Dr. David

DR. DAVID SAMUEL RHONE was born in Pennsylvania on March 5, 1878. By 1920 he and wife Florence had moved to Camden NJ, where he had established a medical practice and a pharmacy called the Crescent Drug Company at 1202 Haddon Avenue

A member of the Republican party, Dr. Rhone was elected on May 10, 1927 to the Camden City Commission on an all-Republican slate. He took the oath of office May 17, 1927. The other commissioners were General Winfield S. Price, Mayor; T. Yorke Smith, William D. Sayrs Jr., and Clay W. Reesman. Dr. Rhone served during the administration of Mayor Price as the Director of Public Safety. He was re-elected in 1931, then defeated in the 1935 election that resulted in Democrat control of the City Commission. A popular figure, Dr. Rhone was returned to office in 1939, and re-elected in 1943 and 1947. 

Prohibition was the law of the land during his time in office, and Dr. Rhone had great difficulty in trying to control illegal gambling, bootlegging, and speakeasies within the city, and had problems controlling the police force headed first by Chief James E. Tatem and later by Chief Lewis W. Stehr. George S. Tempest, a former Philadelphia police captain, was hired to assist him with running the police and fire departments. In September of 1928, Joseph "Mose" Flannery, who apparently was a prime mover in the slot machine racket in Camden, was gunned down at Front and Kaighn Avenues. His murder brought the slot machine issue to the forefront. When Assistant County Prosecutor Samuel P. Orlando and Camden County Chief of Detectives Lawrence Doran organized a series of raids to seize illegal slot machines, some of the raided sites had been tipped off. There would be problems of this nature within Camden's police department for several more years.  

Dr. Rhone became the County Physician for Camden County in January of 1938. Re-elected to the City Commission in May of 1939, he succeeded Mary Kobus as Director of Public Safety in March of 1942. In January of 1948, along with Camden's Chief of Police George W. Frost and Police Captains Gustav A. Koerner and John T. Garrity, Dr. Rhone was indicted on charges of laxity and corruption in connection with the Van Riper probe. Charges were dropped against Koerner in 1948. In the spring of 1949 Chief Frost was exonerated and charges against Dr. Rhone and Garrity were dropped. On October 27, 1949 Dr. Rhone exchanged positions on the City Commission with E. George Aaron. Commissioner Aaron taking the post of Director of Public Safety, while Dr. Rhone became the Director of Public Affairs.

On March 27, 1951 Dr. Rhone announced that he would not seek a sixth term on Camden's City Commission. Dr. Rhone moved to Mount Ephraim, New Jersey not long afterwards, where he set up a practice at 19 Kings Highway. He passed away in January of 1967. He apparently had remarried late in life, and his second wife, Henrietta, rests beside him at Harleigh cemetery in Camden NJ.

Philadelphia Inquirer - July 22, 1918

Ferry Avenue - Michael Erriescki - Frederick Smith - Carl Quinton
L. Najulis Saloon - Jennie Stevenson - Kossuth Street
F. Joseph Rouh - Dr. David Rhone - Stephen Shumluski 

Camden Courier-Post - January 2, 1928


 The year end crop of crime in the city was too big.

Within twenty-four hours, two women were attacked and robbed on the street; seven homes and stores were looted.

The Director of Public Safety “hadn’t heard about it” when the Courier rang him up to ask him what the police were going to do about it.

This attitude of indifference, of superiority to criticism, of rejection of responsibility, is as much out of place in a city government as a loved one’s hair in your soup.

It is not the fault of active police but of the city department that supervises them. Not of Chief Tatem, but of Commissioner Rohne.

* * * * *

As if made to order for the benefit if Rev. John S. Hackett, pastor of the Wiley Methodist Episcopal Church came the story “Huge Dope Ring Blasted with Four Arrests.”

The arrest of those charged with being accomplices of Anthony “Babe” Paradise, alleged head of the narcotic ring, occurred in a barbershop three blocks away from Pastor Hackett’s church.

Pastor Hackett asserted people of a neighborhood know what is going on in it, but that apparently police do not.

Commissioner Rohne invited the pastor to adopt the Commissioner’s self service plan of police work, citizens to make sworn charges. 

The preacher refused naturally. He had done his part. 

Then the police got busy, and three blocks away from Pastor Hackett’s church they captured the gang.

* * * * *

Such quick action points to only one conclusion; that the police knew perfectly well where to look for the dope peddlers.

If they didn’t, there were plenty of citizens who could and would have correctly given them information.

It is not the citizen’s duty to make complaints and swear out charges and prosecute the case.

The city has detectives to follow up clues given privately, and police to make the arrests.

* * * * *

Camden is a live, liberal, modern city. 

Camden has no hankering for constant disturbance by VICE CRUSADES but Camden wants no drug ring headquarters conducted in it either. No peddlers of heroin and cocaine driving their illicit and ruinous traffic among its citizens.

Whether the police could or could not have made these arrests long ago, or whether this was the first opportunity, citizens will have their own opinion.

But the incident must impress the public mind vividly, as a demonstration that Preacher Hackett knew what he was talking about- and that a self service police system won’t work.

Commissioner Rohne and the police have full responsibility- and apparently an abundance of opportunity.

For the belated capture of these caterers to the appetite for life-wrecking drugs, Camden citizens are grateful.

And part of the thanks must go to Rev. Hackett..  

Camden Courier-Post - January 7, 1928

Camden Courier-Post * January 11, 1928


The Camden police ant fire department hand today was without a bandmaster as the result of notice served on James Young. Collingswood, yesterday that the position he has as bandmaster has been abolished.

Notice of his dismissal was sent Young by Commissioner David Rhone. Young, who had continued in his post until yesterday, was informed that the position had been abolished January 1.

Young was appointed bandmaster about two years ago after passing the tests required by the State Civil Service Commission. The post paid $150.00 a month.

Camden Courier-Post * January 18, 1928


A meeting which was described today as "a gathering in honor of David S. Rhone, director of public safety", was held last night at the Thirteenth Ward Republican Club, Haddon Avenue and Mechanic Street

The speakers included David Baird Jr., Mayor Winfield S. Price, Commissioner Clay W. Reesman, Sheriff Walter T. Gross, Urquhart Ward, ward committeeman, Theodore Kausel and Commissioner Rhone.

A large photograph of Commissioner Rhone was presented to the club by friends of the Commissioner, and has been placed in the clubroom. A photograph of Ward was also given the club.

Arrangements were by made by the club for its annual ball to be held February 21. Plans were also discussed for the remodeling of the club's headquarters.

Camden Courier-Post * January 28, 1928

150 Owners Wait as Rhone Delays Soft Drink Permits

Proprietors of more than 150 soft drink establishments received another disappointment today when Commissioner David S. Rhone again failed to issue the 1928 permits after promising Saturday that he would grant them Monday.

On January 13, when an amended ordinance boosting the license fee from $50 to $100 was passed by the city commission, Rhone said he would grant the new permits ten days after it became effective or on January 23.

He was not at his office Monday, but Lewis Stehr, police inspector, said the commissioner would announce part of the list of new licenses Tuesday. Yesterday Stehr said Rhone “will positively” announce the list today that he was “still considering them.” part of the list of new licenses Tuesday.

Today Stehr said the licenses would not be granted until tomorrow. Rhone later said “a few of the permits” will be granted” sometime this afternoon”.

As the owners of the soft drink parlors await action by Commissioner Rhone they are operating on their 1927 licenses. Many of the applications for licenses have been filed with police officials since last December.

Camden Courier-Post - January 28, 1928

Commissioner Rhone Tells Building Inspector, Fire Marshal to Investigate
State Street Residents Complain After Robbers Use House as Rendezvous

Termed a ‘rendezvous of thieves, a haven for spooners and a general nightmare, the deserted and broken­down mansion at Third and State Streets, was ordered torn down by Commissioner David S. Rhone, director of public safety.

‘It’s been a it public nuisance for several years and if the owners don’t raze it after they are so notified, the city will,” Commissioner Rhone said.

Residents of the neighborhood declared yesterday that the old mansion has been a den for thieves, and that complaints to the city have gone unheeded. They said three robberies in one block in one week occurred this month because of it. The thieves, they explain watched the movements of the families from the deserted house, and robbed the dwellings after they had left for a few hours at night.

Once Palatial Home

The ramshackle building is at the northeast corner of Third and State Streets, opposite the James M. Cassady School. It was once the palatial residence of the late Augustus Reeve, brick manufacturer, but has been in a state of decay for about five years.

A “For Rent” sign has been on the property for a long period. Theater posters cover part of the exterior, its staircase has been torn away, practically all windows have been smashed by schoolboys and other marauders have removed doors, front steps and fence, and have ripped plaster from the walls.

Robberies attributed in the neighborhood to thieves, who used the dilapidated property as a “den”’ were those at 313 State Street, next door, on January 7, 327 State Street, January 13, and 302 State Street, January 21. Police made no report of the facts, explaining to the victims that any release of information would interfere with the arrest of “a young man under suspicion in your own neighborhood.”

Orders Not Revealed

Commissioner Rhone indicated he had given orders to George Johnson, building inspector, and Bernard Gallagher, fire marshal, relative to the dilapidated property.

Commissioner Rhone declined to explain what orders he had given  the building inspector and the fire marshal relative to the old property.

Johnson had said earlier in the day that he had received no orders from Commissioner Rhone. Later Johnson said he “did not know what the orders are.”

Questioned further and told that Rhone had said that he had given him orders Johnson said they pertained to “just see what the condition of the place was”.

“All the windows are out and the doors are off,” he said, reporting on an inspection he asserted he conducted. “If there is a health menace there, that comes under the health Department, not the building department.”

Asked what he would do about the place which was declared unsafe by the residents of the neighborhood, he said he did not know until he received “further orders” from Commissioner Rhone.

Gallagher, the fire marshal, could not be reached this morning.


January 28, 1928


February 20, 1928

Fifth Ward Republican Club
Kaighn Avenue

Bernard Bertman
Leonard Brehm
John Carroll
George Cotter
Charles H. Elfreth
Kirby Garwood
Rox Gimello
Theodore Kausel
William Kensler
George W. Nichols
Winfield S. Price
Leo B. Rea
Clay W. Reesman
David S. Rhone
Harley C. Shinn


February 24, 1928

Bradley Avenue

Harold W. Bennett
Mildred W. Bergey
Helen B. Peech

David S. Rhone

Camden Courier-Post - April 6, 1928

David S. Rhone - Lewis Stehr

Camden Courier-Post
June 30, 1928

Dr. David Rhone
William D. Sayrs
Clarence M. Scull
Urquhart Ward
Kaighn Avenue
North 32nd Street
Farragut Avenue
Collings Road
Tuckahoe Road


Camden Evening Courier - September 19, 1928




John Kowal - Lewis Stehr 
John Skolski - John W. Golden James Hollis - Clarence Arthur 
Frank Moll -
Clarence Bunker Thomas Cheeseman
Sylvester McGrath
Lawrence T. Doran
Dr. David S. Rhone
William D. McDonaldson
Frank Leonard
Father McCorriston
Joseph "Mose" Flannery"  Joseph Moll - James Bonner  William Bonner - Rita Leslie  James L. Hawkins - Hotel Royal
Walter Novak - Joseph Novak
Garfield Del Duca - 
Eugene Murphy - Russell Sage
Joseph "Cuzzy" Scarduzio
Patrick Driscoll

Front Street - Kaighn Avenue - Fairview Street - South 3rd Street
Camden High School - West Jersey Hospital - Sacred Heart Church

Camden Courier-Post - September 19, 1928

Camden Courier-Post - September 20, 1928

Camden Evening Courier - September 26, 1928
Dr. David Rhone - Joseph "Mose" Flannery - Lewis H. Stehr Jr.
Bernard Bertman - David Baird Jr. - Winfield Price - Thomas Cheeseman Westwood Perrine - Elizabeth Tiedeken - Anna Brennan
Walnut Street - Kaighn Avenue - Front Street


Camden Courier-Post 
April 29, 1929



John Doris - Joseph O'Connor - American Restaurant - Kaighn Avenue

Camden Courier-Post * April 29, 1929

John Doris - Frank Doris - Joseph O'Connor aka Joseph Connors - Broadway - Kaighn Avenue

Russell Sage - Mechanic Street - James "Jimmie" Toland - Nonpariel Club
Charles Riehm - Haddon Avenue - William Kelly aka Leo Morton - Van Hook Street
Harry Selah - South 3rd Street - William J. Merrick - Liberty Street - Lorenzo Cole - Jefferson Avenue
Ernest Matsios - Leo McKenna - Mt. Vernon Street - United Shoe Repair - Amber Street

Joseph Leonhardt - Samuel Johnson - Gustav Koerner - Joseph Carpani - Thomas Cheeseman
Sylvester McGrath - Fiore Troncone - Joseph "Mose" Flannery - Lewis Stehr

Frank T. Lloyd Sr.
David S. Rhone
Rocco Palese
Lawrence T. Doran

Raymond O'Connor - Hughy McLoon

Camden Courier-Post * May 18, 1929



Andrew Kelly - Edward Kelly - Daniel Hutchinson
George Ward - Garfield S. Pancoast - Lewis H. Stehr - David S. Rhone - Clifford A. Baldwin
Joseph "Mose" Flannery - Joseph O'Connor aka Joseph Connors - John Doris

Camden Courier-Post
March 25, 1930

Georgie and Playmate His Ad Found

George Kustner, 6, of 714 North Seventh Street, and his English Bull, Babe" who wandered away Saturday and got herself locked up In the Camden Dog Refuge by Policeman John Wilkie and Commissioner David S. Rhone, M. D. Homemade signs, which George plastered about his neighborhood, resulted in neighbors telling him where he could locate his dog, after a picture of Wilkie and the animal had appeared in the Sunday Courier-Post. Now Georgie will tell you that it pays to advertise, and is he happy? Well, look at the picture.

Camden Courier-Post - March 29, 1930

78 Departments Represented at Benevolent Association Session

More than 300 state officers and delegates representing 78 New Jersey police departments were present yesterday at a meeting of the State Patrolmen's Benevolent Association at Tenth Street and Kaighn Avenue yesterday.

All state officers were present at the afternoon meeting, including State President Dennis Byrne, of New Brunswick; First Vice President Henry Miller, of Rahway; Second Vice president, August Harasdzira, of Garfield; Recording Secretary Michael McKeever, of Trenton; Financial Secretary Thomas Higgins, of West Orange, and State Treasurer William Mallon, of West New York.

Police work used in various cities was discussed. Plans were made for the state convention in Wildwood September 14, 15 and 16. Everett Joslin, Herbert Bott and George Weber were named local delegates to represent the local union, No. 35 at the Wildwood convention.

Chief of Police Lewis H. Stehr welcomed the delegates. A telegram of welcome was read from Director of Public Safety David S. Rhone, who is in Washington.

The committee in charge of yesterday's meeting consisted of Clifford Flenard, president of Local No. 35; Stanley Wirtz, Edward Cahill, Frank Wilmot, John McTaggart, James McTaggart and Howard Henery .

Camden Courier-Post * April 9, 1930

Rhone Reported ready to Make Five Patrolmen Sergeant

Reports that five members of the Camden police department will be promoted to sergeants tomorrow were circulated, today after announcement that two sergeants had been appointed lieutenant.

Those who, according to rumors, will be elevated to sergeant are Nathan Petit, of the second police district, to be assigned to the traffic squad; Gus Koerner, detective bureau; Walter Rowand, first district; Frank Truax, Second district, and Edward Hahn, third district.

The two new lieutenants who took oath of office yesterday are Samuel Johnson and Thomas Cunningham. The former was a sergeant of police attached to the detective bureau and will continue in that department, while Cunningham, while a sergeant, was acting lieutenant in day command at the fourth district. He remains in that district, The appointments were announced yesterday by Commissioner David S. Rhone, director of public safety.

Both were immediately administered oaths of office by Dr. Rhone's secretary, Bayard M. Sullivan, at the director's office, Lieutenant Cunningham is already eligible for retirement, having served more than 20 years on the city police force.

The two appointments complete the seven lieutenancies created n by a city ordinance. Ten members of the police department passed civil service examinations for the post, which pays an annual salary of $2500. Each must serve one year as lieutenant before becoming eligible to take examination for captaincy.

The five previously appointed lieutenants are George Frost, now night commander of the fourth district; Walter Welch, third district; Charles Laib, a sub-commander of the traffic bureau under Captain Charles T. Humes, traffic Inspector; Ralph Bakley, second district; and George Ward, first district.

The other three candidates who passed the examination, Sergeants John Potter, Herbert Anderson and Harry I. Newton, did not receive lieutenancies, although Potter had the highest percentage in the tests.

Camden Evening Courier - December 5, 1930

Dr. David S. Rhone - Charles V. Dickinson - Charles T. Humes - Mahlon Allenbach

Camden Evening Courier - December 6, 1930


Dr. David S. Rhone - Charles V. Dickinson - Theodore Guthrie - James Paradise
Clarence Bunker - Howard Smith - Clarence Arthur - Henry Lutz - Clarence Thorn
John Kowal - Lewis H. Stehr  

Camden Evening Courier
December 8, 1930

Garfield S. Pancoast
David S. Rhone
William Kiker
Daniel McGettigan
John McCauley
Spruce Street
Pine Street
South 8th Street
South 9th Street
Cherry Street
Walnut Street

Jack Sands
William Walker
Harry Hertsch

Camden Morning Post - December 9, 1930

Dr. David S. Rhone - Charles V. Dickinson - Arthur Colsey - Nowrey Ellis - Lewis H. Stehr  

Camden Evening Courier - December 10, 1930


Lewis H. Stehr - Dr. David S. Rhone - Charles V. Dickinson - Frank B. Hanna
Dr. H. S. Riddle - Lewis H. Stehr Sr. -  Chestnut Street - Cooper Hospital

Camden Morning Post - December 11, 1930


Lewis H. Stehr  - Dr. David S. Rhone - Charles V. Dickinson - Frank B. Hanna
Dr. H. S. Riddle -  Clay W. Reesman - Clifford A. Baldwin - Winfield S. Price
Arthur Colsey - Chestnut Street - Cooper Hospital - Sixth Ward Republican Club

Camden Evening Courier - December 11, 1930

Clifford Baldwin
Lewis Cohen
Mitchell Davis
John Delena
Carl Kisselman
David S. Rhone
Jesse Seybold
Samuel M. Shay
Frank Varro
Michael Magglio
John Saggese
Joseph Rosa
John Lapone
South 4th Street
Chestnut Street
Pine Street
St. John Street
Walnut Street

Camden Evening Courier - December 11, 1930


Lewis H. Stehr  - Dr. David S. Rhone - Charles V. Dickinson - Arthur Colsey
George A. Ward - John Kowal  - Donald Swissler - Clarence Phifer - Archie Reiss
John Skolski - Herbert Anderson - Thomas Cheeseman - Harry Kyler
George Nowrey - Frank Truax - Ralph Bakley
Clay W. Reesman - Clifford A. Baldwin - Winfield S. Price
Clifford A. Flennard - Camden Local No. 35, P.B.A. -
Cooper Hospital
B.C. Schroeder - Broadway - Royden Street

Camden Evening Courier - Morning Post 12, 1930

Lewis H. Stehr  - Dr. David S. Rhone - Charles V. Dickinson - Arthur Colsey
George A. Ward - John Kowal  - Donald Swissler - Clarence Phifer - Archie Reiss
John Skolski - Herbert Anderson - Thomas Cheeseman - Harry Kyler
George Nowrey - Frank Truax - Ralph Bakley   - John J. Breslin 
Cooper Hospital - Rev. Edward T. Weeks - Union Methodist Episcopal Church
B.C. Schroeder - Broadway - Royden Street - Sixth Ward Republican Club




Camden Morning Post
December 13, 1930




Lewis H. Stehr  - Dr. David S. Rhone - Charles V. Dickinson - Clarence Thorn
Rev. Edward T. Weeks -
Union Methodist Episcopal Church - Cooper Hospital
B.C. Schroeder - Broadway - Royden Street - Kaighn Avenue - Haddon Avenue

Camden Morning Post * December 13, 1930
Click on Image to Enlarge

Charles V. Dickinson - Dr. David S. Rhone - George Ward

Camden Courier-Post * December 13, 1930

Lewis H. Stehr - Charles V. Dickinson - Dr. David S. Rhone - Broadway
B.C. Schroeder - Kaighn Avenue - Haddon Avenue - Rev. Edward T. Weeks
Union Methodist Episcopal Church

Camden Courier-Post * October 31, 1931

Officials Announce 90 Organizations
Will Be in March

A change in the route of march of the Armistice Day parade, was announced last night, at a meeting of the committee in the office of Director of Public Welfare David S. Rhone.

The proposed route is Third and Cooper Streets; to Broadway, to Kaighn Avenue, west on Kaighn Avenue to Fourth Street, thence to the city line and disband.

The parade will start promptly at 1:45 p. m. The grand marshal will be Colonel George L. Selby. The route of march is approximately two miles and shorter than any previous year.

There will be 90 organizations in the line of march. Included in these will be 18 American Legion Posts; 13 Veterans of Foreign War Posts; 18 National Guard units; five Naval Reserve units and 21 other organizations. Martial music will be provided by 15 bands.

All members of the police and fire departments who are war veterans, will be excused from duly and will participate in the parade as a unit..

Announcement was made by Jack Weinberg, chairman of the prize committee that two additional cups have been donated by the Retail Division of the Chamber of Commerce. This makes a total of 14 to be awarded. The last two will be given to veteran organizations outside the city of Camden.

More than 1700 school children from the sixth grade to the high school will take part in exercises to be held at the Convention Hall in the morning, it was announced by Dr. Leon N. Neulen, superintendent of schools.

 The children will parade under the direction of their teachers.

Camden Courier-Post * July 1, 1932

Second District Officer Had Been in Service Since 1917

Police Sergeant Frank Truax of the Second Police District died at last night in Cooper Hospital of a complication of diseases. He was 50 and resided at 1129 Kenwood Avenue.

Sergeant Truax was admitted to the institution at 8:55 PM. Five minutes later he was dead.

He was considered one of the most efficient officers of the police department by his superiors, and his death was a shock to his friends and acquaintances.

He had been a member of the police department since April 12, 1917, having been appointed by former Mayor Charles H. Ellis. After 13 years of "pounding a beat" he was promoted to sergeant on April 9, 1930, by former Director of Public Safety David S. Rhone.

Shortly after dinner last night, Sergeant Truax complained of feeling ill. He had been in ill health for the past few weeks.

His wife, Mrs. Linda Truax summoned Dr. H. G. Stimus and Dr. Rhone. They ordered him removed to the hospital at once.

Besides his wife, Sergeant Truax is survived by a sister, Mrs. Viola Wilkinson of 701 Royden Street. Funeral arrangements have not been completed.  

Camden Courier-Post - June 1, 1933


Charge with stealing wire and equipment from the Star Electric Company, 460 Kaighn Avenue, Lewis Sukeforth, 17, of 325 Atlantic avenue, paroled a year ago from Jamesburg reformatory, was held in $2500 bail for the grand jury yesterday by Police Judge Pancoast.

Sukeforth pleaded guilty. He was arrested by Bridge Policeman Lee Hires, who was off duty and was about to drive his car into a garage on Amber Street in the rear of the 400 block of Kaighn Avenue where he saw the youth carrying a bag; After questioning him Hires took Sukeforth to detective headquarters.

Camden Courier-Post - June 1, 1933


Dr. David S. Rhone, commissioner of public affairs is on the high seas today bound for Germany on a vacation.

The city commissioner, who told only a few friends of his plans, sailed from New York Tuesday night.

Few city officials and friends knew of the projected trip and even Dr. Rhone's secretary, Bayard M. Sullivan, pleaded ignorance of the commissioner's plans. Sullivan said he did not know how long the commissioner would remain abroad. He said he believed Dr. Rhone sailed with some friends and may visit other countries in addition to Germany.

City Solicitor E. G. C. Bleakly was among those who expressed surprise at learning that Dr. Rhone had sailed.

Bleakly stated that he knew of no arrangements for a deputy commissioner to operate the public welfare department during the commissioner’s abs

Camden Courier-Post - June 17, 1933


Police Judge Garfield Pancoast yesterday suspended sentence on John Carlson, 36, a salesman, of 407 Cuthbert Road, Collingswood after warning him not to be "too flip" in the future with policemen. 

Carlson was arrested by Policeman Wilbur Prentiss on State Street near the circus ground when he resented the policeman's prohibiting a friend from parking. 
Carlson, a former Thirteenth ward resident, told Prentiss he would let City Commissioner David S. Rhone "know about the policeman" when the commissioner returned from Europe, according to the testimony. 

Camden Courier-Post - June 20, 1933


His boasts that he could bring political pressure to bear if he was arrested cost Joseph Mrozowski, 49, of 1474 Kenwood Avenue, $10 in police court yesterday. 
He was arrested by Policeman Ivan Morris at Louis and Chestnut Streets for pulling out of a traffic line. 

"If you arrest me I will get Committeeman Henry Knauer or Commissioner Rhone to get me out," Morris quoted Mrozowski as saying. 

Mrozowski admitted that he told Morris he would telephone Knauer but denied mentioning Dr. Rhone's name. . 

Camden Courier-Post  - June 29, 1933

Sunday Beer Here Is Up to Reesman As Four Rulers Split
Commissioner Says, However, He Awaits Public Sentiment
Stewart and Bennett Against, Hanna and Rhone For

 With four members of the city commission deadlocked on the is sue, Commissioner Clay W. Reesman last night appeared to hold in his hands the final decision as to whether Sunday beer sales will be permitted in Camden.

This was revealed when he announced that his deciding vote on the issue would ·be guided by a "sounding of public sentiment."

On April 26 Mayor Roy R. Stewart and Commissioner Harold W. Bennett declared they would vote against any resolution permitting Sunday sales, while Commissioners Frank B. Hanna and Dr. David S. Rhone declared they would favor such a resolution. Reesman asserted at that time that “it would be foolish for him to comment until the measure before the legislature becomes a law."

Measure Now Law


The state measure, which permits Sunday beer sales upon resolution of municipal bodies, became law yesterday when Governor A. Harry Moore signed it. The bill, primarily, extends the state temporary beer act until August 31.


When asked last night how he stood on the Sunday beer sale question in Camden, Reesman said:

"I can't state any opinion at this time, for I really have none. I want to sound public sentiment first. What ever the people want, that is the way I'll be guided," He added that he would be unable to say how much time would be required for him to arrive at an opinion. 

As soon as the city commission learned that the governor had approved the measure yesterday, it met in special session and adopted a resolution calling for an additional fee from Camden beer retailers for the extended period of two months.

At the same time. the Beverage Tax Division of the State Tax Department announced that all retailers of beer and wines must make tax payments by July 7 on all purchases  and sales of beer by them between April 7 and July 1.

Tax Experts Coming

To assist retailers in determining their tax liability representatives of the Beverage Tax Division will sit far one week, from July 1 to July 7, in seven South Jersey towns, as follows: Camden, Room 212, court house annex; Burlington, city hall; Bridgeton, court house, July 1 and 3 only; Atlantic City, Room 729, Guaranty Trust building; Gloucester City, clerk's office, city hall; Cape May Court House, court house, July 6 and 7 only; Salem, city hall, July 5 only;

Retailers who have purchased beverages from any source outside New Jersey will be subject to a tax of three cents a gallon if the tax has not already been paid by the manufacturer or distributor.

Mayor Stewart, in expressing his opinion on Sunday beer sales, declared it would have a bad effect on the community and its people, and that employees of restaurants and inns were entitled to a day of rest as other workers.

Commissioner Bennett declared sale of the beverage would not help observance of the Sabbath. Commissioners Hanna and Rhone took the view that Congress had legislated 3.2 percent beer as non-intoxicating, and that it was therefore as equally non-intoxicating on Sunday as any other day, and that its sale would make little difference.

New Fees Cited

The Beverage Tax Division also pointed, out yesterday that the extension beverage act require manufacturers to pay an additional license fee of $400, and distributors an additional fee of $100 if their licenses are to be automatically extended. Security for the extended term must also be furnished and acceptable to the State Tax Commissioner.

Licenses for the extended period will be issued in South Jersey at the offices of Deputy Beverage Commissioners Frank B. Middleton, Jr., in Camden, at 130 North Broadway, and Frederick Stahle, 4105 Sunset Avenue, Atlantic City. 

Various South Jersey communities, following the lead of Camden, are expected to announce new additional fees far municipal licenses before a week has passed.

The city resolution provides that the additional fee must be paid to Frank S. Albright, city clerk, before tomorrow night, and that all the beer regulations adopted, by the city April 6 remain in “full force and effect."

Under the measure, according to Albright, distributors in the city that do not pay a state beer license must also pay an additional $50 fee.

Retail beer servers began paying their new fees shortly after the city commission passed the resolution.

In approving' the state measure, Governor Moore said:

"I am constrained to sign this temporary act, which expires .at midnight, August 31, because without it there would be no effective regulation whatsoever covering the manufacture and sale of beer. 

"Then too, each municipality must determine for itself by, resolution of its governing body whether the sale of beer shall be permittel1 after 1 p. m. an Sunday. Without such action, it cannot be legally sold."

The governor signed the measure at 12:30 p.m.

Before Moore reached his decision to approve the bill, it had been a question for several days whether he would veto it because it contained, no provision for a referendum on Sunday sales, as proposed by the Democratic legislators in Trenton.

Camden Courier-Post  - June 30, 1933

City Won't Rule on Sunday Beer Sales Unless People Demand
Beverage Dispensers Will Discuss Question at Next Meeting


 "The Camden City Commission will take no action on the Sunday beer sale question unless the people express a strong desire for Sunday beer."

This is the declaration made yesterday by Mayor Roy R. Stewart.

And not only are members of the city commission divided on the Sunday beer issue but saloonkeepers are themselves.

Fred J. Stuebing [owner of the Stag Cafe- PMC], president of the Camden County Beverage Dispensers' Association, revealed that some members of the association are against Sunday sales and some are in favor of it.

"We have not gone on record for or against Sunday sales." Stuebing said. “Some of our members are against it. The question will be brought up at our own meeting a week from today.

Wants His Day Off

"Personally, I would not want to keep my place open on Sunday afternoons. I want a day off after working all week. I might open up for a while Sunday evenings, though, if it were permitted."

In the event of a resolution being introduced in the city commission to permit Sunday sales after 1 p.m., the final decision would rest in the hands of Commissioner Clay W. Reesman since he has refused to commit himself on the issue, while Mayor Stewart and Commissioner Harold W. Bennett have announced against it, and Commissioners Frank B. Hanna and Dr. David S. Rhone have pronounced themselves in favor of it.

"I don't think there is any insistent demand for Sunday beer," said the mayor. "If there is, I haven't heard about it.

"Furthermore, I see no real reason for Sunday beer. In the so-called good old days before prohibition, saloons were closed on Sundays. Why should they be opened now?

"And as I said in a statement some time ago, the men and women employed in the retail beer business deserve a day off a week for recreation and worship just as any other workers .

"The City Commission will take no action unless the people express a strong desire for Sunday beer."

Owners Interviewed

There was a rumor in circulation yesterday that quite a number of Camden saloonkeepers had been "interviewed" by certain politicians on the Sunday sale situation.

"You don't want to sell beer on Sunday, do you?" is the question that is said to have been put to them. And it was put in such a way that a negative answer was expected, the rumor has it.

This report apparently is borne out by the attitude of Mayor Stewart. The mayor's statement came as a surprise particularly in view of the fact that Camden saloonkeepers recently contributed to a fund for the purpose of having the ban on bars removed and also to bring about Sunday sales.

Camden saloon and restaurant keepers have been complaining because the roadhouses in the suburban districts were permitted to sell beer on Sunday and that they also were allowed to remain open later that the closing time specified for similar places operated in the city limits.

These same Camden saloonkeepers also have complained about the political clubs within the city being permitted to remain open after the regular closing hours and also that they have been allowed to remain open on Sundays.

New Licenses Granted

Meanwhile, City Clerk Frank S. Albright yesterday announced approval of 19 new applications for retail beer licenses, bringing the total in the city to 239. Three new wholesale licenses also were sanctioned.

Following are the retail permits:

John Pennington, 818 Broadway; Salvatore Spitalore, 201 Royden Street; Samuel Friedenberg, 575 Van Hook Street; Fred Steubing, 318 Market Street; Frank Markiewicz, 673 Ferry Avenue; Matthew Orland, 3, 5, 7 and 9 Ferry Walk; Anthony Laskowski, 1200 Everett Street; Albert Ross, 1425 Mt. Ephraim Avenue; Samuel Hurwitz, 703 Chestnut Street; Clito Viviano, 522-524 Walnut Street; Harry Adams, 406 North Seventh Street; Daniel Cirucci, 305 Benson Street; Charles A. Bieri, 318 Kaighn Avenue; Max Kleinfeld, 101 Chestnut Street; John MacDougall, 839 Market Street; Alexander Wrightson, Southwest corner Ninth and Chestnut Streets; David Plasky, 2362 Broadway; Luigi Corda, 702 South Second Street, and Irving Cartin, 201 Mechanic Street.

Wholesalers: Camden County Beer Distributors, 1203 Chestnut Street; William Grams, 2101 Federal Street, and Justin Peterson, 511 Chelton Avenue.

Camden Courier-Post - September 18, 1933

Phila. Man Sentenced After Wrecking Car
and Damaging Parked Machine of Dr. Rhone

Charged with driving while drunk, Richard Allen, 33, who crashed into the automobile of Commissioner David S. Rhone last night, was sentenced to jail for 30 days by Recorder Joseph A. Patton, of Haddon Heights today.

Allen, who lives at 2445 North Chadwick Street, Philadelphia, was unable to pay a fine and costs of $221.

Dr. Rhone had been summoned to attend Mrs. John Schlorer, 116 White Horse Pike.

His chauffeur, Edward Parker, of 1619 Norris Street, was in the car outside the Schlorer home, when Allen struck it in the rear.

Allen lost control of his car, sideswiped the parked car, and then traveled 50 feet into a tree after which the machine ran another 300 feet before stopping.

Allen and six men and women in the car escaped injury. The machine was wrecked.

David Baird Robinson, of Collingswood, a motor vehicle inspector, and brother-in-law of Schlorer, who was in the Schlorer home, heard the crash and ran out. Robinson arrested Allen.

Parker suffered a sprained back and shock and was treated by Dr. William C. Williams, who pronounced Allen intoxicated. Six months ago Dr. Rhone's car was struck by another driver while parked in the same place. 


By Charles L. Humes 

In a shakeup of Camden police officials yesterday afternoon Lieutenant Samuel E. Johnson was named acting chief of detectives by Commissioner Mary W. Kobus, director of public safety. 

Lieutenant George A. Ward, who has been in charge of the detective bureau for a year, was transferred to take Johnson's place in charge of headquarters. 

Detective Louis Shaw was made assistant to Johnson, replacing Detective Sergeant Gus Koerner. Koerner was transferred to the Second District, for radio car and street duty. The new order became effective at 4:00 PM yesterday                       

Police Chief Arthur Colsey announced the changes in the bureau after a two-hour conference with Commissioner Kobus yesterday afternoon. 

Maurice Di Nicuolo, who has been an acting detective, was transferred to the First Police District, with former Acting Detective Clifford Del Rossi returning to his old post in the detective bureau. 

In the only other transfer announced, Sergeant Harry Newton was switched from the First Police District to the Third, with Sergeant Edward Carroll going from the Third to the First. 

Although no other changes were made public, it is believed yesterday’s are a forerunner of numerous shifts to be made today or early next week.’ 

“These changes are being made for the good of the service,” Commissioner Kobus declared. “There will be other transfers of officers and men so that all the police may familiarize themselves with all the branches of the department.”

 Lieutenant Johnson was a appointed a policeman on January 1, 1910. After 10 years as a patrolman, he was promoted to a detective, where he made a splendid record. On November 28, 1928 he was made a sergeant, and again promoted on April 8, 1930, when he became a lieutenant.

  Ward was appointed a policeman on August 2, 1917, promoted to detective January 1, 1927, sergeant November 14, 1928 and lieutenant on January 24, 1930.

  Johnson was a detective sergeant when former Police Chief John W. Golden was head of that bureau, but later was transferred to police headquarters.

Ward has been in and out of the detective bureau several times. He served for a time as the commander of the First District and later was ion charge of the police headquarters on the 12:00 midnight to 8:00 AM shift. He was a political lieutenant of former Public Safety Director David S. Rhone.

Camden Courier-Post
January 3, 1938

Click on Image to Enlarge

Camden Courier-Post - January 4, 1938

Camden Courier-Post
January 4, 1938

Click on Image to Enlarge


Camden Courier-Post
January 5, 1938

Click on Image to Enlarge

Camden Courier-Post - February 2, 1938

Jury List Prepared for Coroner's Action in Holdup Fatality

The coroner's inquest to decide the cause of death to Angelos Magalas, Greek chef, who was shot during a card game holdup at 725 Penn Street on January 11, will be held today at 10 a. m.

Coroner Franklin P. Jackson III, of Collingswood, will conduct the inquest and will select his jury of 12 from a list of 15 persons prepared by the office of County Prosecutor Samuel P. Orlando.

Detectives already have subpoenaed 20 witnesses for questioning at the inquest, including players who were the victims in the holdup and three Camden physicians who attended Magalas prior to his death.

The witnesses will include Samuel and Mabel Ermilios, tenants of the Penn Street house where the holdup occurred; George and Annette Mastros, who room at the house; Samuel Bosco, Broadway barber; George Summers, Ross Pantel, Michael D' Andrea. and William Caras, who according to police were participants in the card game.

All of the men were held as material witnesses in the shooting when arraigned today before Police Judge Gene R. Mariano.

Doctors to Testify

Other witnesses will include Dr. Paul Mecray, Dr. A. S. Ross and Dr. Edwin R. Ristine and Miss Sophia MacAfee, a Cooper Hospital nurse. Police who will testify include Detectives Thomas Murphy, Harry Kyler and William Boettcher and Patrolmen Richard Powers, Frank Clements, George Nicktern and Sergeant Jack Deith.

The jury will be selected from Guy Clokey, Collingswood; Lawrence Ball, Haddonfield; Howard Friant, Collingswood; Harry Chew, Collingswood; Sig Schoenagle, Camden merchant; Raymond Hanly, real estate broker; Benjamin Brest, Raymond Worrel, John Eby, all of Camden; William H. Lorigan, Merchantville; David B. Robinson, Collingswood; Rev. James Pemberton and John McGowan, of Camden, Earl Jackson, of Collingswood and Morris B. Clark, of Haddonfield.

Coroner Jackson refused to give a certificate of death until the chemical test of Magalas' brain was made by Philadelphia experts. The re suit will not be revealed until the inquest.

Assistant Prosecutor Isaac Eason and County Physician David S. Rhone gave it as their opinion that Malagas died of natural causes rather than, the bullet wound. Coroner Jackson then ordered an inquest to be held.

Police are searching for Frank Luggi, 21, of 322 Penn Street, who they say was one of the holdup bandits and the one who fired the bullet that struck Magalas.

The last coroner's inquest held in Camden county was in 1933, in the death of Thomas Timothy Sullivan, and previous to that none had been held here in 25 years.

Sullivan was 57 years old and lived at 401 State Street. He was employed as a detective by the Pennsylvania Railroad. He was found shot to death in a shack in the rail road yards on August 28, 1933.

At that time, County Physician Edward B. Rogers issued a certificate of death that Sullivan had committed suicide. The decision of the county physician enraged members of Sullivan's family and they demanded an inquest.

The inquest was ordered by then Coroner Arthur H. Holl, who presided. All the evidence in the case was presented to the jury of 12 men, and after deliberating for less than an hour, they returned a verdict that Sullivan had been murdered by persons unknown.

Under state law, the county physician may order an inquest; with 12 persons on the jury of the coroner's choosing. The jurymen may be taken from the present panel of the petit jury or be picked at ran dom. The Grand Jury does not have to indict on the basis of the inquest. At the inquest Coroner Jackson will be assisted by attaches of the prosecutor's office.

Malagas, the father of three children, lived at 1110 Langham Avenue. He was shot when several armed bandits held up a card game and he died several days later.

Camden Courier-Post * February 2, 1938

Jury Reports Magalas Fatality Superinduced By Wound

A coroner's jury yesterday determined the death of Angelos Magalas, of 1110 Langham Avenue, was superinduced by a bullet wound received during the holdup of a card game.

It was the second time a coroner's jury had been drawn in 29 years in Camden County. Witnesses said Magalas, a chef in a midtown restaurant, was shot on January 10 during a holdup at the home of Samuel Ermelois, of 725 Penn Street, and died in Cooper Hospital on January 23.

Several unusual developments pro­vided excitement during the inquest.

One witness, arrested with others as players in the card game, was asked to explain why he ran outside during the holdup and held the door so that others were unable to get out.

An attorney who sought to thwart questioning by Patrick H. Harding, assistant prosecutor, on the claim that he represented Frank Luggi, holdup suspect in the case, was silenced with the contention that he could not represent Luggi as long as the latter remained a fugitive from justice.

The case went before a coroner's jury of six men, Rev. James Pemberton, Earl Jackson, Harry Chew, Howard Friant, Lawrence Ball and Guy Clokey, with Coroner Franklin P. Jackson III presiding.

Samuel Bosco, Camden barber, one of the principal witnesses in the fatal shooting of Angelos Magalas, chef, during the holdup of a card game on January 10, is shown above at the Inquest yesterday. Bosco testified he held the kitchen door after making his escape from the scene of the robbery at 725 Penn Street. Bosco (right) is shown with N. Thomas Smaldore, an attorney, who attended as a spectator.

Tells of Holding Door

Samuel Bosco, Broadway barber, testified that he was playing cards in the Penn Street house when the holdup man came in.

"When I turned around and faced the wall like the man ordered us to," Bosco said, "I was facing the shed door. I ran out, pushed the door shut and held it. Five or six times somebody tried to get out but I held the door. I tried to get out the back way but I couldn't."

Bosco was the only one of the witnesses who said he was unable to identify Frank Luggi, a fugitive, identified by the others as the hold up man from pictures shown them.

Bosco told of a man calling him from his barbershop a few days before the holdup and attempting to borrow $5.

"Ermelios was in my shop at the time." Bosco testified, "and said "'Watch out he don't hold you up!’"

Bosco was asked by Harding if he could identify the man who tried to borrow the money as Luggi and was shown a photograph of the man sought for the crime. Bosco said he could not.

Tried to Escape

"Why did you try to get out?"

Harding asked.

"I tried to escape," Bosco said. "There were six or seven others there. There was plenty of protection," said Harding.

"The door was in front of me, so I went out," Bosco maintained.

"Why did you hold the door?"

Harding asked.

"I didn't know who was trying to come out," Bosco declared.

"Did the holdup man ask for you when he came to the house?" asked Harding. Bosco said he didn't know. Asked if his car was parked in front of the house and if Luggi knew his car, Bosco said:

"I don't know."

At this point, Elmer Bertman, an attorney, demanded that all testimony concerning Luggi be stricken from the record.

"I represent Luggi," Bertman said. "This is an investigation into the cause of a man's death, not a fishing expedition of the prosecutor's office. 

Can't Produce Suspect

"You have no right to appear here," Harding said. "You cannot represent a fugitive from justice. No attorney has that right."

Bertman maintained that the guilt or innocence of no party could be injected into the hearing. Coroner Jackson asked Bertman to sit down.

"If I have no right here." Bert man said, "neither has the prosecutor's office."

Harding said he represented the state and demanded that Bertman produce Luggi if he represented him.

"I can't" said, Bertman. "I don't know where he is," Bertman said he was serving notice on the coroner and the prosecutor's office, however, that he, represented the fugitive.

Dr. David S. Rhone, county physician, said he did, not wish to give a statement when he felt that the gunshot wound, a broken arm, the serum and the brain lesion contributed to Magalas' death.

Harding instructed the jury as to its duty to inquire into the evidence presented in order to obtain all in formation available as to what caused the death of Magalas. There was some question as to whether Magalas died of natural causes or by violence, he said.

A Difficult Patient

Dr. Edward R. Ristine, of Cooper Hospital, said he examined Magalas January 11 and that he was a difficult patient. Magalas, the physician said, sought to strike doctors and nurses and scratch them whenever his condition needed attention. "He was far from normal, Dr. Ristine said.

"Serum was administered," the doctor went on. "Afterward, the condition and mental reactions of Magalas remained abnormal. We took him from Red to change his environment but when we put him in a chair on the sun porch, we had to tie him in the chair with a sheet. Then, in some manner, he slid down, breaking the arm which had been wounded.

"Death was due to a psychosis, a condition which may have been initiated by the wound, and then aggravated by the serum, the reaction to the breaking of the arm and shock."     

Under questioning, Dr. Ristine said emphatically that, the gunshot wound was not the cause of death. The autopsy, he said, showed the man's brain was swollen, and not normal. This condition, he said, he could not explain. 

Brain Being Examined

Dr. Rhone, county physician, said the autopsy showed the membrane adhering to the brain. He said that while he felt the pressure was not the immediate cause of death, he had ordered the brain sent away for thorough examination.

Richard Powers, a policeman, told of making the arrests of the card players. Detective Thomas Murphy told of finding the weapon used by the holdup man on a chair. Powers was first to mention Luggi, saying that photos of the man had been identified by witnesses.

Ermelios gave a graphic description of what occurred, "We were playing cards in the kitchen," he said, "There was a knock on the door and my wife, who went to answer it, did not appear at once. I went to see who was there. I got as far as the dining room when 1 saw a man with a gun behind a curtain.

"'This is a stickup!' he said. " 'Get into the kitchen. My mother is sick and I need money. No one will get hurt if they are nice. Throw all your money on the table.' "

One of the other players, William Caras, Ermelios said, threw his money on the floor. When the bandit attempted to pick up the money the players jumped on him, taking the weapon away from him. In the scuffle that followed the gun changed hands again and when Magalas fell to the floor the others turned to aid him and the holdup man fled.

Woman Testifies

Mrs. Mabel Ermelios, in whose home the holdup and shooting took place, told the jurors she answered the door when the two men appeared .

"I was lying down on the bed in the front room," she said, "and when the bell rang I told my husband I would answer it. I looked out of the window first but I couldn't see anyone. As I opened the door one of the men put his foot in the opening.

"He asked me 'Is Bosco here?' and when I told him I didn't know he told me not to stall. Then he came into the house and told me he was holding the place up. The second came followed him in. He must have been hiding in the shadows of the porch. I didn't see him when 1 opened the door,

"The first man had the gun. He told the other one to grab me and I noticed he had something which looked like metal on his knuckles. He pulled my arms in back of me and held me. In a few minutes I heard a shot. The man who was holding me let go of me and ran out.

Saw One Jump Into Car

"I followed him and saw him jump into a tan car across the street.' I went to a neighbor's home and called the police. When I returned they were carrying Magalas out."

"Was Bosco the first one to arrive at your house that night?" Harding asked.

"I don't recall. I know his car was parked outside."

Mike Dandrea, another of the hold up victims, testified that he tried to follow Bosco out the shed door but he pulled it closed so fast he was unable to get out of the kitchen.

"I tried several times to push the door open and escape but Bosco was holding it and I couldn't do it," Dandrea said.

Harding announced after the jury had rendered its verdict that the entire case with the jury's finding will be presented to the grand jury.

"Will a murder indictment be sought?" he was asked.

"I can't answer that Harding said, "All the, evidence will be presented and they can return indictments against anyone they see fit."

Camden Courier-Post - February 9, 1938 

Vincent Gallaher to Be Named County Solicitor
by Freeholders To Replace Keown Tonight


Vincent J. Gallaher, of Collingswood, a Camden attorney and chairman of the Camden County Democratic Committee, will be elected county solicitor at tonight‘s regular meeting of the coalition-controlled Camden County Board of Freeholders.

This was learned through two unimpeachable sources yesterday. Gallaher informed close friends he would be chosen for the post.

Gallaher will be chosen despite claims of Walter S. Keown, present county solicitor, that he cannot he removed from the position. Reports last week that Keown had decided to resign without a fight to keep his job were declared by him to be false. He said yesterday he had no statement to offer.

Further it was learned that Keown was sworn in as county solicitor by Deputy County Clerk Truax on January 7. It was the first time he had even taken the oath of office.

Others Take Oath

Truax also admitted a number of other county officials were sworn in last month. No record of the other officials previously taking the oath of office is on file in the county clerk's office.

"As I understand the law the county solicitor does not have to take the oath of office," Truax said. "The act specifically sets forth that he shall be elected for a term of three years. Mr. Keown was elected county solicitor on January 1, 1937.

"An act does require the county physician must be sworn in by the county clerk or deputy clerk. Dr. Edward B. Rogers, who was elected county physician, neglected to take the oath.

It is understood that City Solicitor Firmin Michel recommended the appointment of Gallaher, who also is said to have the endorsement of Commissioner Mary W. Kobus, who successfully directed the coalition movement that wrested the control of the Board of Freeholders from the Republicans after an uninterrupted reign of 92 years.

Michel with Isadore H. Hermann and Edward V. Martino, all affiliated with the Camden city legal department, are said to have looked up the law and reached the unanimous conclusion that Keown can be ousted from his job and that Gallaher’s appointment will withstand all tests in the courts.

Other Jobs in Doubt

Other present Republican jobholders may also be routed out of office at tonight's meeting of the freeholders, it was indicated.

Apparently some who have held county jobs, many for long periods; anticipate the freeholders plan to replace them.

Among several known to have taken oaths of office during the last month are Mrs. Grace Anthony Riggins, superintendent of the county juvenile detention home; William B. Macdonald, county court stenographer ; George R. Braunwarth, custodian of the Court House-City Hall; his assistant, Thomas B. Dickinson, Jr.; Jacob Price, county supervisor of roads; Martin J. McNulty, county purchasing agent, and Dr. Lee J. Hammett, secretary-treasurer of the Camden County Welfare Board.

Ali members of the Camden County Park Commission have been sworn in. They include Leroy A. Goodwin, president; Dr. Frank O. Stem, treasurer; Horace L. Brewer, assistant treasurer; former Mayor Roy R. Stewart, William H. Dunn, of Collingswood; J. William Markeim, of Haddonfield and George Kleinheinz, of Camden.

Royden S. Matlack, assistant county treasurer and assistant auditor to the board of freeholders was sworn in on January 13, for both positions.

Truax did not attach any significance to the fact that the number of officials decided to take their oaths of office.

Following the appointment of Dr. David S. Rhone as county physician, Dr. Rogers did not legally oppose the naming of his successor.

Records of the county clerk's office show that Dr. Rhone was the first county physician to be sworn in and to sign the "book," as the official registry is called by attaches of the office.

Camden Courier-Post - February 9, 1938

Is Zat So?

May we not at this time proffer a suggestion to Mayor Brunner, Eddie Kelleher and the other party sachems that should be a sure-fire plan to make Camden county safe for Democracy? We advise that the Democrats gather a fund of $4000, the money to be expended in giving testimonial dinners to Republican leaders, near-leaders and persons who figure themselves to be both.

Engage tables enough to accommodate about 350 persons. Invite representatives of all the various G. O. P. factions in the county, give a half dozen tickets to boisterous Democrats, so that the latter can sit back in their seats and enjoy the subsequent dogfight on a full stomach.

This idea that I am advancing to register about 5000 more Democrats in the county and paralyze the remnants of the once-powerful county G.O.P., was born when I attended the recent testimonial dinner to Louis Bantivoglio, freeholder from the Fifth ward.

Naturally my attendance was purely in a professional capacity. Speeches were made by divers and sundry spokesmen, the high-light being the sales talk for Bantivoglio and Baird by David Baird, Jr. The latter waxed wrathfully but warily in castigating the "half-breeds," as he once sarcastically termed the Republicans of the ilk and stature and political. leanings of Commissioner Mary W. Kobus.

Rarely, too, have we ever attended a banquet, either in the capacity of guest or reporter that ever awakened so many echoes of the past as did the dinner to the Fifth ward freeholder.


First came the information from friends of Commissioner Kobus that she was responsible for the election of Bantivoglio from the Fifth ward as freeholder. In view of the fact that Squire Baird seemed to feel that the freeholder's election was a personal triumph; this appeared strange to yours truly.

We moseyed about, however, and discovered that whether the squire likes it or not Mary W. Kobus and her minions did elect Bantivoglio. The leaders of the Kobus faction who put, the thing across were headed by a woman named Madeline Salvatore and a gentleman named "Bucky" Branch.

Bantivoglio was elected by something less than 40 votes, These votes could easily have been given to his opponent but there were strategic reasons why the Kobus faction didn't want a Democrat chosen from the Fifth ward.

So Branch, who is a policeman, I believe, and who was not working on election day, it being his regular day off, went into his precinct and put over the votes that elected Bantivoglio .

And Mr. "Bucky" Branch, I have been informed, has been so sore at the fact that he did elect Louis Bantivoglio that he moans and cries and berates himself ever since the trick was turned ..

Politicos who told me the story about the Kobus support for Bantivoglio gave a rather sensible reason for the step that was taken by the anti-Baird folk. The New Dealers among the Republicans sensed that the division between the Republicans and Democrats in the 1938 Board of Freeholders was going: to be exceedingly close.

Too close, in fact, to take any chances. So it was decided to support Bantivoglio in the Fifth ward, because he was a regular Baird Republican and couldn't be won to the coalition, The reasoning of the Kobusitees was clear and correct.

Had Bantivoglio been beaten by a Democrat, the board would have been divided equally, The Democrats would then have been able to deal with an individual rather than a faction, One vote would have given either side control. Thus by putting Bantivoglio across the Kobus faction made it imperative for the Democrats to deal with that clique; in fact Brunner and his minions had to do that little thing.

In view of this analysis I'm con tent to believe that the Kobus claim that the New Dealers elected Louis Bantivoglio is absolutely okay.


Now don't get the information askew. Mrs. Kobus had no official or personal hand in this matter. It was the keen thought of some of her lieutenants, whose judgment appears to have been excellent, that fashioned this plan and executed it.

Meanwhile numerous politicos have been jibing Baird's statement that he would "rather have one Louis Bantivoglio than 1000 ingrates.". These political seers and soothsayers declared that such a declaration proved that its author was all wet in his political judgment and short sighted in his political history.

These politicos ambushed Mackay the other day, crammed him. into a corner and told him that if it "hadn't been for Bantivoglio Baird would have control of the city commission today."

These chuckling anti-Bairdites not only bearded me in my den, but dared me to disprove their statements by taking a look at the record. A stranger to politics in Camden, I didn't know the import of this statement until I squinted at the ward returns for the 1935 city commission election.

There in black and white is the proof that Baird lost the city commission fight because of the Bantivoglio-Leo Rea alliance in the Fifth ward. Just to take a look at the record again and to refresh jaded memories, the regular Baird slate received the following votes in the Fifth ward:

Bennett, 1016; Leonard, 1001; Lummis, 962; Rhone, 963; von Nieda, 1081. The New Deal ticket, then supported by the Messrs. Bantivoglio and Rea, polled these votes;· Baker, 1032; Brunner, 1022; Hartmann, 1001; Kobus, 1024, and Reesman, 930.

We would call your attention particularly to the Leonard-Hartmann vote. Louis and Leo supported candidates Brunner, Kobus and Hartmann, of the New Deal.

Leonard and Hartmann polled exactly the same vote, 1001. And the recount revealed Hartmann a winner by SEVEN votes, the box score showing Hartmann, 17,338, and Leonard, 17,331. And the Fifth ward turned the trick, for it would have been easy for Louis and Leo to have given Hartmann the same vote that Reesman received, or 71 less, and elected Leonard. There would have been no recount then.

Which scrutiny of the returns would seem to show that Bantivoglio as a friend of the squire proved his valor and vigilance in the cause by seating a New Deal commissioner and owing his seat in the Board of Freeholders to the Kobus clan.

In connection with this fund which the Democrats should raise to give testimonial dinners to G.O.P. leaders et cetera we might suggest that on each occasion they have, David Baird Jr., named for a new office. In order, that my friend, Florence Baker, can show her loyalty and friendship to the Old Guard Field Marshal by asking his election to the said office.

This suggestion to, the Messrs. Brunner, Kelleher and the others is made tax-free, and no charge for usage. If that scheme doesn't make Camden county safe for Democracy, nothing will.


July 24, 1941

Samuel E. Fulton
David S. Rhone
Convention Hall
Lew Fonseca
Judge Kenesaw M. Landis



Camden Courier-Post
July 25, 1941

Harry Beach

Camden Courier-Post - July 30, 1941

Edward Garrity - Mary W. Kobus - Dr. David S. Rhone - George W. Frost
Thirteenth Ward Republican Club
- Marian Garrity - Louis Street - Whitman Avenue

Camden Courier-Post
July 30, 1941

Yorkship School - Samuel E. Fulton
Collings Road

Camden Courier-Post - August 26, 1941

Henry Magin Laid to Rest By War Veteran Buddies

Funeral services for City Commissioner Henry Magin were held today with his colleagues in official and veterans circles participating.

Services were conducted in city commission chambers on the second floor of city hall, in charge of Rev. Dr. W.W. Ridgeway, rector of St. Wilfrid's Episcopal Church.

The casket was carried by war veteran associates of the public works director, who died from a heart attack Friday. A color guard from the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion preceded the casket, followed by the four remaining members of the city commission, Mayor George Brunner and commissioners E. George Aaron, Mrs. Mary W. Kobus and Dr. David S. Rhone.

A guard of honor lined both sides of' city hall steps, 22 policemen on one side and 22 firemen on the other, representing Magin's age, 44 years.

Hundreds of men and women waited outside the building to pay their respects as the solemn procession filed by. Mayor Brunner had declared this morning a holiday for city employees. The casket was borne by Thomas Jackson and Samuel Magill, both past Legion commanders; Leon McCarty, past commander of August Walter Chapter, Disabled American Veterans; Richard Jermyn, past commander of Post 1270, Veterans of Foreign Wars; Benjamin P. Thomas, past captain of Sparrow Ship No. 1269. V. F. W.; and William Miller, past State commander, D. A. V.  

Three trucks were required to carry the floral pieces from the scene of the services to the National Cemetery at Beverly, where burial took place.  

An estimated 8000 persons from all walks of life paid their respects to the late official by viewing the body as it lay in state in the commission chambers.

The throng of mourners of Camden city and county was the largest to converge on a public building since the funeral of Fire Chief Charles Worthington, who was killed while fighting a fire almost 20 years ago. His body was placed on public view in the rotunda of the old county courthouse.

File Past Bier  

A continuous progression of people filed past the flag draped bier for more than three and one-half hours. Scores of Republicans and hundreds of Democrats joined in the tribute.

Services were conducted by Camden lodges of Elks and Moose. Military rites were conducted by the Fairview Post, American Legion, of which Magin was a founder and past commander. The tribute was led by Mitchell Halin, post commander, and C. Richard Allen, past department commander. 

James W. Conner, chief clerk of the city water bureau and past State Commander of the V.F.W., conducted rites at the grave.  

Mayor Brunner and Commissioners Kobus, Aaron, and Rhone came early and remained throughout the hours of viewing. Mrs. Helen Magin, the widow, and daughter Helen, attired in deep mourning, arrived shortly after 7:00 PM.

Embraces Widow, Daughter  

Commissioner Kobus, who knelt in prayer before the bier, arose and went over to Mrs. Magin and her daughter. Mrs. Kobus embraced and kissed the widow and daughter of the late commissioner. They were in tears.  

Three firemen and three policemen maintained a vigil as a guard of honor. They were Patrolmen Jack Kaighn, George Weber, and William Deery and Firemen Arthur Batten, Warren Carter and William Reed.

American Legion and V. F. W. members in uniform alternated as members of the military guard of honor. A detail of 50 policemen was under command of Acting Lieutenant John Garrity. Fifty firemen, under supervision of Deputy Chief Walter Mertz, assisted the patrolmen in handling the crowd, which at times choked the stairways leading to the second floor.

Freeholders Arrive  

Albert H. Molt, director of the Board of Freeholders and Freeholders John J. Tull, Oscar Moore, Ventorino Francesconi, Stanley Ciechanowski, Earl Armstrong and Emil J. McCall arrived shortly after 7:00 PM. Moore and Tull wore American Legion overseas caps. Albert S. Marvel, clerk of the board, accompanied the freeholders.

Employees of the various bureaus in the department of public works, headed by Commissioner Magin, came in delegations with the highway bureau having 150, the largest number.  

Frank A. Abbott, acting director of the department, accompanied by James P. Carr, superintendent of Streets; led the highway bureau employees. Abbott is deputy director of revenue and finance and first assistant to Mayor Brunner. He was named by Brunner as acting director until the City Commission elects Mr. Magin's successor.

County Clerk Frank J. Suttill, City Clerk Clay W. Reesman, Fire Chief John H. Lennox and James A. Howell, chief of the city electrical bureau, attended, as did Albert Austermuhl, secretary of the board of education. Every city department sent a floral piece.

Outstanding Floral Tribute

Outstanding among the floral tributes was a six-toot broken circle of varied flowers, an offering from Mayor Brunner and Commissioners Kobus, Aaron, and Rhone.

A floral chair was sent by the Camden Police and Firemen’s Association. The word “Rest” was made up of flowers. The offering of the Veterans League of South Jersey, an organization formed by Commissioner Magin and of which he was the first president, was a large floral pillow.

The freeholders and county officials gave a large floral basket. Floral tributes came from the employees of the board of education, the RCA Manufacturing Company, the police and fire bureaus, Pyne Point Athletic Association, the Elks, Moose and several Democratic clubs.  

The floral tributes came in such numbers yesterday afternoon that Funeral Director Harry Leonard and his assistants could not find room for them in the commission chamber proper. They were banked on both sides, in the rear and over the casket.

Among prominent officials and citizens who came to pay their respects were Congressman Charles A. Wolverton and his son, Donnell, Assemblymen Joseph W. Cowgill and J. Frank Crawford, Sidney P. McCord, city comptroller, Thomas C. Schneider, president of Camden County Council No. 10, New Jersey Civil Service Association.

Others at Bier

Others were Sue Devinney, secretary to Mrs. Kobus; Fred S. Caperoon; Henry Aitken, city sealer of weights and measures, Horace R. Dixon, executive director of the Camden Housing Authority; George I. Shaw, vice president of the board of education.

Sgt. Ray Smith, chairman of the Elks Crippled Children Committee and commander of East Camden Post, V.F.W.; Albert Becker, commander of Camden County Post 126, Jewish War Veterans; Dr. Howard E. Primas and Wilbur F. Dobbins, members of the Camden Housing Authority; Postmaster Emma E. Hyland; Samuel E. Fulton, member of the Camden local assistance board.  

Also former Assemblyman Rocco Palese, former Freeholder Maurice Bart and wife, County Detective James Mulligan, Deputy City Clerk William D. Sayrs, Mary King, secretary to City Clerk Reesman, Charles W. Anderson and John W. Diehl Jr., former members of the housing authority, Walter P. Wolverton, chief clerk of the public works department; Thomas J. Kenney, Maurice Hertz, Isadore Hermann, chief of the city tax title bureau; S. Raymond Dobbs; acting chief of city property, John Oziekanski, building inspector, Harry Langebein, city assessor.

Oliver H. Bond, housing manager of Clement T. Branch Village; former Judge Joseph Varbalow, acting city counsel John J. Crean, assistant City Counsel Edward V. Martino, Paul Day, secretary of city board of assessors, former Assemblyman William T. Iszard, Harry Roye, district director of NYA; Victor J. Scharle and Martin Segal, Democratic and Republican registrars, respectively, of the Camden County permanent registration bureau.  

Mrs. Marian Garrity and Mrs. Mary F. Hendricks, vice chairman and secretary respectively, of the Republican City Committee; Dr, Ethan A. Lang and Dr. Richard P. Bowman, members of the board of education; Edward J. Borden, Carl Kisselman, Harry A. Kelleher, Samuel T. French Sr., former Freeholder Walter Budniak, Coroner Paul R. Rilatt, County Treasurer Edward J. Kelleher, William Shepp, of the city legal bureau, Marie Carr, stenographer, mayor's office; Samuel T. French Jr., member, board of education.

Also John C. Trainor, member of the Camden County Board of Elections; Antonio Mecca, funeral director; Alexander Feinberg, solicitor of the housing authority, former Freeholder John T. Hanson, Sterling Parker and Paul Reihman, member of the county park commission.  

James O’Brien, commander of the Camden Disabled American Veterans, was in charge of services by veterans at the cemetery. Former Freeholder Edward J. Quinlan, county vice-commander of the American Legion, directed last night memorial services and was in charge of the firing squad at the grave.  

Camden Times - August 29, 1941

Funeral services for City Commissioner Henry Magin were held Tuesday, with many officials and colleagues in veteran's and fraternal circles participating.

Commissioner Magin, who was 44, and head of the Public Works Department of Camden, died suddenly Friday, just as he had finished talking to an official. As he fell he was caught in the arms of James Carr, of the Highway Department.

Services were conducted in the city commission chambers of the City Hall, and were in the charge of Rev. Dr. W. W. Ridgeway, pastor of St. Wilfred's Episcopal Church, Westfield Avenue and Dudley Streets, East Camden.

Fully 8,000 persons viewed the remains Monday night as the body lay in state in the City Hall, and Mayor Brunner gave a half holiday to all city employees so they could attend the funeral service.

Magin was a veteran of the World War and was injured during action on the other side.

The casket was carried by war veteran associates of the public works director, who died from a heart attack Friday. A color guard from the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion preceded the casket, followed by the four remaining members of the city commission, Mayor George E. Brunner and Commissioners E. George Aaron, Mrs. Mary W. Kobus and David S. Rhone.

A guard of honor lined both sides of City Hall steps, 22 policemen on one side and 22 firemen on the other, representing Magin's age, 44 years.

Interment was made in the National Cemetery, at Beverly, N.J. Harry Leonard, 2750 Federal Street, had charge of the funeral..

Camden Courier-Post
September 3, 1941

John S. McTaggart - Dr. David S. Rhone - Dr. Paul M. Mecray Jr.
Kenwood Avenue - John V. Wilkie 

Trenton Times * February 27, 1942
Click on Image to Enlarge

Mary Kobus - George Frost - Rocco Palese - David S. Rhone - Henry Magin - James J. Mulligan

Camden Courier-Post * March 7, 1942

North 33rd Street - South 27th Street - Ralph Bakley - Daniel Smith - Engine Company 9
Charles H. Ellis - Arthur Colsey - George W. Frost - Mary Kobus - Dr. David S. Rhone - George Brunner

Camden Courier-Post - March 2, 1944

William E. Kelly
Joseph Campbell
George E. Brunner
Dr. David S. Rhone
William Cahill
Charles Humes
Freeholder Schneider
Freeholder Quinlan
First Ward Republican Club
York Street

Camden Courier-Post
May 24, 1944

Clay W. Reesman
David S. Rhone
John H. Lennox
Lugo Lanzilotta
Charles Patterson
South 4th Street
Haddon Avenue

Trenton Times * December 23, 1947
Click on Image to Enlarge

George W. Frost - David S. Rhone - Samuel Johnson - Nathan Pettit
George E. Brunner

Camden Courier-Post - September 17, 1948
ALL of the officers
were fully exonerated of ANY wrongdoing.

Nathan Petit - David S. Rhone
Louis T. Goldman - Bruce A. Wallace
Anthony Skolski - Charles Hance
Martin Nelson - George Getley
Everett Joslin - James Wilson
Walter Vecander - Anthony Palese
Edward Garrity - Samuel E. Johnson

James Bishop
Joseph Weller
Charles Howard
John Williams

Camden Courier-Post - January 18, 1949

SIGNING ON AS a new patrolman is William Bennett, 27, of 313 North Eleventh street. Watching are Director of Public Safety Rhone, Police Judge DiMona, and Police Chief Johnson. New officers, grouped from left to right, are James J. Large, William J. Miller, William C. Lewis, Edward W. Campbell, Carmin J. Fuscellaro, Charles W. Richards, Robert J. Kelly, and Franciesco Senatore

Camden Courier-Post * November 29, 1949

NAMED CHIEF of the Camden police department today, Captain‘Gustav Koerner, a 26-year veteran of the department and one time baseball player, is shown receiving the congratulations of Public Safety Director Aaron. A native of Camden, Chief Koerner succeeds George W. Frost, who resigned Jan. 1, 1948. Captain Samuel Johnson had been acting chief since then.

Gustav A. Koerner - George W. Frost
E. George Aaron - Mary MacClennan 
John Garrity - Walter Mattison
Albert Cornog - Edward Carroll
Samuel Johnson - Walter Rowand
Frank Call - George Brunner
Angelo Malandra - James J. Mulligan
Bart A. Sheehan - Nathaniel Petit
David S. Rhone - Mitchell Cohen
Charles T. Humes


Camden Courier-Post * April 15, 1950
Wilbur Morse - Stevens Street - Louis Cohen - Ventorino Francesconi
Edward Garrity - Dr. David S. Rhone - Dr. David D. Helm - Maurice O'Brien

Rhone Family Plot
Harleigh Cemetery, Camden NJ
Click on Image to Enlarge