EDWARD ALOYSIUS WELSH was a bar and restaurant owner who also served as New Jersey's State Boxing and Wrestling Inspector when those sports began being regulated by state government. 

Edward A. Welsh was born in Ireland on December 17, 1982 to Michael and Katherine Welsh. His family came to the USA shortly afterwards. His sister Mary Ella was born in 1894, and the family appears to have come to Camden not long after her birth. Edward A. Welsh grew up in Camden, attending St. Mary's Parochial School. He boxed successfully as a bantamweight, but did not turn professional. He did 

The Welsh family was living at 919 Lawrence Street when the 1902 Camden City Directory was compiled. Edward Welsh first appears in City Directories in 1903, living at 919 Lawrence Street, and working as a bartender, most likely at John Graham's establishment at 800 Fern Street. The 1905 New Jersey State Census shows Edward A Welsh living with his parents and siblings, Mary Ella, John Francis, Anna, and Michael Joseph at 614 Cedar Street. Directories show him at that address as late as 1908.

In 1906 Edward A. Welsh went to work for Owen Kernan at 601 Pearl Street. When John Graham retired and sold the bar at 800 Fern Street to John McGovern in 1907, Edward A. Welsh went back to his old haunt for a few months. IN March of 1908 he went to work as a bartender for James Daly at 401 Market Street. In January of 1910 he went to work in Philadelphia as bartender at the Penn Hotel, and stayed into 1912. The 1910 Federal Census shows him as a bartender, living with his wife of less than a year, the former Sarah Sallie" Kinsey, at 517 Bailey Street.

The 1912 City Directory shows Edward A. Welsh working as a manger and living at 625 York Street. Before 1912 had ended, Edward A. Welsh went into the bar business for himself at 225 North 9th Street. He sold the bar in the spring of 1916, and involve himself for a few years in a real estate and brokerage firm that operated in Philadelphia and Atlantic City. City Directories show him living at 814 Penn Street in 1916, 722 North 9th Street in 1917, and at 625 York Street in 1918, where he remained as late as January 1920. The 1920 Census shows Edward A. and Sarah Welsh, with their young son Edward Newell Welsh, still living at 625 York Street. The census also states that he owned a hotel, this would be The Newell, in Atlantic City. 

Edward A. Welsh acquired the bar at 601 Pearl Street in 1921, where he had worked at during the 1900s when Owen Kernan had the business. Besides Owen Kernan, who had it from 1906 to 1911, The other owners prior to Welsh's involvement, according to Camden City Directories were, as follows William Kohl (1896-1900), Ernest Allen (1900-1904), George Lotz (1905-1906), James "Jimmy" Martin (1911-1912) and John H. Smith (1913-1915) Matthew Geoghegan had the bar from 1915 to 1921. Welsh, who was quite well known in Camden called his bar Eddie Welsh's Cafe. 

Edward A. Welsh was active politically as a Republican in the Second and Tenth Wards, with a large circle of friends and acquaintances as a result of his years in the bar and restaurant business. He was a close friend of John S. Smith, New Jersey's first boxing commissioner.  On September 13, 1923 Edward A. Welsh was named inspector for Camden County by Nelson A.K. Bugbee, New Jersey State Boxing Commissioner.

Edward A. Welsh operated at 601 Pearl Street until 1929, when the bar was padlocked for a year due to Prohibition violations. He then sold his interest in the business to Edward W. "Big Ed" Williams. He also moved to 429 White Horse Pike in Haddon Heights, New Jersey.  After leaving the bar, Edward A. Welsh concentrated his work efforts on his job as inspector of boxing and wrestling, and on his work as chairman of the Camden Lodge of Elks' Krippled Kiddies charity boxing events, a post he held for the rest of his life. He was also involved with Camden Aerie No. 65, Fraternal Order of Eagles, and the Ancient Order of Hibernians.

Edward A. Welsh fell ill in December of 1931. He died at home on January 16, 1932 and was buried at New St. Mary's Cemetery in Bellmawr, New Jersey. 

Camden Post-Telegram * August 21, 1905

Edward A. Welsh - Cedar Street - 800 Fern Street

Camden Post-Telegram * July 6, 1906

Edward A. Welsh - Owen Kernan - Robert Peacock - 601 Pearl Street

Camden Daily Courier
January 15, 1907

Edward A. Welsh - Owen Kernan

Camden Daily Courier
November 22, 1907

Edward A. Welsh - John Graham
John McGovern -
800 Fern Street


Camden Daily Courier
March 8, 1908

Edward A. Welsh - Cedar Street
James Daly "The Blue Ribbon"
401 Market Street

Camden Post-Telegram
January 31, 1910

Camden Post-Telegram
August 5, 1910

Camden Daily Courier
May 20, 1912

James Nesbitt
Penn Hotel
Frank Lange
Ping Bodie
Wid Conroy

Camden Post-Telegram
November 25, 1913

South 9th Street - Lawrence Street
John F. Welsh - "Lof" Anderson

World War I Draft Card

Camden Post-Telegram * August 9, 1920

Camden Daily Courier
November 2, 1920


Camden Post-Telegram
September 14 1923

John S. Smith









Camden Courier-Post - January 13, 1928

Sergeant Ray Smith Heads Committee In Charge of Arrangement  for Jousts

Not to be outdone by any local organization, Corporal Raymond C. Thoirs Post, of the American Legion, passed a resolution last night in favor of staging a monster boxing show at Convention Hall sometime next month. Half the receipts will be donated to further the Boy Scout Movement.

Sergeant Ray Smith, former heavyweight boxer and now a licensed referee, was elected to head the committee on arrangements, which consists if ten members; Judge Frank F. Neutze, Dr. Irwin B. Deibert, Tom Taylor, J. Harry Ashton, Harry E. Bayne, George P. Rothermel, Albert Wehner, Fireman Ray Smith and Jack Weinberg will assist the sergeant in making the show a success.

A businessmenís committee also will be appointed, but as yet has not been named by the legion committee members.

It is the intention of the committee to bring some of the best boxers in the country here for the show, which they will make an annual affair providing the initial one is a success. Chairman Smith stated today that he would apply for a boxing permit from Deputy Boxing Commissioner Edward A. Welsh at once.

Camden Courier-Post - January 28, 1928

St. Joan of Arc Church Bouts Furnish Plenty of Action Throughout

Fifteen sizzling amateur boxing bouts, together with nine acts of vaudeville, were presented to a capacity crowd in the St. Joan of Arc Church gym, Fairview. The proceeds derived from the affair will go toward the church building fund.

In the feature bout, Bob Zimmerman, of Fairview, unintentionally fouled Eddie O'Tell of South Camden, in the first round and Referee Joe Bonnell immediately stopped the fuss. Zimmerman was in the lead when O'Tell, in attempting to avoid a left hook to the body, leaped into the air with the result that the punch landed low.

Zimmerman, in order not to disappoint the crowd went three rounds with Mickey Murtha. Battling Mack and Pee Wee Ross staged a clown act, while Johnny Lucas met Billy De Lue; Tommy Lyons clashed with Jack Stanley; "Peaches" Gray tackled Terrible Pine; Joe Colon faced Billy Osborne, and George Anderson encountered Milton Bamford. All bouts were limited to three rounds.

Deputy Boxing Commissioner Edward A. Welsh attended the affair, and when introduced by Announcer Bill Kennedy received an ovation that lasted fully five minutes. Mrs. Mary Walsh Kobus, a member of the city board of censors also was present.

Sergeant Ray Smith assisted Bonell in refereeing, while John McGraw was timekeeper. It was one of the most successful affairs ever conducted by the church athletic association.  

Camden Courier-Post * September 1, 1928


Joe Spearing - Joey Michaels - Roxie Allen - Emery Cabana - Sgt. Ray Smith - Edward A. Welsh
Kid Boots - Joe Lill - Joe "Kid" Kelly - Freddy Bailey - Frankie Mack - Joey Powell


Camden Courier-Post
September 1, 1928

Joe Spearing - Joey Michaels
Roxie Allen - Emery Cabana
Sgt. Ray Smith - Edward A. Welsh
Kid Boots - Joe Lill
Joe "Kid" Kelly - Freddy Bailey
Frankie Mack - Joey Powell
Thomas Walters
George Dean
Joe Valentine



Camden Morning Post * November 12, 1929


Camden Courier-Post
September 22, 1931

Samuel E. Harring
Edward A. Welsh
North Front Street
Pearl Street


Camden Morning Post * January 16, 1932



Camden Evening Courier
January 16, 1932







Camden Evening Courier
January 16, 1932

Camden Lodge 293, 
Benevolent Protective Order of Elks
Ancient Order of Hibernians

Camden Lodge 111, Loyal Order of Moose
Aerie No. 65 Fraternal Order of Eagles