Colonel George L. Selby

COLONEL GEORGE LAWRENCE SELBY was born June 14, 1879 in Camden, New Jersey to William Henry Selby and his wife the former  Emma Dunn Gibbon. He was the third of nine children born to the Selbys, coming after brother William H. (1875-1876) and sister Elizabeth M. (1877-1882). He was followed by Harry (1879-1923), Mabel (1884-1948), Mary E. (1997-1953), Walter W.(1891-1974), John G. (1895-1969) and Dorothy (19800-1974). His father was active in Republican politics and served with the Camden Police Department for 14 years, and later with the Water Department. Both George and younger brother Harry Selby were somewhat active politically and involved in the early 1900s with Company C, Third Regiment, New Jersey National Guard. George L. Selby was still active with the Guard when the United States went to war in 1917 and served heroically at the Battle of the Argonne Forest, and served the public for many years after his return at war's end.

He married Catherine Malloy around 1902. Five children were born to the Selbys between 1903 and 1912. As stated above, he had remained in the National Guard, and by the time America entered World War I in April of 1917, he had risen to the rank of Captain. He went overseas as the Captain of Company G, 114th Infantry Regiment. 29th Infantry Division. He was promoted to Major for his heroic actions during the Battle of the Argonne Forest, and to Colonel in the New Jersey National Guard after war's end. Among the troops he led in Company G were Sergeant James E. Reynolds of Camden NJ, Corporals William S. Hey and Charles Albert Mathews of Camden, Privates Townsend C. Young and Frederick H. Baynes, of Gloucester City, Private Walter Tucker of Haddonfield, and Private Samuel J. Reichard of Camden.

Colonel Selby returned to Camden after the war, and was given a hero's welcome. He was appointed adjutant of the New Jersey National Guard by General Winfield S. Price, who later became Mayor of Camden.  Colonel Selby also worked as the Republican registrar at the County Board of Elections during the 1920s, when he was succeeded by William Sayrs, a former Camden city commissioner.

On December 13, 1929 Colonel Selby was appointed Deputy Warden of Trenton State Prison in Trenton NJ by Colonel Edward R. Stone. During this time the Selby family lived at 1409 Third Street in Trenton NJ. He held that post until 1943, when he was transferred to Leesburg State Prison in Leesburg NJ, where he served in a similar capacity.

Colonel Selby for many years was the marshal of Camden's Memorial and Armistice Day parades. He was a member of the Raymond C. Thoirs Post 47 of the American legion, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, and the Elks Lodge in Camden.     

George L. Selby passed away at the age of 70 at his home at Leesburg NJ on May 17, 1950. After services at the Harry Leonard Funeral Home at 2850 Federal Street in Camden, he was buried with full military honors at Beverly National Cemetery in Beverly NJ on May 22, 1950, where he now rests next to his wife Catherine, who joined him in March of 1960.

George Selby's brother, Harry Selby, was a member of the Camden Fire Department from 1908 until his tragic death in 1923.

Camden Post-Telegram
December 8, 1921

William H. Selby
Third Ward Republican Club
Wiley Methodist Episcopal Church
Beckett Street
Improved Order of Red Men

Jesse W. Pratt

John L. Westcott

Harry Paul
Cooper B. Hatch
Harry Selby
George Selby

Philadelphia Inquirer
June 4, 1922

Emma Hyland

George L. Selby
John Hyland
George Kleinheinz

Camden Post-Telegram
May 4, 1923

Engine Company 10
Samuel S. Buzine
George Selby

Trenton Times
July 11, 1927

Harry A. Richards - George Selby

Camden Courier-Post January 11, 1928


Mayor Price was among the speakers last night at the annual installation of officers of General John A Mather Camp, No. 39, United Spanish War Veterans, held at 114th Regiment Armory, Haddon Avenue and Mickle Street. 

Other speakers were Colonel George L. Selby, in charge of the permanent registration bureau, Senator Clifford R. Powell, Burlington County, and Postmaster Charles H. Ellis

Mayor Price said plans will be made for the erection of an All-Wars Memorial building, similar to that in Atlantic City. 

Officers installed were: Robert Riley, commander; Harry Rose, senior vice commander; Harry Todd, junior vice commander; Edward Bearint, adjutant; John J. Doyle, quartermaster; John Buel, guard; Lenny B. Orr, chaplain; Edward Daves, instructor; Edward Phifer, color bearer; PO.C. McCormack and Frank Tomlin, trustees; John Pierce, sergeant major.


January 28, 1928


April 3, 1928

Victor J. Scharle
Emma Hyland


Camden Courier-Post * June 25, 1929
Walter S. Keown - Joseph Wallworth - Elizabeth Verga - Harry C. Sharp - William D. Sayrs
Howard B. Dyer - Laura Silberg - Lottie Stinson - Harold W. Bennett - Edward R. Diebert
Bernard Bertman - L. Scott Cherchesky - Carl Kisselman - Frank Voigt - David Baird Sr.
Francis Ford Patterson Jr. - Al Matthews - W. Penn Corson - Charles A. Wolverton
Clinton L. Bardo - Col. George L. Selby - Daniel Silbers

Trenton Times * December 22, 1929

Camden Courier-Post - October 21, 1931

Local Police Heads Greeted at State Prison

Headed by Major Charles V. Dickinson, local police officials made a tour of Inspection yesterday of the state prison at Trenton. Photo shows Colonel George L. Selby, chief deputy warden at the prison, greeting Major Dickinson and his companions at the prison gates. Left to right, those in the photo are: Patrolman John Stevenson, Lieutenant Herbert Anderson, Captain Arthur Colsey, Major Dickinson, Lieutenant George Frost, Colonel Selby, Lieutenants George Ward, Ralph Bakley and Walter Welch. The police officials were the guests of Colonel Selby at luncheon before the tour.

Camden Courier-Post - October 31, 1931

Officials Announce 90 Organizations
Will Be in March

A change in the route of march of the Armistice Day parade, was announced last night, at a meeting of the committee in the office of Director of Public Welfare David S. Rhone.

The proposed route is Third and Cooper Streets; to Broadway, to Kaighn Avenue, west on Kaighn Avenue to Fourth Street, thence to the city line and disband.

The parade will start promptly at 1:45 p. m. The grand marshal will be Colonel George L. Selby. The route of march is approximately two miles and shorter than any previous year.

There will be 90 organizations in the line of march. Included in these will be 18 American Legion Posts; 13 Veterans of Foreign War Posts; 18 National Guard units; five Naval Reserve units and 21 other organizations. Martial music will be provided by 15 bands.

All members of the police and fire departments who are war veterans, will be excused from duly and will participate in the parade as a unit..

Announcement was made by Jack Weinberg, chairman of the prize committee that two additional cups have been donated by the Retail Division of the Chamber of Commerce. This makes a total of 14 to be awarded. The last two will be given to veteran organizations outside the city of Camden.

More than 1700 school children from the sixth grade to the high school will take part in exercises to be held at the Convention Hall in the morning, it was announced by Dr. Leon N. Neulen, superintendent of schools.

 The children will parade under the direction of their teachers.

Camden Courier-Post - June 10, 1933

Former Camden Boxer· Paroled After Serving Two of Four-Year Sentence

Roxie Allen came home yesterday, sans the rough and reckless spirit of the youthful ring warrior who went to state prison more than two years ago. 

He left behind him the "number" 'by which he was known in the "Big House" at Trenton and returned as Rocco Auletto. Also discarded with the number was the care-free air that was a chief characteristic of the colorful battler around whom flocked thousands of sport fans in this city a few years ago. 

The transformation in Roxie seems to be complete. None the less eager to spend his vast store of energy he now is serious to a depth that surprises those who greeted a solemn man in place of the precocious boy they saw "go up the river." 

Allen, who was sentenced to serve four years on March 25, 1931, on holdup charges, was granted a parole Thursday by the Court of Pardons. He was one of 92 who bade farewell to Col. Edward B. Stone, warden, and Col. George L. Selby, chief deputy warden. The. court granted 114 paroles of 612 applicants. Seventeen will be freed in September. 

Roxie, who is 24, was greeted by Mike DeLeece, his manager, when Allen fought in the ring as a welterweight. 

Allen with four others was convicted in Atlantic county common pleas court on charges of holding up a craps game in a Vineland pool room. . 

DeLeece said Allen is anxious to re-enter the ring. He will be ready to go back in the ring within two weeks," DeLeece stated. Allen weighs about 160 pounds, is browned by outdoor work as a trusty and has kept in ring training, participating in bouts within the prison. Previous to serving at Trenton, Allen was at the Bordentown State Prison Farm. 

Another boxer, Jackie Hindle, who served as a Camden policeman, was reported paroled yesterday. This could not be confirmed last night. 

Camden Courier-Post * May 17, 1950

Click on Image to Enlarge
Click on Image to Enlarge

Camden Courier-Post * May 18, 1950

Camden Courier-Post
May 19, 1950

Photograph Not Available

as of

July 16, 2003

Final Resting Place
Colonel George  and Catherine Selby

Plot P26
Beverly National Cemetery
Beverly NJ