CHARLES H. KLUMP was born in New Jersey in 1881, and originally worked as a lithographer and printer by trade. He was married to Sarah Patterson in the 1900s, sadly, she passed away in 1909. He remarried not long afterwards. Directories from 1911 through 1913 show him at 1101 Broadway. He would have then been in rented lodgings as this was Adam Davis saloon and hotel then known as The Palace. On cane deduce that it was here that Charles Klump learned much about owning and operating a bar. 

By 1914 Charles Klump and second wife Marion had settled in at 1374 Haddon Avenue, which would be his residence for the rest of his days. Charles Klump got into the bar business shortly before the 1916 City Directory was compiled, at 11 South 3rd Street.

When Prohibition was enacted in 1919, Charles Klump remained in business on South 3rd Street. He passed away in 1929. Marion Klump is listed as the owner of the bar in the City Directory for 1931. Besides the bar, he left Marion well taken care of, as by April of 1930 she owned an expensive for its time home at 347 Haddon Avenue in Collingswood, where she lived with her sister Alma Deegan.

Mrs. Marion Klump still owned the bar as late as 1934, as she is named in a Camden Courier-Post article as a tavern owner. No further directories were published until 1940, however, it appears that new management was in place by 1936. By October of 1936 the place appears to have changed hands, and was operated by Joe O'Brien. Mrs. Klump still resided on Haddon Avenue at that time. Marion Klump later moved to 267 Cedarcroft Avenue in Audubon NJ, where she was living in the fall of 1959. Marion Klump never remarried. She died in 1963 and was buried in Harleigh Cemetery next to her husband.

Philadelphia Inquirer - January 15, 1907

Philadelphia Inquirer - May 28, 1909

Philadelphia Inquirer - June 8, 1909


December 13, 1920


May 1, 1934