ALBERT EDWARD JAMES was well known in Camden's Eighth Ward in the 1890s and 1900s as a politician, fireman, and bar owner. He was the son of William James and his wife, the former Sarah Ann Squires. According to the 1900 Census he was born in September of 1866. His place of birth was a village called Mansfield Woodhouse, in Nottinghamshire, England. His family soon moved to Ruddington, about 23 miles to the south, where brother William James Jr. (1870–1934) was born on February 17, 1870. The family was still in Ruddington the following year when the census was taken. Two more children were born in England, Frederick, around 1873, and Charlotte around 1879.William James emigrated to the United States in 1879, then sent for his wife and children. Mrs. James and her children followed William James to America, arrived in America after Liverpool, England and stopping in Queenstown, Ireland aboard the S.S. British Empire, arriving in Philadelphia on February 14, 1880. Two sons were born to the family in Pennsylvania, most likely in Philadelphia, Frank, in 1882, and Charles James, in 1887, and a daughter, Sadie, born around 1885. The James family came to Camden shortly afterwards, and settled in Camden's Eighth Ward. Edward James Married Katherine Taylor McBride around 1887. It is unclear as of this writing whether they wed in Camden or in Pennsylvania.

The 1888 City Directory shows William James Sr. at 1927 South 6th Street, working as a weaver in a hosiery mill. Albert James first appears in Camden Directories in 1891 and 1892, also working as a weaver and residing at 1746 South 6th Street. The 1894 edition shows him following the same trade and 
residing at 555 Van Hook Street. In 1894 he was appointed to the Camden Fire Department. He served with Engine Company 3, 1815 Broadway. Also in 1894, Albert James' brother William married Ella Fish in 1894, her father Judson K. Fish, was politically active and had served on the Camden Fire Department in the 1880s. William James soon had a job with Camden's Water Department, where he worked for over 30 years.

Newspapers of the day show that Albert James was quite active in social and political affairs in Camden. He would remain so for the rest of his days, long after leaving the city. 

The 1897 City Directory shows Albert James at 429 Webster Street. Albert James mother, Mrs. Sarah Ann James, died at her home, 1914 Fillmore Street, on August 13, 1897. By 1899 Directories from 1899 through 1903 show Albert and Katherine James at 1711 Broadway. The 1900 Census shows a sister, Sarah (nicknamed Sadie), aged 15, who most likely is the sister of Albert James's wife.

Albert James left the Camden Fire Department in 1900 to take a position as the janitor of the John W. Mickle School at South 6th Street and Van Hook Street. He kept this position until 1905 when he went into the saloon business, acquiring the bar at 1819 Broadway from Martin Ewe. The application to transfer the license to Albert James was filed in June of that year. Sadie James had gone to live with her sister Charlotte at 212 Elm Street but her heart appears to have been in the Eight Ward. On May 8, 1907 she married Charles Murschel, the son of John Murschel, who owned and operated the salon at 2001 Broadway from 1894 to 1916.

By September of 1909 Albert James had had enough of serving liquor. He took a position as an insurance agent and had moved to Collingswood by the time the 1910 Census was enumerated, living there with his wife and father. At some point during the 1910s he was offered a post in the Atlantic City area, and moved to Pleasantville, New Jersey. The 1920 Census shows that Albert and his wife had moved there, while his father stayed in Camden.

Albert James lived out his days in Pleasantville. Always politically active, he was an associate of Enoch "Nucky" Johnson and served as a coroner in Atlantic County for seven years. Albert James held a post as a clerk in Atlantic City government from 1933 until his death on June 22, 1940.

Albert and Katherine James had no children. His brother William Judson James married Ella Fish, the daughter of Judson K. Fish, who had served with the Camden Fire Department as an extra man in the 1880s. William worked over 30 years in Camden's Water Department. He died in 1934.

Philadelphia Inquirer - May 30, 1894

 Joseph Logue - William Patterson - George Cox
David Andrews - John A. Dold - William Jobes
William O. Sawyer - Albert James - Samuel Curriden

Daily Telegram

May 31, 1894

James Baird
 Joseph Logue
William Patterson
George Cox

David Andrews
John A. Dold
William Jobes
William O. Sawyer
Albert James

Samuel Curriden

James Elberson

Charles J. "Jeff" Kay

Camden Daily Courier
September 26, 1894

 Ladder Company 1
Engine Company 3
George Shields
Peter Gray
Albert James

Dr. Thomas R. Blackwood
Odd Fellows

Camden Post-Telegram September 9, 1894

 Albert James - John Beard - Church of the Immaculate Conception

Camden Courier
November 8, 1894

Albert James
Engine Company 3

Camden Post
June 13, 1895

Albert James
Samuel Cox - James O. Smith
Gabriel P. Johnson -
Samuel Peoples
Thomas Buchanan - George Chambers
Frank Chambers - Benjamin H. Thomas Jr.

Young Republican Club of the Eighth Ward

Camden Post
May 26, 1896

Albert James - William James

Camden Post
August 31, 1897

William James
Dr. A. Haines Lippincott
Ferry Avenue
Albert James

Engine Company 3

Camden Evening Courier
June 29, 1899

Samuel Lodge
George Shields
Lewis Buzine
John Ware
John A. Dold
William Deno
Albert James

Engine Company 3

Camden Evening Courier * July 31, 1899

Camden Evening Courier
November 27, 1900

Walter Wilson - Mt. Vernon School
William Munson -
Sumner School
Harry Vansant -
Mickle School
Albert Holland - Raymond Lawson

Albert James
- William C. Reeve 
Florence Tourtelot -
North East School

Mrs. Elvin - Central School - May Rogers - Ella Cooper - Lincoln School - Helen Bowyer 
Fetters School - Mulford School - Nellie Tullis - Edith Anderson

Camden Evening Courier
November 29, 1900

Albert James
Frank Chambers

Engine Company 3

Camden Evening Courier
April 21, 1904

Eighth Ward Republican Club
Church of Our Savior
Alfred Snow
Mary Collins
Frank Chambers
William James
James Harker
Albert James
Samuel Cook
Alexander Purnell
Harry Schorpp
Frank D.L. Covely
James Croker

Camden Post-Telegram
June 19, 1905

Martin Ewe - Albert James
Emma Moore - Christian Staib
Federal Street - South 6th street
Fred Roth - James Carroll

Camden Daily Courier
December 24, 1906

Albert James
George Staib 
William M. Dilmore Club
Fireside New Years Association
Eli Hunt
USS Texas
James Hunt
Matthew Acker
Pine Street
William Daly
USS Virginia BB-13

Camden Post-Telegram
December 3, 1908

South End Pleasure Club
William J. Hart
Albert James

Charles Daubmann

Camden Post-Telegram
September 2, 1909

Michael Priore - B. Tammizo
South 4th Street - Broadway
Hugo Uhlig - Ernest F. Jones
Albert James - Jacob Pfisterer
Josephine Ventresca
Division Street - Locust Street

Camden Courier-Post - June 12, 1933

Old Centreville Families 
Dr. Donges, Mills, Schepperkittes, Covely and Other Men Wrought Through Years to Bring Needed Improvements to District


WHEN a larger community annexes an adjoining district the newer area is generally regarded, for a time at least, as a step-child. Older residents of East Camden will bear out that truism when they recall how difficult it was to obtain improvements. Years before, Newton Township which became part of Camden, had had the same experience. Under such circumstances, it requires tireless energy on the part of leading men to get what their district needs. Demands often go unheeded unless the community is fortunate in having those of spirit who insist on street improvements, water extension, lighting facilities and schools. That was more in evidence half a century ago than now, of course, for Camden itself was little more than a large village. 

Down in Centreville there were men who looked after the interests of their constituents, who slowly but surely obtained, improvements and who insisted on being recognized by the powers that be. No one may think of old Centreville without thought of Dr. John W. Donges, whose value to not only that section but Camden at large, has been expatiated upon in these annals. He was not only a leading physician, with a practice extending into Camden, but a leader in many civic movements, and any article on that era would be incomplete without allusion again to the doctor whose services as a real family physician are part of the traditions of many old families. 

Came Here In 1872 

He came here in 1872 from Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, when his health was affected by overwork through loyalty to his patients. He bought the drugstore at Ferry Avenue and Broadway, remaining there for many years. It was there Supreme Court Justice Ralph W. E. Donges spent his boyhood. 

There, too, Dr. Clarence B. Donges and Attorney Raymond Donges were boys. Grant E. Kirk, clerk in his store, later becoming a physician and for several years a member of council and at one time being prominently boomed for mayor, married their sister. Dr. Donges was elected to council in 1878 on the Democratic ticket, itself an evidence of the high regard in which he was held, for the Eighth Ward generally was rock­ribbed Republican. Until the early part of this century he resided in his old place, but later went to Broadway and Clinton Streets. In later years, after he had retired, he was city assessor, "just to keep busy." He died a few years ago, well in his 80s, mourned by a great host of Camdenites.

There was another widely known Centreville family of the old days, that of Samuel Mills, who had his own abattoir at Broadway and Jackson Street, where city-dressed meats were provided before the days of car refrigeration brought supplies from the great packing places in Chicago. His son, Charlie, was long a member of the Board of Education, while another, William, was a city councilman. Edward Milis, another son, was excise commissioner 35 years ago in the days when there was plenty of trouble with Sunday sellers. 

Cornelius Schepperkotter was a factor in politics down that way, too, having a grocery store on Ferry Avenue at Ninth, later moving to the southwest corner when the Charles Sumner School was built. That school was torn down two years ago for the recreation center. Schepperkotter was a member of the old Board of Public Instruction in the late 90's, named by Mayor Cooper B. Hatch. In later years and until his death, he was superintendent of Evergreen Cemetery. He was father of Mrs. Frank S. Albright, wife of City Clerk Albright

Frank Covely 

Shortly after the New York shipyard was opened, there moved to the "Hill" Frank D. L. Covely, who became a joiner and for years was foreman of the joiner shop. He was widely known as a secret society man and also as an effective campaign speaker for the G. O. P. He was a member of the Board of Education. 

He sought to go to council, but that was at the time Kirk was a power in the ward. Covely laughingly used to tell of a meeting all set for him from which all save the colored folk were drawn away through strategy of his party opponents. But for ten years he was a member of the Board of Recreation Commissioners. 

That movement owed much to his work. Nor did he forget his colored friends, for he had a playground established for them at Ferry Avenue and Phillips Street and the large one [Staley Park- PMC] at Seventh and Jefferson streets. Long afterward that was named for another city official, but Covely's friends said it should have been for him, as a monument to his services for the boys and girls of Centreville. He died a few years ago at Bellmawr in his 70s, after a hectic experience as a chicken raiser at Port Norris. 

There, too, was William Dorrell, superjntendent of the old "Narrow Guage" who was one of the leading spirits in the paving of Broadway, nearly 60 years ago the big issue of that section. He lived in a house along the railroad still standing, as the hospital and dispensary of the shipyard. 

Mention has been made of the Ferrises, the Helmbolds, the Yeagers, of Squire James D. Chester and Squire F. Joseph Rouh. There was also William O. Thompson, the leading contractor down that way for many years and Theodore Tiedeken, who established the wagon works on Van Hook Street, Martin Ewe, who had the hotel at Broadway and Emerald, and down the street a bit James Croker, who operated Tammany Hall. Forty years ago there was one of the best young athletes of the city, Thomas Nicholas, now retired Camden fire chief. He was down in old No. 3 with Bill Rose, long a fire captain, Bill Miller, Al James, Sam Lodge, Gus Dold and Jim Ware.

Many of these old timers have passed on, but others are still in the flesh but scattered to all parts of the city but it may be said the survivors look back on the days that were down there in Centreville with an interest that does not dim with the passing years.

Camden Courier-Post
June 22, 1940