CLIFFORD DANDO CARR was born in Pennsylvania on December 19, 1893 to John M. and Elizabeth, Lizzie" Carr. The Carrs came to Camden in the late 1890s, after the birth of daughter Edith in November of 1896. The 1900  Census shows the family living in Camden at 614 Ferry Avenue. Sadly, his father died on November 28, 1902, leaving his wife and children John M. Jr., Catherine "Katie", William, Clifford, and Edith. By 1906 the family had moved to 697 Spring Street in Camden. By 1907 Katie Carr had married. Lizzie Carr, William, Clifford, and Edith moved in with her and her husband James Sprowl, and resided at 705 Spring Street from 1907 through 1909. The 1910 Census shows the Carrs and Sprowls at 429 South 3rd Street, where they had reunited with John M. Carr Jr.. By 1912 Clifford Carr had relocated to 443 Berkley Street. The 1915 City Directory shows him residing at 535 South 2nd Street

On December 3, 1915 Clifford Carr married a widow, Catherine Larkin Morris at Wiley Methodist Episcopal Church at South 3rd and Beckett Streets in Camden. Her husband Thomas C. Morris had passed in 1913. By 1916  Clifford and Catherine Carr, who was 14 years his senior, and her two children from a previous marriage were living at 324 Evans Street. They stayed there into 1922, then moved to 712 Royden Street.

Clifford Carr was appointed to the Camden Police Department on July 1, 1928. He was promoted to Detective in relatively short time and served in that capacity into the 1950s. 

The 1930 census shows that Clifford Carr and family were still at 712 Royden Street in South Camden. His wife Catherine was several years his senior and her two adult daughters lived with them, as did his brother, William Carr, a clerk for the Pennsylvania Railroad and a veteran of World War I, and his mother-in-law, Mrs. Mary Larkin. 

By 1947 Clifford Carr had been promoted to Sergeant and was still serving with the Detective Bureau on Camden's police force. He still lived at 712 Royden Street.

On April 3, 1954 a banquet was held at Kenney's restaurant on Market Street in honor of retiring Camden Police Department detective August Pfleiderer. Joseph Mardino chaired the committee which put the banquet together. Other members of the committee include Clifford Carr, Harry Tracy, George Ellis, Nathaniel Jones, James Mulligan, Russell Maurer, Samuel E. Johnson, Edward C. Garrity, Frank H. Ryan, James M. O'Neill, Stephen M. O'Keefe, Edward J. Quinlan and Joseph Webster.

By the fall of 1956 Clifford Carr moved after 1947 542 South 8th Street. At some point in the 1960s he moved to 1210 North Octagon Road in the Fairview section of Camden, where he resided until his death. Clifford Carr died on September 15, 1967 and was buried at Calvary Cemetery.  His wife had passed in 1948.

Camden Courier-Post
April 10, 1931

Reino A. Thompson
Linden Street
Clifford A. Baldwin
Fern Street
Kimber Street
Todd Rooney
William Moll
Clifford Carr
Anson Kelley
John Golden
Charles V. Dickinson
Melvin Cain
Francis Zoll
Herbert Townsend

Rose Thompson - May Thompson - Irene Thompson - Diamond Thompson
Frederick Alanko Thompson - Onni " Esel" Thompson

Camden Courier-Post * October 16,1931


Police last night cleaned up an old case of highway robbery that occurred at Second and Mt. Vernon Streets last August when Edward A. Turner, 48, of 1104 Cresson Street, was robbed of his watch, chain and knife.

At the time of the hold-up, Turner told police there were four or five colored men in the robbery. Detectives Robert Ward and Clifford Carr arrested Earl Bundy, 17, of 819 Sycamore Street, who they said had the articles in his possession; also Charles Wing, 17, of 1012 Francis Street; Sherman Smith, 17, of 161 Ivins Street and William Jackman, 16, of 152 Sycamore Street. The last three pleaded guilty and were sentenced to Rahway Reformatory by Judge Samuel Shay.

Bundy pleaded not guilty and was lodged in the local jail. 

Last night Ward and Carr with Patrolman Luke captured Oscar Moore, 19, of 135 Mt. Vernon Street as the fifth bandit. He will be held without bail on the same charge as the others..

Camden Courier-Post * October 23, 1931


Reino A. Thompson - Linden Street - Clifford A. Baldwin
Clifford Carr - Francis Zoll - Herbert Townsend

Camden Courier-Post - October 26,1931

Four Suspects Caught as Series of Weekend Robberies Keep Police Busy
Trio Held at Gloucester for Robbing Store at Westville Grove

Loot valued at several hundred dollar was recovered and four men arrested over the weekend as many robberies were reported to police throughout South Jersey.

Three of the men arrested were captured in Gloucester when merchandise stolen from a Westville Grove store and garage was found in their automobile. The fourth man was arrested in Camden.

Those under arrest in Gloucester, are Joseph Rietseh, 47, of 1245 Palmer street; Joseph Dorman, 18, of 103 Chango street, and Charles Headley, 18, of 936 North Fourth street, all of Philadelphia.

The loot found in their car consisted of automobile tires, cigarettes, safety razors, tubes and other articles. It had been stolen from the store and garage of George A. Fields, Delsea Drive, Westville Grove.

The three men were arrested by Patrolmen Walter Lane and William Fowler. who stopped their car because it had but one headlight.

Taken back to Westville the three men were held without bail for the grand jury by Recorder Charles H. Benner.

Held For Theft

When he walked down Federal Street with an oil stove Armstead Saunders, 56, of 314 Taylor Avenue, was stopped by the police Saturday night.

An investigation revealed he had picked it up as he passed the second-hand store of W. L. Ernest, 408 Federal Street, according to Patrolmen Walter Patton and Raymond Stark.

Saunders will have a hearing today before Police Judge Pancoast, on a charge of larceny.

James Josephson, 3320 Lancaster Avenue, Philadelphia, a salesman for the Household Institute of New York reported the loss of two cases of aluminum ware and an investigation was conducted by Detective Sylvester McGrath. Upon information he entered the apartment alleged to have been tenanted by John Harrigan, of 1289 Dayton Street and found the merchandise. Harrigan is said by the police to have left the apartment. The goods are valued at $150.

William H. McMakin, of 119 West Pine Street, Audubon, reported to Detective Robert Ward that he was held up at Pine Street near Fifth on Sunday morning by three young men. They relieved him of his watch, valued $35, and his drivers license. McMakin was unable to describe the culprits.

William Harris, 53, of 1731 Fillmore Street, told Detective Clifford Carr he was relieved of his wallet containing $6.90 by an unknown man at Haddon Avenue and Copewood Street, Sunday morning. He described the man as being about 27 years old and wearing a light cap.

Thieves entered the candy shop of Jones Wilson, Park Boulevard and Kaighn Avenue, Saturday night and took three cartons of cigarettes, some candy and soda valued at $23.

Hair Clipper Stolen

Waclaw Hermanolski, 1322 Mt. Ephraim Avenue, reported to police that someone entered his barbershop through a rear window and stole an electric hair clipper, massage vibrator and $15.

A grocery store operated by Joseph S. Eskowitz, of 1022 Broadway, was entered early yesterday and the thieves took three dozen cans of malt syrup valued at $12. Detective Benjamin Simon discovered the burglar gained his entrance by cutting a pane of glass out of the back window.

Louis E. Barnes, 21, colored, employed by the police department to catch a colored man who has been reported preying on unemployed and collecting money from them in promise of a job, has informed police that such a man got away from him on October 24. He is known to the police and will be picked up, they said.

Barnes said the man being sought told him to give him $2.50 for a white coat and he would get him a job in the kitchen of the Cooper Hospital. When Barnes returned with the money the man had disappeared..

Camden Courier-Post - June 17, 1933


Burglars who broke into two stores and a private home Thursday night got exactly $2.50, a radio, and some cigars for their trouble.

At the store of Basile Constantine, 402 Berkley Street, cigars valued at $1.50 were stolen by the intruders, who forced a rear shutter. Michael Kelly, of 11 South Fourth Street, reported his store was broken Into and $2.50 in pennies stolen. Entrance was gained through a rear window. James Hayes, of 1287 Decatur Street, told the police his radio set was stolen by the thieves after they entered his house through a rear window. 

Detectives Clarence Arthur and Clifford Carr are investigating..

Camden Courier-Post - June 19, 1933

Pancoast Proves 3.2 ·Beer Did Not Make Man Tipsy

Police Judge Pancoast is firmly convinced that 3.2 beer is not intoxicating. He emphatically expressed himself so to George Shuts, 34, of 410 Birch Street, Saturday when Shuts, who was charged with drunkenness, said he had been drinking beer. Detective Clifford Carr said he found the man "down and out."

"You never got in the condition in which you were found by drinking 3.2 beer," the court said. "Right now in New York there is a drinking contest being waged in which the contestants have been drinking a bottle of beer every 15 minutes for the past two weeks and they are not drunk yet." 

Shuts then admitted that he had "a few liquors" on top of the beer.

"1 thought so," Judge Pancoast said. "The man who be comes intoxicated on the new beer is either very weak physically or very imaginative mentally."

He suspended sentence on Shuts with the admonition to "stick to the 3.2".

Camden Courier-Post - June 22, 1933

Boys Smash Desks In Camden School But Take Nothing 
Suspects Believed to Have Resented Teachers Refusing Promotion

Hiding in the H. B. Wilson School, Ninth and Florence streets, until a Parent-Teacher Association meeting was over and the school locked for the 
night, several boys turned vandals by forcing open desk drawers, breaking the glass in book cases, marring desks and strewing papers about. 
A check-up revealed nothing was stolen. 

Lawrence Miller, of 814 Florence street, janitor, reported the incident to police yesterday. Detective Clifford Carr after an inspection of the school 
obtained finger prints from several papers and turned them over to Detective Edwin Mills for duplication. The prints will be compared, Carr said, with 
the names of suspects taken by him following a conference with teachers. 
The names included those of boys' who had failed to gain promotion or who were troublesome to teachers in the school. The Parent-Teacher 
Association meeting was closed at 10.30 p. m. Tuesday night. With no windows or doors forced in the school, Detective Carr was confident the boys gained admittance by secreting themselves about the school during the meeting. 

Camden Courier-Post - June 25, 1933


Charged, with the larceny of a watch belonging to Albert L. Hawkins, of Collingswood; John H. Evans, 64, of 2117 Sherman Avenue, was sentenced to three months in jail Saturday by Police Judge Garfield Pancoast.

Hawkins, who is a painter, said he was at work Thursday on the second floor of a vacant house at 805 Cooper Street, when he saw a man come in and take the watch from his trousers, which he had left downstairs.

Hawkins recognized Evans' picture in the rogues gallery and police arrested the man. Detective Clifford Carr testified Evans has been arrested a number of times on larceny charges.

Camden Courier-Post - June 25, 1933


Charged with being drunk and disorderly, James Kelly, 34, of 324 Penn Street, and Charles Murphy, 59, of 423 Stevens Street, were each sentenced to 60 days in jail Saturday by Police Judge Garfield Pancoast.

They were arrested at Eleventh and Linden streets yesterday on complaint of motorists who said the men would wait until a red light flashed and then walk into the street and ask for money.

Camden Courier-Post - August 11, 1933

Illness Drives Merchant to Take His Life
Daughter Finds Him Dead Over Gas Range at Home

Despondent over a prolonged illness, Isaac Greenstein, 50, of 411 Broadway, proprietor of a men's clothing store at that address, committed suicide last night by inhaling gas.

Greenstein was found slumped over a gas range in the kitchen of his home when his daughter Rose, 18, returned home at 6:30 p. m. All jets were open.

The girl rushed out and notified neighbors, who apprised police. Greenstein was taken to Cooper Hospital in the Second police district patrol.

Greenstein, whose wife Sophia was in Atlantic City, left two notes, one addressed to his family, asking their forgiveness and the other asking that a brother, A. Greenstein of 949 North Franklin Street, be notified. The notes were found on a table by Detective Clifford Carr, who declared Greenstein has suffered from a stomach disorder for years.

The note addressed to his family follows:

"Do not blame anybody for my deed. My terrible suffering compelled me to make an end to my unbearable life. Goodbye, my dear, good, faithful and affectionate wife. Goodbye, my dear and unfortunate children. Fate has been very ugly and cruel to me. The only thing left for me to do is get rid of my suffering. Please, good people, be good to my unfortunate family."

Camden Courier-Post - August 11, 1933


William B. Nece, 50, of 30 Strawbridge avenue, Westmont, was found dead last night at the wheel of his automobile, parked near Fourth and Penn Streets.

Death was attributed to a heart attack by Coroner Benjamin R. Denny, who will perform a post­mortem at Cooper Hospital today.

Nece was the proprietor of the Camden Elbow Company, roofing supply house at 420 South Fifth street. He is married and is survived by his widow, Mrs. Lotta Nece.

Detective Clifford Carr said Nece has been taking treatments lately at the offices of Dr. C. B. Scheffer for a heart condition.

Camden Courier-Post - May 2, 1935
Car and Bullets Found in Holdup Attempt Here

Camden Courier-Post - September 2, 1935

Youthful Bandit Stages Quiet Holdup at Broadway Drug Store; Gets $50
Victim Reports Robber Draws Object like Pistol, Demands Money

The Nevins Drug Company, 1124 Broadway was robbed of $50 Saturday by a youthful bandit who forced a clerk to hand over the contents of the register while a customer unsuspectingly sat in a booth a few feet away. 

Edward Malikoff, 19, of 58240 Malvern Street, Philadelphia, an employee, told police a "customer" approached the drug counter shortly tar 8.30 p. m. A patron was eating ice cream in a nearby booth, Malikoff said. 

The Intruder, Malikoff told police, whipped an object which "looked like a pistol" from his pocket, pointed it at him, and ordered him to band over the money in the cash drawer. 

Malikoff said he obeyed. The bandit then swiftly walked away, and disappeared In the Saturday night crowd of shoppers. Be was gone, according to the clerk, before an outcry could be raised. 

The bandit was described to police as 5 feet 9 inches tall, about 23, with dark curly hair. He was hatless and was dressed in a. brown suit.

Detectives Clifford Carr and Delaware Palmer are investigating.

Camden Courier-Post - October 29, 1935

Painter Nabbed as He Keeps Date to Meet Intended Victim, G-Men Say


An unemployed Camden painter and his reputed sweetheart were taken in custody early today for questioning in the attempted extortion of a Carneys Point store keeper.
The couple, according to Department of Justice agents and state police, had demanded $5000 from the intended victim under threat of death.

Held for questioning are Vincent Farao, 41, of 208 Stevens Street, and Miss May Collins, 23, of 235 Stevens Street.

The intended victim, according to police, was Anthony Travagline, 39, owner of a Carneys Point store, and operator of a food concession at the duPont de Nemours plant in Pennsgrove.

Farao, it was disclosed, was arrested by State Trooper T. L. Smith, when he kept an appointment at 11 p. m., to meet Travagline at the foot of Pine street and claim the money demanded. The woman was arrested a block away.

Concealed at a number of points bordering on the rendezvous were Department of Justice agents, with T. J. Donahue, of the Trenton office, in charge, together with Sergeant of State Police Detectives Louis J. Bornemann, and Camden City Detective Clifford Carr.

Bank Holdup Mentioned

Farao and the Collins woman were rushed to police headquarters, where the Federal agents and state police immediately began questioning them.

Travagline, it was said, received a letter October 19, in which the writer demanded $5000 under threat of death and in which the writer said he knew the Carneys Point man received $15,000 of the loot taken in the Pennsgrove bank holdup in February, 1934.

A second letter was received Oct. 25, giving instructions for the payment of the money 
demanded. It was said both letters were written by the Collins woman.

Travagline, it was said, was to meet the writer at the foot of Pine street at 11 o'clock last night. He was to have a handkerchief tied around his left wrist. The writer of the letter would have a handkerchief similarly tied.

Travagline turned the letters over to state police, who in turn, called in the Federal agents. The storekeeper was advised to meet the writer in the hope he could be apprehended.

A dummy package, supposed to contain the money, was prepared and Travagline, accompanied by the agents, state troopers and detectives, went to the designated meeting place about 10 o'clock. Travagline, it was said, feared to go through with the plans made and Trooper Smith was substituted in his place.

A few minutes after 11 o'clock, as Smith stood near the river bank, a man approached him, later identified as Farao.

Cops Disarm Man

"You wanted to see me?" the trooper asked.

"You ain't Travagline," Smith said Farao replied.

The trooper lunged at Farao, he said, and as he did so, Farao attempted to draw a gun. Smith 
overpowered him, however, as the federal agents and detectives swarmed out of their various hiding places.

Other agents, in the meantime, had found the Collins woman standing at an intersection about a block away.

Arriving at police headquarters, the agents refused to permit newspapermen to question either 
themselves or the two suspects as well as forbidding Travagline to talk. The storekeeper was taken to an Inner office, outside of which an agent stood guard.

It could not be determined immediately what formal charges were to be placed against Farao or the woman.

It was learned that Farao was employed in the paint shop of a Camden shipbuilding concern but that he had not worked the last five years. Most of that time, it was said, he had been receiving emergency relief aid.

Police said Farao was married and has two children.


Camden Courier-Post * January 4, 1936

Stanley Powell - Whitman Avenue
Frank Gromacki - Broadway
Samuel Shane - Mary Shane
Harry Gassell - Liberty Street
Samuel E. Johnson
American National Bank
Kaighn Avenue
Clifford Carr
Heber McCord
Joseph Carpani
Lane's Garage
Haddon Avenue
Line Street

Camden Courier-Post - February 29, 1936


Miss Viola Kester, 32, was found dead by her father in the bathroom of her home at 1214 North Thirty-third Street at 11 :30 a. m. yesterday. Illuminating gas was flowing from a hose. Cracks around the door had been stuffed with paper. Police described the case as one of suicide.

The woman's father, William, 55, told Acting Detective Sergeant Joseph Carpani, Detective Clifford Carr and Coroner Charles G. Jackson that his daughter had been brooding over the death of her mother, last July, and also the death of an aunt, in October.

The father, who is unemployed, told police that when he left the house his daughter was apparently all right.

Camden Courier-Post - March 17, 1936

Orlando Acts as City Cops Free Former Boxer in Payroll Plot

Prisoner Says Ex-Fighter
Got Him in on Theft, Tipped Police

Joseph "Joey" Powell, former boxer who was arrested by city police in connection with a South Camden holdup and subsequently released, was rearrested by county detectives last night.

Powell was taken into custody on orders of Prosecutor Samuel P. Orlando, who also ordered the arrest of a second suspect.

Camden police turned the case over to the prosecutor's office after the arraignment of Walter Lewandowski, who was caught in a police trap Friday night as he allegedly attempted to steal a $800 payroll at the Eavenson & Levering Company's plant at Fourth Street and Ferry Avenue. He formerly was employed there.

Two Others Implicated

Lewandowski implicated Powell, 25, of 46 Woodland Avenue, and Leon­ard Rogalski, 20, of 1219 South Tenth Street, in a plot to steal the payroll, according to Police Chief Arthur Colsey.

Powell thereupon was taken into custody and questioned, then, according to Colsey, he was released temporarily, in his own recognizance, pending further investigation. Rogalski was not arrested until County Detectives James Wren and Casimir Wojtkowiak took him in last night. The same detectives arrested Powell. Both suspects were charged with attempted holdup and robbery and committed to the county jail. 

Lewandoski,24, of 924 Atlantic Avenue, also in county jail, committed without bail by Police Judge Lewis Liberman Saturday.

According to Chief Colsey, Lewandowski made a statement in which he accused Powell of plotting the holdup and making him the “goat”.

"The holdup was Powell's idea” Colsey quoted Lewandowski as saying. "He got me in on it, and Rogalski was supposed to take part, too. Rogalski got “cold feet” though, and Powell sent me in while he was supposed to watch outside.”

"Instead he beat it because he had tipped off the police that the place was going to be held up."

Released After Quiz

On the strength of Lewandowski's statement, patrolman Edward Suski was sent to arrest Powell. After questioning, however, the former pugilist was released.

"We found no evidence against Powell," Colsey explained. "Lewandowski's story looked like an attempt to get himself off easier.

"We turned the case over to the prosecutor's office, as we always do after making an arrest that seems to clear up the case."

Lewandowski was captured by Sergeant Gus Koerner and City Detective Clifford Carr. The detectives were tipped off that the factory office was to be held up and laid in wait for the man.

When Lewandowski showed up, Carr and Koerner pointed revolvers at him. He fled down a stairway and Carr fell on him. The two grappled and the detective says the man pointed a .32 caliber pistol at him. Carr overpowered him with blow on the head with the butt of his revolver.

Camden Courier-Post - March 18, 1936

Carr and Koerner Will Be Questioned In Holdup Case

Detective Stanley Wirtz, suspended by Police Chief Arthur Colsey yesterday pending investigation into charges that he supplied the guns and an automobile for a holdup, has been ordered to appear today before Commissioner Mary W. Kobus, director of public safety.

Wirtz, who has been in charge of the city accident bureau, will be asked to "give his side of the story," Commissioner Kobus said.

Later the public safety head will question City Detective Clifford Carr and Police Sergeant Gus Koerner in connection with the capture of an alleged, bandit last Friday night, in an attempted holdup of the Eavenson & Levering Company payroll clerk.

Doran Accuses Wirtz

County Detective Chief Lawrence T. Doran yesterday charged that Wirtz had supplied the guns and automobile to be used in the holdup and then posted Carr and Koerner inside the plant to capture the bandits.

Wirtz, Doran said, admitted the charges in a statement given in the office of Prosecutor Samuel P. Orlando.

No motive for the detective's action were revealed by Doran.

Following the questioning of Wirtz and Sergeant Koerner at the prosecutor's office, both men visited the office of Justice Frank T. Lloyd late yesterday.

Justice Lloyd said later he had conferred with Commissioner Kobus in regard to the case.

"I advised the commissioner," Justice Lloyd said, "to go cautiously with the investigation and gather the facts before taking any action. It is a common thing for officers to lay traps for men who are prone to commit crime, although they have no business to encourage crime. I think it is bad policy to suspend any policeman before the facts of the case have been heard."

The charges against Wirtz came after an investigation was ordered into a statement made by Walter Lewandowski, 24 of 924 Atlantic Avenue, who was captured when he attempted to hold up a clerk at the wool scouring company, Ferry Avenue and Jackson Street. Lewandoski claimed he had “been framed" and named Joseph Powell, a police stoo1 pigeon, as the one who planned the holdup and then informed Wirtz of the plans. Powell has been a police informer for some time, according to Chief Colsey. The latter said he had taken Powell into custody for questioning and had released him in his own recognizance. Chief Colsey admitted Powell had given police the tip resulting in Lewandowski’s arrest.

When Lewandowski was nabbed, his gun was loaded with blank cartridges. This gun, according to Chief Doran, was given by Wirtz to Powell, who in turn gave it to Lewandowski. Another youth, Leonard Rogalski, 20, of 1219 South Tenth Street, was supposed to take part in the ho1dup, but "got cold feet and ran away” police were told by Lewandoski.

Doran’s statement follows:

"Stanley Wirtz, Camden city detective, supplied the gun and the automobile used in the attempted hold­up of the Eavenson & Levering Company payroll office Friday night. Statements were given us by three suspects all tally.

“Walter Lewandoski worked at the Eavenson & Levering plant, but was laid off there February 28. On March 3 he had money coming to him and he returned to the plant. Joseph owell accompanied him. Powell talked to Lewandoski then of the payroll, and suggested the holdup. Powell then got in touch with Stanley Wirtz, and told him that Lewandoski was going to stick up the payroll March 4.

"Wirtz on that night loaned Powell a car but someone got cold feet, and the holdup was not attempted. The following week, on March 13, last Friday, Wirtz took a car to Powell’s home and there turned over to him two guns and the automobile. Wirtz then had detectives posted at the scene to arrest the bandits when they made the holdup attempt.

"Powell met Lewandowski and Rogalski and drove them to the plant. There Powell turned over to his two companions the two guns that had been given him by, Wirtz. Rogalski got cold feet and refused to go through with the holdup. Powell then went into the plant with Lewandowski. After Lewandowski went in the door, Powell ran from the building.

“Sergeant Gus Koerner and Detective Clifford Carr, hiding in the office arrested Lewandowski. Powell knew where these officers were hiding.

"Wirtz was outside the building. He did not catch Powell."

Chief Doran said that no one implicates Koerner or Carr in any way in the statements received.

Koerner said:

"I was doing police work. I was brought into this case on a tip that a holdup was going to be staged and I had no knowledge of the guns or the car. I didn't know what it was all about but merely was there to perform my duties as a policeman.

Wirtz is 37 and lives at 1197 Thurman Street. He was one of the first of the new policemen to be appointed to the department in 1924 after Civil Service was put into effect following the adoption of Commission government in 1924. He is a veteran of the World War and got a special rating for that reason when he took the Civil Service examination. In 1931 Wirtz was appointed as an accident investigator in the detective bureau and has served in that capacity ever since. He has a good reputation as a policeman and has never been in trouble before.

About four years ago Wirtz figured in an automobile accident that caused serious injury to one of his legs.

Rogalski was not arrested until County Detectives James Wren and Casimir Wojtkowiak took him in Monday night. The same detectives arrested Powell. Both suspects were charged with attempted holdup and robbery and committed to the county jail.

Lewandowski also is in county jail, committed without bail by police Judge Lewis Liberman Saturday.

Camden Courier-Post - March 19, 1936

Colsey Doubts Cop Will Face Charges; Case to Go to Grand Jury

Decision on any action to be taken against Stanley Wirtz, suspended Camden detective charged with having furnished the guns and automobile for a holdup, will be made today by Commissioner Mary W. Kobus and Police Chief Arthur Colsey.

Wirtz, with Sergeant Gus Koerner and Detective Clifford Carr, was questioned yesterday, and decision was reserved.

Prosecutor Samuel P. Orlando, however, said he would place the case before the grand jury.

The charge involved the attempted holdup of the Eavenson & Levering Company payroll, in which one of the alleged bandits was captured at the scene last Friday night.

"No charges have been preferred against Wirtz,” Mrs. Kobus announced after the investigation.

"And I don't believe any charges will be made," Colsey commented, adding:

"Commissioner Kobus and I are going over the reports and statements of all concerned at 10:00 AM tomorrow and a decision will be made then.”

Suspended Tuesday

Wirtz was suspended Tuesday after County Detective Chief Lawrence T. Doran announced Wirtz had admitted supplying the pistols and car, allegedly used in the abortive attempt to obtain a $800 payroll at the wool-scouring plant. 

Wirtz was still under suspension last night, Colsey announced. 

William B. Macdonald, court stenographer, recorded the statements made by each man,

Koerner and Carr were "planted" in the office of the company before the holdup and frustrated the attempted crime, capturing Walter Lewandowski, 24, of 924 Atlantic Avenue.

"All three made full statements to us;" Colsey said and then declined to reveal what the statements contained.

Denies Stories Clash

Asked if there was any conflict between the statements made to Doran and those made to Mrs. Kobus and him, Colsey said:

''No, I wouldn't say so."

Wirtz appeared briefly before the commissioner and chief at the start of their probe, which was conducted in Mrs. Kobus' office. He left the room after about two minutes and told reporters, sitting outside:

"I refused to make a statement. I  made one yesterday and that is enough."

Mrs. Kobus, however, said Wirtz did not refuse to make a statement but, instead, asked for a little time to consider his statement.

"He said he had been In court all day and was nervous,” Mrs. Kobus said.

No Charges Made

Asked for a statement at the conclusion of the investigation, Mrs. Kobus said:

"No charges have been preferred against Wirtz. This was not a hearing on any charge. This was an investigation of reports which I read in the newspapers. It is the duty of the police officials to investigate any such report, and Wirtz and the other two detectives who figured in the case were called in to make statements. 'This was not, a trial and I do not care to make a statement now about what went on."

The suspension of Wirtz came after an investigation was ordered into a statement made by Lewandowski.

Lewandowski charged that he had been "framed" by Joseph Powell, a police stool pigeon. He named Powell as the one who "planned the holdup and, said Powell then informed Wirtz of the plans.

Rearrest Made

Doran said Wirtz, admitted dealing with Powell and giving Powell, two pistols and an automobile for use in the holdup. As a result Powell, who had been arrested and released by city police, was rearrested by the county detectives.

In addition, Leonard “Rags” Rogalski, 20, of 1219 South 10th Street, was arrested by the county detectives. They said Lewandowski told them Rogalski originally was intended to take part in the holdup but got "cold feet", and backed out at the last moment.

Powell, Lewandowski and Rogalski are held in the county jail.

When informed last night of the statements made by Mrs. Kobus and Colsey, Prosecutor Orlando said:

"I have nothing to do with the discipline of the police department. I will present the full facts of this holdup to the grand jury and, that body may take any action it desires."

Jury to Get Case

Asked if he would request an indictment against Wirtz, Orlando said:

"I will give the grand jury the full facts. The members will decide for themselves what action to follow."

Doran was in conference briefly with Mrs. Kobus and Colsey before the three detectives were questioned. He said he gave them statements made by Lewandowski, Powell, and Rogalski, and also by Wirtz.

Later Doran returned to Mrs. Kobus' office with a copy of charge of carrying concealed deadly weap­ons, preferred in 1930 against Lewandowski in 1930, when Lewandowski was 18.

This charge was no-billed, Doran said.

"He was listed as a mental case," Doran said, "and was examined by the county physician and pronounced O.K." .

Camden Courier-Post
August 1, 1936

Camden Courier-Post - August 4, 1936


August 4, 1936


Camden Courier-Post - August 7, 1936


August 10, 1936


August 11, 1936


August 8, 1936


August 10, 1936

Jacob Mutzer
Michael Meloni
Chester Mignona
George Getley
Clifford Carr
Carteret Street
Stevens Street
South 4th StreetSouth 5th Street


August 11, 1936

Camden Courier-Post
August 17, 1936


August 18, 1936

Camden Courier-Post - August 31, 1936


January 24, 1938

Clifford Carr
Clarence Arthur

examining recovered guns
and valuables

Camden Courier-Post - January 24, 1938

Camden Courier-Post - February 5, 1938

Madeline Slaughter, 28, of 819 South Second Street, was arrested in Philadelphia yesterday at the request of Camden police, who charged her with manslaughter in the death; December 12, of Jerry Brisbane, 36, of 115 Kaighn Avenue.

The Slaughter woman waived extradition and was brought to Camden by Detectives Clifford Carr and Donald Swissler. They signed a complaint charging, her with stabbing Brisbane during an argument at his home. He was dead when discovered by the proprietor of his rooming house, Charles Stewart. 

Camden Courier-Post * February 22, 1938

Youth 'Blackjacked' at Party; Father Retains Lawyer, to Investigate

Police Chief Arthur Colsey yesterday detailed three detectives to investigate a street row early Sunday at Fourth and Mechanic streets in which a Fairview youth and a Camden policeman were involved. 

The youth, Walter Callahan, 21, of 1375 Roanoke Road, is confined to Cooper Hospital with a slight brain concussion  and head cuts he said he received when "blackjacked" by Policeman Earl Cunningham, of 448 Mechanic street.

Chief Colsey removed Cunningham from duty yesterday afternoon pending completion of the probe. 

The investigation ordered by Colsey followed after Walter Callahan Sr., father of the youth, retained an attorney for the purpose, he said, "of getting at the bottom of this." Chief Colsey said that young Callahan had refused to talk to detectives at the hospital. 

The elder Callahan, a Gloucester druggist, said he had learned that his son was "more or less of an innocent bystander" in a row that started in the Cunningham home and that he received a "severe beating" from Cunningham and the latter's son, "Bud."

"My son went to a party at the Cunningham home," Callahan said, "and there, I am told, a row started between young Cunningham and a girl. My son objected to a remark passed to the girl and then Cunningham and his son jumped on my boy  and beat him."

"I have retained Charles A. Cogan, a Camden attorney, and have instructed him to make a thorough investigation preliminary to proceeding with court action." 

Prefers Drunk Charge 

Detectives Clifford Carr, Donald Switzer and John Opfer were named by Colsey to make an investigation for the police department. 

Cunningham, who caused a detainer to be lodged against Callahan on a charge of being drunk and disorderly; told his superiors he was forced to use his blackjack on Callahan when the youth attacked him and tore his shirt and underwear.

According to the policeman, who was off duty at the time, Callahan attended a party in the Cunningham home celebrating the policeman's wedding anniversary. Cunningham said Callahan left the house and became engaged in a noisy argument with two girls outside. He said the youth attacked him when he came out and sought to quiet Callahan. 

Camden Courier-Post - 1938
Click on Images to enlarge
August Pflederer - William Casler - Clifford Carr - Joseph Mardino
Thomas Murphy
Mitchell Sadowski - Stanley Krause -
Stanley Geda - John Lenkowski
Calvin Hunsinger - George Mayo - Genova Cafe 
Park Boulevard - Kaighn Avenue - South 9th Street - South 15th Street - Mickle Street - North 3rd Street Arch Street 

Gettysburg PA Times - July 18, 1938

Camden NJ, July 18 (AP)- New Jersey police scoured the Delaware River waterfront today for two men who shot to death Harry C. Armstrong, 63, a Pennsylvania ferry toll collector, in an attempted holdup Sunday morning.
       Detectives Clifford Carr and Herbert McCord said Armstrong was shot down as he stepped on a foot button in his ticket office, sounding a siren which brought police and frustrated the robbery.
      A watchman said he heard the siren and then a shot, and saw two white-shirted men dart from the ferry gate and disappear up a waterfront street. 


Newspaper Wire Photo

August 8, 1939

Rev. Walter Dworecki - Franklin Jackson

Camden Courier-Post - April 6, 1940

Clifford Carr - Thomas Murphy - Marshall Thompson  
Mary W. Kobus - Viola Street

Camden Courier-Post
July 30, 1941

G. Raymond Wood 
South 5th Street - Broadway
James R. Lloyd - Clifford Carr

Camden Courier-Post - June 14, 1944


Charleston WV Daily Mail - August 27, 1944
Auto Gunmen Fell Racetrack Figure

Camden NJ, August 26 (AP)- Five automatic shotgun blasts from a speeding automobile felled Robert Francis Curran, 44, of Silver Spring MD, a race horse trainer at Garden State Park, as he left the Walt Whitman Hotel in downtown Camden Saturday.
      Thirteen pellets hit Curran, but physicians at a hospital said he was not seriously wounded.
      Detective Clifford Carr said neither Curran nor his friends could explain the attempt on his life.
      The automobile sped away and no description of it or its occupants was obtained. 

Camden Evening Courier - March 23, 1945
Leonard Andruzza

Camden Evening Courier - March 23, 1945
Gustav Koerner - Clifford Carr
"Cappy" Roman - Oliver Morgan
Charles Cooke - Joseph Putek
Wilfred Dube - Gene R. Mariano
Leonard Lutz - Stephen Burns
James McBride -  Romeo deSanctis
Leon Grenkwicz
- Mt. Ephraim Avenue 
Kaighn AvenueDecatur Street


June 2, 1948

Royden Street

of the Immaculate Conception

Iowa City IA Press Citizen - February 10, 1950
Tearful Scene at Detective Bureau

Camden NJ February 10 (AP)- Six detectives stood in their headquarters at Camden City Hall with tears streaming down their faces.
       A great tragedy? A frustrating crime?
       No, nothing like that. Seems Detective Sergeant Clifford Carr opened a tear gas cylinder marked empty.
       It wasn't. 

Camden Courier-Post - December 29, 1950

Camden Courier-Post * April 5, 1952
Thomas Murphy - George Wilmer - Liberty Street - Earl Quinton - William Kelly - William H. Neale
Clifford Carr - William O'Brien - John Huston - August Pflederer - George Ellis - Marshall Thompson 

Camden Courier-Post * May 7, 1958

E. George Aaron - Anthony C. Mitchell - Walter E. Rowand - Harry Kyler Sr. - John Stanton
Benjamin Simon - Samuel Corsella - Karl Friedrichs - Thomas P. Murphy - Marshall Thompson
Clifford Carr - William Thorn - Joseph Hooven Sr. - Joseph W. Cowgill - Anthony Skolski