EARL STOPFER was born in Philadelphia PA on March 29, 1899. In 1910 he was living with his grandmother, Elanine Basert. By the time he registered for the draft on September 12, 1918, he had married. Earl and Alamanda Stopfer then lived at 827 East Tioga Street in Philadelphia. He was then working as a forge machine operator for the Midvale steel and Ordinance Company.

When the Census was enumerated in January of 1920 the young couple lived at 246 Division Street with their four month old son Earl W. Stopfer. Earl Stopfer was then working at a leather factory. A daughter named Frances would follow by 1922. When the 1924 Camden City Directory was compiled, the Stopfer family lived at 246 Burns Street in the Poets Row section of North Camden. On April 25, 1924 Earl Stopfer became a member of the Camden Police Department along with Thomas Kauffman. By 1929 and into the 1930s Earl and Alamenda Stopfer owned a home at 114 South 27th Street in East Camden. 

 In the early 1930s Earl Stopfer was at times partnered with Officer William Thorn. Around 1935 he began working with Officer George F. Jefferis. During World War II the two were widely known throughout the city for their work in the sale of $4,000,000 in war bonds, and for guiding and instructing public and parochial school safety patrols. During that period the two men organized safety patrols in 38 schools with a membership of 1058.

The two patrolmen in 1948 ago completed a colored, sound motion picture, "A Plan For Safety", financed by the Atlantic Refining Co. Since then the film has been shown throughout the United States, Canada, Hawaiian Islands, and in the United Kingdom. The picture was filmed in Camden, with the two policemen and Camden schoolchildren as characters. 

Among the cities which have announced they have organized safety patrols along the lines shown in the picture are Vineland, Millville, Akron OH, Cincinnati OH, Springfield MA, Memphis TN, Washington DC, Bloomington IN, Salt Lake City UT, Topeka KS, Richland WA, Boston MA, Lancaster PA, Honolulu HI, and Toronto, Canada.

The film has been shown before hundreds of civic, social, and service groups, and parent-teacher associations. It relates various duties and requirements for school safety patrol members and shows them in correct activities in the event of fire alarms and drills, operation of children's courts, holding of safety meetings, care of children on streets, and holding of program planning meetings.

In the 1940s Earl and Alamenda Stopfer moved to a newly-built townhouse at 15 North Dudley Street. He was still living at that address as late as the fall of 1956. Earl Stopfer does not appear in the 1959 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory.

World War I Draft Card

Trenton Times - August 14, 1929


Robert Ashenfelter - William Moll - Earl Stopfer - Clay Reesman
Joe Snyder - Grover Wearshing - Elwood Bearint - Orville Danenhower
Pete Weygand - Bill Werking - Elmer Loeble - Rock Reeves

Camden Courier-Post - June 5, 1933

Kidnap Suspect


One of three South Camden youths who is accused of kidnapping and robbing Byron P. Cobb, the "Sun Doctor." Cobb told police he was slugged and robbed of $4700 early yesterday. 

Man, Robbed, Left in Road By Kidnappers
Byron P. Cobb Beaten by Autoists; Roll of $4700 Taken

Byron P. Cobb, 62, the "Sun Doctor," was kidnapped by three , men early yesterday, beaten and robbed of $4700 before, being tossed from moving automobile in Farnham Park.

Detectives found him in a sub­conscious condition laying in the middle of River Drive, after a motorist had heard his moans and notified police.

Three South Camden youths, arrested for a motor violation at about the time Cobb was found; later were identified by the awn­ing manufacturer as the ones who kidnapped and robbed him. They are Primo Fioravanti, 20, of 435 Division Street; Anthony Scanalvilli, 20, of 326 Division Street, and John Piliere, 19, of 1130 South 3rd Street.

All are being held on charges of kidnapping, atrocious assault and battery and highway robbery. They will be given a hearing today in police court. Later a charge of larceny of an automobile was placed against them.

Cobb, who for many years operated an awning manufacturing shop at Fifth and Royden Streets, told police he met the three who robbed him in a restaurant near Broadway and Kaighn Avenue. He said he bought them food and in return they offered to take him to his home in their automobile. 'This was shortly before 2 a.m.

He said two of the men were dressed in brown suits and the third wore a "greenish blue suit." All wore light hats.

As soon as he entered the machine, Cobb told Detectives George Zeitz and Leon Branch, who found him in the park, someone hit him over the head.

Two of the men then went through his clothing and took the $4700 from his pockets. He told police, that he drew the money from his bank yesterday and intended to pay off a mortgage on a property today.  

The men held Cobb, he told police, until they reached Farnham Park, where he was tossed out of the machine as the driver slowed up.

A few minutes after 2 a. m., William P. Tyler, of 1493 Greenwood Avenue, driving past the park, heard someone shout "murder" several times. He hurried to a telephone and called police headquarters .

Found In Roadway

Detectives Zeitz and Branch searched the section where Tyler had heard the shouts. Then they drove down through River Drive, where they discovered Cobb lying in the middle of the roadway.

The injured man was taken to Cooper Hospital where he was revived, and then to detective head quarters.

Meanwhile Motorcycle Patrolmen George Getley and Earl Stopfer stopped a car at Mt. Ephraim and Ferry Avenues, which had aroused their suspicions as it sped down Mt. Ephraim Avenue.

Piliere was driving the machine and could not produce either a registration card or driver's license. He said he had borrowed the car from a man he knew as "Pete.'"

The car was claimed yesterday by Pietro Tocco, 35, of 717 South Fourth Street. He told Zeitz and Branch the car had been stolen from in front of his home "sometime around 2 a. m." yesterday.

Piliere and his pals were taken to police headquarters where the former was booked on a motor-vehicle charge. When police found two pieces of rubber hose in the rear of the machine, all three were taken to detective headquarters.

There Cobb identified them as the three who had robbed him. He pointed out Fioravanti, the only one 'with a previous police record, as the man who hit him' on the head.

Police held all three without bail for the hearing before Judge Pancoast.

At the Cobb home yesterday, Mrs. Byron P. Cobb said she knew nothing about the holdup. She said Cobb "appeared to have a headache when he got up," but failed to mention anything was wrong and left the house before her return from church.

All of the suspects deny the robbery, They said they took a friend to his home in Woodlynne and were en route to their homes in Camden. when arrested.

Piliere told Detectives Zeitz and Branch that he "borrowed the car from his uncle," whom he only knew as "Pete."  

Camden Courier-Post - June 19, 1933

Jobless Men Aid Police to Trap Suspects 
Surround House in East Camden and Prevent Escape of Two

 Surrounding a vacant house at 331 Boyd Street which two alleged thieves had entered, a group of unemployed men yesterday cut off every avenue of escape until police arrived. 

The men, who were found hiding in a second floor closet, police said, gave their names as Barney Runyon, 26, and William Newcomb, 22, both of 2301 Mickle Street

A telephone call to the home of Patrolman Earl Stopfer, of 226 Boyd Street, by a resident in the vicinity of the vacant house, informed Mrs. Stopfer that two men were in the house. With her husband on desk duty at city hall, Mrs. Stopfer went to the home of Lieutenant Nathan Petit, 320 Boyd Street, but he was out. She then sent a group of unemployed men working on community gardens in the rear of her home to the scene and telephoned police. 

The unemployed men were circled about the house when a patrol crew, under Patrolman George Getley arrived. The two men already had dismantled plumbing fixtures, Getley said. They were committed in default of $500 bail each for a hearing in police court this morning. 

It was reported to police yesterday that thieves forced the rear window of a vacant property at 2127 Howell Street and stole a gas heater from the cellar. 

Edward R. Smith, of 1070 Langham Avenue, reported that thieves Saturday night stole a 24-foot sectional ladder from his yard.

Two women were arrested Saturday in larceny cases. Edith Holmes, 31, of 519 North Third Street, is in the city jail in default of $500 bail, charged with the theft of $30 from a relative, Marie Holmes, 2923 Kansas Road. Mrs. Bertha Teitelman, 68, of 207 Federal Street, is in similar bail on a shoplifting charge preferred by W. J. Hickey, manager of Grant's store, Federal Street near Broadway.

Camden Courier-Post
September 18, 1935

Harry Benzuk
Ferry Avenue
Royden Street
Harry G. Foster
Dr. Garnett P. Summerhill
Earl Stopfer
August Reihm


Camden Courier-Post - February 11, 1936

Policeman Fires from Ground and Liquor Raid Fugitive Stops

 Four men were arrested amid revolver shots after a Camden policeman was knocked down by a police car during a raid yesterday afternoon.

Acting on orders of Commissioner Mary W. Kobus, who is continuing her drive to rid the city of speakeasies, three policemen and two detectives surrounded the home of James Ford, colored, at 1124 South Ninth street, shortly. before 3 p. m.

Patrolmen Edward Shapiro and Thomas Kauffman arrived in a radio car. So did James Brown and John Houston, two colored detectives. Patrolman Earl Stopfer arrived on foot.

Three policemen went to the back door. Kauffman stayed in the radio car at the front. Shapiro knocked at the front door.

The policemen at the rear were ahead of those opt front. As a re­sult four men ran out through the front door .and bowled over Shapiro. The man in the lead, who later was identified as Wilbur "Lackey" Davis, of 821 Mt. Vernon street, raced up the street, a quart bottle of liquor in hand.

Kauffman had driven his radio car behind another machine. He started the engine and attempted to back out to give chase. Shapiro ran behind the car and as he did, the machine struck him, knocking him into the middle of the street. Prone, Shapiro drew his revolver and opened fire on Davis.

Three shots were fired in the air.

Two others were closer to the fugitive, who halted. With the sound of shooting, the other three men yielded to the assembled policemen.

They gave their names as Ford, Herman Hopkins, 21, of 1124 South Ninth street, and Harry McLane, 29, of 746 Kaighn avenue.

All will be arraigned today.

Ford, Hopkins and McLane will be charged with violating the state A.B.C. act. In addition, Davis will be charged with resisting arrest.

Patrolman Shapiro was hurt but slightly."

Camden Courier-Post

October 19, 1936

William Thorn