BERNARD BERTMAN resided at 941 Broadway as late as 1936, with law offices in the Wilson Building at Broadway and Cooper Street. In the mid 1920s Bernard Bertman was active in the fund raising drive that culminated in the building of the Walt Whitman Hotel at Broadway and Cooper Street. By 1928 he had been appointed judge in Camden's Police Court. In this position he heard many cases, some large, many small, and was in the newspapers on almost a daily basis.

Bernard Bertman passed away on Septemver 12, 1940 after an illness of several months. His widowed mother is listed as living at 1253 Langham Avenue in the Parkside section of Camden. 

South Jersey, A History 1624-1924 

BERNARD BERTMAN — Ambition and public spirit far beyond that possessed by the average man have brought personal success and local renown to Bernard Bertman, of Camden, New Jersey, attorney and city prosecutor.

Mr. Bertman was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, September 17, 1896, son of Joseph and Rebecca (Fisher) Bertman. The father was a prosperous merchant. The son completed his academic education in the Camden High School, graduating in 1914, and studied law while working on various newspapers. He had as preceptors the noted Judge Pancoast and D. T. Stackhouse, of Camden, and attended Temple Law School, from which he graduated in June, 1921. His admission to the bar by passing the New Jersey examinations occurred in June, 1923.

While realizing his ambition to prepare himself for the law, Mr. Bertman entered the newspaper world first as a reporter for the Philadelphia "Ledger" and the "North American." He then advanced to the position of editorial writer on the former and as political writer on the latter. In 1920 he served the Camden "Courier" as representative at the court-house, and there his knowledge of the law, his wide experience in observing his fellowmen, and his reportorial skill stood him in good stead and won for him much favor from the readers of the "Courier." He was then editor of the paper until 1923, when he began the independent practice of law. In September of that year he was appointed city prosecutor by the commissioners of Camden.

By virtue of the circumstances of his life, as by personal preference, Mr. Bertman has always been active in community affairs. He was an active campaigner toward the election of the present city commissioners, and a supporter of the Non-Partisan League, doing considerable stump speaking in behalf of the League. 

Mr. Bertman has taken an active interest in civic affairs. He is the president of the Young Men's Hebrew Association of Camden, and former secretary of the Independent Order of B'nai B'rith, and is actively identified with the Chamber of Commerce, the Elks and other organizations.

Philadelphia Inquirer - October 16, 1916

Samuel Macklin - Fannie Lashman
Harry Greenberg - Harry Teitelman
Meyer Teitelman - Benjamin Natal - Aaron Levin
J.Z. Blank - Julia Silver - Sue Tubis
Meyer Wessel - Florence Frisch - Jacob Weinberg
Louis Mackler - Mark Obus -
Jacob Furer
Bernard Bertman - Israel Heine - Sig Schoenagle

Philadelphia Inquirer - October 1, 1921
B'nai B'rith - Sig Schoenagle - Abe Fuhrman - Bernard Bertman

Camden Courier
June 12, 1925

Robert C. Ward - Bernard Bertman - John T. Cleary - Walter Keown - Edward Dillon
Edward Brennan - West Jersey Hospital -
South 6th Street - Everett Street - Joseph Brennan

Camden Courier-Post
September 2, 1927
South 4th Street - Maurice DiNicuolo
Amanda Kolway - Agnes Kolway -
Bernard Bertman

Camden Courier-Post
September 2, 1927
Segal Street - Walter Schinski
Joseph Carpani - Walter Smith - Bernard Bertman

Camden Courier-Post - January 2, 1928

Bertman Frees Both After Police Tell of Fuss at Brewer’s Cafe

Mickey Blair, Camden pugilist, and  Thomas Schneider. secretary to Commissioner William D. Sayrs Jr., started the New Year by getting drunk and becoming both abusive and pugnacious when ordered away from Horace Brewer’s restaurant on Market street, it was testified by three policemen in Police Court today. 

But Blair and Schneider as well as James Borini. who was arrested with them, won their freedom when Judge Bernard Bertman suspended sentence.

“There is no doubt but that you were all drunk” was Bertman's comment. ‘Surely, if you had been sober, this would never have happened. I know you are respectable men of the community and I regret to see you here. I will suspend sentence”.

According to the three policemen, however, the trio of defendants acted like anything but respectable men of the community yesterday morning when the New Year was little more than three hours old.

Patrolmen Frank Evans, Charles Bowen and August Fortune testified that Blair, Schneider and Borini had been ordered away from the restaurant by Brewer and that they had become abusive, threatening the policemen and calling them names.

Schneider insisted that he entered the argument only because Evans was “beating up Blair," but Evans and the other officers retorted that Blair had warned the policemen that they would be sorry if they arrested him and Schneider had boasted that “no cop can pinch me".

All were charged with being drunk and disorderly. Blair, whose real name is Michael Tenerelli, is 19 years old and lives at 833 South Fourth Street. Schneider gave his address as 414 Spruce Street. He is acting secretary to Commissioner Sayrs as a temporary appointee. Borini, 22 years old, gave his address as 324 Pine street.

Camden Courier-Post - January 2, 1928


Camden Courier-Post * January 3, 1928
Mickey Blair Denies Charge of Police
Says He Wasn't in Cafe; Blames 'Mistaken Identity' for Fuss
Mickey Blair 
Thomas Schneider
William D. Sayrs
Horace Brewer
Augustine Fortune
Charles Bowen
Frank Evans
Bernard Bertman
Edward Kelleher
Joseph Bardini

Camden Morning Post - January 3, 1928
Emma Scholl - Walter Keown - Bernard Bertman
William Brickner
- Jubulam Gandy - Thomas Atkins
West Jersey Hospital
North 6th Street - North 8th Street -
North 7th Street
South 9th Street -
Broadway - Linden Street - Benson Street
Penn Street
- Tulip Street - Morgan Boulevard

Camden Courier-Post - January 3, 1928

Bernard Bertman - Philip McDonald - James Lightfoot
Samuel Naylor - Charles Stone -
Harry Kyler - Walter Smith
Patrick Coyle - Walter Magan - Howard Malan - George Schmidt
Martin Dempsey - Morris Carrigan - Thomas Kirk
Market Street - Kimber Street - Carpenter Street - Cedar Street
Federal Street - Tulip Street - Pearl Street - Mt. Ephraim Avenue

Camden Courier-Post - January 7, 1928

Dismissed Man Sticks, New Appointee Reports, But There Is No Work For Either

There were two Italian interpreters in Judge Bernard Bertman's court today- and no work for either.

Under advice of Samuel Orlando, his attorney, James Canzanese reported for work as usual, although he was removed from office by the Camden City Commission early in the week. Canzanese has announced he will appeal his dismissal to the state Civil Service Commission and has retained Orlando to represent him. 

Cipriano Moles, named by the City Commission to replace Canzanese as the Italian interpreter in City Court, also reported for work this morning for the first time. There were no cases requiring the attention of either interpreter.


January 9, 1928



January 9, 1928



January 9, 1928



January 9, 1928



January 9, 1928



January 9, 1928


CAMDEN COURIER-POST - January 11, 1928

12-Year-Old Boys Sent to Detention Home After Looting Stores

Three “baby burglars” stood in police court today and admitted to Judge Bertman that during the past three months they had robbed six business houses in the city. They were committed to the House of Detention without bail for their appearance in Juvenile Court.

The boys are John Pukas, 668 Central Avenue; Bruno Brozozouski, 1747 Master Street, both 12 years old, and Frank Hotel, 1845 Broadway, 10 years old. They were arrested last Saturday morning as they were forcing their way into a rear window of the Hanover Shoe Company store, 1131 Broadway. They were captured by John Campbell, a private watchman.

When the boys were taken to police headquarters and questioned by City detectives Dolan and McGrath, they admitted their life of crime began three months ago. The said they sold a large amount of their loot which amounted to several thousand dollars.

In police court they admitted breaking into the jewelry store of Samuel Windthorp, 1029 Broadway, and stealing jewelry valued at $450; the Atlantic Cotton Company, 1041 Broadway, and taking several hundred pennies out of the cash register. When they broke into the store they entered through the only window that was not equipped with a burglar alarm.

They also admitted entering the Boston Shoe Shop, 1104 Broadway, and stealing 15 pairs of shoes and $58.75 in cash. Then they confessed to breaking into the Sugar Bowl, 453 Kaighn Avenue and the Dudley Furniture Company, Broadway and Sycamore Street. In the latter place the youngsters stole a box of cigars. They also said they entered the hardware store of J.R. Leaming, 1015 Broadway, and stealing a dollar’s worth of pennies out of the cash drawer.

“The trouble with you boys is that you have been petted and pampered too much by your parents,” Judge Bertman said. “You should be committed to some institution, and I’m going to hold you without bail and send you to the House of Detention.”  

CAMDEN COURIER-POST - January 11, 1928


When Paul Genovese, 48 years old, of 613 South 4th Street, a city gardener, was arraigned in police court this morning on a charge of carrying concealed deadly weapons, he told Judge Bertman he did not know it was illegal to carry firearms. Sentence was suspended after a severe reprimand.

Genovese was arrested Sunday night at Third and Washington Streets by Policeman Gus Koerner. The case was postponed to produce additional witnesses.

In court this morning Koerner said he found Genovese chasing another man with the gun. The policeman said Genovese was intoxicated.

Bertman rebuked the defendant and told him that just because he was a city employee and wore a badge he was not entitled to carry a gin and blackjack. In suspending sentence he told him he could not carry a weapon at any time in the future under any circumstances without the proper permit.

Camden Courier-Post - January 11, 1928

Revelation Comes after Police Inquire Into Family Stabbing Affray

Waiving reading and hearing of a warrant charging him with committing a serious offense on his 14-year old niece, a South Camden man this morning was held in $1500 bail for grand jury. 

Joseph Pennino, 50 years old, of 14 South South 3rd Street, a hot-dog vendor who has a stand at Third and Arch Streets, went to the county jail ion default of the bail fixed by Judge Bertman in police court. 

Evidence which City Detectives Frank Truax and Joseph Caputi Sr. obtained from their questioning of Anna Bongino*, of 325 Walnut Street, and which they say involves her uncle, will be presented to a grand jury later. 

Pennino’s arrest yesterday followed a day’s investigation of a knife slashing at the Walnut Street house.

George Bongiono, 48 years old, Anna’s father, is being held by police charged with assault with intent to kill Peter Di Pise, his brother-in-law.

Di Pise is recovering from knife wounds at Cooper Hospital, where he was treated following the fight of Sunday night.

Although police had said that Bongiono would be given hearing today, his case was not called in police court.

* Spellings are as they appeared in the article

One year Later

It was reported in the Bucks County Courier-Times, on January 17, 1929 that Annie Bongiorno was murdered by her uncle. The paper reads: 

KILLER-SUICIDE: Photo shows Pietro de Piso, of Camden, N. J. Who, angered by an argument with his niece Annie Bongiorno, 15, seized a pistol and shot her to death

CAMDEN COURIER-POST - January 12, 1928

Man From Glassboro and Washington Fail to Fool Contractor

Two “flim-flam artists” who tried to work the “envelope game” on a South Camden contractor late yesterday on Broadway and were caught a few minutes later after a long chase in which police and pedestrians took part, were sentenced to two months in county jail by Judge Bernard Bertman in police court yesterday.

The pair gave their names as William Gans, 32 years old, Glassboro Lawns, Glassboro, and Clarence Johnson, 52 years old, Washington. Their intended victim was George Bowyer, 129 Bowyer’s Court, who testified against them in court.

City Detective George Ward told the court that Gans had a police record in Philadelphia. Johnson, before he was sentenced, said he had tried to work the confidence game on a number of people, but that it had seldom worked. He gave up attempts to fleece gullible people of their money, he added, but had been driven back to that occupation because he was out of work.

Here is the story of their activity yesterday, as told in court today:

Johnson walked up to Bowyer, at Broadway and Kaighn Avenue, one of the busiest intersections of the city, yesterday afternoon and engaged him in conversation.

Picks Up Envelope

As Johnson talked with the contractor, his alleged accomplice walked by. Stooping nearby, he picked up a small brown paper envelope of the portfolio type. As he looked into it, Johnson and the contractor walked over. From within the envelope, which po­lice said Gans bad dropped and merely picked up to attract attention of the two men, Gans took a “decoy” hundred do1lar bill, according to the story the contractor later told detectives.

Only the figures on the “bill” were visible. The Johnson on acting as though he had not known Gans, decided he wanted a share in the “find”; the contractor’s story went. Gans acceded and both men then tried to learn “how much money” the contractor had in his possession, the latter told police.

The contractor’s money, together with the “find”, was to be divided evenly between the three, the men aid. The contractor, becoming suspicious, called to Alfred Trusty and James Gaskins, policemen, who were passing by.

One Starts To Run

As the prisoners realized their ‘game” was known, Johnson broke from the grasp of the policemen. He dodged through a gathering crowd and ran east on Kaighn Avenue, Gaskins, in pursuit. He was caught near Seventh Street.

Detectives George Ward and Louis Shaw, who grilled the prisoners, said they had defrauded numerous gullible persons in the same manner as that attempted upon the contractor. 

When the victim turned over his money and the “split” was made, a white envelope, supposed to contain money, would be handed to the “lucky participant” in the find. The “finder” and his aide would disappear. Then the envelope would be found to contain nothing but a few worthless papers, the detectives said.

Gans was arrested in Philadelphia about five months ago for “working” the “flim-flam game,” Ward said. He also served time in Goldsboro, N. C., for carrying concealed deadly weapons, the detectives said.

Both prisoners are colored and are said to have mulcted only colored persons. Several complaints had been received about their activities, Ward said. Last week a man reported losing more than $80 in a similar “exchange.” Names of complainant, were withheld to prevent embarrassment, detectives said.


January 11, 1928


CAMDEN COURIER-POST - January 13, 1928

Falling Ash Cans at City Hall Upsets Dignity of Court
Luckless Employee Reprimanded by Bertman, The Dismissed

Clatter of falling ash cans upset the nerves and aroused the indignation of Camden’s City Court today.

As a result, one city hall janitor came in for denunciation of an Judge Bernard Bertman, while only their agility and fleetness of foot saved others from a similar dire fate.

The court session had been in progress for some time this morning when a deafening clank and clatter of metal arose from below, penetrating the quiet courtroom and drowning out the testimony of some complainant who was relating his troubles.

 “What’s all that” inquired Judge Bertman.

Someone mentioned something about the city hall janitors having to take the ashes out.

“Tell them not to make so much noise” the court instructed Turnkey Fred Watson.

Watson left the courtroom and returned, but the noise continued.

“Did you tell them what I said?” Bertman demanded.

“Yes” was Watson’s reply, “but they didn’t pay any attention.”

“All right”, the court remarked, turning to Policeman Ed Carroll, “lock ‘em up for contempt of court.”

Carroll left the courtroom, but the arrest was prevented by a “tip-off”.

“Here comes a cop”, someone yelled from a window.

The janitors didn’t know very much about contempt of court, but the threatened arrival of a cop was something they could understand.

Jimmy Shissler took to his heels was last seen disappearing in a cloud of dust down Seventh Street. Ben Thomas dodged into City Hall and apparently found a hiding place.

When Policeman Carroll arrived on the scene, only the luckless Ed Carter, acting City Hall custodian, remained.  A moment later he was standing before Judge Bertman.

Even in normal circumstances Carter stutters. Under these circumstances he was all but tongue-tied.

“Where are the others?” Judge Bertman demanded.

“I couldn’t find ‘em” said Carroll.

Then the court turned to Carter.

“Why didn’t you stop that noise when you were ordered to?” the Judge demanded.

Car6ter considered.

“I-I d-d-d-d-d-did” he exclaimed.

“Well then, why was it that the noise continued?” the Judge asked.

“I c-c-c-couldn’t s-s-stop the t-t-tin cans f-f-from f-f-falling d-d-own,”, was Carter’s answer.

“Don’t let it happen again” the judge ordered. “Now get out of here”

Carter got.

CAMDEN COURIER-POST - January 13, 1928

Cop Finds Court Is Held Wherever Judge May Be,
2 Prisoners Are Released

“Where the judge is, there is the court” says an old legal proverb, but Policeman George Beutler doesn’t know many proverbs.  

Shortly after noon today, Buetler arrested Louis Muskovitz, 27, 322 Kaighn Avenue; Joseph Welch, 27, 217 Market Street; and Henry Cooke, 33, of 818 Penn Street. All were accused of peddling without a license, the officer finding Muskovitz selling neckties and the other two men doing a lively sidewalk trade in rabbits.

Judge Bernard Bertman passed through police headquarters as the three men were being booked. Muskovitz cornered him and began relating his story.  

“What are these men being charged with?” the judge asked Policeman Buetler.  

“Your courtroom is upstairs”, he replied. “We’re supposed to answer questions there, not here.”  

Judge Bertman turned to the desk sergeant. 

“Release these men on their own recognizance for a hearing Monday” he ordered.  

The desk sergeant obeyed.

CAMDEN COURIER-POST - January 13, 1928

Needed it to Cool Off, Riverton Man Tells Judge
But Has to Pay High Price

The liquor he drank was “burning him up”.

He was in great distress as he made his way along Federal Street near Eight, shortly after 1:00 o’clock this morning.

At least, this is what Owen Jones, 53 years old, Riverton, told Judge Bernard Bertman in police court.

This condition, he said was the  reason for grabbing a bottle of milk from a doorstep  and hastily drinking the liquid up, which “cooled him off”, Joyce testified.

But this quart of milk, which ordinarily sells for 15 cents, cost Joyce just $10, as that was the fine Judge Bertman imposed after hearing Jones.

Clarence Barnes, driver of the milk wagon, said he met Joyce on Federal Street near Eighth.  Joyce said “Good morning, how are you?”, Barnes testified.

Barnes said that he had wa1ked probably 30 feet by the man, when he turned in time to see  Joyce run up a pair of steps, grab a bottle of milk, and drain the contents. .

CAMDEN COURIER-POST - January 13, 1928

Comfy Bench To Grace Police Prisoners Dock

No longer will defendants in Camden’s police court sift from one foot to the other and wearily wish they were someplace else.

No longer will men who have been sentenced be led out of courtroom tired out from standing while they await trial for today carpenters were busy building a comfortable bench for the convenience of those who must bide their time to be arraigned before Judge Bernard Bertman.

Work on the renovation of the room and the switching of the judges bench, which began after court yesterday will be completed tomorrow.

The judge’s bench has been placed on the north side of the room. For eight years it had rested on the south side. Two offices have been built at the east side of the platform. Bertman and the other by James Smith, clerk of the court, will occupy one of those.

A wooden railing has been built In the middle of the room and beyond this will be the seats for the spectators and witnesses. Policemen, court attendants and reporters will be the only persons permitted inside this railing. At each end of the judicial bench there will be a small desk. This will be used for the prisoner receiving the hearing and the witness testifying. A small table will also be placed inside the railing for Edward Smith, temporary assistant clerk.

All the chairs will be taken out and benches put in their place. The entire courtroom will also be painted.

The entrance door, which formerly led directly to the inner section of the court, now leads to the spectator’s seats. It mainly due to this handicap that Bertman asked for the alterations, almost every court day the aisle near the door would become so congested that court wood have to be stopped while attendants removed spectators. . .

Camden Evening Courier - January 16, 1928

County Detectives Contend Philadelphia Gangster
Was Slain in Quarrel Over Woman
Deven Charged With Crime, Flannery and Taxi Driver Held Without Bail

With city and county authorities definitely divided on the motive and circumstance if the Sixth Ward Republican Club slaying, Joseph "Polack Joe" Deven was arraigned in Camden police court today and held without bail on a murder charge.

Through County Solicitor Walter Keown, retained as his attorney, Deven waived a police court hearing and was held to await grand jury action in the slaying of Joseph Cimini, Philadelphia gangster, at the political club early Saturday morning.

At the same time County Prosecutor Ethan P. Wescott announced his operatives had abandoned the theory Cimini was killed as the aftermath of an attempted hold-up, and were concentrating their investigation in the case on an effort to "find the woman'.

Statements of witnesses to the fatal shooting, the prosecutor added, made no mention of a hold-up, but contained the declaration that Cimini had been shot as a result of a feud with Charles "Chick" Hunt, former South Camden pugilist, concerning the affection of "Chick's girl". 

Police Claim Holdup

On the other hand, Captain John Golden, chief of the city detective bureau, declared he was unable to recall any mention of a girl in the statements obtained from witnesses, and added emphatically that his department still held the shooting had followed an attempted holdup of the club by Cimini and Joseph 'Mose’ Flannery.

Flannery and Hunt were both witnesses to the shooting by Deven, picturesque figure in Third Ward politics, which occurred at the Sixth Ward Club's headquarters, 908 Broadway..

After Deven had appeared in Police Court today, Flannery was arraigned as a material witness and as an accessory to the crime, with an additional charge accusing him of carrying concealed deadly weapons. Similar charges were made against Russell Sage, a taxicab driver, who arrived at the club with Flannery and Cimini early Saturday morning. These two were committed to the county jail without any bail by Judge Bernard Bertman

Hunt, however, was released under $1,000 bail as was Martin O'Brien, 27 years old, a former New Jersey State Trooper, and Harry Waterhouse, 28 years old, 1102 Marion street.

Three Others Arrested

During the day the police continued to build up their case against Flannery by arraigning him on the charges made by Milton Feinstein and Henry Mehrer. The also arrested Joseph Genther, 29 years old, 414 Atlantic Avenue; Robert Wolfe, 21 years old, 1106 Mechanic Street, and Eli Conaghy, 27 years old, 814 South 6th Street. Wolfe, who is Flannery's brother-in-law, and Genther were held "on suspicion" of having been with "Mose" at the time the latter is declared to have attacked and attempted to rob Mehrer, an Audubon policeman, outside the Ringside Inn, on the Black Horse Pike.

Conaghy, Flannery and Sage were arraigned and held without bail on charges of threatening to kill Feinstein and of carrying concealed deadly weapons. Feinstein declares these three with Cimini, the slain man, entered his cafe on January 2 and attempted to hold him up, threatening to kill him if he refused to “come across”. When he defied them by telling them to “go ahead and shoot”, Feinstein says, they departed.

Wolfe, Genther, and Conaghy were arrested by City Detectives George Ward and Thomas Cheeseman. It was Cheeseman who lodged the formal complaint of murder against Deven.

Two Others Released

Two other men who were questioned in connection with the murder case were in court this man but neither was held. They are Newton Blanchard, 923 St. John Street, a former boxing referee and alleged “stick man” at the crap game declared to have been in progress at the club before the shooting, and Michael Dandrea, 26 years old, of 1657 Norris Street. Both men had been released after questioning on Saturday. Police say they are the men who told police that trouble was imminent at the club and that “Flannery and another fellow are trying to stick up a bunch of other fellows.”

The city police hold-up theory was further attacked today by Francis J. McCarthy, a Philadelphian, who arrived before noon at the county prosecutor’s office and said he would co-operate with the authorities. He wishes to clear the dead man, he said, of the stigma of suspicion that he was slain while engaged in an attempted robbery.

Hearing in Police Court was brief. There was no testimony and Keown merely announced Deven would waive a hearing. Appearing also as attorney for Hunt, O’Brien, and Waterhouse, he said the other three men were “present at the unfortunate shooting” and thus should be held as material witnesses. He added the prosecutor’s office had permitted the release of the three under $1,000 bail each and requested Judge Bertman follow suit. The court acceded to this request but stipulated that new bail must be provided. The three men were freed shortly afterward when the bond was furnished by James Louis, 603 Kaighn Avenue, who had provided the bail yesterday in the prosecutor’s office.

Despite the declaration by two Camden district detectives who were present at the time and who said there was no evidence that gambling was in progress at the club, county detectives disclosed today that statements of the shooting contained the assertion that the men had gathered for a crap game.

These witnesses also declared the fatal shooting resulted from an argument over a woman for whose attention Cimini and Hunt were rivals.

In circles where the leading figures in the shooting move, it was freely predicted things would be fixed up for Deven and that Flannery, political worker and supposed gangster, was to be "made the goat".

Flannery is blamed by the city police for precipitating the battle. he has also been identified, according to County Detective Howard Smith, as one of the men who beat and robbed Henry Mehrer, an Audubon policeman, outside the Ringside Inn on the Black Horse Pike a fortnight ago. In addition, he is charges with attempting to hold up Milton Feinstein, cafe proprietor, 508 Kaighn Avenue. Cimini and Sage were also identified by Feinstein, according to Detective Smith.

According to the version of Cimini's death given in statements by witnesses to county detectives, "Chick" Hunt might have been the victim of the slaying had it not been for Deven's interference.

Gamble Over Affections

Like actors in a carefully-rehearsed drama, the various witnesses to the shooting made their statements nearly twelve hours after the shooting and, both city and county detectives say they agreed in all important aspects. Prosecutor Wescott declared, however, that no mention of an attempted hold-up was made despite the fact that City Detectives Clarence Arthur and Clarence Bunker- before whose eyes Cimini was shot down- stated Flannery and Cimini were holding the other men at bay when the detectives entered the room.

Instead, the statements of the witnesses described the scene as a dramatic gamble, with death as the stake, over the affections of a woman beloved by both Cimini and Hunt. This woman, who is married and estranged from her husband, is being sought today, Prosecutor Wescott said. According to detectives, Hunt was severely beaten last Wednesday night in a downtown gambling place by members of Cimini’s gang. Cimini, known also as Joseph Gannon, was a brother of William Cimini, a pugilist known in the ring as Billy Gannon.

The stories told by the witnesses place Hunt as one of the players in the crap game which was in progress at the club on Saturday morning. Deven was at the window, looking out, according to the witnesses, when he saw a taxicab draw up in front of the building. Flannery, Cimini and Sage descended and entered the club, it was declared.

“Here comes Mose, Chick, with that guy what’s gunnin’ for you” Deven is declared to have shouted.

A dozen gamesters fled from the room. “Chick” and a few of his friends held their ground and were waiting when the trio entered. Cimini, it is stated, walked over to Hunt.

“I told you,” he said with a sneer, “to stay away from that dame. She’s my girl. You were warned and sow you gotta take your medicine..”

Hunt said nothing.

Flannery drew from his pockets two automatics and flung them on the green-topped table, the stories go.

“C’mon, Chick,” he said. Don’t be yella. He toldja about the broad and he toldja what he’d do. Take your gun and shoot it out.”

“Chick” demurred.

“I don’t want none of that stuff, Mose,” he pleaded. He eyed Cimini carefully as the latter held one hand on the butt of a pistol which protruded from his belt.

Deven Interferes

Hunt made no careless movements toward the pistols on the table. Then Deven is declared to have interfered.

“None of that stuff, Mose” he said warningly. “Who’s this guy to come here making trouble? He’s no member, is he?”

Cimini moved quickly, the witnesses say. With an upward flip of his hand he brought the barrel of the automatic sharply against Deven’s chin. The latter lurched forward snatching one of the pistol from the table.

The weapon was discharged, the bullet tearing through Cimini’s heart. He died instantly.

The next moment, Arthur and Bunker, district detectives summoned by one of the players who had fled, burst through the door and lined up the men against the wall.

A short time later police arrested Blanchard and Dandrea. Blanchard, police say, was the man who gave them warning of the impending battle. Both men were released after questioning.

Released from Lakeland

The detectives found Deven cringing with fear under the table, the weapon still in his hand. Four other pistols were picked up in different parts of the room.

Deven was identified as a lovesick husband who appeared in the prosecutor’s office several month’s ago and asked to be “put away”. His wife had left him, he said, and he was afraid he might harm someone.

He was committed to the asylum at Lakeland. When or how he was released is a mystery. Lakeland officials said they had no record of him. Deven once shot himself in a suicide attempt police say, in grief over estrangement from his wife.

Gangdom’s prevailing opinion is that Flannery is “in” for it. Attempts and threats against the blond gangster’s life have furnished many lurid tales for the habitués of downtown hangouts.

Further, Flannery has made many bitter enemies through his political activities. In the last election he worked as a Democrat against “Mikey” Brown in the Eighth Ward. His overbearing tactics and bravado among the other downtown characters has increased the feeling against him, it is said.

Thus far, he has succeeded in keeping out of the toils for any length of time. His police record includes arrests for rum-sunning, carrying concealed weapons, alleged ballot frauds and attempted murder. His most recent arrest came in Philadelphia when he figured in a pistol battle in which a man was slain.

Camden Evening Courier- January 20, 1928

Bertman Doubts His Story After He ‘Shifts’ Loot to Cigars
Grand Jury Probe is Hinted by Judge- Reporter Takes Stand

Lewis Shectman changed his story in police court today and declared that it was only a box of cigars, not a gambling machine that was stolen from his store, 708 Broadway, yesterday by two bandits. Police Court judge Bernard Bertman characterized Schectman as a prevaricator.

Shectman denied statements published ion the Evening Courier yesterday, in which he and his wife and daughter related in detail how two men had carried away a gambling machine in an automobile after losing $2 playing the machine.

William Gaffney, Evening Courier reporter, was called to the stand and repeated the facts published in yesterday’s paper.

“I cannot help but believe you are lying”, Bertman said to Schectman. At the same time Bertman intimated that he would recommend a further investigation of the matter by County Prosecutor Wescott before putting the evidence before a grand jury.

Denies Stealing ‘Cigars’

Schectman appeared in Court today against two men the police arrested in the case The defendants are Walter S. Nowak, 22 years old, 442 Jackson Street and Martin Bertherlet, 25 years old, 1218 Pavonia Street. Each was held in $500 bail for the Grand Jury after Samuel P. Orlando, counsel for the two men, had waived a hearing.

Orlando, after the hearing today, stated that both men deny the charge of stealing the cigars. He would not comment on the case further, how­ever.

Nowak was caught after a two-mile chase through the streets. of Camden yesterday  by Schectman and Frank Helm, 2909 Stevens Street, who offered his car as Shectman cried “Help! Robbers!” in front of his store.

Nowak was turned over to Patrolmen Nathan Petit and Edward Carroll of the Second District patrol crew.

Both Are Identified

Berherlat was arrested. Police said he called at headquarters yesterday afternoon and reported that his automobile had been stolen from Hyde Park, Second and Kaighn Avenue. Police said they doubted his story, investigated, and placed him under arrest today.

Both Novak and Bertherlat were identified as the two men who rushed from his store yesterday noon, by Shectman.

A stir was created in court when the Broadway store proprietor said he did not own a gambling machine, and said that the thieves had stolen a box of cigars.

When Shectman, answering a question put to him by Bertman, denied that he had been asked to “change the story” Gaffney was called to the witness stand.

Gaffney recited in detail an interview with Schectman yesterday shortly following the robbery. How Schectman had said that be had been robbed at a slot machine by two well-dressed bandits and how he had pursued them through the principal streets of South Camden—account of which was printed in detail in Fridays Courier—was told by the witness.

Shectman Questioned

Questioning of Schectman by Bertman followed statements by Detective Louis Shaw and attorney Orlando.

Shaw, asked the nature of the case against Nowak and Bertherlat said that it was over the “larceny of cigars.”

Orlando said that he understood that the matter invoilved his clients with the theft of a slot machine from Shectman’s store. Orlando said that his clients denied stealing cigars.

Neither of the defendants were called to testify.

Following Gaffney’s testimony, Judge Bertman said that he was tempted to hold the complainant under bail.

Shectman then again tried to “explain” the alleged discrepancies in the interview Friday and the statements made in court this morning.

“I don’t want to talk with you” was Bertman’s answer to Shectman’s request for a “few minutes” with the judge.

Police today said that they had arrested Harry Simons, 44, of 1447 South 4th street “on suspicion” last night. After Shectman positively identified Nowak and Bertherlat, Simons was released.

An erroneous report of the license number found on the Flint touring car used by the men on their flight from Shectman’s store was made yesterday. The license number, police said, was C16209 and not C16207 as reported yesterday.

It was through the tracing of the license number and the report that Bertherlat’s car had been stolen, that the second arrest in the case was made this morning.

Police said they figured the car had been used in several south Camden robberies during the past month.

Under the law, had Shectman admitted to possession of the slot machine, he would have been subject to a fine.

CAMDEN COURIER-POST - January 20, 1928


It cost a Haddonfield man $10 for the trouble he took last night to “make up a purse’ which would give him transportation to his home from Camden.

Robert Brown, 44 years old, was arrested by Policeman William Troncone shortly before midnight on Federal Street near Broadway. Troncone said Brown was stopping people and asking them for money. Brown testified that he had eight cents and need two more in order to pay his carfare home.

Judge Bertman imposed a fine of $10.

Camden Courier-Post - January 21, 1928


Joseph Knecht, 20 years old, 328 Byron Street, was sentenced to 60 days in the county jail this morning when he was  arraigned in police court charged with stealing milk.

Knecht was arrested at 4 o’clock this morning by Policeman Oliver Morgan at Third and Erie Streets. The officer told Judge Bertman he had received a number of complaints from drivers who said they had lost a great quantity of milk during the past week. He said he caught Knecht in the act of stealing a bottle of milk from a doorstep.

Camden Courier-Post - January 23, 1928


Two youths were sent to the county jail today for two months by City Judge Bertman, where they were caught acting in a suspicious manner in several private garages near Fourth and Jefferson Streets. The youths denied any intentions of taking anything from the garages.

The prisoners said they were Joseph Dubowski, 17 years old, 1819 Fillmore Street, and Walter J. Hart, 18 years old, of Moorestown. They were arrested by Patrolman Walter Larsen.

Larsen told Judge Bertman in Police Court today that numerous complaints had been received of robberies in the garages which are used by employees of a large industrial plant nearby. Larsen said he found the youths in one of the garages and that they were unable to explain their presence there.

Camden Courier-Post - January 24, 1928


A “love-sick” suitor who insisted on sleeping on the doorstep of the home of a married woman when she refused to admit him to her apartment was fined $50 in police court yesterday.

Michael Maloney, 30 years old, 38 North Third Street, was arraigned before Judge Bertman this morning on complaint of Mrs. Eileen Baker, 219 North Third Street.

Mrs. Baker told the court Maloney came to her home and when she refused to open the door he lay down and went to sleep for three hours. After he awoke he broke into the door and grabbed her by the arm. She then had him arrested.

“What is the matter with him?” asked Bertman.

“I don’t know,” replied Mrs. Baker. “I guess he’s love-sick”.

Asked ‘what he had to say for his conduct, Maloney said he did not remember anything because he was intoxicated. He said he had known Mrs. Baker for nine years.

Camden Courier-Post - January 25, 1928

Love Campaign Fails, Man Seeks $300 Back
South Camden Wooer, 55, Father of 6, His Bank Roll Depleted,
Seeks to Recover Money He Spent  in Futile Search for a Bride

He thought he could get a bride if he flashed a large enough bank roll, but although he gave nearly $300 to various women to manage his “love campaign,” he is still without anyone to be a mother to his six children.

That is the story Joseph Mangini, 56 years old, 529 South Third Street,  told detectives when he asked the arrest of Mrs. Elizabeth Burns, 22 years old, 286 Kaighn Avenue.

Today the aspiring Romeo, who looks much younger than his actual age, in spite of a shining bald head, appeared in police court, where Mrs. Burns was arraigned on a charge of obtaining money under false pretenses.

Case Continued Week

"He came often to my house, always early in the morning, and gave me money, but I never promised to get him a wife,” the defendant testified. “I’m no match maker and a whole stack of his money wouldn’t induce me to arrange his love affairs for him.”

The case was continued for one week so the police can check up on the conflicting stories told by the two principals.

Mrs. Burns’ grandmother was his first choice, Mangini told detectives. After he had spent money to persuade her to marry him, she died, he said. Then he turned his attentions to courting Mrs. Burns’ mother. This suit cost him $200, but he didn’t mind that, for a marriage seemed certain this time, he told detectives.

After the marriage license had been obtained and all preparations had been made for the wedding, he discovered that his second choice was already married, Mangini said.

Says Mother Is Married

Mrs. Burns has another story to tell. When questioned by City Detective Fiore Troncone, she insisted her mother and Mangini had been married. She denied she had promised to man­age the man’s amorial adventures and declared that, although he gave her considerable money, she did not agree to get him a wife in return.

“I have known Mangini for about three or four months.” Mrs. Burns said. 1.1 met him through a woman I know only as Matilda, who lives at 529 South Third Street. He said he wanted to get married and told me he was interested in my grandmother, Mrs. Rose Capella. She was 62 years old, but he said the age didn’t matter."

“I arranged a meeting and the two of us went over to 3547 North Warnock Street, Philadelphia, and brought my grandmother over to the Third Street house. They talked the matter of marriage over and then we went to my house, where they talked some more. That was Saturday. "

Visits Children In Home

“The next day Mangini gave her some money. I don’t know how much. Then the three of us went out to the Home for Friendless Children on Haddon Avenue, where we visited his six children. Grandmother went home early Monday after a marriage pact had been agreed upon."

"Then on New Year’s Day she died. We told Mangini about it and he said he was going to look for another woman to be his wife. He never asked me to persuade my mother, Mrs. Mary Capella, to marry him, but he did tell me one day when I met him that he had decided to court her.

“While he was engaged to my mother he gave her three or four $20 hills, and then one day he gave me $100 to give to her. She lived in Atlantic City and I wrote to her about the money. She told me to keep it. A little later, Mangini gave me $40 or $50, but I made no promises. My mother did all that.. I know that this woman Matilda got $50, too, but I don’t don’t know what for. "

Got Marriage License

“On January 4 I went with my mother and Mangini to Camden city hall, where they got a marriage license, A few days later they were married. I know that for a fact. "

Mrs. Burns admitted to Troncone that her father was still living. She said he and her mother had been separated for sixteen years, but added that they had never been married.

Questioned about her own marital state, Mrs. Burns admitted she had lived for nine years with a man she called Frank Caparale. She said the last time she saw him was four months ago. She denied she had ever been married to him. She has been married to Leo Burns for several years.

Police To Probe Stories

It was this part of the woman’s story that resulted in the trial before Judge Bernard Bertman this morning being continued for a week. Detectives wish to check on the present marital state of both Mrs. Burns and her mother. Furthermore they are anxious to know whether Mangini and the mother are now married.

Mrs. Burns has changed twice her story twice on this point. She told detectives she was positive they were married and she told Judge Bertman she wasn’t sure whether they were.

Police also revealed today that Mrs. Burns appeared in police court five weeks ago as complaining witness against Mrs. Irene Aspello, 405 Stevens Street, who has since moved 19 South Fifth Street. Mrs. Burns charged Mrs. Aspello with running a disorderly house and selling liquor. The defendant accused Mrs. Burns of stealing her bedclothes while she was living with her. Because neither story was substantiated, the case was dismissed, after Mrs. Burns had charged that policemen were aware of Mrs. Aspello’s law violations..

Camden Courier-Post - January 25, 1928


Two non support cases were heard by Police Judge Bernard Bertman in Police Court this morning.

Albert Saunders, 22 years old, of 915 St. John Street, was ordered to pay his wife Pearl $100 a week. The complainant testified that they had been separated two months. There are two children. Mrs. Saunders said that he been given an $8 a week order but had failed to keep up payments.

Percy Ledyard, 53 years old, of 218 Amber street, was given three weeks’ probation in order to secure employment after he had testified that his wife Anna had objected to the work he had been doing.

Mrs. Ledyard testified that her husband had failed to hand over his pay envelopes, but admitted that he had contributed to the family’s support..

Camden Courier-Post - January 25, 1928

Husband Dismissed When Brunette 
of Sixth Ward Shooting Fails To Appear in Court

Back into the notice of Camden’s Police Court, but not into its courtroom, Katherine Rosalie came today.

The attractive 23-year-old brunette ‘who was known as “Chick Hunt’s girl” during the investigation of the Sixth Ward Republican Club shooting affray & fortnight ago, was to have appeared before Judge Bernard Bertman today to press charges against her husband, John Rosalie, 30 years old, of 1956 South Sixth street.

On January 10, it was made known; Mrs. Rosalie swore out a warrant charging her husband with threatening to kill her. Rosalie was arrested Monday night by Patrolman John Hollowell and the case scheduled for a hearing yesterday. Katherine didn’t appear and the case was postponed until today.

Today when the case was called Katherine was again absent from the courtroom and Judge Bertman sent Motorcycle Patrolman Heber McCord to the apartment house at 311 Cooper street where the young woman formerly had lived. The officer returned with the information that Katherine had moved, no one at the apartment house knew where. Accordingly Judge Bertman dismissed the complaint against Rosalie.


January 27, 1928



January 30, 1928

George Ward
Thomas Cheeseman
Louis Shaw
Frank Truax


CAMDEN COURIER-POST - January 31, 1928


Youth Accused by Child of Luring Into House is Held for Trial

After little 10-year-old Mamie Zimmie, 1181 Morton Street, finished telling a story of how she had been lured into a house, and had escaped by leaping to the ground from a porch roof. Police Judge Bernard Bertman this morning held Samuel Osler, 18 years old, 1450 Mount Ephraim Avenue in $2500 bail for the Grand Jury.

In default young Osler was committed to the county jail.

Facing a courtroom, crowded with spectators, and showing no sign of fear or excitement, Mamie, while on the witness stand, turned toward the youth, six years her senior, and declared, "That’s the boy who tried to hurt me.”

Detective Frank Truax testified that he arrested Osler yesterday afternoon in his home at the Mt. Ephraim Avenue address, after the Zimmie girl had accused him.

On the stand and the object of the stare of those who packed the courtroom, Mamie dramatically recited the events of yesterday afternoon which led to her leap from the porch roof and her removal to the West Jersey Hospital, cut, bruised and lame.

The girl's leap had been witnessed by Frank Clark, of 1006 South Ninth Street who picked her up and took her to the hospital. She was treated for cuts and bruises and allowed to go home. Her father, William Zimmie, testified that his daughter had complained of pains in her back, all night. On the stand in his own defense, Osler said that Mamie had followed him into the house and up the stairs. “When I went into the bathroom to get some money, she jumped out of the window, I did not know her,” he declared .

CAMDEN COURIER-POST - January 31, 1928

Youth Accused by Child of Luring Into House is Held for Trial

After little 10-year-old Mamie Zimmie, 1181 Morton Street, finished telling a story of how she had been lured into a house, and had escaped by leaping to the ground from a porch roof. Police Judge Bernard Bertman this morning held Samuel Osler, 18 years old, 1450 Mount Ephraim Avenue in $2500 bail for the Grand Jury.

In default young Osler was committed to the county jail.

Facing a courtroom, crowded with spectators, and showing no sign of fear or excitement, Mamie, while on the witness stand, turned toward the youth, six years her senior, and declared, "That’s the boy who tried to hurt me.”

Detective Frank Truax testified that he arrested Osler yesterday afternoon in his home at the Mt. Ephraim Avenue address, after the Zimmie girl had accused him.

On the stand and the object of the stare of those who packed the courtroom, Mamie dramatically recited the events of yesterday afternoon which led to her leap from the porch roof and her removal to the West Jersey Hospital, cut, bruised and lame.

The girl's leap had been witnessed by Frank Clark, of 1006 South Ninth Street who picked her up and took her to the hospital. She was treated for cuts and bruises and allowed to go home. Her father, William Zimmie, testified that his daughter had complained of pains in her back, all night. On the stand in his own defense, Osler said that Mamie had followed him into the house and up the stairs. “When I went into the bathroom to get some money, she jumped out of the window, I did not know her,” he declared .

CAMDEN COURIER-POST - January 31, 1928


A bench warrant for Herman Max Schwartz in whose home at 214 Byron Street, a 50-gallon still was seized yesterday afternoon, was issued by Judge Bertman when Schwartz failed to appear at Police Court today. Bertman was informed by a policeman sent to find him that Schwartz was in Philadelphia.

Bertman called Harry Albert, formerly active in Seventh Ward politics, to the front of the courtroom. Pointing to Mrs. Rosie Speller, 39 years old, 241 Burns Street, held as a material witness., Bertman asked Albert if he had told the woman or Schwartz to stay away from the court. Albert denied he had said anything.

"I was told you had.” Bertman declared, as Albert returned to his seat.

Mrs. Speller was detained yesterday afternoon when Police Captains Naylor and Cunningham and Detective Branch seized the still, a quantity of mash, and 24 empty cans in Schwartz’s home.

CAMDEN COURIER-POST - January 31, 1928

Bertman Orders Saloonkeeper Nabbed After Wine Testimony

When an 18 year-old girl testified that she had been drinking wine, and that she had seen the defendant in a reckless driving case drinking in the barroom before their automobile was in a collision, Judge Bernard Bertman in Traffic Court this morning ordered the arrest of a South Camden saloonkeeper.

He directed police to bring John Pescendrio, alleged keeper of a saloon at Third and Mechanic Streets, into court.

Bertman had been hearing testimony in the case against Charles Woomer, 42 years old, of New Sharon. Woomer was arrested on complaint of Edward H. Fow of Third and Penn Streets, after the cars of the two men had collided at Second and Cooper Streets.

Fow testified that Woomer had been drinking. Dr. Charles Ley testified that Woomer was fit to drive an auto­mobile, but may have had a drink or two before the examination which followed his arrest.

Marie McConaghy, 18 years old, of Third and Atlantic Avenue, was injured. She told Judge Bertman she was riding in Woomer’s car. She said she had had two glasses of wine. Asked where, she bought them, Miss McConaghy said “at a salon at Third and Mechanic when I met Woomer.”

Woomer testified that the girl asked him for a ride “uptown”. He denied he had been drinking, although the girl, recalled to the stand, testified that Woomer and other men were drinking wine at the bar.

Woomer was fined $25.


January 31, 1928





February 10, 1928



Camden Courier-Post - February 10, 1928

Bernard Bertman - Watson Shallcross - Stanley Wirtz

Camden Courier-Post - February 14, 1928

Bernard Bertman - Thomas Kauffman - James Wilson - Charles Stone
John D. Wysocki - Emil Muckensturm Jr.
Broadway - Kaighn Avenue - Tulip Street - Walnut Street - Washington Street


February 15, 1928

Pine Street
Decatur Street




February 15, 1928

Mechanic Street
Beckett Street


Bernard Bertman
Walter Patton



Camden Courier-Post - February 16, 1928

Walter Patton - Raymond Stark - Federal Street - Henry S. Ford - Bernard Bertman


February 17, 1928

Rose Street
Sycamore Street

Bernard Bertman

Joseph Romanowski
Joseph Leconey




February 20, 1928

Birch Street
South 2nd Street

Bernard Bertman
Harry Kreher

John Gillis
Artilo Alleva




February 20, 1928

Chestnut Street
Clover Street
South 7th Street

Bernard Bertman

William May
William C. Clark


February 20, 1928

Fifth Ward Republican Club
Kaighn Avenue

Bernard Bertman
Leonard Brehm
John Carroll
George Cotter
Charles H. Elfreth
Kirby Garwood
Rox Gimello
Theodore Kausel
William Kensler
George W. Nichols
Winfield S. Price
Leo B. Rea
Clay W. Reesman
David S. Rhone
Harley C. Shinn

Camden Courier-Post - February 21, 1928

Bernard Bertman - Joseph Carpani - John Kowal - Walter Smith
Anna May Frye - Louis Vennell
Federal Street - Stevens Street -

Camden Courier-Post - February 21, 1928

Inveighs Against Unreasonable Searches in Freeing Couple

Bernard Bertman - Walter Welch - William Horner - Louis Schlam
Conrad Bristol - Elizabeth Bristol
North 30th Street


February 21, 1928

Benson Street
Fifth Street

Bernard Bertman
George Fontana


February 21, 1928


Edward Youngblood


February 25, 1928

Carteret Street
Newton Avenue
Wright Avenue

Herbert Anderson
Walter Anderson
Bernard Bertman


February 25, 1928

North 5th Street

Charles Johnson
Howard Thomas


February 25, 1928

Washington Street

Bernard Bertman
William J. Kraft
Burroughs K. Poulson

Camden Courier-Post - February 27, 1928

Bernard Bertman - Zed Gandy - Joseph Little - Joseph Roberts
Erie Street - Point Street - North 7th Street - North 21st Street - North 44th Street
Market Street Ferry

Camden Courier-Post - February 27, 1928
Blonde, Accusing Three Men Disappears as Time for Trial Nears
Husband Reports 2-Year Old Daughter Also Has Vanished
Bernard Bertman - Samuel M. Shay - Fiore Troncone
James Abbonizio - Fiore Dalesandro - Louis Derenzo - Thomas O'Neil
Michael Riccarti - Sara Riccarti
South 2nd Street -
South Third Street - South 4th Street
Benson Street - Pearl Street - Pine Street -
Stevens Street - Washington Street   


April 2, 1928

Andrew Masciak
Pauline Masciak
1135 Chestnut Street


Camden Courier-Post - April 3, 1928
Author Patrolman Reads Thrilling Narrative of Capture
Third Prisoner Nabbed by Second Policeman; All Get Jail
Bernard Bertman - Joseph Ward - John V. Wilkie
Harleigh Cemetery
9th Street - Mickle Street - Spruce Street

Camden Courier-Post
June 30, 1928

Bernard Bertman
Donald Pollard
Line Street
Baxter Street

Camden Courier-Post * September 26, 1928
Dr. David Rhone - Joseph "Mose" Flannery - Lewis H. Stehr Jr.
Bernard Bertman - David Baird Jr. - Winfield Price - Thomas Cheeseman Westwood Perrine - Elizabeth Tiedeken
Anna Brennan - Walnut Street - Kaighn Avenue - Front Street

Camden Courier-Post * June 25, 1929
Walter S. Keown - Joseph Wallworth - Elizabeth Verga - Harry C. Sharp - William D. Sayrs
Howard B. Dyer - Laura Silberg - Lottie Stinson - Harold W. Bennett - Edward R. Diebert
Bernard Bertman - L. Scott Cherchesky - Carl Kisselman - Frank Voigt - David Baird Sr.
Francis Ford Patterson Jr. - Al Matthews - W. Penn Corson - Charles A. Wolverton
Clinton L. Bardo - Col. George L. Selby - Daniel Silbers

Camden Morning Post - December 12, 1930

Bernard Bertman - Herbert Koehler - Jennie Harvey - Broadway

Camden Courier-Post - March 12, 1930


Found guilty of carrying a gun, Richard H. Morrow, 24, of 2319 Howell Street, as fined $150 by Judge Shay in Criminal Court yesterday. He will be permitted to pay the fine in installments.

The fine was imposed after a plea for leniency was made by Morrow's attorney, Bernard Bertman. Morrow was arrested in a raid on a house at Second and Spruce Streets. 

Camden Courier-Post - February 12, 1938

The new edition of the Who's Who in America Jewry" lists eight residents of Camden among the 10,140 Jewish notables in Camden, to wit: Bernard Bertman, A. M. Ellis, Dr. Hyman Goldstein, I. B. Levine, Herman Natal, Rabbi N. H. J. Riff, Leon H. Rose and Samuel Shane.

Camden Courier-Post - September 13, 1940