Ferat Jr.


CHARLES MITCHELL FERAT JR. was the firstborn child of Charles M. Ferat and his wife, the former Mary A. Wrifford. He was born on August 17th of 1878 in Camden NJ, where his father was in the candy business at 421 Federal Street, this business was founded by his grandfather, also named Charles Ferat. Born in France and a veteran of the Civil War, grandfather Ferat went into the practice of medicine in the 1870s, with his home and office at 405 Broadway

In late 1887 or early 1888 the Ferat family then moved to 26 Hudson Street. By 1900 the family and the business later moved to 526 Federal Street.  His younger brother, Edward "Eddie" Cummings Ferat was quite well known as a professional basketball player, and was a member of the 1903-04 National Basket Ball League champion Camden Electrics. There were two other Ferat children, William and Helene.

On On March 19, 1897 Charles Ferat enlisted in the New Jersey National Guard. He resigned as a First Lieutenant in 1916. He re-enlisted in May of 1917 and by 1927 he had risen to the rank of Captain. 

Charles Ferat married Nellie Ottinger on August 11, 1900. There were two children, a daughter, Ruth, and a son Charles M. Ferat 3rd. 

Charles and Nellie Ferat were living at 628 Berkley Street in September of 1918, when he registered for the draft, He was then working at the New York Shipbuilding Company shipyards.

After the war Charles Ferat worked at City Hall, and for many years as a clerk in the Camden County District Court. Daughter Ruth Ferat married Marcy Bower and moved to Syracuse, New York.

For many years Charles Ferat Jr. lived at 329 Garden Avenue in East Camden, a few minutes walk from his brother Edward Ferat, who lived at 63 South 29th Street. Edward Ferat passed away on May 7, 1950. Nellie Ferat died on February 1, 1954, Charles Ferat Jr. was still alive and living in East Camden when his wife passed. Sometime thereafter he moved to Syracuse NY, where son Charles Ferat III lived. Charles Ferat Jr., last a resident of Syracuse NY, died in July of 1969 at the age of 90 years. 

Philadelphia Inquirer
March 8, 1905

John A. Furey

Charles M. Ferat
This may have been
Charles Ferat Sr.

Roster of Officers, National Guard - 1906

Charles M. Ferat Jr. - Samuel R. English - Joel W. Fithian

Camden Courier-Post - June 14, 1933

Mr. and Mrs. Marcy Bower returned yesterday to their home in Syracuse, N.Y., after a visit with Mrs. Bower's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles M. Ferat, Jr., of 3084 Mickle Street, and Mr. Bower's sister, Miss Jean Bower, of Oaklyn. Mr. Bower, on Monday received his Master of Science degree from the University of Delaware. They were accompanied on their return trip by Mrs. Ferat. 

Camden Courier-Post - February 17, 1936

Sergeant-at-Arms Accused of 'Holding Up' Order Issued by Court

Edward Martin, sergeant-at-arms in the Camden District Court, has been suspended by Judge Joseph Varbalow on charges that he attempted to hold up a court order, and used profane language in a public office.

The suspension is indefinite, Judge Varbalow said, until he "turns the matter over to see if any further punishment should be given. Martin had no comment to make when questioned on the suspension.

Judge Varbalow said the charges arose over a case in his court involving Frank Schofield and James Pennington. The former had obtained an attachment on funds of Pennington, who is leader of an orchestra known as Pennington's Californians.

"When the case came up for a hearing in my court," Judge Varbalow said, "Schofield, who was the plaintiff, failed to appear. I then I signed an order directing the clerk of the court to return the money held up in the attachment, to Pennington.  

" Martin acted as a constable in the matter. He went to the clerk, Charles Ferat, and told him to hold up the order for an hour or so, until he, Martin, could get in touch with Schofield's counsel, Rudolph Eisener," Judge Varbalow continued.

"Ferat refused to hold up the order, and Martin called him a profane name. The matter was reported to me and I summoned Martin, Ferat and two other witnesses to my office on Saturday.

"At that time Martin admitted he had made a mistake and said he was sorry it had happened. He said he meant no wrong by his actions.

"I have suspended Martin for two reasons. First, because no sergeant-at-arms has the power to hold up a court order and second, because he was engaged in an argument in a public office, during which he used profane language”.

Herbert Richardson, counsel for Martin, would not discuss the case today. "I don't know what it is all about as yet, so naturally I have nothing to say. I feel that the matter will straighten itself out," Richardson said.

Camden Courier-Post - January 5, 1938


The funeral of Miss Jeanie K. Bower, Camden school teacher for 30 years, will be held at 2 p. m., Tuesday at the funeral home of Joseph H. Murray and Son, 408 Cooper Street. Miss Bower lived at 131 East Bettlewood Avenue, Oaklyn. She had been ill in a hospital for a year and died Thursday. She is survived by a brother, Marcy J. Bower, of Syracuse, N. Y. Burial will be private. 

Camden Courier-Post - February 2, 1954