forger, made their escape from the county jail a few minutes before seven o'clock last night.

Ashbridge with his wife was caught at noon in the Keystone Hotel in Chester PA where they registered at one o'clock this morning.

Thompson is still at liberty but from the confident manner of Prosecutor Kraft his early arrest seems assured.

The murdered jailor was Isaac Hibbs, aged 65 years of 913 South 8th Street. The wounded keeper is Joseph Ellis, aged 45 years, of 416 Carteret Street. Shot twice, he is in Cooper Hospital. His condition today is very satisfactory.

Thompson, who is 41 years old, forged a check for $650 which he gave to V.M. Fulton as part of the purchase price of an automobile. The forgery was discovered before the deal was completed and his arrest followed on June 8. he also passed a forged check for $15 on State Motor Vehicle Agent Kraft. He, too, was awaiting trial. In spite of the positive evidence against him Thompson had spurned all efforts to have him plead guilty and it is now believed that he was sparring for time while hatching a plan to escape. He s no doubt the master mind.

R.L. Hunter, a farmer of Bensalem Township, Bucks County PA, about four miles above Torres dale, reported to the Philadelphia police the morning that he had seen a man answering Ashbridge's description on the Bucks Road at daylight. The man asked the way to Riegelsville.

According to Hunter, the man was dressed in a dark suit, and had no hat. His clothing was wet. Hunter did not see anything suspicious in his actions, and after giving him directions, they parted.

Upon seeing the paper with a picture of Ashbridge, the farmer was struck by its resemblance to the man with whom he had talked. He hurried to Tacony and notified the police.

The State police, who patrol that section of the county, and who have an office at Langhorne, were immediately notified as were the surrounding towns.

The shootings took place in different parts of the jail. Hibbs was murdered in the exercise room just outside the cell room on the Sixth and Arch corner of the building. Ellis was shot down in the corridor just outside the Market Street end of the building when he heroically grappled with Ashbridge after the latter had pointed a gun at his head. In spite of his wounds Ellis dragged himself to a telephone and after notifying Police Headquarters of what had happened he collapsed.

Only one of the two bullets is still in Ellis. It entered the groin on the right side and is buried in the muscles of the leg, having taken a downward course for seven or eight inches. The other bullet struck Ellis in the right breast and came out in the left breast, traversing the upper fleshy parts of the body.

Hibbs was almost instantaneously killed by a bullet that went within an inch of his heart, producing a hemorrhage. The bullet was extracted this morning from the body early this morning in an autopsy performed at the morgue by County Physician Stem. In spite of the fact that it is pretty well established that three shots were fires in the attack on Hibbs, only one of the bullets took effect.

"But it makes little difference which of the two men handled the gun" said Prosecutor Kraft this morning. "Both are equally guilty of this murder and what we are concerned about now is the recapture of the gunmen." Mr. Kraft added that it his purpose to examine all of the prisoners in that part of the jail where Hibbs was murdered to determine fully who fired the fatal shot.

The escape had been carefully planned and timed to the minute. Of course the desperate prisoners were aided by confederates on the outside and it is the general belief that a high powered motor car was in waiting for them not far from the jail. They are known to have been in possession of money and openly boasted yesterday that it was their intention to leave the prison last night. These boasts were made to two young ladies connected with a religious organization who called on the tom men yesterday to offer spiritual reconciliation. The girls are frequent visitors to the jail and naturally their efforts at evangelization were directed in the main toward Ashbridge, because of the fact that he was accused of murder. These girls, whose identity officials will not disclose, were closeted with Prosecutor Kraft until one o'clock this morning. Both declared that on their visit yesterday they were told by Ashbridge and Thompson that it was the last day they expected to spend in jail.

"We are going to get away from here tonight and we've got money to help us after we are out " said Ashbridge, who further told the girls he had considerable cash sewed up in the waistband of his trousers. The girls begged the prisoners not to do anything that would  cause them more trouble and they told the Prosecutor that Ashbridge and Thompson promised them that they would not make any effort to escape. In their talks with the girls neither of the prisoners said a word that would indicate that they would kill if necessary to escape. The full force of their boast did not dawn on the religious workers and for this reason it never occurred tot hem to inform the Sheriff of what the prisoners had in said.

A general jail delivery of at least all the men confined in hat is known as the untried department, where the two were held, was only averted by the prompt arrival of the police on their beat, which was made easy by means of the keys taken from the prostrate body of Hibbs. Ashbridge and Thompson left all of the doors open and the vanguard of the inrushing police found the prisoners swarming all over the corridors on the east side of the prison. In the wild excitement following the double shooting and escape none else thought of freedom and a checking up of the inmates after they had been herded in the exercise room of the untried department accounted accounted for all but the fugitive slayers.

The department, in which the two men were confined is the same one which William Brown and Charles Berger made their sensational escape several years ago by sawing away the bars on the Federal Street front of the jail. Thrilling as it was, the former escape was insignificant in comparison with last night's tragic event.

With the full force of the keepers out of the way- one dead and the other suffering from gunshot wounds at first supposed to have been fatal- Ashbridge and Thompson had nothing between them and freedom but the door entering from the spiral stairway leading to the narrow entrance of the Sixth and Market Streets end of the Court House, With the keys taken from Hibbs they opened the door and in a few seconds were breathing the free air. It was still daylight when the daring murderers walked from the building and although they were no doubt seen by some of the scores of persons passing it is certain that they managed to control themselves to such an extent as not to arouse any undue suspicion. The exit they used to escape is that used by the general public and therefore persons passing calmly in and out of the door would not in any manner be thought to have been connected with a jail delivery. However the shots which had laid low the keepers had been plainly heard on all four sides of the building and it is strange that no one has yet been found who can give positive information as to what course the fleeing men took and whether they were aided in their flight by an automobile.

While the police and detectives of Camden and all other cities in the East are watching railroad terminals, steamship lines, and all other avenues of travel in response t the general alarm sent out last night, Prosecutor Kraft is bending all his energies to learn who smuggled in the revolver which the fugitives used. Thus far this feature of the case is as complete a mystery as it was last night. Mr. Kraft and Sheriff Haines are satisfied, however, that only one gun was used for both shootings. It was at first thought that each man had a pistol when they left the jail; that one of them armed himself with the gun that Hibbs was supposed to have carried, but it was determined that Hibbs was not armed when he went into the jail last night. There was no occasion for him to come in contact with any of the prisoners and for that reason he left his revolver in his desk in the office. even had he carried it he would have little chance to use it, so cold-bloodedly was he slain as he unsuspectingly fell into the trap laid for him by the desperate gunmen. There is also some conflict as to how at least on of the fugitives was dressed. Alfred Williams, who witnessed the murder of Hibbs, said that Ashbridge was without coat or ha when he dashed out of the cell-room, and that Thompson carried his coat and hat under his arm. However in a description of the two men given at the Prosecutor's office it was set forth that Ashbridge wore a bue serge suit and a checkered cap. The coat that he is supposed to have taken bore the mark of "Tull- the Tailor," of Jacksonville, Florida. ad had been borrowed by him from another prisoner. He wore tan shoes. Ashbridge is 27 years old, 5 feet 7-1/2 inches in height and weighs 137 pounds. He has brown hair, smooth face and is of light complexion.

Thompson wore a brown suit and a Panama hat. He is 41 years old 5 feet seven inches in height, and weighs 175 pounds. He has brown bushy hair, is minus one of the fingers on his left hand, and is light complexioned.    

The tan shoes worn by Ashbridge were also borrowed from one of the prisoners. He got them on Saturday and remarked that he wanted to look neat.

Keepers Ellis and Hibbs were reading in the prison office last evening when Hibbs glanced up at the clock and noticed that it was a few minutes of seven. "Joe, I'm going back and out the boys in their cells," he said to Ellis and with his keys in his hand he started for the cell room in the untried department. A thirty foot long corridor runs from the office to the barred and grated door opening into the department in which the cells are situated. This department is about the size of three ordinary school rooms and in the southeastern corner of the jail are the cells, in two tiers.

Around the cells is a three foot corridor into which all the cells doors open and in which all the prisoners are permitted to walk when they are not allowed out in the main room. When the inmates are ordered into their cells and their doors closed the doors are locked from the outside of the steel cage by means of a lever worked by the jailor. Thus every cell door can be made secure without the keepers coming into actual contact with the prisoners. In addition to the bars around the corridor fronting on the double tier of cells there is a fine mesh heavy wire screening.

As Hibbs approached the lever which is operated to shut the cell doors after the prisoners have retired from the corridors, Ashbridge was leaning against the grating of his cell, Number 18. Thompson was lounging a few feet away.

"Daddy, open the door, I want you to see this note," said Ashbridge to the keeper, at the same time displaying a piece of paper which he had in his hand. Never giving a thought that he was about to perform an act that which was absolutely necessary for the carrying-out of the well laid plot, or that he was going to his doom, or was even in danger, "Daddy", as the aged keeper was known to all the prisoners, opened the door without hesitation.

As he swung wide the big steel frame, Ashbridge quickly stepped out and the next instant was pressing a gun against the abdomen of the jailor.

"Throw up your hands, you ___ ___ ___" he commanded.

"What are you up to, what's this mean, asked the keeper, apparently not realizing he had been trapped.

For reply Thompson jumped out the door, wrenched the gun from Ashbridge's grasp and with an oath began firing at Hibbs, who sank to the floor at the first shot. Only a few feet away and the only other person in the exercise room, although the shooting could have been seen by any other prisoners who had not retired to their cells, Alfred Williams, trusty, is emphatic in his assertion that Thompson fired the shot that killed Hibbs and that he fired three times.

"It's a wonder they did not get me," said Williams. "Ashbridge and I could not hit it and in his desperate mood I am surprised he didn't kill me, too." Williams, who has just completed a six months' sentence for obtaining money from Italian grocers by falsely representing himself as an agent for a wholesale house in Chicago and who is wanted in the Windy City for the same offense, says the whole transaction took less than a minute and that the moves came so fast he and the other prisoners were powerless to aid.

"It was like a flash of lightning" said Williams, "and before I could fully understand what had happened Ashbridge had grabbed Daddy's keys' which had fallen to the floor, and was off like a deer for the barred door. Ashbridge had taken the smoking gun from Thompson, who had his hat and coat under his arm and who was right behind the other one.

"As they hurried through the door after Ashbridge had opened it with Daddy's keys Daddy called to me to raise him. I put my arm under his head and lifted him slightly from the floor. 'Hold my hands' he sad to me. I took hold of his hands and the next minute he died in my arms. Then I heard two more shots and I knew they got Joe Ellis."

Startled by the shots, and he is emphatic there were three in rapid succession, Ellis leaped to his feet and without taking the time to arm himself ran from the office and turned into the corridor just as Ashbridge, wild-eyed and gun in his hand, came running toward him. Halting three yards away Ashbridge pointed the revolver at Ellis' head and ordered him to throw up his hands.

For reply and without fear of himself the keeper dashed at the murderer and the next instant they wee locked in each others embrace. Working loose the hand which held the gun, Ashbridge pulled the trigger. The bullet struck Ellis in the breast, but the wound was not sufficient to render him helpless. However, before he could grip the pistol arm, Ashbridge fired again and the keeper fell back with a bullet in his groin.

"The second shot got me," said Ellis to Prosecutor Kraft and Assistant Prosecutor Butler at the hospital. "The first one wasn't bad but my strength left me when the second bullet struck. Ashbridge was the only one I saw. I did not see Thompson."

"Dragging himself to the office Ellis managed to reach a telephone and called up the police.

"This is Ellis at the county jail; come quick. Ashbridge has shot me" he weakly said over the phone to Captain Hyde. Then the receiver fell from his hand and he dropped to the floor, but after a minute or two managed to climb into chair.

 While patrol loads of policemen where being hurried to the Court House from the First and Second District station houses, Reserve Officer Charles Hose, on duty at Broadway and Federal Street, who had heard the shots, ran to the Court House and from the office of Assistant Custodian John Lack phoned up to the jail. Ellis managed to answer and in a few word told what had happened. They ran up to the jail and were admitted by Ellis, who was rapidly growing weaker from loss of blood, the trail of which plainly showed just where the injured keeper had moved.

"I guess Ashbridge got away and the jail is all open, you had better take care of the rest of the prisoners," said Ellis to Hose and Lack. The fugitive-murderers had left all doors open and the other occupants of the untried department were swarming through the corridors. Their curses and yells and the shrieks and cries of the female prisoners had turned the place into a perfect bedlam. With the aid of other policemen who swarmed into the Court House like bees, the prisoners were soon herded into the exercise room, where Trusty Williams checked the up and accounted for all but Ashbridge and Thompson.

With the faint hope that the missing pair had not risked leaving the building but had secreted themselves in the structure, the courthouse was searched from pit to dome, but no trace of the men were found.

Detective Doran was the first of the Prosecutor's staff to reach the scene. Mr. Kraft and the balance of the staff soon followed. In the lower end of the county, on official business, Sheriff Haines was reached by phone and Under Sheriff Hewitt was summoned from Pitman and until an early hour this morning the officials were is conference and examining numerous prisoners.

State Detective Walter Le Torneau furnished Prosecutor Kraft with a promising "tip" this morning when he learned that Thompson gave a letter to Freeholder Howard Marshall, of the Eighth Ward, to mail on Sunday. Mr. Marshall states that the letter was addressed to a woman by the name or Mrs. Shelton, in Baltimore MD.

Marshall was attending religious service in the jail when Thompson approached him.

"Put this is your pocket and mail it it for me when you go out," said Thompson to Mr. Marshall, who agreed to carry out the request. Dropping the letter in the mail box Marshall allowed the incident to pass without further notice.

Detective Le Torneau learned this morning that Marshall had spoken to the incident to a friend and the sleuth notified the Prosecutor, The tip will be run down the Prosecutor stated.

Funeral services for Hibbs will be held on Thursday from his late residence. The body will be taken to Langhorne PA where interment will be made in the Friends' Cemetery under the direction of the Schroeder-Kephart Company. Services will be conducted Wednesday evening by Reverend Henry Bradway, pastor of the Eighth Street Methodist Episcopal Church.


Although the murderous prisoners made their escape, it was no fault of the local police department, which threw out a "dragnet system" that covered practically every outlet fropm the city. as soon as the call reached headquarters the red lights were flashing and every officer and detective who could be reached was sent out on the "man hunt" which was pursued with vigor.

Passing automobiles were pressed into service by the detectives and officers and all haste was made for the ferries, railroad yards, terminals, and trolley points. Citizens cooperated with the police in their efforts to run down the escaping prisoners.

Assistant Chief Hyde received the call from Jailor Ellis, who though wounded himself summoned strength enough to reach the phone.

"This is Jailor Ellis. Hibbs and me have been shot  by that man Ashbridge and help quick!" was the startling message which came over the phone to Chief Hyde about one minute past seven.

It was just at the time the shifts were going on and off at the local station houses. Chief Hyde lost no time. He called to Machine Operator "Eddie" King to send the message to the station houses and flash the red lights. This was done and as fast as the men could run they covered the various points.

The auto patrols were dispatched with all hands to the Court House and the wounded men hurried to the hospital. Coroner Robert G. Schroeder reached the hospital as Hibbs and Ellis were being admitted and he tool charge of the situation and got in touch with Prosecutor Kraft and County Physician Stem.

Detective Captain Schregler was hurriedly summoned, and his men were sent in all directions. Detective Brothers boarded a waiting automobile and a record run was made for the Federal Street ferry.  Sergeant Humes was picked up and in four minutes after the call was received from Ellis Detective Brothers had the ferry covered.

 Detectives Troncone, Painter and Murray and Captain Schregler covered the Kaighn Avenue, Vine Street, and Cramer Hill ferry lines.

Detective Brothers got in touch with the Pennsylvania Railroad officials who put their detective force to work searching freight and passenger cars. The orders were sent out from the railroad office to stop and search every fright train. Dispatches were also sent to Trenton, Mount Holly, and Burlington and it was not long before the news of the atrocious deed had spread throughout the country and many distant places.

Trolley cars were stopped and searched by the police, but not the slightest trace could be found of the escaped prisoners. The police left nothing undone in the "man-hunt."

When news of the affair spread through the city phone calls began to come in to headquarters. Over fifty persons called up to tell the police that they had seen the two men at various places. The "tips" were all run down but none materialized.

Officers Arthur Colsey and Theodore Guthrie, who were on their vacations. lent their aid to Chief Hyde. Policeman Colsey pressed his automobile into service and carried the  police to various parts of the city.

Co-operating closely with Prosecutor Kraft's detectives the city officials formed a combination which in nine times out of ten would have been successful, but the escaped men cleverly eluded their pursuers.

Assisted by Coroner Schroeder, County Physician Stem held a post mortem examination on Hibbs' body. The bullet which caused the death was located in the region of the heart, It passed through the victim's lung, causing a hemorrhage, which resulted in death. Following the examination the body was taken by the Schroeder-Kephart Company at the family's orders to be prepared for burial.


The brutal crime for which Ashbridge stood indicted but untried was committed on the night of January 22 at Ninth and Market Streets. It developed that the murderer had followed his intended victim from the morning hours. He trailed her to the home of her sister, a Mrs. Meredith, of 911 Market Street, and laid in wait in the darkness of a building that fatal Saturday night.

Mrs. Dunbar came out of the house and stood on the northeast corner while waiting for a ferry-bound trolley car. She intended going to Sicklerville that night to visit her relatives. With her at the time was her 7-year-old daughter, Eleanor, and her father, Charles Dunbar. Ashbridge advanced toward the woman, who was startled when she saw him. She called to her father that she "didn't want anything to do with Ashbridge."

Before the father could interfere the young murderer whipped out a revolver and covered the father and the woman. He then struck the woman violently in the face with his fist and as she was reeling under the force of the brutal blow Ashbridge fired, the first bullet taking effect in the woman's chest. The brutal murderer then stood over his prostrate victim and holding the revolver less than five inched from his victim's body he pumped four more shots into her.

Policeman Howard Smith and Policeman Taylor were a square distant. Smith saw the entire proceedings and screamed at Ashbridge to stop shooting. A crowd quickly gathered and Dr. Maldeis, who lives nearby, came running to the scene to aid the stricken woman.

Officer Taylor espied Ashbridge in the crowd, The murderer made no effort to run, but stood his ground. Detecting the murderer trying to slip something up his sleeve, Taylor pounced upon him and bore him to the ground, at the same time taking the gun away from him and slipping the handcuffs over the murderer's wrists. Policeman Taylor had to draw his revolver to keep back the large crowd that was threatening. Showing no concern whatever, Ashbridge calmly waited until the police auto arrived. In the meantime the murdered woman's still warm body was placed in a "jitney" and with Officer Smith and Dr. Maldeis a hurry run was made for Cooper Hospital but when the institution was reached, Mrs. Dunbar was pronounced dead.

Ashbridge was taken to the hospital by Policeman Taylor in the police auto. He asked "how she is." Informed that he had accomplished his purpose, the young murderer asked to see the woman. When the white sheet covering the still form of the murdered woman was drawn from the face Ashbridge leaned over and kissed the forehead of the woman. He was then taken to the County jail and locked up. Before Recorder Stackhouse on the following Monday Ashbridge pleaded guilty.

Ashbridge was infatuated with the woman, who was a member of the Temple Theater chorus. Becasue of Ashbridge's persistent attentions she was compelled to give up her position. Mrs. Dunbar had previously accepted Ashbridge's attentions, thinking that he was unmarried, but upon learning that he had a wife and child she informed him that it would be best for them not to see each other, but the young man refused to discontinue his attentions.

On the day of the shooting Ashbridge was seen in various places. He is said to have followed the woman to the Federal Street ferry, but lost track of her. Around noon he was seen at Front and Pearl Streets by Policeman Boyd, who ordered him to move on. Boyd was about to arrest him as a suspicious character, but Ashbridge pleaded that he was looking for a friend. All that day Ashbridge followed the woman until night, when he cruelly murdered her.

The murderer came from a respectable family. Dissipation is thought to have caused the young man to lose his sense of reasoning. Rather good-looking, Ashbridge had tender baby-like eyes and his case excited sympathy among the more tender-hearted people.

Sweetmeats, tasty sandwiches, and other small luxuries were said to have been given the young murderer while he languished in his cell. He had many visitors. Recently Ashbridge was taken violently ill after eating some crabs which were given him by a friend. He and Jailor Hibbs were very friendly.


Thompson, or Murphy, was a self-styled lawyer and was committed by Recorder Stackhouse in June3 for forging checks to the amount of $1,055. The worthless checks were "worked"  on the McClelland-Fulton Auto Company and Motor Vehicle Agent A.C. Kraft.

When a check for $150 presented to the automobile company by Thompson and drawn to the order of "G.E. Thompson" on the Harrisonburg, Virginia National Bank came back from the home office of the Studebaker Company as worthless, Mr. Fulton called in the police.

Thompson had previously presented a check for $890 as payment on an automobile. This check was drawn on Thompson's favor on the Coatesville National Bank and was purported to have been signed by Louis L. Gibney, a hotel man of Downington PA. This check was still in the possession of Mr. Fulton when Thompson was arrested after the first check was returned marked "no funds".

The clever swindler also presented a bad check to Agent Kraft for $15 for which he received the license to operate the automobile which he proposed buying.

Detective Troncone arrested Thompson at Fifth and Market Streets on June 2. The defendant had been living in a room at 220 North Fifth Street.

Giving his home address as Daytona, Florida, Thompson represented himself as a lawyer. well dressed and wearing nose glasses, Thompson was an intelligent appearing man, he had a bushy pompadour which was streaked with gray and talked in a persuasive manner. His forgeries on Mr. Gibney's signature were so clever that Gibney himself could not tell the difference.

After Thompson's arrest Detective Captain Schregler sent out notices to several southern cities. He received responses from Harrisonburg, Norfolk, and Petersburg Virginia and that Thompson was wanted in all three cities for check forgeries.

Bert Hibbs, a city foreman and a son of the slain jailor, was murdered early Sunday morning , December 25, 1910 when his throat was cut by Charles Ridgway, a negro, aged 22 years, of Seventh and Sycamore Streets. It was about 12:20 on Christmas morning that Hibbs while crossing the lots at Seventh andSycamore was accosted by Ridgeway, who wanted to shake hands with Hibbs. The latter refused, a quarrel ensued and Ridgeway whipped out a razor and slashed Hibbs across the throat with such violence that his head was nearly severed. Hibbs died while on the way to the hospital. Ridgway was arrested after a battle by Detectives Schregler, Painter and Brothers and several officers at his home, 1207 Lilly Row.

Indicted for murder Ridgway pleaded non vult. On April 24, 1911, to a charge of murder in the second degree, he was sentenced to 25 years in state Prison at hard labor.


This is the second murder and second escape from the present jail. The first murder took place in November, 1907, when George Stewart, a young negro, stabbed to death John Snell, who was awaiting trial for carrying in the business of fortune telling. Stewart was in jail on a charge of dealing in opium and cocaine. He had a complete opium layout in his cell. He and Snell had a quarrel and he stabbed Snell to death in his cell. He was tried and convicted and sentenced to be electrocuted during the week of February 8, 1908. He was electrocuted on February 4, being the first man to suffer the death penalty by electrocution.

On July 13, 1910 William T. Brown, alias Gillespie, who had been sentenced to seven years on a charge of forgery, and Charles Berger, who was under sentence for picking pockets, made their escape from jail after sawing the bars on the Federal Street front. They climbed over the balustrade to the roof, descended through a trapdoor, climbed down stairs and walked leisurely through the Court House building and out into the street unnoticed. They entered an automobile and were driven away. They crossed to Philadelphia on a North Cramer Hill Ferry boat.

Several weeks later Brown was arrested in New York City and was sentenced to Auburn Prison on an old charge. His term will expire shortly and he has also applied to the Court of Pardons of this State for a parole. A detainer has been lodged against him at the State prison where he his located and he will; be brought back and resentenced. Berger was captured in Chicago and was brought back and served a term at Trenton.

Philadelphia Inquirer - August 14, 1916
Click on Image for PDF File

Fiore Troncone - John Brothers - Annibel Williams
Ebenezer Phipps -
Spruce Street - Locust Street

Philadelphia Inquirer - April 30, 1917
Thomas Schneider - The Majestic Theatre - James Gimello
Charles R. Norris
Broadway - Line Street - Cherry Street - Fiore Troncone

Philadelphia Inquirer - December 10, 1917
Fiore Troncone - Valeriani DiGiaconi

Philadelphia Inquirer - April 17, 1918
Click on Image for PDF File
Fiore Troncone - O. Glen Stackhouse - Raffaele Pasino

Philadelphia Inquirer - May 19, 1918
Click on Image for PDF File
Fiore Troncone - Gilberto Fouriso

Philadelphia Inquirer - November 6, 1918
Fiore Troncone - George B. Wade - Raymond Wade - South 4th Street

Philadelphia Inquirer
November 26, 1919

Regicino Barnetto
Caroline Barnetto
Mary Barnetto
Michael Stellao
Cherry Street
Line Street
Fiore Troncone

William Schregler
Dr. Frank O. Stem
Arthur Holl


Camden Daily Courier - August 28, 1921

Actor Held for Murder Says Camden Officer Drew Gun While Serving Attachment Writ at Tuckahoe but Eye Witnesses Testify Cramer Never Had Chance for Life- 
Tragedy Followed Long Disagreement Over Payment on Automobile


Constable William Cramer, of 647 Willard Street, died at 9:00 this morning in the City Hospital, Atlantic City, from wounds sustained when he was shot three times yesterday afternoon by Harry Batchelder, vaudeville actor, 45 years old, of 419 Haddon Avenue.

Cramer was serving a writ of attachment from the Camden County District Court when shot by Batchelder. The latter was arrested at midnight by Captain of Detectives William Schregler and City Detective Fiore Troncone at Audubon. He will be taken to Cape May Court House late today for a preliminary hearing on a charge of murder preferred by Sheriff Tomlin, of Cape May County.

Joseph and James Albright, of 455 South 6th Street, were with Cramer when he was shot. They are proprietors of a tire store at 431 Federal Street, and the Corson Garage, 6th and Line Streets.

Batchelder says he shot Cramer when the constable pulled a revolver on him. The Albrights say Cramer did not show a revolver and never had a chance for his life.

A forerunner of the shooting occurred Friday night when Batchelder caused the arrest of Joseph Albright for stealing his car. He was taken to police headquarters with Constable Cramer.

It was then learned that James Albright had secured a writ of attachment from the District Court Friday, and Cramer was sent out to serve it. The writ charged Batchelder owed Albright $20.00 for a tire and repairs on his machine.

Cramer said he seized the car in front of Batchelder’s home and instructed Albright to tow it to his garage. While they were towing the car to the garage, Batchelder called a policeman. He charged Albright with stealing his machine.

Gave Check, Left Headquarters

Batchelder later told Captain Schregler he did not know Cramer was a constable. He offered to settle the claim to get his car. Cramer told him the bill was $20.00 and $20.00 for costs. They agreed to settle for $30.00. Batchelder gave Cramer a check for the amount and left police headquarters with his car.

Captain Schregler learned today that Batchelder went to see a lawyer Saturday morning. The lawyer advised him to stoop payment on the check. Captain Schregler was informed Batchelder took the attorney’s advice.

After he learned payment had been stopped, Cramer started out again Sunday to serve the writ. He was accompanied by the Albright brothers. The three men went to Batchelder’s home and learned he had gone to his bungalow at Tuckahoe with his wife in an automobile. Cramer and the Albright brothers went to Tuckahoe. 

Fired Five Times

We located Batchelder in a field in his automobile about a half mile from his home” said Joseph Albright this morning.

“As we approached the machine Batchelder yelled ‘Don’t come near me!’”.

“He yelled that twice, but Cramer paid no attention to the man’s warning. Then Batchelder pulled out a revolver and fired five times at Cramer. Cramer dropped in his tracks, moaning with pain.”

Runs Away With Wife

Batchelder started his car and ran full speed across the field. I ran after him and traced him to his bungalow on the Cape May County side of the Tuckahoe River. He and his wife jumped into a truck and drove away as I approached.”

“I ran back to my brother and Cramer and we started for Tuckahoe with the wounded man. We notified a constable in Tuckahoe about the shooting, but he said he did not want to have anything to do with the case.”

“We took Cramer to a drug store and the druggist told us he did not want to treat him. Then we drove as fast as our car could take us to ocean City. Cramer was growing weaker every minute. We took him to the office of Dr. Allen Corson. He advised us to take Cramer to the hospital in Atlantic City. We then drove to that city.”

Cramer was operated on last night at the City Hospital. He failed to regain consciousness until he died at 9:00 this morning. Two bullets were taken from his abdomen, and one from his right wrist. Two of the bullets fired by Batchelder evidently went wild.

The Atlantic City police notified Camden and Cape May County authorities. Every Roadway in South Jersey was watched throughout Sunday afternoon and night.

Captain Schregler and Detective Troncone learned that Batchelder had friends in Audubon. They went to the home of Harry Grow, 315 Chestnut Avenue. They found Batchelder and his wife at that address. Batchelder was immediately arrested and taken to police headquarters. Sheriff Tomlin, at Cape May Court House, was notified today and started for Camden to take the slayer to Cape May for trial.

Cramer, 65 Years Old, In Poor Health

Cramer was 65 years old and had long been a sufferer from asthma. He leaves a wife, one son and one daughter. His wife was told about the shooting last night and hurried to Atlantic City. She was with him when he died.

The slain man had been attached to the District Court three years. He was appointed constable three years ago and elected last fall for a term of five years from the Tenth Ward on the Republican ticket.

Cramer had gained a reputation for fearlessness in the performance of his duty. He figured in a duel with Constable Zinger in the Highland section a year ago over the serving of a writ.

He later was charged with assault and battery on a woman, whose piano he seized on a District Court writ. Cramer said the woman tried to stop him from taking the piano by sitting on top of it. He ordered the moving men, whom he employed to take the instrument, to push it out of her parlor into the doorway. As they did she was knocked from the top of the piano. The case never went to court.

Batchelder Had Good Reputation

Batchelder bore an excellent reputation up until the time of the shooting. He was widely known as a musician. He performed on bells and xylophone and appeared frequently in vaudeville comedy sketches. He staged a number of theatrical enterprises of his own in this and other cities.

Camden Daily Courier - August 29, 1921

Actor-Slayer Taken to Jail In Cape May County, Where He Will Be Tried


Harry Batchelder, vaudeville actor, of this city, charged with murdering Constable William T. Cramer, while the constable was attempting to attach Batchelder’s automobile.

Batchelder was taken to Cape May Court House late yesterday by Sheriff Tomlin and Constable Newkirk.

The accused man will plead self-defense, it was learned today.

“Yes I shot him, but to protect my life,” said the prisoner to Captain of Detectives Schregler and Detective Troncone, when he was arrested in Audubon. He declined to discuss the case further. Samuel M. Shay has been engaged as his counsel.

No Revolver On Cramer

Though Batchelder insists Cramer pointed a revolver at him, the fact is refuted by John and Joseph Albright, Camden garage owners, who accompanied Cramer n his visit to Tuckahoe, and by the fact that no revolver was found on his body.

The brothers, who had obtained a judgment against Batchelder for repairs to his car, declare as Cramer approached, Batchelder cried:

”Don’t come near me!”

Cramer, however, ignored the warning and Batchelder at once began firing.

According to an autopsy performed by County Physician Souder, of Atlantic County, the bullets perforated Cramer’s lungs, heart, and abdomen.

 Belated Medical Aid

Three hours elapsed before Cramer, bleeding profusely from the bullet wounds, received medical attention. This was due to the remoteness of hospitals from the scene of the shooting. Cramer was finally brought to the Atlantic City Hospital at 7:00, although the shooting occurred about 4:00.

The shooting was the result of a dispute over a claim of $20.00 for repairs to the automobile of Batchelder.

It was reported Batchelder had been advised he was immune from attachment proceedings because he was in a county other than the one in which judgment had been obtained against him.

Cramer, however, was proceeding under the garage lien act, which would enable him to seize the car in any part of the State.

Batchelder will be tried in Cape May County, as the shooting occurred there. Cape May officials said today they will press for a verdict of murder in the first degree in his case. They pointed out that the Statutes hold that a person killing an officer in pursuance of his duty is guilty of first degree murder.

Philadelphia Inquirer - June 25, 1922
Fiore Troncone - Line Street - <ary Deangele - Frank Campanni  - Pine Street 

Camden Courier-Post - January 25, 1928

Love Campaign Fails, Man Seeks $300 Back
South Camden Wooer, 55, Father of 6, His Bank Roll Depleted,
Seeks to Recover Money He Spent  in Futile Search for a Bride

He thought he could get a bride if he flashed a large enough bank roll, but although he gave nearly $300 to various women to manage his “love campaign,” he is still without anyone to be a mother to his six children.

That is the story Joseph Mangini, 56 years old, 529 South Third Street,  told detectives when he asked the arrest of Mrs. Elizabeth Burns, 22 years old, 286 Kaighn Avenue.

Today the aspiring Romeo, who looks much younger than his actual age, in spite of a shining bald head, appeared in police court, where Mrs. Burns was arraigned on a charge of obtaining money under false pretenses.

Case Continued Week

"He came often to my house, always early in the morning, and gave me money, but I never promised to get him a wife,” the defendant testified. “I’m no match maker and a whole stack of his money wouldn’t induce me to arrange his love affairs for him.”

The case was continued for one week so the police can check up on the conflicting stories told by the two principals.

Mrs. Burns’ grandmother was his first choice, Mangini told detectives. After he had spent money to persuade her to marry him, she died, he said. Then he turned his attentions to courting Mrs. Burns’ mother. This suit cost him $200, but he didn’t mind that, for a marriage seemed certain this time, he told detectives.

After the marriage license had been obtained and all preparations had been made for the wedding, he discovered that his second choice was already married, Mangini said.

Says Mother Is Married

Mrs. Burns has another story to tell. When questioned by City Detective Fiore Troncone, she insisted her mother and Mangini had been married. She denied she had promised to man­age the man’s amorial adventures and declared that, although he gave her considerable money, she did not agree to get him a wife in return.

“I have known Mangini for about three or four months.” Mrs. Burns said. 1.1 met him through a woman I know only as Matilda, who lives at 529 South Third Street. He said he wanted to get married and told me he was interested in my grandmother, Mrs. Rose Capella. She was 62 years old, but he said the age didn’t matter."

“I arranged a meeting and the two of us went over to 3547 North Warnock Street, Philadelphia, and brought my grandmother over to the Third Street house. They talked the matter of marriage over and then we went to my house, where they talked some more. That was Saturday. "

Visits Children In Home

“The next day Mangini gave her some money. I don’t know how much. Then the three of us went out to the Home for Friendless Children on Haddon Avenue, where we visited his six children. Grandmother went home early Monday after a marriage pact had been agreed upon."

"Then on New Year’s Day she died. We told Mangini about it and he said he was going to look for another woman to be his wife. He never asked me to persuade my mother, Mrs. Mary Capella, to marry him, but he did tell me one day when I met him that he had decided to court her." 

“While he was engaged to my mother he gave her three or four $20 hills, and then one day he gave me $100 to give to her. She lived in Atlantic City and I wrote to her about the money. She told me to keep it. A little later, Mangini gave me $40 or $50, but I made no promises. My mother did all that.. I know that this woman Matilda got $50, too, but I don’t don’t know what for. "

Got Marriage License

“On January 4 I went with my mother and Mangini to Camden city hall, where they got a marriage license, A few days later they were married. I know that for a fact. "

Mrs. Burns admitted to Troncone that her father was still living. She said he and her mother had been separated for sixteen years, but added that they had never been married.

Questioned about her own marital state, Mrs. Burns admitted she had lived for nine years with a man she called Frank Caparale. She said the last time she saw him was four months ago. She denied she had ever been married to him. She has been married to Leo Burns for several years.

Police To Probe Stories

It was this part of the woman’s story that resulted in the trial before Judge Bernard Bertman this morning being continued for a week. Detectives wish to check on the present marital state of both Mrs. Burns and her mother. Furthermore they are anxious to know whether Mangini and the mother are now married.

Mrs. Burns has changed twice her story twice on this point. She told detectives she was positive they were married and she told Judge Bertman she wasn’t sure whether they were.

Police also revealed today that Mrs. Burns appeared in police court five weeks ago as complaining witness against Mrs. Irene Aspello, 405 Stevens Street, who has since moved 19 South Fifth Street. Mrs. Burns charged Mrs. Aspello with running a disorderly house and selling liquor. The defendant accused Mrs. Burns of stealing her bedclothes while she was living with her. Because neither story was substantiated, the case was dismissed, after Mrs. Burns had charged that policemen were aware of Mrs. Aspello’s law violations..

Camden Courier-Post - February 10, 1928
Raymond Stark

Camden Courier-Post - February 27, 1928
Blonde, Accusing Three Men Disappears as Time for Trial Nears
Husband Reports 2-Year Old Daughter Also Has Vanished
Bernard Bertman - Samuel M. Shay - Fiore Troncone
James Abbonizio - Fiore Dalesandro - Louis Derenzo - Thomas O'Neil
Michael Riccarti - Sara Riccarti
South 2nd Street -
South Third Street - South 4th Street
Benson Street - Pearl Street - Pine Street -
Stevens Street - Washington Street   

Camden Courier-Post - April 4, 1928
Joseph DiCiccio - Fiore Troncone
South 2nd Street -
North 33rd Street
Front Street - Kaighn Avenue - Pine Street -

Camden Evening Courier (Courier-Post) - October 11, 1928

Police Seeking Mysterious Stranger in Terrific Downtown Blast

Crudely Made Explosive Placed in Trench Beneath Steps

With the owners and the police attributing jealously of business success as the only plausible motive for the bombing last night of the plant of the Sanitary Milk Dairies Company, at 311 Division Street. Search was started today for a tall, heavyset man, with mixed blue suit, as the bomber.

City detectives mingled among the throngs of men, woman and children who today viewed the damage caused by the bomb - a crude, home - made time device - which, in exploding, rocked the neighborhood, shattered window panes, doors, fences and the exteriors of nearby properties. Machinery in the Coccia plant was damaged by the concussion and by parts of bomb shrapnel, which pierced or bent it.

Mrs. Angelina Coccia, mother of the Coccia brothers, her daughter, Theresa Coccia, 14, and Mrs. Mary De Luzzio, 59, of 317 Division Street, were in the kitchen of the Coccia home when the bomb exploded. The dairy is at the rear of the home of Primo Coccia, one of the owners. His brothers -partners in the business are Paul Coccia, 242 Pine Street; Adam Coccia, 346 Cherry Street, and Matthew Coccia, 941 South Third Street.

Saw Mysterious Stranger

Mrs. Coccia cannot speak English, but through her son, Matthew Coccia, it was learned today that, before the explosion, she had seen a man passing the kitchen window.

"The man walked down the alley at the side of the house," Mrs. Coccia told her son in Italian. "He was a heavy-set man and tall; I thought he was a customer who had come for milk. People often come at night to buy milk, and I did not think it strange about the man.

"But then I waited for hi to knock at the back door, as customers usually do," she continued.

"When he did not knock, I wondered what he might be up to, and I was just ready to leave the kitchen to see where he went when I heard the explosion. I did not know what happened after that, I was so nervous, I didn't even see the man leave the way he came. But he was the one who set the bomb. Of that I am sure."

Dog Vainly Warns

The Coccia's have a big Italian Bulldog chained to a gasoline tank at the rear of their home. The dog barked continually last night to warn the Coccias, they were so used to his barks, they said today, that they thought he had been growling at a customer, as he sometimes does late at night.

Mrs. Coccia said she was unable to give a detailed description of the man she saw last night because an electric bulb in the alleyway was not lit. It was the first time the alley was in darkness at night. Matthew Coccia said, and this the bomber apparently took into consideration in seeking to go about his diabolical tasks without possible detection.

Coccia said boys living in the neighborhood saw the man enter an automobile, with lights out, immediately after the explosion shook the neighborhood. The car, they said, had been parked near the Coccia home with its front and rear lights out.

Detective Fiore Troncone, who is investigating the bombing, informed Coccia today that he had received a description of the automobile from Coccia's neighbors. They said they had seen the driver put on the lights of Fourth and Division Street as he turned the corner to go north in his escape.

Rev. John S. Hackett, pastor of the Wiley M.E. Church, Third and Berkley Streets, who was among those viewing the damage done by the bomb, said he saw the man acting nervously at Third and Pine Street last night, immediately after the explosion. His description of the man tallied with that given by Mrs. Coccia.

"I was waiting for the first edition of the Morning Post to arrive at the store at that comer." Mr. Hackett said today, "when my attention was attracted to this man. He seemed to be very nervous about something. He was fairly tall and heavy - set and wore a mixed blue suit, with light coloring.

"When the papers arrived and I bought a copy, he seemed to be very anxious to see what was on the front page. I did not know about the bomb until I read the paper, but it occurred t me later that perhaps this man was acting suspiciously and was eager to see what damage had been caused. I'm sorry now I didn't question him. But I can give police a good description of him.

The Coccias said the only reason they could see for the bombing was jealousy of their business success by a person with a deranged mind.

"We had no enemies," Matthew Coccia said, "and we never fought with anybody. I cannot understand it. It must have been jealousy at the way we were getting along."

Coccia said no threatening letters had been received. He insisted that there was no reason why the "Blackhand" should desire to ruin Primo Coccia's home or their business.

Neighbors called police and fireman.

Detectives found a firemen's shovel near where the stone steps to the dairy had been. They believed it had been used to dig a trench under the steps in which to insert the bomb.

Primo Coccia, who had been to the theatre, came home five minutes after the explosion. He found a throng in front and dazedly pushed through until his mother hysterically screamed the news to him.

The bomb burst in the dairy door and sprayed big pieces of the iron pipe along the side of the house and into the room, where it caused most of the damage to the machinery.

Fifteen windows of the Coccia house were shattered and police believe the foundations at the rear may have been weakened.

The worst damage to neighboring buildings was to the rear of the Seven Brothers Bakery, owned by the Canzanese Brothers, 318­22 Pine Street, which backs against the dairy. Twenty windows of the bakery were crushed in, the door was riddles with small pieces of the pipe and the rear was peppered with the "shrapnel. "

Mario Manarefi, 912 South Fourth street, a bookkeeper in the bakery, was at his home nearby. He ran to the street and looked several minutes for the bombers before he joined the crowd.

Joseph Scotthouse, 317 Division Street, ran to the yard at the rear of his home to find the fence had been peppered with tiny pieces of the pipe, some of which had tom into his kitchen through windows and doors.

Six windows of the home of Sabatino Di Paolo, 321 Division Street, were broken. Fragments of the pipe were found on the floor of rooms on the second floor of his house, he told police.

A police cordon was thrown around the neighborhood by Chief of Police Stehr, who took personal charge of the investigation. 

Where Bomb Rocked Neighborhood

Chief of Police Stehr is shown pointing to the spot under the back steps of the Camden Sanitary Dairy Company at 311 Division Street, Where a time bomb exploded last night, The bomb was placed under the steps.

Police from every district in the city were rushed to the scene and patrols were dispatched to be prepared for any eventuality.

The neighborhood was searched carefully and every resident was questioned, but no one was able to give any clue which might lead police to the bombers.

Squads of detectives and police patrolled the neighborhood for hours after the explosion, seeking objects, which might have been dropped by the bombers.


Camden Courier-Post 
April 29, 1929



John Doris - Joseph O'Connor - American Restaurant - Kaighn Avenue

Camden Courier-Post * April 29, 1929

John Doris - Frank Doris - Joseph O'Connor aka Joseph Connors - Broadway - Kaighn Avenue

Russell Sage - Mechanic Street - James "Jimmie" Toland - Nonpariel Club
Charles Riehm - Haddon Avenue - William Kelly aka Leo Morton - Van Hook Street
Harry Selah - South 3rd Street - William J. Merrick - Liberty Street - Lorenzo Cole - Jefferson Avenue
Ernest Matsios - Leo McKenna - Mt. Vernon Street - United Shoe Repair - Amber Street

Joseph Leonhardt - Samuel Johnson - Gustav Koerner - Joseph Carpani - Thomas Cheeseman
Sylvester McGrath - Fiore Troncone - Joseph "Mose" Flannery - Lewis Stehr

Frank T. Lloyd Sr.
David S. Rhone
Rocco Palese
Lawrence T. Doran

Raymond O'Connor - Hughy McLoon

Camden Courier-Post * March 25, 1930

Year in Prison Withdrawn Because Lawyer Has Made Restitution

After he had changed his pleas of not guilty to non vult Charles F. Squillace, former Camden attorney, was given one year in state prison by Judge Samuel M. Shay yesterday afternoon and then the sentence was suspended.

Squillace was charged with embezzlement, larceny as bailee and issuing a worthless check. He had been a fugitive from justice six years. The court suspended sentence after it was announced he had made restitution to former clients.

When he went into court yesterday Squillace entered pleas of not guilty to five indictments through his attorney, Carl Kisselman.

Squillace said he would have pleaded non vult at the morning session if he could have reached an agreement with a former client, Mrs. Marie Fanelli, West Berlin. He passed a worthless check for $600 on her and she demanded six years interest through her attorney, Francis G. Homan. A compromise was affected.

Fugitive Since 1923

A fugitive from justice since the December, 1923; grand jury returned nine true bills against him, Squillace was arrested in Washington, D. C., last July by County Detective Fiore Troncone, who found him and his wife operating a beauty shop.

Squillace is said to have readily admitted his guilt and agreed to return to this city and face the consequences. He was released in $3500 bail on August 3, 1929, his bond being signed by Ralph Cavallo of Kaighn Avenue near Third Street. '

During the time that Squillace has been at liberty, his lawyers declare he has been making weekly payments on the total $2865 which he is charged with diverting from funds clients entrusted to him for real estate transactions in 1922 and 1923.

Rather than face disbarment proceedings, Squillace resigned as a member of the Camden County Bar Association shortly before he hastily left Camden after discovering that he could not repay the money which he had received and used in several personal real estate deals.             -

The indictments for larceny as bailee, his accusers and amounts involved, are: Frank Canola, $800; Mrs. Marie Fannelli, $600; Albert Covitto, $245; Antonio Di Maio, $350; Angelina Palaia, $600; Aorozio Martines, $125, and Nick Monocchio, $100.

The embezzlement true bill was returned against Squillace at the instance of Canola, who charged him with swindling him out of $45.

Camden Courier-Post - March 29, 1930


Charles Pinto, 28, of 230 Benson Street, who is wanted as a material witness against Garfield Del Duca, former proprietor of the Ringside Inn, was still at large last night.

Pinto fled from Criminal Court Thursday while county Detective Fiore Troncone was on his way to the office of Justice of the Peace William F. Laird after Assistant Prosecutor Rocco Palese had ordered his arrest.

Palese alleges Pinto suddenly failed, to remember he had confessed that Del Duca was one of his companions when four automobiles, were stolen '10 years ago.' Palese said somebody had talked to Pinto before he went on the witness stand.

The police believe Pinto is hiding in Philadelphia. Del Duca's trial resumes Monday.

Camden Courier-Post * November 27, 1930
Theodore Jackucki - Meyer Albert - Leon Grenkwicz - Fiore Troncone - Clifford A. Baldwin - Melvin Cain
Constantine Grenkwicz - Viola Jakucki - Lucy Jakucki - Helen Jakucki - Joseph Jakucki
Sigmund "Sig" Jakucki - Whitman Avenue - Kaighn Avenue - Louis Street

Camden Courier-Post - November 29, 1930

Camden Courier-Post - October 20, 1931

Italian Women Republicans Stage Second Annual Ball

Prominent Republicans gathered last night at the First Italian Republican League hall, 813 South Fourth Street, for the second annual ball of the Camden County Italian Women's Republican Club.

The grand march was led by Mr. and Mrs. Antonio Mecca, followed by Mr. and Mrs. Anthony Laviano, Mr. and Mrs. Cascini, Mrs. Mamie Piraine, president of the club, with Anthony Di Marino, and Mrs. Anna Larusso with Harry Larusso.

Mrs. Mecca was chairman of the ball, assisted by Mrs. Laviano, secretary; Mrs. John Gargano, treasurer; Mrs. Frank Valeriano and Miss Mary Lario.

In addition to Mrs. Piraine, officers of the club are Mrs. Larusso, secretary; Mrs. Margaret Viggiano, secretary; Mrs. Josephine Tamru, financial secretary, and Mrs. Madeline Salvatore, treasurer.

Among the guests were Walter S. Keown, chairman of the Republican county committee; Assemblymen Frank M. Traveline, Jr., and George D. Rothermel, Postmaster Charles H. Ellis, County Detective Fiore Troncone, Miss Marie Doyle and Mrs. Pauline Caperoon, of Republican headquarters, and Walter Sekula, candidate for freeholder from the Eighth Ward.

Camden Courier-Post - October 31, 1931

Political Paragraphs

Gloucester Republicans concluded their final Baird rally of the campaign last night at their headquarters, 101 North King Street.

Polls throughout the slate will open for the general election Tuesday at 7 a.m. and close at 8 p.m. All voters in the polling place at 8 p.m. or in the room "'here the election is taking place, or in line, shall be permitted to vote, under the law. Election officers have been instructed to place a police officer at the end of the line at 8 p.m.

Black Horse pike Republican factions have united in a combined front to further the candidacy of David Baird, Jr., for governor. There are no local fights in the party during the current campaign. There were intense local primary battles, principally in Runnemede and Gloucester Township, but all factions in those municipalities are now working for Baird.

A bitter contest for justice of the peace in the Eighth Ward will be waged at the election on Tuesday. William Lane, of 1634 Broadway, is one of the seven seeking one of three vacancies. Lane is the nephew of James M. Lane, who was prominent politically several years ago. He is a captain in the Moose Lodge bugle corps. He is also secretary and treasurer of the Regular Eighth Ward Republican Club. Of the seven men running for justice of the peace, four are Democrats.

Mrs. Emma E. Hyland, Democratic state committee woman, and Assemblyman George D. Rothermel are wagering each other a hat on the outcome of the gubernatorial race between Baird and Moore. Rothermel, however, will have to pay more for a hat for Mrs. Hyland, should Baird pay for a fedora for Rothermel, should Moore be defeated.

A revival of the old-time political parade was staged last night by the First Italian Republican League when more than 200 automobiles and several hundred marchers passed through Camden streets to the accompaniment of stirring music.

Led by former Coroner Antonio Mecca and County Detective Fiore Troncone, the parade passed from the league's clubhouse, 813 South Fourth Street, to West Street, to Benson Street, to Broadway, past the Republican headquarters, to Mickle Street, to Third to Chestnut and back to the clubhouse. Meetings held on various floors of the clubhouse drew several thousand voters..

Camden Courier-Post - March 21, 1932


Charles "Jack" Kelly, wanted as one of the bandits who held up and robbed the Pennsauken Township National Bank December 11, sailed from Bermuda yesterday handcuffed to County Detective Fiore Troncone

Kelly was arrested last month after detectives intercepted his letters to friends near Third and Mt. Vernon Streets. Extradition procedure followed.

Michael Spingotti and Anthony Tate were said to be Kelly's partners in the holdup. Tate pleaded guilty before Judge Samuel M. Shay and was given 15 years in state prison. Spingotti is awaiting trial.

Camden Courier-Post * December 20, 1932
Charles Laib Charles J. "Jeff" Kay Theodore Guthrie Howard Smith
J. Oscar Till - Louise F. Walsh - John W. Golden - Charles H. Ellis - Charles Humes
South 24th Street - North 25th Street - North 4th Street - Penn Street - Fiore Troncone - Chestnut Street
Sheltering Arms Home - Newton Ash - William Michalak - John J. Robinson - Roy R. Stewart

Camden Courier-Post - February 2, 1933

Suspect in Triple Murder Held in 'Cold storage'; Girl Victim Buried

Benjamin "Benny" Meinster, held in connection with the triple Philadelphia vice den killings last Thursday, has obtained a writ of habeas corpus, returnable today, to show why he should be held. 

Meinster, latest so-called "sweetie" of Sue Ricci, Camden girl and one of the victims, was arrested Tuesday and has been held in "cold storage" since that time while detectives have attempted to learn if he had any connection with the killings.

The Ricci woman, 22 and redheaded, was shot to death by a jealous gunman who invaded a North Ninth street house in Philadelphia, armed with two guns. Mrs. Yetta Cohen, 40, the proprietress, was killed when she interfered and Patrolman Frederick Dolan was murdered when he tried to arrest the slayer.

Meinster, who lives at Sixth and South streets, was said by the police to be the man who stole Sue away from the gunman who did the shooting. He denied any knowledge of the case.

Meanwhile, they released Joseph Burgo, 20, of 304 Cherry street, Camden, who was questioned Tuesday. Burgo satisfied the police he was innocent of any connection with the case. He was under suspicion, detectives said, because he shot and wounded Joseph Mazzare. Another of Sue's sweethearts, now in jail for carrying concealed weapons. 

Services for Mrs. Ricci, mother of a 5-year-old son, Albert, Jr., were held from the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Michael Marino, 1917 South Fourth Street. Rev. Martin S. Stockett, rector of the Episcopal Church of Our Savior, Broadway and Viola street, officiated. Burial was in New Camden Cemetery.

The body of the dead girl lay on a white couch-casket. The room was banked with flowers. Members of the family sobbed as the minister read the brief services of the church. Outside, the idle curious and friends lined both sides of Fourth street. One hundred automobiles were strung along the curb to take those who cared to go to the cemetery. 

Policemen in uniform and Camden and Philadelphia detectives who mingled with the crowd in the hope of picking up some clue, estimated that at least 700 persons were in attendance. The Camden detectives were George Zeitz and Clifford Del Rossi, and County Detective Fiore Troncone

Camden Courier-Post - February 2, 1933

Sentenced by Judge Shay After Pleading Guilty to Holdup Charge

Pleading guilty in criminal court to holding up two South Camden men last February, and to a gun toting charge Louis "Blackie" Battino, 23, of 805 South Fifth street, was sentenced to three to five years in state prison by Judge Samuel M. Shay yesterday.

Bottino, who was captured in a New York "love nest" on a fugitive warrant after he jumped a $5000 bail bond here, was first arrested by Detective Thomas Cheeseman on the night of the holdup. He was identified by Marvin Johnson, of 926 South Ninth Street, and Louis Puggsley, of 312 Benson Street, who said the man stuck a revolver in a car in which they were seated and robbed them of $28.

County Detective Fiore Troncone and New York detectives surprised Bottino in an apartment at Ninth Avenue and Fifty-fourth Street, New York, with a woman. Patsy Costagno, 23, of 2412 South Watts Street, Philadelphia, an alleged accomplice of Bottino, was sentenced April 19, 1932, to serve 13 years in jail on three indictments for participation in the crime and carrying concealed deadly weapons.

C. Lawrence Gregorio, counsel for Battino, pleaded for another chance for his client, pointing out the youth of the prisoner. Judge Shay, however, remained unmoved and imposed sentence.

Camden Courier-Post - February 9, 1933

Camden Wrestler and Bride Are Are Given Dinner Attended by Notables

Miss Emma Palladino, one of the fairest daughters of Camden's "Little Italy" yesterday became the bride of Joseph Montana, heavyweight wrestler, at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church, Fourth and Division streets.

Idol of Italian youth in this city Montana was hailed by hundreds of them outside the church. A number of relatives and friends, including prominent figures in the legal and professional life of the city, attended a dinner in honor of the couple at Overbrook Villa, Lindenwold, following the ceremony.  

The bride, 20, is the daughter

of Joseph Palladino, commercial photographer of 1115 South Fourth street. She graduated from Camden High school in 1928. Montana is 26 and a contender for the world's heavy-weight wrestling diadem. Following a wedding tour through the West the couple plan to reside in Camden.

Miss Emenia D' Alesio, of Audubon, and Miss Rose Marini and Miss Cecelia Szymanski, of Camden, served as bridesmaids. Attending the groom were Gene Mariano, Michel D'Ilesia and William Palladino. The bride carried a bouquet of lillies of the valley and white roses while her attendants held tulips and roses. The church was beautifully decorated with varied floral designs, gold ribbons, silks and satins.

The guest list at the bridal dinner included: Assemblyman Frank M. Travaline, Jr., City Commissioner Clay W. Reesman, director of parks and public property; Acting Chief of Police of John W. Golden, former Prosecutor and Mrs. Ethan P. Wescott, Samuel P. Orlando, Guido Laurini, Detective Fiore Troncone, Antonio Mecca, Mr. and Mrs. William Denof, Mr. and Mrs. Pasquale Ianuzzi, Frank H. Ryan, Thomas H. Ryan, Dr. and Mrs. Robert Principato, Mr. and Mrs. William AveraIl, Luke McKenna, Mr. and Mrs. Gene Mariani, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Abbott, Frank P. Cocchiaraley and Miss Regina Cocchiaraley, all of Camden; Miss Mary Montana, and Mr. and Mrs. Ettore Montana, of Columbus OH., and Aristadino D'Guilia and sons, Albert and Peter, of Buffalo, NY.

Camden Courier-Post - June 19, 1933

Woodlynne Woman Says She Was Swindled Out of $63

A self-styled naturalist was held in $5000 bail yesterday in Philadelphia on a warrant from Camden on a charge of fleecing a Woodlynne woman patient out of $63. He is alleged to have, promised to cure her of rheumatism. 

The defendant, Dominico Mattioni, 38, of 1229 South Fifteenth street, Philadelphia, was arrested after an extensive investigation by Fiore Troncone, Camden County detective, who was assisted by Detectives Harry Neill and Charles Amorosi, of the Twentieth and Federal Streets police station, 

The detectives said Mattioni has been posing as "Dr. Mattioni", and was arrested on a Camden warrant, issued at Troncone's, instance, charging the obtaining of money under false pretenses. 

Mattioni was held in bail for extradition, to Camden, where his case will be presented to the Camden County Grand Jury. Troncone testified that the woman alleged to have been victimized by Mattioni is Mrs. Mary Onoranto, of 337 Evergreen Avenue, Woodlynne. The detective said Mattioni told Nick Onoranto, the woman's husband, that he could cure her of rheumatism and that he wanted $260. The "doctor," however, received only $63, Troncone related. The woman was not cured, he added. 

Troncone told the magistrate that he is investigating several other similar cases in which Mattloni may be involved..

Camden Courier-Post - June 26, 1933

On Deathbed, She Orders 4 Children to Say She Fell on Stairs

Woman Slashed by Broken Decanter; Man Faces Murder Charge Today

A death-bed command of a South Camden mother to her four children to stick to their story failed of its motive last night and the woman's husband was arrested on suspicion of murder.

The charge will be changed today, police said, to one of murder.

"Say only what I say, that I fell down the steps."

Mrs. Philomena Marcozzi, 4l, died in West Jersey Homeopathic Hospital shortly after she made that remark; at 4 p.m. yesterday. She bled to death from a severe cut on her left arm.

At her bedside were her children, Josephine, 15; Ida, 13; Louise, 17, and David, 19.

Cops' Suspicions Aroused Nearby

Out of sight of the dying woman, stood Detectives Clifford Del Rossi and Fiore Troncone.

Their suspicions aroused, the sleuths renewed their investigation. As a result the woman's husband, Guilio Marcozzi, 55, of 321 Line Street was put in the city jail last night, charged with the death of his wife.

Mrs. Marcozzi was cut with the jagged edge of a broken wine decanter, during an argument with her husband over the cleaning of some hardshelled crabs.

But it wasn't the children who said that.

A neighbor, Mrs. Ida Lupini, 31, of 311 Line Street, was in the Marcozzi home when the children returned Sunday night from a crabbing trip to Sea Side Heights. She told police, they declared, that she saw the children jubilantly deposit their catch on the kitchen table.     

Then she watched, alarmed and afraid to leave, as Marcozzi told his wife to "throw them out."

The wife refused.

The husband insisted, and when his wife told him he should clean the crabs, he grasped the wine decanter and struck the mother over the temple, Mrs. Lupini said.

Cut by Jagged 'Glass'

The decanter broke. Grasping the long, neck of the bottle, Marcozzi continued to attack his wife. He swung the jagged edge towards her breast, and to protect, herself she raised her arm.

The broken bottle cut deeply into her skin. An artery was severed.

Then the children rushed, the mother to West Jersey Homeopathic Hospital.

That is the story Mrs. Lupini told: according to Acting Chief of Police John W. Golden and Assistant Prosecutor Rocco Palese.

The mother told hospital attaches she fell down the steps of her, home, cutting her arm on the broken bits of a bottle she was carrying at the             time.    

The children, hearing this story, corroborated her.

Wife Dying- Man at Work

The father failed to appear at the hospital. Police were forced to get him at his work yesterday, according to Detective Joseph Carpani, when his wife was dying.

Last night he denied the crime. He said he was not at home when his wife suffered the fatal injury.

But his children, confronted with Mrs. Lupini's tale, broke down and confessed, according to police.

Eighteen hours of almost constant questioning of the Lupini woman by Detectives Carpani, Del Rossi and Troncone solved the tragedy. All three were complimented last night by Acting Police Chief John W. Golden.

Camden Courier-Post * May 17, 1934
Click on Image to Enlarge



South 4th Street - South 6th Street - Hale Street - Viola Street - Dr. Orris W. Saunders
George Zeitz - Nicholas Scarduzio - Walter Sekula - Edmund Walsh - Mamie Piraine
Theresa DiLello - William Tansky Jr. - Leon Branch - Fiore Troncone -  John Hess
Joseph Samenich - Nicholas Sustich - Isaac Shute

Camden Evening Courier - December 10, 1936
Charles H. Ellis - Antonio Mecca - Fiore Troncone - Clifford Baldwin 
Richard Troncone - Anthony Troncone - William Troncone
Mrs. Raphael Laviano - Farnham Park - Christopher Columbus statue
Gladys May Parks - Jack Kelly
Market Street - Pine Street - South 4th Street 

Camden Evening Courier
December 11, 1936


Elisha A. Gravenor - William J. Kraft - Fiore Troncone - Wilson Ashbridge Richard Troncone - Anthony Troncone - William Troncone
Mrs. Raphael Laviano
Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church - Kaighn's Point Ferry - Cooper Hospital
South 4th Street
- Market Street - Pine Street - Division Street